XSX vs PS5
Pros and slims
Everybody knows the bigger an organization, the more risk-averse it becomes…

JWONG
2 users liked this post: who is ted danson?, Nintex
RRoD

People really do swallow all this bullshit in these console promo videos, don't they?
Incredible console. 
The jump from PS2/GameCube to Xbox 360 was probably the last great jump we've seen or will ever see on the console side.
1 user liked this post: chronovore
so who the hell is going to buy the $599 Series X 2TB with glitters lol
(06-10-2024, 09:35 PM)Nintex wrote: so who the hell is going to buy the $599 Series X 2TB with glitters lol

me. it will go great with my nicki minaj warzone skin
1 user liked this post: Nintex
(06-09-2024, 03:02 PM)Nintex wrote: Incredible console. 
The jump from PS2/GameCube to Xbox 360 was probably the last great jump we've seen or will ever see on the console side.

It was the last time we saw such a wave of innovation in one step, at launch:
  • HD support
  • Required online support - expectation of synchronous networked gameplay (this was too huge, and ill-conceived; ended up having Leaderboards for bullshit after devs realized that's all that was required)
  • OS level voice chat, supported across activities - participants could be chatting across different games
  • Activity based awareness of Friends - you could see what they were playing or watching
  • incentivized, objective-driven tallies - Achievements
  • wireless controllers
  • online marketplace for downloadable games
2 users liked this post: Kim Wilde Homo, Nintex
Honestly, I think fundamentally it was the last point where consoles were designed as specifically games playing devices, not locked down PCs you don't have the admin password for.
1 user liked this post: Kim Wilde Homo
Off that, standardized gamepad controls on PC via xinput. If you play PC games pre 2005 (and many after until about 2011) you had to deal with binding controls yourself. No UI changes. Everything is buttons 1 to 12. Often no analog control or rumble.

I’d argue Switch was a notable advancement and loop Steam Deck with it. Nintendo doing away with the handheld and console split. Shared ecosystem.
That videogame console spirit still lives on in the Nintendo Switch. Updates take seconds, the OS never gets in the way and most of the time you can just put in the cartridge and play a complete highly polished game. The games all thave that 'videogame' look too and aren't as 'cinematic' as the PS5 stuff. Most of it targets 60fps in docked mode. 

I do think that these retro gaming channel dudes underestimate just how fucking good TVs are these days and having a better screen makes a big difference. 
My LG OLED has an awesome build-in upscaler for non-4K content, so I have very little jaggies even when games run sub 720p.

Back when the 360/PS3 came out we were mostly stuck with shitty 720p 'HD Ready' LCD sets with ghosting and crushed blacks unless you got a Plasma TV which had its own downsides for gaming or sold your kidney to buy a Sony TV. It took a while for decent and affordable HDTV sets to come out.

I'm hoping the Switch 2 can keep that 'easy to use affordable console, just plug in and play' feeling and doesn't fall into the same trap as the other current consoles.
Nintendo going for a 3 year old chip design for their new system bodes well.
1 user liked this post: who is ted danson?
lol 

Dude, it's a system for children.
If you could buy a brand new Xbox Series S for US$225 (AU$336) delivered, would you?

Also, is there any point to this console without Gamepass Ultimate?
I absolutely would — I would miss the optical drive, but even my digital backlog is phat enough to rationalize that purchase.

My lamest whine recently was realizing how long it takes my 360 to power up and become usable.
Opted for some winter cycling gear instead. It's fucking cold on the bike in the morning and I don't like the idea that I have to pay $200+ a year just to make the console worth it.
I don't know how it works as an Aussie but you can usually get the Game Pass keys for 50% or whatever online if you look around.

If you don't care about playing online and just want the singleplayer library, there is a form of Ultimate that's just game access not multiplayer for a bit cheaper.

Not saying it's worth it just that you don't have to pay the full price.
I had a quick look at pricing and it just seemed like too much hassle for the amount I would use it. 

No yearly sub for ultimate, no disc option, etc. 

It was simply that it was a really, really, really good price that got me interested, then I remembered that Switch 2 is less than 12 months away and I don't really like AAA western gaming anyway. I do love a bargain though, so I did consider it for about an hour.
The absolute arse has fallen out of the XSX secondhand market. 

Seeing them listed for around AU$450 and less.
2 users liked this post: Nintex, who is ted danson?
I'd hope the 2nd hand market was around that almost 4 years into a gen tbh Trumps
(06-21-2024, 12:33 PM)Potato wrote: The absolute arse has fallen out of the XSX secondhand market. 

The absolute arse has fallen out of anything Xbox.

Sells worse in France than it does in Japan, most games announced at the Nintendo Direct release on Switch / PS4 , Switch / PS5 / Steam and skip Xbox.

The GamePass titles for june:

Still Wakes the Deep (Cloud, PC, and Xbox Series X|S)
My Time at Sandrock (Cloud, Console, and PC)
Keplerth (PC)
EA Sports FC 24 (Cloud, Console, and PC)
SteamWorld Dig (Cloud and Console)
SteamWorld Dig 2 (Console and PC)
Robin Hood – Sherwood Builders (Cloud, PC, and Xbox Series X|S)

I don't think anyone even noticed Hellblade 2 released and in interviews Xbox executives mostly talk about the big success of their multi-platform releases.
Microsoft is lucky that Sony dropped the ball too. 
If they release the likes of Indiana Jones and DOOM on PS5 next to Black Ops 6, they could easily become the top publisher on PS5 next year.

The next big flop will be that Xbox Series X All Digital at $599. More expensive than the non-All Digital edition that is ~$300 used and $499 new.

Nintendo clowned them with a $300 tablet for the 7th year in a row.  lol

These ads are terrible.

Also reports of people getting notified of a GamePass price increase and a new GamePass Standard tier.

GP Standard will only have back catalog games and no day 1 releases.

I might cancel. I rarely play online multiplayer and most GP games are super cheap on Steam, < $10 physical or have been freebies on the Epic Store.
Imagine if Netflix had a tier where you didn't get the Netflix releases but only the "back catalog"  lol
PC Game Pass keeps day 1 games

Xbox gamers are second tier citizens confirmed  lol lol lol

Xbox is pulling out of Europe.
(07-11-2024, 06:05 PM)Nintex wrote:

Xbox is pulling out of Europe.

They were pushing them in europe?

??? ???

[Image: 87d.gif]
(06-21-2024, 12:33 PM)Potato wrote: The absolute arse has fallen out of the XSX secondhand market. 

I have absolutely no use for one for new games, but I kinda want an xbox for backcatalogue 360/og xbox games. Consoles suck so fucking bad this gen.

ok sure by that I mean ninja gaiden 1 & 2. still tho
The emulation of older games is pretty damn good on the Xbox Series X but there are still a lot of games not backwards compatible.
Including some fan favorites like Need for Speed: Most Wanted, PGR4, Forza 4, SEGA Rally, Stranglehold and a whole bunch of licensed games (LOTR, Spider-Man, 007, The Simpsons etc.).
Some got new releases like Tales of Vesperia and Bayonetta, some got remakes but a lot of stuff is unplayable on Xbox now.

If its just a few games you want like Ninja Gaiden, Mass Effect, Bioshock etc. most are on PlayStation 4/5, Switch or Steam/PC.
Plus we're seeing more and more remakes of obscure games from that era like Sonic Generations and Lolipop Chainsaw.
https://www.trueachievements.com/news/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3-xbox-game-pass

It begins?

How long until there is a new CODpass tier which is access to all COD and free battlepasses?
(07-20-2024, 12:39 PM)Nintex wrote: The emulation of older games is pretty damn good on the Xbox Series X but there are still a lot of games not backwards compatible.
Including some fan favorites like Need for Speed: Most Wanted, PGR4, Forza 4, SEGA Rally, Stranglehold and a whole bunch of licensed games (LOTR, Spider-Man, 007, The Simpsons etc.).
Some got new releases like Tales of Vesperia and Bayonetta, some got remakes but a lot of stuff is unplayable on Xbox now.

If its just a few games you want like Ninja Gaiden, Mass Effect, Bioshock etc. most are on PlayStation 4/5, Switch or Steam/PC.
Plus we're seeing more and more remakes of obscure games from that era like Sonic Generations and Lolipop Chainsaw.

Jut need to wait for the emulators to catch up

Luckily there is not much "stuck" on XB1 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Xbox_One-only_games
That's like asking "hey guys fellow transfolx, do i get a Master System or a 7800?" Smug

Spoiler:  (click to show)
Apologies for the shitpost, I couldn't help it lul