“Every day, I come by your house and I pick you up.
Movies
The Last Duel was excellent. Crazy to think Ridley has Gladiator 2 next year. He’s pumping these things out year after year well into his 80s.
1 user liked this post: Nintex
Fast X

Not gonna pretend I had expectations after the last couple. But they did this thing where it opens with scenes from Fast Five. Why invite that comparison. In the new one they’re old and bloated and tired and dry and shot against green screens. Yet you’re reminded of a better time when they built a safe on a car to give action scenes weight.
1 user liked this post: Nintex
(07-11-2023, 04:18 PM)Polident wrote: Fast X

Not gonna pretend I had expectations after the last couple. But they did this thing where it opens with scenes from Fast Five. Why invite that comparison. In the new one they’re old and bloated and tired and dry and shot against green screens. Yet you’re reminded of a better time when they built a safe on a car to give action scenes weight.

Couple of reasons;
1) is the ongoing FAMILY theme, where basically everyone they go up against is doing shit for family reasons, and - inevitably - does a heel-face turn to become part of the extended Toretto family, and all the previous shit they started is forgievn because it was all because of FAMILY

2) is the fucking hilarious fact they have a tighter interconnected continuity than the MCU have, so they need to establish the big bad as having beef with them because of the shit they pulled in a prior film
2 users liked this post: Polident, Nintex
Continuing this streak of low standard, background watches. GOTG3. Came out of superhero slop retirement to give it a chance. Mistake. 

Transformers the new beast wars one. I liked Bumblebee. Thought it’d be Bumblebee 2. It’s more like the Bay movies without any sort of aesthetic or interesting set pieces. It’s also set in the 90s, which makes me feel old, so I don’t like it.

The Roundup No Way Out. Korean crime movie with Ma Dong-seok, the big man from Train to Busan, as a detective who one punches people. Entertaining stuff. There’s a reoccurring gag where he faces off against another big man. Still, he knocks them out with one punch. That’s all you need in a movie. Sometimes he mixes it up and does a massive open palm slap that sends people flying.
(07-10-2023, 03:11 PM)Polident wrote:

Bring out the guillotine for the sound guy who decided that muskets should have the same stupid "someone touched/moved a gun" sound effect that every movie seems to have (Check out 1:16 in the trailer).

Guns don't make noises just because you moved them you muppets!

Snob shut up and make some movies about how corporations are bad so I can by a new yacht folks
1 user liked this post: Potato
Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning was some of that good stuff, just a great ass time. Think I liked it more than Fallout. Something ive also realized is that I really like the humor in the Mission Impossible movies, in particular because it's not the quippy marvel kind but more of situational humor where they simply end up in absurd situations.

Also, Jesus Christ, Hayley Atwell is beautiful.
1 user liked this post: chronovore
(07-16-2023, 12:41 AM)HaughtyFrank wrote: Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning was some of that good stuff, just a great ass time. Think I liked it more than Fallout. Something ive also realized is that I really like the humor in the Mission Impossible movies, in particular because it's not the quippy marvel kind but more of situational humor where they simply end up in absurd situations.

Also, Jesus Christ, Hayley Atwell is beautiful.

so it's funny
2 users liked this post: Tucker's Law, HaughtyFrank
rewatching Flight

the amount of snitches they allude to is hilarious in hindsight
Watched The Out-Laws on Netflix, which is dumb, breezy, sitcom-esque fun and much better than the critical panning its got on rotten tomatos would suggest, with some actually funny bits that did make me laugh, where a lot of recent comedies haven't gotten more than a wry smile, and it isn't trying to be anything it's not or have some message it wants to tell.
Its just a dumb story with some dumb jokes and everything turns out alright in the end and it doesn't overstay its welcome.
can someone explain the thread title to me
I always assumed this
2 users liked this post: chronovore, Uncle
That reminds me I still need to watch Air.

Sometimes with streaming movies, it’s like if you don’t watch them the first week, they disappear. Gotta make space for the next content dump.
The Flash was alright. Not doing the contrarian thing. Maybe my standards are rock bottom after the last couple of these superhero movies.

It’s like four different movies smashed together and I enjoyed two of them. Or one and a half. Or one and two halves. It’s a plausible scenario to have taped several scripts together. Drop the multiverse stuff. Move the Keaton Batman stuff to its own movie, Beyond or something. Just have it be a Flash movie? And pay VFX companies. All of these have sloppy CGI nowadays. Here it seems unfinished.

Anyway, I think that’s it for superhero movies until The Batman 2 in 2026.
How To Blow Up A Pipeline is extremely good - it's a tense, believable heist flick, except its not a traditional heist, its a bunch of Gen Zers going full on environmental terrorist to, well, figure it out from the name.

Solid script and performances, interesting use of flashbacks to add character depth and motivation to the main narrative, and a good examination of the lies people tell (maybe especially to themselves) when becoming an extremist. Would recommend.
Wanted to see Oppenheimer in IMAX next week but all the good seats are taken so had to settle for a Dolby Cinema showing instead.

This movie is going to do big numbers.
Polident dateline='[url=tel:1689926783' wrote: 1689926783[/url]']
The Flash was alright. Not doing the contrarian thing. Maybe my standards are rock bottom after the last couple of these superhero movies.

It’s like four different movies smashed together and I enjoyed two of them. Or one and a half. Or one and two halves. It’s a plausible scenario to have taped several scripts together. Drop the multiverse stuff. Move the Keaton Batman stuff to its own movie, Beyond or something. Just have it be a Flash movie? And pay VFX companies. All of these have sloppy CGI nowadays. Here it seems unfinished.

Anyway, I think that’s it for superhero movies until The Batman 2 in 2026.

Yeah, I really enjoyed the first half. Rapidly fell apart as it went on. Dunno what was going on with all the CG people in the chronobowl scenes because they looked absolutely atrocious.
(07-21-2023, 09:55 PM)Nintex wrote: Wanted to see Oppenheimer in IMAX next week but all the good seats are taken so had to settle for a Dolby Cinema showing instead.

This movie is going to do big numbers.

I checked for 70mm. Yeah. Only front row seats left until August, during morning and midday showings. Even with limited showings per day, it’s nuts to be sold out for that long in advance.

I’ll take a neck pillow, some ibuprofen, and snag one of the front row seats.

Rejoice
Watched Spike Jonze' HER at long last. It was really god-damned good. Not just observationally interesting about our world, but about the pace at which things can change.
1 user liked this post: Polident
Other than the relationships with AI thing, at the time I kept thinking how absurd it was that mustaches were back in fashion for their vision of the future. Now it’s 2023 and guys in their 20s and 30s have mustaches.

Quote:Now it’s 2023 and guys in their 20s and 30s have mustaches.
A small price to pay for our defeat at the hands of the brave Mujahideen
1 user liked this post: HaughtyFrank
Philip Seymour Hoffman was such a fucking good actor :(
4 users liked this post: chronovore, Tucker's Law, Potato, Nintex
He played the standout bad guy of all the Mission Impossible movies, in what was the weakest movie imo. Cavill in the last was a pretty good physical foil. But it speaks to how he could jump to wildly different genre and steal the screen in a huge Hollywood action movie from Tom Cruise.

Actually, think the first movie I saw with him was some Ben Stiller movie where he talks about shitting his pants when trying to fart. That is a versatile actor right there.
2 users liked this post: Potato, HaughtyFrank
I think MI:2 is probably the weakest MI - also I think Jim Phelps as the bad guy in OG MI is pretty good, given thats the OG TV series main character, even if Jon Voight isn't amazing.

Actually, I rewatched the first MI fairly recently, and goddamn De Palma made a fucking great, tightly plotted action film that segues from the TV show into a big blockbuster Hollywood production so well.
(07-24-2023, 11:58 PM)Polident wrote: He played the standout bad guy of all the Mission Impossible movies, in what was the weakest movie imo. Cavill in the last was a pretty good physical foil. But it speaks to how he could jump to wildly different genre and steal the screen in a huge Hollywood action movie from Tom Cruise.

Actually, think the first movie I saw with him was some Ben Stiller movie where he talks about shitting his pants when trying to fart. That is a versatile actor right there.

White Chocolate!
2 users liked this post: HaughtyFrank, benji
It's funny because I agree but I thought Capote was pretty garbage.
Went to see O P P E N H E I M E R

peak cinema. Nolan the GOAT Lawd 
He went all in. The casting was perfect.

In all his previous works, even if grounded and serious there was always a wink and nod to Hollywood through comedic relief, references or simply something that looked cool.
Not in this. This is just 3 hours of experiencing the raw existential dread of the man who built the atomic bomb.
1 user liked this post: Tucker's Law

Hesright
3 users liked this post: MJBarret, Nintex, Eric Cartman