TV news and views
couch potatoes unite

Really enjoyed this miniseries. Some outstanding acting and some of the best on-location shots of New York I've seen in film/tv recently.
1 user liked this post: Potato
Both new seasons of House of Dragon and The Boys are a bit of a slog.

Lately I’ve been waiting for shows to end their season before watching. These are the only two I’m keeping up with week to week. The formula is hard to ignore. No spoilers, a couple times now House of Dragon drags episode out to end with a “shocking” event and the first chunk of the next episode is people standing around sad and mourning.
1 user liked this post: D3RANG3D
(07-16-2024, 07:52 AM)Polident wrote: Both new seasons of House of Dragon and The Boys are a bit of a slog.

Lately I’ve been waiting for shows to end their season before watching. These are the only two I’m keeping up with week to week. The formula is hard to ignore. No spoilers, a couple times now House of Dragon drags episode out to end with a “shocking” event and the first chunk of the next episode is people standing around sad and mourning.

I'm with you on HotD. I was vibing with it for the first few episodes, but--even rationally understanding that things are happening--it feels like I've rewatched the same episode 3 times now.

I also wonder how the showrunners didn't notice that one half of the participants of the conflict have the charisma of a tree stump. Every time the scene switches to Dragonstone I have to sigh.
1 user liked this post: Polident
(07-22-2024, 05:19 PM)Nintex wrote:

This is the consistent problem with large, johnny-come-lately partners being great at the thing that made them money: they're always looking at the next quarter, /maybe/ the next year. 

Committing to invading others' successful model isn't something that can be done in a year, two, or even 5 or 6 years. Committing and pushing through is the only thing which will succeed. Giving up after producing award-winning entertainment is the craziest damned thing. 

If they want to own the space, they shouldn't waver.
They stupidly thought "streaming" was a new industry rather than just a distribution change for an existing long-running one.

Netflix has been the company that's seemingly known this and the others haven't, I assume because their business started as literally distributing physical media. Something which none of the other companies ever had experience with since they paid other people to do it or didn't do it at all.

Apple's overbite is funnier because they're one of the first companies with how they sold TV/movies through iTunes and Jobs absolutely understood the bargain he was getting.
2 users liked this post: chronovore, killamajig
(07-29-2024, 06:23 AM)benji wrote: They stupidly thought "streaming" was a new industry rather than just a distribution change for an existing long-running one.

Netflix has been the company that's seemingly known this and the others haven't, I assume because their business started as literally distributing physical media. Something which none of the other companies ever had experience with since they paid other people to do it or didn't do it at all.

Apple's overbite is funnier because they're one of the first companies with how they sold TV/movies through iTunes and Jobs absolutely understood the bargain he was getting.

Hesright

Unfortunately for streamers I'm one of those people that doesn't like to start a TV show when I think it's going to get canceled in the first season. And if there's a bunch of people like me, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. 

*In infomercial voice* "There's got to be a better way!!!"
I've been watching Presumed Innocent. A fairly on the nose apple show. Jake Gyllenhall is two dimensional lawyer sort who makes bad decisions and gets stressed about it. He has a best friend who is a good actor and a wife who is a bad actor with whom he has no chemistry. Everyone keeps going on about how beautiful she is but she's just kinda alright? He's having an affair with his colleague! Who is also constantly called beautiful but is kind of alright. Anyway, Jake Gyllenhal is very stressed and continues to make bad decisions while the only good actor in the show gives lectures to him about being a good lawyer guy in the middle of his own case. The bad guy is a big sweaty greasy fella, who looks like he stinks and has murdered five people. But he's just Jake's rival! Who wants to get him because Jake is a cool lawyer guy who fucks. That's pretty much the whole show.
(07-24-2024, 04:16 PM)DavidCroquet wrote:
(07-16-2024, 07:52 AM)Polident wrote: Both new seasons of House of Dragon and The Boys are a bit of a slog.

I'm with you on HotD. I was vibing with it for the first few episodes, but--even rationally understanding that things are happening--it feels like I've rewatched the same episode 3 times now.

I also wonder how the showrunners didn't notice that one half of the participants of the conflict have the charisma of a tree stump. Every time the scene switches to Dragonstone I have to sigh.

What I’m now learning is the showrunners changed this season, or at least Miguel Sapochnik left.

Next week is the season finale and it’s felt like spinning wheels. Daemon is having a vision quest again this week. Oh boy.
1 user liked this post: HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth
Great use of Disarm in that trailer.

Still not interested in anything Terminator after T2
1 user liked this post: HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth
Speaking of showrunners spinning the wheels, I have to say I'm very disappointed in The Bear Season 3; I'm all for character moments and decompression, but literally three Things Of Importance happen all season - a character is pregnant, a review is written of the restaurant, and a character has to sign a contract - of which only one actually gets fucking resolved when they have a baby.
I'll follow where someone is going if I trust they know where that is, but when you spend a quarter of your runtime on a cold open that is a documentary about magicians that eventually reveals itself to be something a character is watching on TV, or endless montages of instagram food reels, I think its all getting a little self indulgent.
2 users liked this post: Cauliflower Of Love, MoonlightJazz
House of Dragon's seconds season is an impressive fumble. First season did a good job recovering after GoT's final season. Whether it's a writing strike situation or dragging it out to get more seasons in, they managed to make 3 to 4 episodes worth of story into 8.
Binged Terminator 0, and it's actually pretty good...I'd give it a 7/10 it's nowhere near the first two movies but is easily better than the newer media if you ask me. Elon

Spoiler:  (click to show)
The animation on the first episode is pretty damn good, it was pretty uneven after that, and the fights/gun battles were kind of awkward.

Spoiler:  (click to show)
 They also did the thing where there are no lazer guns in the future like the newer terminator movies.  Triggered
1 user liked this post: chronovore