Dumb news stories
...and funny headlines
https://www.9news.com.au/national/melbourne-news-police-seize-enormous-lego-collection-during-melbourne-drug-bust/2ad62e96-4a33-492e-8b8b-e621be66d6fb wrote:Police have seized an enormous collection of Lego worth an estimated $200,000 alongside methamphetamine and gemstones during a drug bust in Melbourne's south-east.

Detectives raided the house in Botanic Ridge earlier this week, allegedly finding a clandestine laboratory filled with methamphetamine, an imitation firearm, cash, two pelican cases filled with high-quality gemstones and 1130 boxes of Lego.

"This is the first time our detectives have seized a Lego collection - let alone one so large that it requires specific transportation to remove it," Detective Inspector Anthony Vella said.
[Image: https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2...0cacb2fbef]
[Image: https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2...69f2242038]
[Image: https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2...f6af0517e6]
1 user liked this post: Nintex
Pretty good way to launder cash honestly. LEGO holds its value.
[Image: F-A3sEGXEAARqB4?format=jpg&name=small]
2 users liked this post: BIONIC, Uncle

You guys keep getting caught.
2 users liked this post: Uncle, BIONIC
that looks like the exact face of a man who would go around wearing a gimp suit

it's inexplicable
4 users liked this post: jorma, HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth, Potato, Nintex
2 users liked this post: BIONIC, Gameboy Nostalgia
According to Merriam-Webster, the word moist is defined as “slightly or moderately wet.” “Gaslighting” — mind manipulating, grossly misleading, downright deceitful — was Merriam-Webster’s word of 2022.

lol
(11-11-2023, 03:53 AM)Gameboy Nostalgia wrote: According to Merriam-Webster, the word moist is defined as “slightly or moderately wet.” “Gaslighting” — mind manipulating, grossly misleading, downright deceitful — was Merriam-Webster’s word of 2022.

lol

i have given this a lot of thought and i'm fairly sure that "moist" is the ugliest word that i hate the most in the entire english language. 

Spoiler:  (click to show)
rövsmör is the worst word in swedish
(11-11-2023, 04:29 PM)jorma wrote:
(11-11-2023, 03:53 AM)Gameboy Nostalgia wrote: According to Merriam-Webster, the word moist is defined as “slightly or moderately wet.” “Gaslighting” — mind manipulating, grossly misleading, downright deceitful — was Merriam-Webster’s word of 2022.

lol

i have given this a lot of thought and i'm fairly sure that "moist" is the ugliest word that i hate the most in the entire english language. 

But steel's heavier than feathers...

rövsmör n

(slang, vulgar) An unpleasant substance of vague composition that accumulates between the buttocks, typically involving sweat.
1 user liked this post: BIONIC
Mouf Horny
(11-11-2023, 08:39 PM)Potato wrote:
(11-11-2023, 04:29 PM)jorma wrote:

lol

But steel's heavier than feathers...

rövsmör n

(slang, vulgar) An unpleasant substance of vague composition that accumulates between the buttocks, typically involving sweat.

yeah, literal translation is assbutter but it sounds much worse in swedish for some reason. 
moist is much grosser, yuck
[Image: JmSjJPq.png]

I wonder how far they got?
2 users liked this post: benji, Uncle
era does that all the time too Rage 

I'm curious what it actually was, though
1 user liked this post: Uncle
(11-17-2023, 08:39 PM)Uncle wrote: era does that all the time too Rage 

I'm curious what it actually was, though

I'm less concerned about the propaganda and more concerned about a Walkley Award winning journalist and political editor not knowing the difference between peddling and pedalling.
3 users liked this post: HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth, NekoFever, benji
https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2023-11-21/bat-contact-mating-cloacal-kiss-non-penetrative-reproduction/103118586

Quote:Bat species uses oversized penis like an arm during 'contact mating' — not penetrative sex

Ok, bats with Japanese anime penises were not on my bingo list
2 users liked this post: chronovore, HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/a-new-trend-tinned-fish/

Is there anything you fucking Americans won't Columbus?

Quote:For years, canned sardines have been a bit of a joke, but that's not how they're thought of in places like Spain and Portugal, where "fish in a can" is something they proudly serve in restaurants, as Becca Millstein found out: "I had lived abroad in Spain in college," she said, "and had gone into these beautiful conservarías, and saw rows and rows of beautiful tins of fish. And nothing like that exists in the U.S."

Millstein wants to change that with her company, Fishwife, just one of a number of outfits (like Espinaler, La Curiosa, Alalunga, ABC+, and Ar de Arte) hoping to convince people to spend serious money on – not "canned fish," but "tinned fish."

Anna Hezel wrote an entire cookbook about, well, pre-cooked fish, called "Tin to Table." "It's a little more delicate, a little more special, and a little more premium," she said.

But is tinned fish just a fad? Becca Millstein says no. She named her company Fishwife for the industrious, tough women who've sold fish in the past – something she's hoping to do, long into the future. "It's something that people have been eating for hundreds of years," she said. "So, the trend that we're experiencing right now is the beginning of the new era of tinned fish."

That last paragraph is right out of the techbro, $400 Juicero playbook.

"We're reinventing tinned fish!"

Europeans right now:  Comeon
it's not an american thing, it's "random company wants to make more money so tries to pretend they're the start of some new dumb revolution in the way we eat/sleep/breathe"

Not like this!
3 users liked this post: Uncle, BIONIC, HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth
live mas
2 users liked this post: chronovore, Uncle
benji dateline='[url=tel:1700714224' wrote: 1700714224[/url]']

Not like this!

“One threw up in the trash while the other vomited in her guacamole bowl, according to the complaint.“
Australian news is a fucking goldmine this morning:

Misdiagnosed and gaslit: When autistic Australians go to the doctor, it's often a 'traumatic' experience

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-12-01/autistic-australians-struggling-barriers-healthcare/103160556

Quote:Chantel Le Cross remembers the first time they felt heard in an emergency room.

It was only two months ago.

The 33-year-old, who is selective non-verbal autistic, was rushed to hospital in September in intense pain. An endometrial cyst wrapped around one of their fallopian tubes had ruptured.

Because Chantel was screaming in agony, they say workers were able to understand their suffering. But that level of attention isn't typical.

In the past, hospital workers have misunderstood Chantel and their symptoms. 

"I have a big issue displaying pain," they say.

"Sometimes I am non-verbal and sometimes I am [verbal]."
Social Justice Warrior 2

Mindfulness therapy does little for high-schoolers' mental health, research finds

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-12-01/mindfulness-therapy-mental-health-teenagers-research/103167322

Quote:When a group of teenagers was given eight weeks of therapy and mindfulness training, there was no improvement in their overall mental health, a study has shown.

The DBT therapy group engaged in mindfulness and other emotional regulation exercises.

Lead author Lauren Harvey said the only improvements were seen among those students who continued their therapy exercises at home.

The clinical psychologist said these results suggested that participants needed a certain willingness for the therapy to be effective.
Shocked Pikachu
3 users liked this post: Uncle, HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth, MJBarret
3 users liked this post: BIONIC, TylenolJones, Potato
2 users liked this post: Uncle, BIONIC
(12-21-2023, 11:35 PM)benji wrote:

There are even odds that this smelled horrible.
2 users liked this post: TylenolJones, BIONIC

HEAD TO TOE SOUL PLAYA
3 users liked this post: benji, BIONIC, Potato
(01-24-2024, 03:31 AM)TylenolJones wrote:

Big tobacco was right!!
Alright, which of you was flying to Austin?
1 user liked this post: BIONIC