Games of the year fuckery
Post embarrassing game is the year takes in here.
Yes, it's that time of year again when dickhead video game "journalists" post their end of year lists that show how fucking stupid and useless they are.

I know these listicles are just meant to drum up anger and argument, but I'm a sucker for a good rant so let's go. Post the stupid takes in here.

I'll start with LOLtaku and their top 12 games is the year (why 12?) Confused

12 Resident Evil 4
11 Spiderman 2 (now the Top 12 makes sense. Had to fit this one in contractually)
10 Dave the Diver (Protip: if you want credibility and plausible deniability, always throw an indie darling into the list to deflect your shitty choices)
09 Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty (Umm, isn't this an expansion?)
08 Star Wars Jedi: Survivor (Does anyone even remember this game?)
07 Diablo 4 (Was anyone happy with this game? Seems people found it, meh to me)
06 Super Mario Bros Wonder
05 Armoured Core 6
04 Street Fighter 6
03 Baldur's Gate 3
02 LoZ: Tears of the Kingdom
Spoiler:  (click to show)
01 Alan Wake 2

Not saying Alan Wake is not a good game, but GotY over Zelda and Baldur's Gate? Fucking lol. Obvious outrage bait.

Give me more dumb lists below.
I'm seeing the Star Wars game pop-up everywhere now Money

PC version still isn't fixed according to the Autisty Foundry
Dave the Diver ain't even indie. It's by Nexon.

I'd put RE4 Remake at Diablo 4's spot and drop Diablo 4 and Star Wars from the list. Leave the rest as is, and it's an okay list.

Alan Wake 2 has enough of that Remedy flavour to at least be some people's GOTY.
As far as games-as-stories go, I think FF16 was easily the best this year (especially the VO and narrative), but I suppose it was doomed to be left off these lists as soon as the retarded and incestuous games press community began pushing that the game is “not diverse enough”.

For games-as-games, the year was super stacked with bangers like TOTK, BG3, AC6, FF16, and SMBW. Been awhile since we had a year with so many high-profile titles that are deserving.
TotK sucks though. Worst Zelda game since the ones on ds.
Star 
GOTY is difficult for me.

TOTK is amazing but some mechanics overstay their welcome. There is a LOT of rock mining in there which isn't a great mechanic but apparently the director was a big fan. 
The enemies while more varied than BOTW are still a lot more repetitive than something like Elden Ring. The building while technically impressive takes so much time that it is usually easier/faster to just use horses and Links abilities instead. Some mechanics are kind of janky like activating the abilities of the sages as are the controls for selecting items.

But recently it literally turned into Super Mario Galaxy for no reason at all and that instantly made it a 10/10 again for me.
However, that sums up the whole experience with the game, you play, get to this 10/10 moment, it falls back to 8/10 busy work and then suddenly another 10/10 moment shows up. Rinse, repeat. Still, just because of all the great stuff and the immense scale and the insane abilities it feels like GOTY.

However, if I look at GOTY from a category by category perspective, Alan Wake 2 wins hands down.

1. Best narrative by some distance
2. Best graphics by some distance (only Cyberpunk 2077 and RE4 can compete)
3. Best art direction (the best rendition of a Nolan-esque Matrix and True Detective / Fincher aesthetic in a videogame ever)
4. Best music (the number of original vocal songs is just crazy)
5. Best sound design (how it didn't win this award at the VGAs is a mystery)
6. Best direction (live action, cutscenes, musicals all perfectly blended together)
7. Best performance (Mr. Door, Alan Wake, perfect performances all around)

But there's one category it doesn't win and that is gameplay. The gameplay is good but not as good or unique as the rest of the game. And that brings me to another game, Resident Evil 4 + Seperate Ways. Because while not as surprising as TOTK can be or as unique as Alan Wake 2 it has near perfect gameplay, combined with nearly the best graphics, direction, sound etc. . And finally there is a game with perfect gameplay too: Super Mario Wonder. Except for the bosses.
1 user liked this post: Gameboy Nostalgia
Todd and Aarons' 2023 game awards can't come soon enough.
1 user liked this post: Nintex

Gamespot

Nominated / unordered
HiFi Rush
Hitman Freelancer
Octopath Traveler II
Resident Evil 4
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Street Fighter 6
Baldur's Gate 3
Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty
Super Mario Wonder
Alan Wake 2

Game of the Year:
Baldur's Gate 3
DFs John Linneman comes in with the first interesting list

In order:
11. HiFi Rush
10. Gravity Circuit
9. myhouse.wad
8. Alan Wake 2
7. Robocop Rogue City
6. Resident Evil 4
5. YS X Nordics
4. Bomb Rush Cyberfunk
3. System Shock
2. Super Mario Wonder
1. Armored Core 6
Leaving TotK off is certainly a take.
1 user liked this post: chronovore
I played about an hour of it and didn't care for it Elon
The opening is slow (not Starfield slow but still slower than BOTW) but its an amazing game overall. Easily one of the best Zelda games and best games of all time.
TOTK is brilliant and would've been my GOTY had I not played FF16.  Not that TOTK is without flaws, but I feel like most of the complaints for it are along the lines of "too much of a good thing".
Anyone who has played it cannot deny that it's one of the 10 best games of the year. Doesn't have to be your first choice, but it's a remarkable achievement, even just because it's one of the only games that worked almost flawlessly out of the box and didn't require a bunch of updates and expansion packs to iron out severe performance issues.
2 users liked this post: chronovore, Nintex
I'm actually surprised by how few updates it got. I think they patched out some farming exploits and improved performance but that was it. 

It has one semi-broken quest though but that has more to do with the explanation of the quest.

The 4 eyes you need to return to the statue. The wording of the quest makes it sounds like you need to throw all 4 into the Chasm first and then take them to the statue. But if you do that they'll respawn back to their starting positions. The proper way to do the quest is to throw in each eye one at a time and dive in after them.
It took me some time to figure it out.

Also they did something else that took me a while to realize. A lot of objects like White Chu Jelly and Ice Fruits look different but have the same effect.
This way instead of 200+ unique objects there's actually 30 or 50 in total. Still impressive but a neat trick to keep it all manageable.
Unfortunately I was limited with what new releases I could play this year. Switch games win by default.

So, 

1. Zelda BOTW2
2. Mario Wonder
3. HROT

Probably would've been top pick if I played more: Armored Core 6. Other games needed to play more and would’ve been up there: Robocop, Resident Evil 4, System Shock, Pikmin 4, Alan Wake 2,
3 users liked this post: Tucker's Law, chronovore, Potato
(12-30-2023, 04:52 AM)Polident wrote: Unfortunately I was limited with what new releases I could play this year. Switch games win by default.

So, 

1. Zelda BOTW2
2. Mario Wonder
3. HROT

Probably would've been top pick if I played more: Armored Core 6. Other games needed to play more and would’ve been up there: Robocop, Resident Evil 4, System Shock, Pikmin 4, Alan Wake 2,

Same boat, I had only so much time for games and this year was absolutely awash in likely-excellent titles I just didn’t get to playing yet.
1 user liked this post: Polident
Late contender

12. Raise a Peter
11. Pizza Tower 
10. Cocoon
9. Super Mario RPG
8. Resident Evil 4
7. Alan Wake II
6. Metroid Prime Remastered
5. Yakuza 0 / Yakuza 7
4. Super Mario Wonder
3. Street Fighter 6