Nintendo Switch Thread
Official thread of official best console.

[Image: purah-tears-of-the-kingdom.gif]
4 users liked this post: Gameboy Nostalgia, Risible, Potato, Taco Bell Tower
How long until the next Direct drops do you think?

I'm thinking early July with an "official" announcement they're working on switch successor, but no details. Maybe a chip partner reveal.
1 user liked this post: Gameboy Nostalgia
My guess is GamesCom after Pikmin 4 is out just so Geoff is left empty handed on the Nintendo side.  lol

It'll be something like this maybe(?)
- late June: Pikmin 4 Direct
- August: Autumn Direct (Metroid Prime 4, additional remasters, RPG's, DLC's and weeb games)
- October: Fall Direct (Donkey Kong game for the holiday season, Detective Pikachu resurfaces, F-Zero (2024), Fire Emblem Holy War Remake (2024))

As for games, I'm sure Nintendo has more games slated for Switch based on their comments with regards to new hardware and how they want to keep players active on their Switch while they cook it but we also know that they are working on some cross gen stuff like a new Fire Emblem game. They said the early announcement for "Nintendo NX" was done because they were going to announce mobile games and they didn't want to leave the impression that they were leaving behind the console market. 

I'd be surprised if we see anything of the new Switch this year. I don't expect it to ship until late 2024. If a Switch 2 was around the corner I think Square Enix and Marvelous would've kept their announcements for Daemon x Machina and Dragon Quest Monsters under wraps a bit longer. Content in between will be pretty much filler, like the F-Zero game rumored to be in development at Next Level Games and lots of fanservice stuff like Xenoblade Warriors or the rumored Xenosaga Remasters.
2 users liked this post: Gameboy Nostalgia, Potato
I’m just champing at the bit for Thief Simulator 2. The first one is still my most played switch game  lol
3 users liked this post: Gameboy Nostalgia, Nintex, Potato
I'm happy to have another year or two of Switch but they can't wait forever on putting out a new console. They're not gonna keep selling 20+ million Switches every year, there are already 125 million of them kicking around and they're gonna hit market saturation at some point. Better to get the new one out while the momentum is strong than try to get the machine revved back up.
Switch 2 Nope

1-2 Switch 2 Oh yeah 

Nintendo will just keep dropping software for Switch which is the smart thing to do.
I think it would be different if the economy wasn't in shambles and Zelda wasn't a massive hit.
https://twitter.com/yukino_san_14/status/1664646215168843777
3 users liked this post: Gameboy Nostalgia, hamarr, Nintex
You: They should release a Nintendo Switch 2 Thinking

Nintendo:

I hear all this talk of people clamoring for a Switch 2, but why?  I've never felt the need for more power on the console.  Given the kinds of things Nintendo tends to publish it feels perfectly fine to me.  I'm not looking to play super high res shit on it, that's what the PC is for.
4 users liked this post: Gameboy Nostalgia, MMaRsu, Nintex, hamarr
(06-04-2023, 03:40 AM)Risible wrote: I hear all this talk of people clamoring for a Switch 2, but why?  I've never felt the need for more power on the console.  Given the kinds of things Nintendo tends to publish it feels perfectly fine to me.  I'm not looking to play super high res shit on it, that's what the PC is for.

It's because the other two consoles (and a lot of PCs) are significantly higher specced than Switch, and that makes it harder for developers to port multiplatform games like Hogwarts to it, because they basically have to make one version for PS5/XBX/PC and another scaled-down version for Switch. This wasn't an issue when PS4 was the target platform for most 3rd party games, because doing a PS4->Switch port is usually not difficult, but the more the new consoles become the standard the more expensive and time consuming it's going to be to make special low-spec ports of new games just for one console.

There was a similar situation with Wii back in the 2000s, most devs would make an HD version of their games for PS3/360 and a different SD version for PS2/Wii, since they were similarly specced consoles. Once PS2 went out to pasture in 2010, 3rd party support for Wii dried up fast.
I've never really noticed it until SMTV and Bayonetta 3. Two games that I think were obviously hamstrung by being on the switch. bayonetta 3 looked and ran like shit a lot of the time and I think running smoothly at a higher res where you can actually see what the fuck is happening would really improve the game/actually make me want to play it again once in a while.

I actually don't think TOTK feels or looks as bad as people make it out to. It has that nintendo 30fps where it's smooth to play despite being a low frame rate. I'd take that over the "120" or "60" you sometimes get in triple A pc games that has godawful microstutter nonstop.
2 users liked this post: Gameboy Nostalgia, Nintex
Like Daft Hand said, it's about making sure they keep their platform viable for ports of third party games.

Switch hardware is the most convenient for me to play and I'd rather buy games there than on a console tethered to a TV, so I'd like to see them keep pace for convenience sake.
I think next year would be a good time for Switch 2. Give Zelda and third party games some space to sell and kiddo's some time to complete their collections.
The hardware as is is not worth the asking price anymore though. I think Nintendo would get some more people to upgrade to OLED Switches if it were cheaper.

Switch is still crazy popular though, it's kind of insane how long it lasts.
The sale is absolutely insane, I picked up Shantae 1/2 Genie and 7 Sirens for starters but almost my entire wishlist is between 50% and 75% off  Cruise Missile
2 users liked this post: Gameboy Nostalgia, MMaRsu
yall ready for a Nintendo Direct that's going to blow your socks off?
Is this confirmed or just rumour for now?
Nintendo hasn't officially announced it yet but I'm seeing the correct lights on the dashboard lit up.

There's going to be some stuff reheated from Summer Games Fest though. Nintendo probably assumes that most of their players didn't watch it so they didn't see things like Mortal Kombat 1, Persona 3, Sonic Superstars etc. and the likes being announced for Switch (and some of those have only popped up in retailer listings and aren't announced by their publishers yet). Plus a bunch of games got sort of announced like Daemon X Machina 2 with the side note that we'd see more 'very soon'. 

I don't see a reason why Nintendo wouldn't want to get those fall pre-orders in now that Microsoft and Sony have shot their load.
(06-19-2023, 07:43 PM)Nintex wrote: Nintendo hasn't officially announced it yet but I'm seeing the correct lights on the dashboard lit up.

There's going to be some stuff reheated from Summer Games Fest though. Nintendo probably assumes that most of their players didn't watch it so they didn't see things like Mortal Kombat 1, Persona 3, Sonic Superstars etc. and the likes being announced for Switch (and some of those have only popped up in retailer listings and aren't announced by their publishers yet). Plus a bunch of games got sort of announced like Daemon X Machina 2 with the side note that we'd see more 'very soon'. 

I don't see a reason why Nintendo wouldn't want to get those fall pre-orders in now that Microsoft and Sony have shot their load.

Nintendo would be right
4 users liked this post: Gameboy Nostalgia, chronovore, hamarr, Nintex
Nintendo has confirmed the Direct for tommorow.

40 minutes of Switch games mostly launching this year Rejoice

I know I'm boring but I'm hoping that SNES remake is Link to the Past getting the Link's Awakening treatment.
I'd rather see something out of left field, but it'll be something Mario or Zelda for sure.
The rumor is Chrono Trigger but there's also the Fire Emblem remake that has been in development forever.

There has also been some smoke surrounding Xenosaga, Nintendo using Xenosaga content in the latest Xenoblade DLC and actually having Xenosaga copyrights in the credits.
If there ever was a moment to bank on the 'Xeno' branding now is the time.

F-Zero from Next Level games is another recurring rumor, as well as a Paper Mario remake and a Donkey Kong game that has been moved around a number of devs including Activision.
The big hitters better be coming up. Weak showing so far.
SUPER MARIO RPG REMAKE!!!
Dealing with some family emergency right now but...

Trumpio
3 users liked this post: Gameboy Nostalgia, Potato, hamarr
Finally had time to watch the entire Direct and it's a banger.

It seems like Square Enix bad decisions in marketing their recent remasters caught up with them and they came crawling back to the big-N.
Star Ocean, Super Mario RPG, both looked amazing. Other third party stuff was stellar, while some were announced at other venues, Nintendo finally got the details on MGS and other games. So we can see what they actually look like and how they play. 

Nintendo's first party output once again exceeds expectations, after all the talk about TOTK being Nintendo's "last game" for Switch, they put Takahashi and Koizumi up there to announce a bunch more games launching as soon as this year. Turning the concept of playing Mario on drugs in a very fun and crazy looking new 2D Mario game that drops as soon as October. 

The big one missing was Metroid Prime 4 but it doesn't look like the Switch is slowing down anytime soon. I could still see it drop this year being announced at the next Direct or a seperate event (maybe GamesCom). So yeah, MP4 would be the cherry on top but overall the Switch line-up this year is great.

Just think about it, any other publisher would've released Super Mario The Movie The Game but only Nintendo is bold enough to drop Mario on Drugs instead.
2 users liked this post: Gameboy Nostalgia, Tucker's Law
Taking a lot of self-control on my part to not get that collectors set for Star Ocean 2 remake.  I have a lot of fond memories playing that back on the PS1, and the soundtrack of the game is full of fucking bangers.

Etrian Odyssey collection physical finally arrived, bless Hong Kong and its multi-language game releases.
2 users liked this post: Gameboy Nostalgia, Nintex
[Image: SOTSSR_BeautyShot_3000x2250_NS_SEE_PEGI_...41.jpg?c=1]

Quote:SET CONTENTS:
STAR OCEAN THE SECOND STORY R ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK COLLECTOR'S EDITION

An expansive 4-disc original soundtrack* with special collector's edition sleeve case featuring all in-game tracks newly arranged by the legendary sound creator Motoi Sakuraba.

* STAR OCEAN THE SECOND STORY R ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK will also be sold separately at a later date. (The collector's edition sleeve case will be exclusive to this set)

STAR OCEAN THE SECOND STORY R ART BOOK
Art book featuring beautiful artworks from STAR OCEAN THE SECOND STORY R, including character illustrations by Yukihiro Kajimoto.

STAR OCEAN THE SECOND STORY R Mini Acrylic Stand Collection Box
A luxurious 24 piece box set of mini acrylic stands, featuring pixel art of main characters from the game including the thirteen party members and the Ten Wise Men. Each acrylic piece is 8mm (0.3in) thick and can stand on its own for easy display.

The set comes with a backdrop sheet that can be displayed together with the acrylic stands.
*Example sizes:
Claude - W 33mm x H 33mm x D 8mm
Zaphkiel - W 57mm x H 50mm x D 8mm
*Package size: W 182mm x H 257mm x D 30mm, Package Weight: 315g

all for just €209 Drool 

Joking aside the value of this CE is quite good compared to other recently released sets.

Those acrylic pieces popping up everywhere to replace figurines is really some post-pandemic inflation bullshit though.
3 users liked this post: Gameboy Nostalgia, Red Cyclone, Tucker's Law
New players fucking around and finding out  lol

4 users liked this post: Gameboy Nostalgia, TylenolJones, Tucker's Law, Potato
Quote:The last two Zeldas are very different. Old fans sometimes cry out that they would prefer a classic, old-fashioned Zelda. Would you like to make that sometime?

Aonuma: It’s difficult to say anything about the future. That being said: thanks to previous Zelda games, a game like Tears of the Kingdom now exists. This game originated from the ideas that we had in the past. We always try to create something that offers more than previous titles. In that respect, we really aren’t concerned with our older games anymore. We prefer to look to the future.
Interesting detail from a Dutch interview with Aonuma. Sounds like he's no longer looking at remakes and such.