“Every day, I come by your house and I pick you up.
Movies
1 user liked this post: MJBarret
Hanuman Wick Thinking
1 user liked this post: chronovore
(02-06-2024, 07:09 PM)benji wrote:

roadtrip is a classic Snob

it may well be that last film i ever got on vhs thinking about it Titus
3 users liked this post: chronovore, HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth, Potato
Ryan Reynolds coming to save the MCU,
Spoiler:  (click to show)
figuratively and literally
2 users liked this post: D3RANG3D, HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth

Quote:Amazon has confirmed it’s not a mistake — your Amazon Prime Video subscription no longer includes Dolby Vision HDR or Dolby Atmos surround sound. That’s on top of the ads that Amazon injected into the service on January 29th. Now, when you pay $2.99 a month to remove those ads, you can get Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos back as well.

This deal is getting worse all the time.
Streaming was always an unrealistic business model at the prices they were charging. All of these new entries were always going to sell at an initial loss and then raise prices later. It's the internet business model, price it low to gain market share and subsist on investor money for a while and then raise the price to achieve profitability once competition has been eliminated.

Uber, Dropbox, Google Drive, Spotify. They are all following the same model.

As consumers, we need to be more selective about what we sub to.
2 users liked this post: chronovore, D3RANG3D
as consumers we need to support physical media Snob 

But yes, the whole thing is built on a house of cards. A lot of it had to do with cheap servers as Amazon, Microsoft Azure etc. were competing heavily on price to become the biggest cloud hosting service and take out all the smaller players. That already started to turn with the COVID demand, followed by the supply chain issues and now the AI boom which is eating up all the server resources and hardware components. Where before gaming and movies were 'subsidized' now the AI stuff is. Rumor has it that Google might leave the Cloud hosting space entirely.

Not to mention all the corpos overdoing it with data protection, GDPR and all that shit. I read somewhere that an enterprise Slack subscription for ~500 users sets you back 78k a month.
It's literally just text messages but apparently corpos demand 24/7 uptime and all information to be saved/retained/logged etc. etc. so they can see when Mike send a sexist meme to Cindy 4 years ago. Meanwhile folks use their 5 year old spare PCs to run 4k Plex streaming servers without a sweat.
2 users liked this post: NekoFever, D3RANG3D
Is the Uber version of supporting physical media called “buy a car”?
2 users liked this post: D3RANG3D, Nintex
2 users liked this post: benji, Nintex
Watched The Marvels with my daughter.

Dare I say it, some of it was pretty fun, but God damn the script was dire and the direction absolutely amateur.

Iman Vellani was great, the other two very wooden.
2 users liked this post: Nintex, chronovore
The Beekeeper

Good times of Jason Statham hitting people and dropping one liners. It’s best not to know the levels of escalation it gets into before watching. It’s pretty amazing in its absurdity. Fun companion piece to The Killer, too. Where that was all laborious planning and setup, here Statham will just show up in places and know things, and every other character is bewildered by him.
2 users liked this post: Nintex, HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth

Only for the US/Canada though, looks like following Australia physical releases in Europe are now also dead Feels bad, man
BlackBerry

This was great. At first I was confused if it was playing it straight or being a parody of Social Network and many, many, many other movies and series of its kind. Just in the recent streaming era you had shows on Uber, wework, theranos, and on. It’s somewhere in between. There’s an unusual authenticity to its setting and vibe. Some inside jokes like recreating photos of id with Carmack and Romero et al. And Michael Ironside makes an appearance.

Ok I just learned they re released it as a mini series with more footage. Gonna watch that.
(02-20-2024, 10:41 PM)Nintex wrote:

Only for the US/Canada though, looks like following Australia physical releases in Europe are now also dead Feels bad, man

I remember hearing some time ago about the HD-DVD / BluRay debacle, in that MS apparently strongly felt that digital streaming was going to be the future, so HD-DVD was just a stalling factor to keep Sony's BR efforts from achieving immediate ubiquity.
1 user liked this post: Nintex
You'd think that if they were that certain, then instead of investing in a DOA format war, they would have invested in an actual streaming service instead.

I guess that's Microsoft for you though
(02-21-2024, 03:17 AM)Potato wrote: You'd think that if they were that certain, then instead of investing in a DOA format war, they would have invested in an actual streaming service instead.

I guess that's Microsoft for you though

They did have a pseudo streaming VOD service on the XBox 360, because - typical MS - that was the hot new thing they were pushing right then.
Then - also typical MS - they got bored of that and abandoned it to push their new hotness, the windows phone.
2 users liked this post: chronovore, Potato
Watched DUNE Part 1 yesterday, ordered tickets for DUNE Part 2 today.

Not seeing a lot of mainstream buzz about the film yet so hopefully the hype picks once it releases like it did for Oppenheimer.
DUNE PART 2 was fucking amazing. Rejoice
3 users liked this post: NekoFever, Potato, chronovore
A bit of hype building here. I'm going to watch part 1 with my daughter again tonight and then try to watch part 2 tomorrow.
2 users liked this post: chronovore, Nintex
Hans Zimmer couldn't keep his mouth shut Rejoice 
Quote:Well, last question, have you stopped writing? Are you still writing music for “Dune”?

Of course. Denis comes in on the second day of shooting, and wordlessly comes in and puts “Dune: Messiah” on my desk, and I know where we’re going and I know we’re not done.
Bring on Dune Messiah fuckers!

That was amazing
2 users liked this post: chronovore, Nintex
Can’t wait but unfortunately will have to until next weekend.

I’m going to rewatch the first one tonight, though. The 4K disc sounds incredible Rejoice
FACT CHECK:
I agree. They’re far too big. Tremors was way more realistic.
Soooooo was the first clue their size, or the fact they shit out telepathy inducing psychotropics?

Still no cure for cancer btw

SCIENCE!

As was written Rejoice
2 users liked this post: NekoFever, Potato
We got our cinema back boys!!!
2 users liked this post: Nintex, NekoFever