“Every day, I come by your house and I pick you up.
Movies
1 user liked this post: Potato
Spider-verse 2 was really quite good. As a supehero story, a sequel, this examination of western animation aesthetics through the multiverse conceit, and mythology writ large. And it’s all conveyed visually. There’s never just two characters talking A/B camera or explaining what’s happening at the given moment. For a children’s movie in 2023, it has confidence that audiences will get it. Or even if they don’t, there’s enough to appreciation on the surface level. It’s more dense than the Mario movie with references.
3 users liked this post: HaughtyFrank, Nintex, Potato
^ agree 100%

I just finished seeing it with my son.

What a movie!

How the hell did the MCU guys drop the ball so hard with its multiverse, but these guys get it so right?
1 user liked this post: Nintex
Finally watched the Mario movie. It was very fun but I guess Miyamoto really did not allow them to write a story or make scenes longer than the timer in Super Mario Bros. You can tell that in some scenes the movie creators wanted to put in more exposition but it got cut or shot down. The movie is entirely explained through what happens on the screen, almost like slapstick.
Seth Rogen as Donkey Kong, probably his best performance. Jack Black as Bowser? Somehow perfect. 

I expected a Marvel type film with Nintendo characters but the movie is far more unique, applying the no nonsense Super Mario game design to movies.
Miyamoto

Meanwhile Disney/Pixar fired the woman who saved the company with a Toy Story 2 backup all those years ago.
1 user liked this post: HaughtyFrank
How many golden geese has Disney murdered now?

Star Wars = Dead
Marvel = In critical condition
Pixar = On the way to hospital in an ambulance
Classic animation = killed and revived Flatliners style just so they could kill it again with live action remakes
Disney+ = stillborn
1 user liked this post: D3RANG3D
(06-03-2023, 10:30 PM)Nintex wrote: Meanwhile Disney/Pixar fired the woman who saved the company with a Toy Story 2 backup all those years ago.
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1665045488423321601

Saving Toy story 2 vs having worked on Lightyear
(06-03-2023, 11:57 PM)Potato wrote: How many golden geese has Disney murdered now?

Star Wars = Dead
Classic animation = killed and revived Flatliners style just so they could kill it again with live action remakes
Disney+ = stillborn

They've tried their best to do it to the parks as well, but fortunately for them there are enough Disney adults and tired parents who will spend hundreds of dollars a day to go there to sustain it for now.
1 user liked this post: Nintex

Megan Fox and the guy from the Raid  Rejoice
I really thought we were done with replacing a letter in the movie name with a sequel number...
HHH
We're bringing it back Rejoice
I'm not seeing a blood in the sand subtitle you had one job!
Just like the first one, I forgot that movie existed. Still haven't seen it. Don't think I'll bother.

This is real. It's a thing that actually exists.
(06-03-2023, 11:57 PM)Potato wrote: How many golden geese has Disney murdered now?

Star Wars = Dead
Disney+ = stillborn

The oversaturation is obscene. I understand when you purchase Star Wars from Lucas you're going to want to make your money back plus profit but they have effectively killed the IP with some of the corniest milking I've ever seen. Even when they got a hit, like the Mandolorian, they quickly fucked that up too.
4 users liked this post: Tucker's Law, chronovore, D3RANG3D, Nintex
(06-05-2023, 12:28 PM)NekoFever wrote:

Star Wars = Dead
Disney+ = stillborn

They've tried their best to do it to the parks as well, but fortunately for them there are enough Disney adults and tired parents who will spend hundreds of dollars a day to go there to sustain it for now.

It's amazing. 

It's most amazing that they started a SW trilogy with absolutely no plan on how it would go. And the first episode of that trilogy was written and directed by a guy who loves nothingburgers and mystery boxes with an absolute love. 

Yeah, that's not how to treat the lore zealots.
(06-09-2023, 09:17 PM)Potato wrote: I really thought we were done with replacing a letter in the movie name with a sequel number...
HHH

On a larger scale, most of us thought those action stars were done. 

Jokes about being old, sex with a dangerous brunette, and using a 20 year old song by RHCP — they are definitely pitching to a specific audience. 

Me. 

(cries)
2 users liked this post: Nintex, Potato
(06-12-2023, 01:29 AM)chronovore wrote:
(06-05-2023, 12:28 PM)NekoFever wrote:

Star Wars = Dead
Disney+ = stillborn

It's amazing. 

It's most amazing that they started a SW trilogy with absolutely no plan on how it would go. And the first episode of that trilogy was written and directed by a guy who loves nothingburgers and mystery boxes with an absolute love. 

Yeah, that's not how to treat the lore zealots.
Add in the tight timeframes between films and publishing release windows afraid of time and you get exactly what they delivered...a steaming mess of shite.
1 user liked this post: chronovore
One thing I will hand it to Disney on is how, with Disney+, they’ve managed to get people excited for what, 20 years ago, would have been their direct-to-video or Disney Channel shit that everyone knew to avoid. They’ve been doing spin-off TV shows of their biggest properties for decades, and now peeps are Shocked Pikachu when it’s cheap, badly written, and shits all over what they once loved but pay monthly for it.
1 user liked this post: killamajig
(06-13-2023, 08:35 AM)NekoFever wrote: One thing I will hand it to Disney on is how, with Disney+, they’ve managed to get people excited for what, 20 years ago, would have been their direct-to-video or Disney Channel shit that everyone knew to avoid. They’ve been doing spin-off TV shows of their biggest properties for decades, and now peeps are Shocked Pikachu when it’s cheap, badly written, and shits all over what they once loved but pay monthly for it.

I'll have you know I looked forward to Beauty & The Beast II and greatly enjoyed the audio book version as well as a kid.
The Aladdin sequels were pretty good too.
https://slate.com/culture/2023/06/elemental-pixar-movie-review-disney-immigration-allegory.html

Ouch. Not looking good for Elemental
Quote:despite Ember being a hot little number and Wade a tall drink of water.

Dead 

I don't know what they expect at this point. Disney has stopped chasing after quality a long time ago and is just pushing out content for their streaming services based on nostalgia or current "trends". Both the innovation and passion projects are no longer there. You could tell the team at Illumination had a lot of fun making the Mario movie as they had to navigate Miyamoto's demands and somehow make a modern movie work without long expositions and lore explanations, focusing purely on the characters and world building. Making it almost a $100 million CG slapstick film.

Even if Disney has a whiff of brilliance they can't seem to hold onto it for more than a single season or half a movie.

Snob
Best way to end the writer strike would be if actors and directors went on strike as well.
(06-17-2023, 12:25 PM)Cauliflower Of Love wrote:
Quote:“I want to play an antagonist a fraction smarter than the protagonist, never dumbed down to give the hero an easy win. That’s frustrating and boring to watch,” shared the actor.

https://startefacts.com/news/breaking-bad-star-ready-to-join-mcu-under-one-crucial-condition_a132

Lol good luck.

Bryan Cranston throwing his hat into the ring for Dr Doom, huh?
Saw Guardians 3.

Was ok.

Why are these capeshit movies so damn long?

Also, two of the worst and most pointless post-credits scenes ever. You made me sit around for that shit...twice? Never again.
1 user liked this post: Cauliflower Of Love
I never gave a flying fuck about Babylon 5 and still don't, but I have a lot of respect for them going the animated route in their bringing the show back.  It's a path that so many more dormant or incomplete shows (Firefly as a prime example) I think should take if they get the greenlight, as it leaves them completely open to bring all the original cast back while still continuing right where they left off and not having to explain shit about why everyone looks two decades+ older.