“Every day, I come by your house and I pick you up.
Movies

Do Not Want
1 user liked this post: Gameboy Nostalgia
I'm up for it. The trailer narrative structure isn't great, but the visuals are pretty.
Watched Casablanca, a massive hole in my cinema vocabulary. It was amazing. Nazis get a lot softer treatment than any other movie I've seen; they behaved generally honorably but entitled. In every other movie I've seen, they would have just snapped up Lazlo and Ilsa, or even just trumped up a charge, arrested and abused Ilsa until Lazlo caved and gave the Nazis all the details. 

Also, isn't being an escaped prisoner enough reason to arrest Lazlo at any time? I guess that gets down to Germany operating in Unoccupied French Morocco rather than Occupied France… which they even bring up at one point. 

It's a lovely film. I want to know how they get everything to look like it has bloom except Ingrid Berman's eyes, which look like pools of stars. Just gorgeously shot. 

Also curious about the airport shots: several very clearly model planes on strings, while a few look legitimate. Why not use legitimate shots throughout?
1 user liked this post: Eric Cartman
(06-02-2024, 07:37 AM)chronovore wrote: Watched Casablanca, a massive hole in my cinema vocabulary. It was amazing. Nazis get a lot softer treatment than any other movie I've seen; they behaved generally honorably but entitled. In every other movie I've seen, they would have just snapped up Lazlo and Ilsa, or even just trumped up a charge, arrested and abused Ilsa until Lazlo caved and gave the Nazis all the details. 

Also, isn't being an escaped prisoner enough reason to arrest Lazlo at any time? I guess that gets down to Germany operating in Unoccupied French Morocco rather than Occupied France… which they even bring up at one point. 

It's a lovely film. I want to know how they get everything to look like it has bloom except Ingrid Berman's eyes, which look like pools of stars. Just gorgeously shot. 

Also curious about the airport shots: several very clearly model planes on strings, while a few look legitimate. Why not use legitimate shots throughout?

I wonder if the fact it was filmed during the war rather than afterwards accounts for being a little more lenient towards the nazis (as a few, you know, bigger discoveries hadn't been made at that point) as well as not being able to source a plane too easily
1 user liked this post: chronovore

Calling it now: Tom Hardy dies, Chiwetel becomes Agent Venom Snob
1 user liked this post: HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth
(06-02-2024, 07:37 AM)chronovore wrote: Watched Casablanca, a massive hole in my cinema vocabulary. It was amazing. Nazis get a lot softer treatment than any other movie I've seen; they behaved generally honorably but entitled. In every other movie I've seen, they would have just snapped up Lazlo and Ilsa, or even just trumped up a charge, arrested and abused Ilsa until Lazlo caved and gave the Nazis all the details. 

The La Marseillaise scene Delicious

Not even French but that scene has me ready to storm the Bastille every time.
Civil War. It looked great but it's easily the most tedious film I've seen in a long time, and that sudden character switch was one of the most nonsensical developments. It might have worked if it had been introduced more slowly but nope. I should've turned it off after Plemmons stole the movie.

I also need to watch this some time. From what I can tell it was made in 1942 and people had a different view on the Nazis than they did in 1945. The war with France was brief, the French felt somewhat betrayed by the English (especially after the English attacked the French fleet). The Germans were seen as strict and demanding but not necessarily evil. In fact, early on they apologized for mistakes like the bombing of Rotterdam and treated downed pilots with respect, even saving the crews of merchant ships they sank with U-Boats.

Germany didn't really 'enlist' the occupied territories for the war effort until Goebbels Total War speech in 1943 and prepping defenses for a possible allied invasion increased the military and SS presence and introduced curfews, confiscation of property, mandatory labour, deportations and other unpopular measures that would define their cruelty in the eyes of the public.
They weren't totally evil until they were totally evil. 

Fuck the Germans. Not "the Nazis". The people responsible for WWII were Germans. Really annoys me this rewriting of history to blame "the Nazis".
(06-06-2024, 02:54 AM)Potato wrote: They weren't totally evil until they were totally evil. 

Fuck the Germans. Not "the Nazis". The people responsible for WWII were Germans. Really annoys me this rewriting of history to blame "the Nazis".
Indeed the Nazis were mostly just a 'brand' to appeal to the lower classes as an alternative to the communists. The entire german elite of bankers, industrialists, scientists, militarists and nobility were basically in lockstep with the Nazis. Rifts only started to appear when the invasion of the Soviet Union failed after which the many attempts to kill Hitler started.

The 'resistance' that was there before was mostly worried he'd lose the war against France believing it was too early to attack but after he won, the military basically gave him a free hand.

wat
Don't post your ideas on twitter!  lol
2 users liked this post: Nintex, Potato
They finally moved Weird: The Al Yankovic Story off of being a Roku exclusive ??? ??? ??? and onto a streaming service I actually have, and it is very funny and as you should probably expect is a very weird al take on the celebrity biopic.

Some really funny lines like:
Quote:I know it's hard to hear this, but your dad and I had a long talk and we agreed it would be best for all of us if you would just stop being who you are and doing the things you love.

and a fantastic end credits song that had me LOL more than once just watching the end credits lol

shots fired
1 user liked this post: Gameboy Nostalgia

Disappointing. The daughter doesn't have any of M Night's visual flare, this shit looks like a TV series. Starts promising, has some interesting moments and I like the premise a lot. But the third act is terrible. Not in a "wow, the last 5 minutes are bad due to a twist" way. Moreso like the last 30 minutes being bad.
Its been a long time since I've watched a Shyamalan film and thought it looked good tbh.

The Visit looks like shit arguably deliberately as its supposed to be found footage, but there's not a lot of excuses for how cheap looking and The Asylum looking Old is
I actually quite liked the visit even though it was basic. I think its his best film tbh.
The Fifth Wave — utter garbage despite a good performance from Chloe Grace Moretz. It's just such standard YA dreck, with aliens substituted for zombies in the "humans are the real enemies" plotline du jour. Jesus. Sad that I wasted my time, but probably not as sad as some of the actors. 

Cronenberg's The Brood — Correcting a gap in my cinematic knowledge. 
This is a remarkable observation on generational trauma.
Mundane, everyday settings turned horrific. Deviancy and animalistic behavior happening on the periphery of vision, sometimes in plain daylight. Body horror, of course, as well. Many of the Cronenberg hallmarks are in full-effect here.
As The Brood moves through their victims, we are given hints about the depredations that incited their rage. Abuse, flowing from substance abusing parents to their child, who in turn becomes addicted to her own process of reliving her trauma, and ultimately, inevitably enacts her own problems on her loved ones.
Enter the Clones of Bruce

Documentary about the whole Brucesploitation following his death, got introduced to some movies, that I never knew existed. I highly recommend it! Rejoice

Spoiler:  (click to show)
A bit of a warning this movie has a lot more nudity than you would think including full frontal, with some serious 70's bush. lol
I rewatched the Rumpelstiltskin live action movie from 1995 very much a poor mans Leprechaun, has the wackest music especially that rap song at the beginning of the movie, if you can get past that it's highly quotable if nothing else. Where else are you going to see Rom from DS9 as a homocidal fable come to life!?

Spoiler:  (click to show)

[Image: dbQJbjt.gif]
Strangers Chapter One. Fascinatingly shit. I know shit horror movies are ten a penny but this stands out to me as a particularly terrible film with money behind it. I've been thinking about it all day.

+

Mel Gibson to Direct ‘Lethal Weapon 5’

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/mel-gibson-lethal-weapon-5-direct-1235048056/

It’s all lining up for one last Mad Max with Mel and George Miller reteaming.
1 user liked this post: D3RANG3D
You’re not mentioning the best upcoming Gibson movie, Passion of the Christ 2: Resurrection Chapter 1. 

April 18, 2025!
1 user liked this post: Polident
He’s unhinged when answering a basic question.

Choose the second script.
Inside Out 2
Rejoice
I watched Paddington 2 as its been memed as GOAT film and its pleasantly inoffensive, and has a few chuckles.

I will say I'm surprised how hard they went on the cinematography for a kids film though; shit looks like a Wes Anderson joint.
The Devil's Bath 8/10

Life is grim in 1750's Austria. A horror movie of sorts.
https://variety.com/2024/film/box-office/inside-out-2-billion-dollar-global-box-office-milestone-1236049536/amp/

Inside Out 2 is the first movie to make more than $1 billion this year. Fastest animated movie to do so. 

Well deserved. Film is great and a logical extension of the first film. Unlike most Pixar sequels, it actually had a consistent feel and tone to the first film too.

It knows its target audience and nails the message.