TV news and views
couch potatoes unite
Black Mirror Season 6 trailer just dropped

Cruise Missile
1 user liked this post: Potato
Yay, more dystopia. Just what these streaming services needed.
You don't need to aggregate every thread, breh Dead
The threads must flow
(06-01-2023, 03:11 AM)Cauliflower Of Love wrote:
(06-01-2023, 03:06 AM)benji wrote: You don't need to aggregate every thread, breh Dead

I think we do
One thread, no posts, only likes. hmm
(05-31-2023, 07:30 PM)Nintex wrote: Black Mirror Season 6 trailer just dropped

Cruise Missile

This looks fucking terrible. They cancel that garbage Santa Clarita Diet and not this? Netflix is on some shit. Clarita had this GAWD.

[Image: b04251d034248131d96d645e1df9a79c.gif]

What does Bland Mirror have? Miley Cyrus? lol FOH.
(06-01-2023, 03:06 AM)benji wrote: You don't need to aggregate every thread, breh Dead
Me combining every thread is also a Black Mirror Episode.

(06-01-2023, 09:10 PM)RetiredSkunk wrote:
(05-31-2023, 07:30 PM)Nintex wrote: Black Mirror Season 6 trailer just dropped

Cruise Missile

This looks fucking terrible. They cancel that garbage Santa Clarita Diet and not this? Netflix is on some shit. Clarita had this GAWD.

[Image: b04251d034248131d96d645e1df9a79c.gif]

What does Bland Mirror have? Miley Cyrus? lol FOH.

Aside from the FMV game the plots in later seasons were never quite as good as season 1 - 3.
They seem to focus more on casting rather than writing these days. Hopefully Charlie Brooker brought the goods again.
The Interview with a Vampire TV series has no right to be this good.

I don't really agree with some of the character changes, but it's very well done regardless.
2 users liked this post: Nintex, archnemesis

This piece Titus Dead
(06-08-2023, 06:48 AM)Nintex wrote: This piece Titus Dead
No one saw that coming? You were tricked? lol
1 user liked this post: Nintex
Finished Succession. It was ok. The biggest problem I had with it was when a show starts throwing in twists for the sake of having twists, eventually you start looking at the least likely scenario and it’s always disappointing when the writers use it as their final “surprise” ending. It was entertaining enough but twist twist twist twist twist. Somebody really should have told the writers to calm the fuck down.
(06-08-2023, 06:48 AM)Nintex wrote:

This piece Titus Dead

Yeah, seems unlikely to posit that Hollywood types are both (a) disinclined to read their contracts fully and (b) are unaware that streaming services cancel shows.
1 user liked this post: Nintex
What I will give writers benefit of the doubt on some bullshit being pulled, is that its fairly common now for a TV season to be split into a Part 1 and a Part 2 sometimes months apart so people can't watch the whole thing on a free trial / so they can pad their release schedules, which kills incentive to start watching artificially shortened series that probably weren't created with an expected mid-season break, and kills momentum if you are watching one.

Its kind of worst of both worlds between binge whole show day one or weekly drip feed.
2 users liked this post: chronovore, Nintex
This is the first thing I thought of when reading that.

HardcoreRetro dateline='[url=tel:1686574225' wrote: 1686574225[/url]']
This is the first thing I thought of when reading that.

Harlan Ellison is one of the biggest assholes in writing. I won’t dispute his talent or his importance, but he is famously difficult. It sounded as though this was a completed interview that he had put on camera as part of his work on the show, and they were simply handling legal clearances for use to cover their ass. 

Harlan Ellison going after the legal aid making the phone call it’s like the guy standing up at the restaurant and giving the waiter shit.

Yes, absolutely writers should be paid. They should be treated fairly. They should get more money than they currently do. Harlan Ellison can still suck my dick.
1 user liked this post: Eric Cartman
(06-12-2023, 12:50 PM)HardcoreRetro wrote: This is the first thing I thought of when reading that.

"Everyone else may be an asshole, but I'm not"

hmm
2 users liked this post: chronovore, D3RANG3D
Oh, Harlan revels in being an asshole. He just doesn’t care how it affects others. 

I’m watching procedural dramas with the wife. We watch stuff that starts great and then becomes stupid. NCIS, The Blacklist, etc. 

Started watching Quantico and holy shit, this is dumb from the jump. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Priyanka Chopra is great in it, and there are a couple other standouts, but the writing is what I picture writers of the OC thinking a procedural looks like. 

Switched to The Americans, and the 70 minute preview could’ve been a movie on its own. Just amazing.
1 user liked this post: Eric Cartman
Hey now!

The OC actually had clever writing, fully aware of what it was.  ufup
1 user liked this post: Cauliflower Of Love
(06-20-2023, 01:47 AM)chronovore wrote: I’m watching procedural dramas with the wife. We watch stuff that starts great and then becomes stupid. NCIS, The Blacklist, etc. 

Started watching Quantico and holy shit, this is dumb from the jump. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Priyanka Chopra is great in it, and there are a couple other standouts, but the writing is what I picture writers of the OC thinking a procedural looks like. 

haha yeah, quantico is super dumb. And I've watched multiple seasons of Madam Secretary.

I've been rewatching Medium since its recently hit the free streaming services in the UK on ITVX, and its a pretty good procedural with a pretty solid setup / premise if you buy into slightly ambiguous psychic powers (because its mostly super vague divination via dreams, but also straight up friendly chats with ghosts).
Some really solid child actors too as part of the ensemble cast.
1 user liked this post: chronovore

Wut
Black Mirror Season 6 is pretty good... I assume No1curr because S5 was pretty mediocre and people bounced off?

I'm just gonna give vague overall thoughts on the overall series so nobody is spoiled, will give spoilered individual episode thoughts if a conversation happens.
  • I think it benefitted from going away for awhile and getting some fresh ideas. Its also moved to something more of a general anthology than a specifically 'hard' sci-fi anthology, but where it got a little formulaic to the point other comedy shows were taking pot-shots at it just being "technology bad, future sucks" its always been about humans being humans, and how new technologies facilitate that in different ways.
    This season leans into that side of things more than the 'technology' side, to the extent there are a few episodes explicitly set in the past and using older technology.
  • It also abandons 'sci-fi' as a principal guiding theme entirely, and moves 100% into 'horror' and supernatural stuff, and not in the 'sufficiently advanced technology' sense.
    I'm fine with this, seems like it annoyed some folks I don't
  • With the exception of one episode which I think kinda drags a little and could have been edited down further, but I guess wanted to give the plot some room to breathe so as to justify the ending, this is all really good compelling TV, and I would be 100% on board a companion "Red Mirror" anthology series.
I enjoyed it. The last two episodes felt like they were from a different series but all were good.

I dunno how well known the show is outside the UK, but the last two felt more like episodes of Inside No. 9.
The show just kind of left the general discussion after being such a huge hit. I'm sure I'll get around to watching, but dystopian shit isn't high on my agenda right now. I need some fun in my life.
Watching The Bear season 2, and Whoo episode 6 Whoo

This is probably the best single episode of an ongoing series I have seen in a loooooooong time, and its kind of cheating as it scraps the ongoing storyline and regular cast for a star studded cameo flashback, but goddamn, throw this at the emmys committee and sweep.

Not to undercut the rest of the season so far, which has been extremely satisfying by giving each of the cast their own spotlight and treating each one as almost a short film, but "The Berzattos" (actual episode title despite what they try and tell you) is a tour de force

(06-23-2023, 04:27 PM)NekoFever wrote: I enjoyed it. The last two episodes felt like they were from a different series but all were good.

I dunno how well known the show is outside the UK, but the last two felt more like episodes of Inside No. 9.

Yeah, I also had no problem with Inside No 9 veering away from their League Of Gentlemen Hammer Horror / Tales OF The Unexpected roots to do a sci-fi time travel episode last season either I don't
Fuck Disney.

The Bear season 2 doesn't come out here until 19 July.

WTF?
Potato dateline='[url=tel:1687599760' wrote: 1687599760[/url]']
Fuck Disney.

The Bear season 2 doesn't come out here until 19 July.

WTF?

July 26 for Japan. 

But I haven’t started yet. So I can catch up!
1 user liked this post: Potato
Watching Cunk On Earth, and:
[Image: dYIMPiz.jpeg]

.... Dead
2 users liked this post: Uncle, Nintex
Morgan said it's getting harder to do Cunk because the academics have started recognising her. I expect she'll do what Borat did and start filming in the US. Anyway Mandy -

oh yeah, black mirror s6 fucking sucked.

It's like...just random shitty stories? 

wtf
(06-30-2023, 01:06 PM)Snoopy wrote: Morgan said it's getting harder to do Cunk because the academics have started recognising her. I expect she'll do what Borat did and start filming in the US. Anyway Mandy -

huh

for some reason the almost irrational calm of the people she talks to in her clips made me assume that they told the academics the situation and asked them to keep presenting their arguments as they normally would with a straight face