Random Talk
cause wtf
My dermatologist prescribed it I don't 
Works well too.
(05-08-2024, 04:43 AM)Uncle wrote: oh I have dreams where there's a whole college course I was supposed to be attending all semester and just didn't go

I expected to be able to show up for important tests and ace those easily but I had missed so much that the class was like alien to me, no one remembered that I was supposed to be there, or assumed I had dropped it a long time ago, and I was completely doomed on the final

Yup. Same here. 
For a decade after graduation, I'd dream that I had stopped going to a class, forgot to formally drop it, and have to take the final exam.
2 users liked this post: Uncle, Potato
Some of the younger employees we work with are replying to and sending emails at 4:45 on Friday.

So that’s what that feels like.
(05-10-2024, 10:51 AM)Polident wrote: Some of the younger employees we work with are replying to and sending emails at 4:45 on Friday.

So that’s what that feels like.

That's a strategy to make people think you're working hard on a Friday.
When is the new bores first bday?
1/1/1980
1 user liked this post: BIONIC
You ever get too lazy to type in a url and search for it instead. Because I think I discovered how we're recruiting new users.

[Image: MMX84cw.png]
I just type like 2 letters in the url and hit enter, but for whatever reason that has led some sites to literally always take me to the same page from like 2 years ago which just gets reinforced every time I do it again

web browser thinks I really really love a specific pic at imgur or thread at reddit
3 users liked this post: HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth, Nintex, benji
(05-12-2024, 11:27 AM)killamajig wrote: When is the new bores first bday?
The free games thread was apparently the first thing I posted:
https://thebore.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=1 wrote:05-29-2023, 01:58 AM
1 user liked this post: killamajig
[Image: hy5IT8O.png]

Great review, man.
4 users liked this post: HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth, Potato, benji, BIONIC
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05-21/wiley-hindawi-articles-scandal-broader-crisis-trust-universities/103868662

Not sure where to put this, so here it goes. 

Quote:Wiley's 'fake science' scandal is just the latest chapter in a broader crisis of trust universities must address

In March, it revealed to the NYSE a $US9 million ($13.5 million) plunge in research revenue after being forced to "pause" the publication of so-called "special issue" journals by its Hindawi imprint, which it had acquired in 2021 for US$298 million ($450 million).

Its statement noted the Hindawi program, which comprised some 250 journals, had been "suspended temporarily due to the presence in certain special issues of compromised articles".

Many of these suspect papers purported to be serious medical studies, including examinations of drug resistance in newborns with pneumonia and the value of MRI scans in the diagnosis of early liver disease. The journals involved included Disease Markers, BioMed Research International and Computational Intelligence and Neuroscience.

As the months ticked by, the number of papers being withdrawn mounted by the hundreds.

By November, Wiley had retracted as many as 8,000 papers, telling Science it had "identified hundreds of bad actors present in our portfolio".

A month later, in exquisite corporatese, the company announced: "Wiley to sunset the Hindawi brand."
Quote:Tens of thousands of customers were without power in southern Wisconsin Wednesday morning after severe weather moved across the area. Wind gusts were reported at 70 mph at times

As of 6:15 a.m., over 27,000 MG&E customers were without power. Outages were spread throughout the provider's coverage area.

MG&E said this is one of the largest outages experienced in its history. MG&E said restoration is expected to take multiple days.

[Image: D1cLaXH.jpg]

Yep, I was looking out my window and saw this branch hit the power lines last night. Sparks went flying. The tornado sirens went off and the hail was hitting the windows sideways. No tornado but it got bad enough I put my shoes and pants on if shit got worse. If the roof pealed off I didn't want to run around in sweatpants and no shoes.  lol 

The small town I live in (pop 1002) lost some trees and a lot of branches. And whatever was in peoples yards that wasn't nailed down. One guy lost his giant Trump 2024 flag and Fuck Biden banner too. I was sick of seeing it anyways. lol lol
I've daydreamed about taking shears to those kinds of signs and flags but those are the kind of people who will literally shoot you if they catch you
Wink 
(05-22-2024, 06:41 PM)Uncle wrote: I've daydreamed about taking shears to those kinds of signs and flags but those are the kind of people who will literally shoot you if they catch you

IF, they catch you
1 user liked this post: DavidCroquet
Am I the only one who has that friend who never has money, but still surprisingly manages to survive?
1 user liked this post: Nintex
(05-24-2024, 08:28 PM)doby8 wrote: Am I the only one who has that friend who never has money, but still surprisingly manages to survive?

Whatsthedeal
(05-22-2024, 06:41 PM)Uncle wrote: I've daydreamed about taking shears to those kinds of signs and flags but those are the kind of people who will literally shoot you if they catch you

They’re also the same fuckers that’ll key my car if I put a BIDEN bumper sticker on it.
Doctor switched me over to ozempic this month. And I know what you're thinking. No, I'm not fat just diabetic. 

But yeah that shit killed my appetite. I see how people lose weight on it. I'm not even trying to and I am. My blood sugar keeps crashing because I don't eat anything but I don't feel hungry. I started smoking more weed to counteract it and that helps. But I certainly don't get the crazy munchies anymore. I could order a pizza and destroy that thing. Now I have two slices and I'm full. Pathetic.
4 users liked this post: Polident, chronovore, Nintex, Potato
(05-24-2024, 08:28 PM)doby8 wrote: Am I the only one who has that friend who never has money, but still surprisingly manages to survive?

Usually, that's the kind of fucker who pays cash for a car because they don't spend anything ever.
It's been over two weeks since the storm that blew down my neighbors trees. He's still going at it with his chainsaw. I think I would have paid for a professional removal in one day if I had know I was going to hear this every day throughout the day for weeks.

He saws for a little bit then stops. Saws-Stops-Saws-Stops.. He's won't do the sawing all at once. It's like he's trying to keep this sawing part going for as long as posible. AARRRHHHHGGG!!!

I know it will be done eventually so I'm not going to says shit but I have to let this impotent rage out somewhere. maf maf maf maf
1 user liked this post: Uncle
Assert dominance by going out there and doing some of your own chainsawing right when he sits down to watch something on TV
4 users liked this post: benji, killamajig, Gameboy Nostalgia, chronovore
Friend sent me photos from his wedding I attended. The photographer kept taking photos of me as I’m eating. At least a dozen where I’m center frame mid bite. I can respect the meaningless goals we set for ourselves when doing menial work. But the only decent photo is one where I’m crouching a bit because another friend wanted to seem taller for dating app photos.
5 users liked this post: ClothedMac, Potato, HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth, chronovore, benji
My neighbor decided to have patriotic music blaring as he did his fireworks show. Star-Spangled banner, amazing Grace and a bunch of dumb country songs with guys singing about how much they love America and pickup trucks. And of course he makes the mistake a lot of Americans do and put Bruce Springsteen's Born in the USA in the mix. If you're unfamiliar with the song here's the lyrics

Born down in a dead man's town
The first kick I took was when I hit the ground
End up like a dog that's been beat too much
'Til you spend half your life just to cover it up, now
Born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A., now
Got in a little hometown jam
So they put a rifle in my hands
Send me off to a foreign land
To go and kill the yellow man
Born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
Come back home to the refinery
Hiring man said, "Son, if it was up to me"
Went down to see my V.A. man
He said, "Son, don't you understand, now?"
I had a brother at Khe Sanh
Fighting off all the Viet Cong
They're still there, he's all gone
He had a woman he loved in Saigon
I got a picture of him in her arms, now
Down in the shadow of the penitentiary
Out by the gas fires of the refinery
I'm ten years burning down the road
Nowhere to run, ain't got nowhere to go
Born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A., now
Born in the U.S.A.
I'm a long gone daddy in the U.S.A., now
Born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
I'm a cool rocking daddy in the U.S.A., now

Even funnier the dad and his kids would all sing and shout while waving their arms around the "Born in the USA" chorus line every time it came up. 

I had to resist the urge to print out the lyrics to hand out to his kids so they could sing the whole song. I'd really like to see them sing the part about "killing the yellow man" lol

Derp American Derp American
2 users liked this post: HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth, Nintex
That's the problem with being even a little bit subtle with your lyrics
Whoever made this online form probably thinks I should know what this means:

[Image: 25E2FB31A81D727108209AB61D249BAC339AAA49]

There's nothing if you scroll to the right.
2 users liked this post: who is ted danson?, DavidCroquet
shout out to my high school computers a couple decades ago which didn't have speakers because kids would misuse them and be annoying but maniac mansion was incredibly tiny and easy to download, ran right in a dos window and played this kickass song on the internal beep PC speaker making teachers freak out and run over and try to make it stop

NES version was of course superior

3 users liked this post: DavidCroquet, HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth, Potato
They said "kindly" but forgot the "would you" so this probably not legit:
[Image: 490C9504ACB3DA3F5A7D227D306EE0A4703CD7D9]
2 users liked this post: Polident, Uncle
Went out to dinner over the weekend.

We ordered a set menu 3 course. Was $60 per head. (just two of us)

Mandatory 18% service charge, so the waitress got salty when the restaurant took what would have been her tip.

This is why I don't go out.

Fucking audacity to put a service charge on a fixed menu special that's meant to draw more people in.
Mindblown 

mandatory service charge is meant to be mandatory tip, it shouldn't go to the restaurant

it's saying it would be unfair to the server with a meal this expensive for people to simply choose not to tip, so you're tipping whether you want to or not, and it's going to the wait staff
This always breaks my brain when I go to the US. All these mandatory taxes, tips and service charges not being part of the listed price.
3 users liked this post: chronovore, HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth, Nintex