Multiplayer 2D beat 'em ups thread
I've been having a few nostalgic moments of late thinking about my youth spent at arcades playing multiplayer beat 'em ups like TMNT, Final Fight, Double Dragon and the like.

I know there have been a bunch of remakes and updates and new games recently, but haven't really kept up with what's good and what's shite.

I know the new TMNT is supposed to be great and Streets of Rage 4, and I think I own the Capcom beat 'em up collection but what else is out there that anyone can recommend?

I'd really love to introduce my kids to the genre, so 3&4-player would be a big plus.

TMNT new DLC trailer for attention
2 users liked this post: Gameboy Nostalgia, Tucker's Law
I had a moment of joy seeing Usagi show up in that trailer, never expected that character to return anywhere.
1 user liked this post: Gameboy Nostalgia
Dungeons and Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara
River City Girls games
The Scott Pilgrim game
Castle Crashers
The TMNT Cowabunga collection
Most Sega Genesis collections have the Streets of Rage and Golden Axe.
Dragon's Crown.

Think that's everything that's easily available. Build your own MAME cabinet for more goodness.
2 users liked this post: Gameboy Nostalgia, Potato
(06-20-2023, 09:01 AM)HardcoreRetro wrote: Build your own MAME cabinet for more goodness.

That's an option for down the track. Get that authentic feel.
1 user liked this post: Gameboy Nostalgia
SOR4 is way better than it has any right to be IMO. I got really addicted to it for a couple weeks after it came out.

My new gen sleeper hit game in this genre I always recommend is Fight N Rage https://store.steampowered.com/app/674520/FightN_Rage/

Its kinda like a tricked out Final Fight/ SoR hybrid (hence the name i guess lol) with super crunchy feeling hits, I think the key features are 
  • fuckin sick ass battle system
  • branching paths to make replays interesting
  • no RPG bloat forcing grind like castle crashers and other modern games in this genre

I feel like the art and music might be divisive, but I kinda like the "one maniac in south america made this thing for himself" aesthetic of the thing
5 users liked this post: Gameboy Nostalgia, MMaRsu, saltygeneraltso, bork, Potato
The new Turtles game is great even in singleplayer.
(06-20-2023, 11:47 AM)remy wrote: SOR4 is way better than it has any right to be IMO. I got really addicted to it for a couple weeks after it came out.

My new gen sleeper hit game in this genre I always recommend is Fight N Rage https://store.steampowered.com/app/674520/FightN_Rage/

Its kinda like a tricked out Final Fight/ SoR hybrid (hence the name i guess lol) with super crunchy feeling hits, I think the key features are 
  • fuckin sick ass battle system
  • branching paths to make replays interesting
  • no RPG bloat forcing grind like castle crashers and other modern games in this genre

I feel like the art and music might be divisive, but I kinda like the "one maniac in south america made this thing for himself" aesthetic of the thing

This game is amazing and always seems to fly under the radar.  It is a little bit on the nsfw-ish side though.
Another recent beat-em-up that's pretty good:

There's also Paprium, which AFAIK is still only available on the Mega Drive/Genesis as a physical cartridge.  Not sure if it got dumped and made playable yet.

The game is going to finally come to modern platforms whenever though.
3 users liked this post: Gameboy Nostalgia, bork, Potato
Picked up one of these for cheap.

[Image: 3cyWbKJ.jpeg]

Made playing games like Magic Sword in the Capcom Academy Stadium much better
4 users liked this post: Gameboy Nostalgia, Nintex, Tucker's Law, bork
Streets of Rage 4 is great. But in all fairness, Streets of Rage V5 Remake still has my love

3 users liked this post: Gameboy Nostalgia, Potato, D3RANG3D