Kulturkampf
Like politics but somehow dumber
(09-30-2024, 09:26 PM)Nintex wrote: Finally a video that starts to line up with what I've been told.

I know what you mean, but out of context, lol

"finally, after a deluge of conflicting information, the one piece of evidence that validates my pre-existing opinion"
1 user liked this post: benji
It's even worse as that guy says though.
800 million dollars wasted on skull and bones?

if you heard that why didn't you tell us it was a worse flop than concord?
(09-30-2024, 09:26 PM)Nintex wrote:

Finally a video that starts to line up with what I've been told.

JFC that dude is a bigger loser than the crybabies on Ree. I cut myself from the edginess browsing the thumbnails on his channel ("SUCK MY NUTS", "EAT MY A$$", "GAY", "LET YOUR NUTS HANG").

And you know it's totally sincere and not at all grifting when you go back 2 years and see he was a well adjusted human being just making videos about the games he enjoys. You can even spot the exact video after which he changed in business model ("Why Western Developers Are So Angry About Elden Ring's Success").

Somehow that guy stretched a 3 minute video into a 25 minute borefest
(09-30-2024, 10:59 PM)Ethan wrote:

JFC that dude is a bigger loser than the crybabies on Ree. I cut myself from the edginess browsing the thumbnails on his channel ("SUCK MY NUTS", "EAT MY A$$", "GAY", "LET YOUR NUTS HANG").

And you know it's totally sincere and not at all grifting when you go back 2 years and see he was a well adjusted human being just making videos about the games he enjoys. You can even spot the exact video after which he changed in business model ("Why Western Developers Are So Angry About Elden Ring's Success").

The incel was definitely dripping out his voice. 

Still, lots of the statements were believable, once you pushed through the retard.
(10-01-2024, 01:13 AM)Potato wrote:
(09-30-2024, 10:59 PM)Ethan wrote:

The incel was definitely dripping out his voice. 

Still, lots of the statements were believable, once you pushed through the retard.

Apart from Ubi being on the brink financially, most of it sounded like "chud (euh) fan fiction".

"Ubisoft wants the industry to completely reject white men in every single way". Yeah, that totally sounds like something that would be said and decided by the higher ups of a mainstream, publicly traded, video game company headquartered in very woke France.

And I don't believe for a second they thought Outlaws would get RDR2 reception and sales.
the biggest story from this video would be that skull and bones cost 800 million, it's estimated to be 200 million and while a disaster was not quite as big a disaster as concord

if it was 800 million it would probably be the biggest flop in the history of the industry in terms of money spent to money earned

[Image: 0wJxUTN.png]
2 users liked this post: HardcoreRetro, Potato
(10-01-2024, 03:17 AM)Uncle wrote: the biggest story from this video would be that skull and bones cost 800 million, it's estimated to be 200 million and while a disaster was not quite as big a disaster as concord

if it was 800 million it would probably be the biggest flop in the history of the industry in terms of money spent to money earned
I don't think it could have cost that much because it was Ubisoft Singapore's flagship and even when it was failing Ubisoft didn't call in any of their Western studios to bail it out and ship it. They let Singapore and China continue to handle it and just delayed it.

It definitely didn't make what Ubisoft thought it was going to, but it also came out years after it was supposed to so they should have adjusted expectations. I doubt it soured them on Singapore/China except that they'll probably fly in a Western management layer for the next one. Those guys had already made tons of games in Splinter Cell/Ass Creed franchises and this was letting them take the one aspect from IV and blow it up into a full game and new franchise. I think this was the wrong way to do it, they should have let them do something sorta new in an existing franchise that had France overseeing it from afar. I wouldn't be surprised if this was Ubisoft's conclusion because this is what they've already done with every other development studio over the last couple decades. Like don't be surprised if they're the main studios on Far Cry 7 or something under a French team. Ubisoft has two decades of investment in these studios and they're still so cheap, spinning up yet another Canadian studio would be a waste when they've got thousands of developers in these who have worked on major titles.

Probably the weirder thing is that these haven't been the studios Ubisoft put on their F2P flops. How do you not decide "oh yeah we should let Ubisoft Singapore, Ubisoft Shanghai and Ubisoft Naboo do the grunt work on these" and let your Western teams try to birth more big franchises? They did it the other way around. The Division Heartland feels like something that should have been developed in Asia instead of with the main Tom Clancy people in North Carolina. It's not like those guys couldn't have done the design, Ubisoft is already integrated globally. They're not EA.
1 user liked this post: HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth
3 users liked this post: HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth, Potato, DavidCroquet
https://nhjournal.com/bow-high-school-hit-with-lawsuit-over-treatment-of-pink-wristband-parents/ wrote:As first reported by NHJournal, local soccer parents Fellers and Anthony Foote were slapped with “No Trespass” orders by Bow Superintendent of Schools Marcy Kelley after they wore pink wristbands with “XX” written on them to a soccer game. Bow was playing Plymouth Regional High School, a team with a biological male on the roster.

“School officials, along with a police officer, confronted the parents during the game, demanding that they remove the wristbands or leave. When the plaintiffs refused, citing their First Amendment rights, they were threatened with arrest for trespassing. The referee then stopped the game and said that Bow High School would forfeit if the plaintiffs did not remove their wristbands,” according to a statement from the Institute for Free Speech.

In her “No Trespass” order, Kelley accused Foote and Fellers of violating school rules against “threatening, harassing, or intimidating…any person” by sitting silently at the sidelines wearing the wristbands.

Kelley also claimed the wristbands violate its policy “that no person shall ‘impede, delay, disrupt or otherwise interfere with any school activity.” She also claimed, without offering evidence, that “the District had to obtain additional police presence to ensure order.”

Video of the game shows there was no chanting, sign-waving, or other evidence of “disorder” along the sidelines.
[Image: wristband-pink-thumbs-up-scaled-e1727745...00x300.jpg]
Klepek
3 users liked this post: HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth, Potato, DavidCroquet

Egomaniac Girlslaff
3 users liked this post: DavidCroquet, Nintex, benji

Quote:A North Texas man is going viral for taking a hammer to a guitar signed by Taylor Swift.
A spokesperson with the event confirmed to WFAA that the guitar was signed by Swift, and the man bought the guitar for around $4,000.

The spokesperson claimed there was no malice behind the smashing, though he did hint at the fact it had something to do with Swift's endorsement of Vice President Kamala Harris. They also confirmed that Taylor Swift has never used the guitar.

“It has been surprising to me how big of a deal people are making it out to be. It wasn’t meant to be mean or malicious," Ellis County Wild Game spokesperson Craig Meier told WFAA. "He was just making a lighthearted statement showing disapproval of people in the entertainment industry trying to influence politics."
2 users liked this post: Potato, benji

Social Justice Warrior
4 users liked this post: Uncle, D3RANG3D, Nintex, DavidCroquet

Teehee
2 users liked this post: HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth, Polident
1 user liked this post: HardcoreRetro

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/star-wars-lord-of-the-rings-bridgerton-toxic-fans-hollywood-response-1236166736/

There's a pretty simple solution and it doesn't involve coddling manchildren: hire better writers and make better shows/films. Or at least that would be the simple solution in a world where making good things was the goal, instead of making slop for specific demographics to consume. I remember when Fellowship Of The Ring came out and there were some LOTR message boards that were very critical of the changes. A lot of the Arwen stuff in that movie - making her a quasi warrior princess who out-rangers Aragorn and saves Frodo - would be viewed as "woke" or mary sue today. The manchildren will never admit that though, or they'll try to move the goal posts ("but it wasn't forced into my face nonstop back then!"). The fact is that most book readers didn't give a shit and loved the movie. And those who disliked the film still had their own space to argue and it never really felt that toxic.

To me the bigger problem is that so many writers do not read and don't appreciate art that doesn't coddle them or reinforce their worldview. This is how we produce allegedly literary people who don't read classic English literature because it's too white or too patriarchal. For television/film adaptions this is how you constantly get writers saying things like "I never read the books or saw the original film(s)." And these are the people who are constantly brought onto projects and tasked with providing a POC/LBGTQ/etc lens to something that is already struggling under the weight of its own emptiness. So you get half baked stories, half baked characters, no themes, etc but hey...we've got cool scenes with black people, which can be used in the advertising package for the streaming app! Shout outs to my parents who signed up for Disney+ to see Star Wars Acolyte only to then learn it has already been cancelled lol.

I love reading, I love films, and I enjoy some television shows. I've never read or watched anything that made me think "this character is white, I can't relate because I'm black." As a kid, I related to The Breakfast Club because I knew what it felt like to be mistreated, or to mistreat others, or to pretend to be brave, or to actually be brave. I saw myself on screen. In other cases, I saw or read about characters who were nothing like me, and that fascinated me as well. Villains who were nothing like me, themes I was unfamiliar with, settings I couldn't truly grasp...yet they still captured my attention and emotion. Because that's what art is supposed to fucking do lol. If your attention to art hinges entirely on whether it shows you what you want or who you are, you're just a rube. And sadly we have way too many rubes dictating where culture goes, what art does, etc.
5 users liked this post: Potato, benji, killamajig, HaughtyFrank, Nintex
[Image: GY-v-B9XwAAZlB5?format=jpg&name=small]
(10-03-2024, 11:00 PM)PhoenixDark wrote:

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/star-wars-lord-of-the-rings-bridgerton-toxic-fans-hollywood-response-1236166736/

There's a pretty simple solution and it doesn't involve coddling manchildren: hire better writers and make better shows/films. Or at least that would be the simple solution in a world where making good things was the goal, instead of making slop for specific demographics to consume. I remember when Fellowship Of The Ring came out and there were some LOTR message boards that were very critical of the changes. A lot of the Arwen stuff in that movie - making her a quasi warrior princess who out-rangers Aragorn and saves Frodo - would be viewed as "woke" or mary sue today. The manchildren will never admit that though, or they'll try to move the goal posts ("but it wasn't forced into my face nonstop back then!"). The fact is that most book readers didn't give a shit and loved the movie. And those who disliked the film still had their own space to argue and it never really felt that toxic.

To me the bigger problem is that so many writers do not read and don't appreciate art that doesn't coddle them or reinforce their worldview. This is how we produce allegedly literary people who don't read classic English literature because it's too white or too patriarchal. For television/film adaptions this is how you constantly get writers saying things like "I never read the books or saw the original film(s)." And these are the people who are constantly brought onto projects who tasked with providing a POC/LBGTQ/etc lens to something that is already struggling under the weight of its own emptiness. So you get half baked stories, half baked characters, no themes, etc but hey...we've got cool scenes with black people, which can be used in the advertising package for the streaming app! Shout outs to my parents who signed up for Disney+ to see Star Wars Acolyte only to then learn it has already been cancelled lol.

I love reading, I love films, and I enjoy some television shows. I've never read or watched anything that made me think "this character is white, I can't relate because I'm black." As a kid, I related to The Breakfast Club because I knew what it felt like to be mistreated, or to mistreat others, or to pretend to be brave, or to actually be brave. I saw myself on screen. In other cases, I saw or read about characters who were nothing like me, and that fascinated me as well. Villains who were nothing like me, themes I was unfamiliar with, settings I couldn't truly grasp...yet they still captured my attention and emotion. Because that's what art is supposed to fucking do lol. If your attention to art hinges entirely on whether it shows you what you want or who you are, you're just a rube. And sadly we have way too many rubes dictating where culture goes, what art does, etc.

I'm reminded of this Peter Jackson quote that got dug up when Rings of Power first aired

Quote:"There are certainly themes Tolkien felt were important."

"We made a promise to ourselves at the beginning of the process that we weren't going to put any of our own politics, our own messages or our own themes into these movies."

“What we were trying to do was to analyse what was important to Tolkien and to try to honour that. In a way, were trying to make these films for him, not for ourselves."

This kind of mindset just seems very rare now whenever something gets adapted or rebooted etc.
But also more importantly, whenever these new creators bring in their politics it's often just written like shit. Speaking of Rings of Power again, the first season had a bit where an elf arrived in a human city, and despite it being just a singular elf, they decided this was the perfect moment to have some commentary on migrant workers. So the human's were suddenly all like "these elfs are taking our jobs" (reminder, there's just one elf in town, one that isn't even working). The story beat than disappears as quickly as it came after a bad guy politician holds a speech that could be summed up with "We'll make Numenor great again".
Really great storytelling here. Real subtle and real inspired.

In comparison you got Star Wars Andor which is a very explicit examination of the rise of fascism and how ordinary people stand up against it, but instead of including some blatant Trump allegory or some contrived story point about "build the wall" they wrote it in a more universal way. One that feels true to Star Wars itself and true to the human condition. I have no doubt that the writers have a lot to say about Trump but they didn't forget that this shouldn't get in the way of a captivating narrative and characters. If you want to tell a story that actually means something it should have more longevity than just the election year 2024.

The Acolyte received a lot of hate, and some pretty blatant racist hate, but that's not why it failed. It failed because the writing was bad and even the people it was meant to pander to didn't really care for it resulting in a low viewership. To frame it as anything else just sounds like executives trying to shift the blame because god forbid anyone admits they gave a 200 million dollar show into the hands of someone who didn't know what they were doing.
(10-03-2024, 11:00 PM)PhoenixDark wrote: I love reading, I love films, and I enjoy some television shows. I've never read or watched anything that made me think "this character is white, I can't relate because I'm black." As a kid, I related to The Breakfast Club because I knew what it felt like to be mistreated, or to mistreat others, or to pretend to be brave, or to actually be brave. I saw myself on screen. In other cases, I saw or read about characters who were nothing like me, and that fascinated me as well. Villains who were nothing like me, themes I was unfamiliar with, settings I couldn't truly grasp...yet they still captured my attention and emotion. Because that's what art is supposed to fucking do lol. If your attention to art hinges entirely on whether it shows you what you want or who you are, you're just a rube. And sadly we have way too many rubes dictating where culture goes, what art does, etc.

I feel like the truth lies somewhere in the middle, I think it's possible to not relate to media, or at least relate less to it than other media

I don't think it's as ridiculous as skin color, but culture...there are old novels that can be difficult to read because we don't live our lives anything like those people anymore, and even though there might be flashes like "hey he's jealous and I've been jealous before," that doesn't mean it's somehow exactly as relatable as every other modern piece of media

or bollywood movies might feel strange to those outside the culture, or repressed japanese dialogue, etc etc
(10-04-2024, 12:47 AM)HaughtyFrank wrote:

To me the bigger problem is that so many writers do not read and don't appreciate art that doesn't coddle them or reinforce their worldview. This is how we produce allegedly literary people who don't read classic English literature because it's too white or too patriarchal. For television/film adaptions this is how you constantly get writers saying things like "I never read the books or saw the original film(s)." And these are the people who are constantly brought onto projects who tasked with providing a POC/LBGTQ/etc lens to something that is already struggling under the weight of its own emptiness. So you get half baked stories, half baked characters, no themes, etc but hey...we've got cool scenes with black people, which can be used in the advertising package for the streaming app! Shout outs to my parents who signed up for Disney+ to see Star Wars Acolyte only to then learn it has already been cancelled lol.

I'm reminded of this Peter Jackson quote that got dug up when Rings of Power first aired

"We made a promise to ourselves at the beginning of the process that we weren't going to put any of our own politics, our own messages or our own themes into these movies."

“What we were trying to do was to analyse what was important to Tolkien and to try to honour that. In a way, were trying to make these films for him, not for ourselves."

This kind of mindset just seems very rare now whenever something gets adapted or rebooted etc.
But also more importantly, whenever these new creators bring in their politics it's often just written like shit. Speaking of Rings of Power again, the first season had a bit where an elf arrived in a human city, and despite it being just a singular elf, they decided this was the perfect moment to have some commentary on migrant workers. So the human's were suddenly all like "these elfs are taking our jobs" (reminder, there's just one elf in town, one that isn't even working). The story beat than disappears as quickly as it came after a bad guy politician holds a speech that could be summed up with "We'll make Numenor great again".

In comparison you got Star Wars Andor which is a very explicit examination of the rise of fascism and how ordinary people stand up against it, but instead of including some blatant Trump allegory or some contrived story point about "build the wall" they wrote it in a more universal way. One that feels true to Star Wars itself and true to the human condition. I have no doubt that the writers have a lot to say about Trump but they didn't forget that this shouldn't get in the way of a captivating narrative and characters. If you want to tell a story that actually means something it should have more longevity than just the election year 2024.

The Acolyte received a lot of hate, and some pretty blatant racist hate, but that's not why it failed. It failed because the writing was bad and even the people it was meant to pander to didn't really care for it resulting in a low viewership. To frame it as anything else just sounds like executives trying to shift the blame because god forbid anyone admits they gave a 200 million dollar show into the hands of someone who didn't know what they were doing.

It's also worth remembering the era the films came out in. War on terror, increased military enrollment, the Axis Of Evil, good guys and bad guys. Yet at no point did Jackson or anyone involved lean into that, or allow the films to be used as a cudgel by the majority (conservative) political consensus of the time. Just as Tolkien never leaned into it in his time or allowed allegory accusations despite the fact that his work was clearly influenced in some way by his involvement in WWI. And yet despite Jackson's dedication, Christopher Tolkien still hated the films and viewed them as an abomination haha.

I'm not even opposed to politics or social movement influencing art. You would expect contemporary events to find some representation in human expression. Nearly the entire decade of 1970s art was heavily influenced by Vietnam, political disillusionment, the decline in public trust of institutions, etc. Much of mid to late 1980s art deal with economic excess, capitalism, the arrival of women in the corporate work force, and more jaded depictions of suburban family life. I really have no idea how to summarize the 2010s or current 2020s from a film perspective thematically. Technically it's been a lot of bad writing and prioritizing identity and origin (prequels) over telling compelling stories. Some politics but compared to the 1970s they seem rather tepid to me. 

It's interesting you brought up Andor. I haven't seen it since I'm not a Star Wars person beyond the original three films. But it's very interesting to me that all the hate watch nerd/purist content focuses entirely on the other Star Wars shows and their alleged wokeness while having little to say about Andor. I see these people crying online about there being no more good Star Wars content and I'm like....hold on isn't Andor very well received and apparently good? Why do the nerd types act like it doesn't exist? It's probably more lucrative to hate watch things than to enjoy things. But I'd imagine that a show as thematic and politically charged as Andor is (from what I've read/heard) also kind of torpedoes the notion that this stuff should never be political. A lot of the shit we liked as kids had politics in it. There are political and feminist themes in Alien and Aliens lol. There are political themes in the original Star Wars. James Cameron has been very up front about the political leanings of Terminator 2. The Matrix was really blatant, right down to the "agents" thing. But all those movies are well written and well crafted. I just find it funny that people are being nostalgic about an era where everything was allegedly non-political, yet if you go back to that era Rush Limbaugh was calling all of it Marxist lmao.
2 users liked this post: HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth, HaughtyFrank
The problem with MCU/ DCEU is the "U". If they started doing standalone films they could each have wildly different tones, be set in different eras, have a different actor playing the the lead from one movie to the next. Instead there's a mountain of restrictions and each addition is worse than the last. You see it with Star Wars, Harry Potter, Lotr, Game of Thrones. Imagine how awful it would be if they ruined the Dark Knight trilogy by making more of them? Actually why imagine, just see what was done to Indiana Jones, The Matrix, Pirates, etc. Todd Phillips deserves a medal for making a standalone comic book film with Joker (and then deserves to have it taken away and pushed down the "joker stairs" for making another one, the fucking prick).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_films_of_2025

I know not every pieces of media is made for every person but the sheer amount of films with numbers at the end or semicolons in the title in this list should embarrass an industry that uses the word "creative" to describe itself.
1 user liked this post: Nintex

Is it even worse than this?

yes.
1 user liked this post: D3RANG3D
Accuracy in advertising for that first group at least:
[Image: AylStqP.png]
2 users liked this post: Potato, HaughtyFrank
(10-04-2024, 02:09 PM)PhoenixDark wrote:
(10-04-2024, 12:47 AM)HaughtyFrank wrote:

It's also worth remembering the era the films came out in. War on terror, increased military enrollment, the Axis Of Evil, good guys and bad guys. Yet at no point did Jackson or anyone involved lean into that, or allow the films to be used as a cudgel by the majority (conservative) political consensus of the time. Just as Tolkien never leaned into it in his time or allowed allegory accusations despite the fact that his work was clearly influenced in some way by his involvement in WWI. And yet despite Jackson's dedication, Christopher Tolkien still hated the films and viewed them as an abomination haha.

I'm not even opposed to politics or social movement influencing art. You would expect contemporary events to find some representation in human expression. Nearly the entire decade of 1970s art was heavily influenced by Vietnam, political disillusionment, the decline in public trust of institutions, etc. Much of mid to late 1980s art deal with economic excess, capitalism, the arrival of women in the corporate work force, and more jaded depictions of suburban family life. I really have no idea how to summarize the 2010s or current 2020s from a film perspective thematically. Technically it's been a lot of bad writing and prioritizing identity and origin (prequels) over telling compelling stories. Some politics but compared to the 1970s they seem rather tepid to me. 

It's interesting you brought up Andor. I haven't seen it since I'm not a Star Wars person beyond the original three films. But it's very interesting to me that all the hate watch nerd/purist content focuses entirely on the other Star Wars shows and their alleged wokeness while having little to say about Andor. I see these people crying online about there being no more good Star Wars content and I'm like....hold on isn't Andor very well received and apparently good? Why do the nerd types act like it doesn't exist? It's probably more lucrative to hate watch things than to enjoy things. But I'd imagine that a show as thematic and politically charged as Andor is (from what I've read/heard) also kind of torpedoes the notion that this stuff should never be political. A lot of the shit we liked as kids had politics in it. There are political and feminist themes in Alien and Aliens lol. There are political themes in the original Star Wars. James Cameron has been very up front about the political leanings of Terminator 2. The Matrix was really blatant, right down to the "agents" thing. But all those movies are well written and well crafted. I just find it funny that people are being nostalgic about an era where everything was allegedly non-political, yet if you go back to that era Rush Limbaugh was calling all of it Marxist lmao.

It's funny, Andor seems to be generally ignored in these conversations, I guess because it doesn't really fit the narrative. It's highly political and yet still great. It also stars a Latino man, women, minorities etc. and yet doesn't get hate bombed by the fandom.
2 users liked this post: HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth, D3RANG3D
I feel like I see andor brought up all the time? by the chuddies, saying "look at this, just hire actually good writers, there's all kinds of stuff that could be considered woke in this show but if you just make a fucking good show we won't care"

like genuinely I see people talking about andor constantly as the only good thing from disney star wars, even from the weird grifters
3 users liked this post: HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth, D3RANG3D, Potato

Spoiler:  (click to show)