Community Constructive Feedback: Viewable Only By Select Important Members
Get, suggest and discuss feature updates and other forum issues
Thumbs Up 
Thank you for creating this board Benji.

I think it would be helpful if you could add an Embed tweet function, apparently this is supported by MyBB 
https://community.mybb.com/thread-228208.html?highlight=twitter

Cruise Missile
4 users liked this post: chronovore, Taco Bell Tower, filler, Uncle
"Not video games" is too similar at a quick glance to "Video games".
3 users liked this post: chronovore, Taco Bell Tower, Uncle
Is there any way to make the forum look more ghetto Stahp
I already did it (see Kulturkampf thread) but made it {tweet} instead of {twitter}, in the proper bbcode [ ] brackets.

YouTube's no longer auto-embed, use {video}{/video} and it's not supposed to embed when it's quoted just a link, although that may be a plugin I haven't gotten to installing yet. Also this supports a whole bunch of other video stuff (and there's a plugin that adds like a hundred sites) and while I'm on the subject you can now size images in the img tags without having to wrap them in other code: https://thebore.net/forum/misc.php?action=help&hid=7

I was going to make this thread later with a number of these types of things and also to provide a space for requests/discussion about features/etc. but since you made it we'll just use this one. I turned off a number of things presuming people would prefer privacy but if not we can turn them back on and figure stuff out.

Also, no more quote Ziggurats, it trims out after three nested quotes.

I was surprised to find out well I understood PHP and CSS after twenty years, albeit slower, so I was able to fix a few things already. I'll be tweaking this theme to make it more Bire like (and less ugly) but we can install other ones too. If people want to make art or icons or whatever, feel free, I'm garbage but I can insert it.

(05-29-2023, 09:28 PM)Potato wrote: "Not video games" is too similar at a quick glance to "Video games".
Yeah, I agree. I wasn't committed to the joke or anything, the titles hadn't been changed in a while and I opted not to come up with anything. I can make them The Superdeep Borehole and Video Game Bored if people would prefer.
4 users liked this post: Taco Bell Tower, Uncle, MJBarret, Nintex
It works
  Rejoice

The MVP is done, ship it  
Elon

Also, any specific CSS questions or problems just ask.

Quote:Yeah, I agree. I wasn't committed to the joke or anything, the titles hadn't been changed in a while and I opted not to come up with anything. I can make them The Superdeep Borehole and Video Game Bored if people would prefer.
I was thinking GamerGate lmao
2 users liked this post: Taco Bell Tower, Uncle
Dark mode, pretty please.

Or if the option's already there but I just can't see it, please point it out to me to spare my delicate peepers.
4 users liked this post: chronovore, Taco Bell Tower, Uncle, Lonewulfeus
Quote:
(05-29-2023, 09:28 PM)Potato wrote: "Not video games" is too similar at a quick glance to "Video games".
Yeah, I agree. I wasn't committed to the joke or anything, the titles hadn't been changed in a while and I opted not to come up with anything. I can make them The Superdeep Borehole and Video Game Bored if people would prefer.

I think new names would be good. Something of a clean slate. I'm sure someone will come up with something slightly clever at some point.

Edit: InB4 filler suggests "The Super Deep Whorehole".
3 users liked this post: Taco Bell Tower, Uncle, Nintex
all threads have 0 views lmao
1 user liked this post: Taco Bell Tower
I think you said you couldn’t find this one for the newsfeed benji, so here you go:

“The unironic posters in this thread remind me of a sleepover I had when I was 11. One of the guys started telling an erotic story with guitar accompaniment and all ten of us jerked off inside our sleeping bags silently without saying a word to each other or acknowledging it. I never hung out with those people ever again.”
3 users liked this post: Taco Bell Tower, benji, Uncle
Avatars are tiny. Speaking of which, I can’t use the same avatar I have on the OG site because it’s apparently too big for here, and I’m too image editing illiterate + lazy to fix it lol
[Image: Screenshot-20230529-214911-Chrome.jpg]
[Image: Screenshot-20230529-215139-Chrome.jpg]

Triggered
Some quick observations/suggestions:

"View a Printable Version" and "Send this Thread to a Friend" are probably not needed. Nobody here has printers or friends.

I hate all the stats below everyone's avatars.

The text "the following 1 user liked" seems overkill. I much prefer the old forum "<user> <user> like this."

Blue is way to "stock" and reminds me of old GAF. I'm not sure what colour scheme to suggest but I prefer something closer to the old site.

Dark mode and mobile friendly would be great - I see there are responsive templates or plugins or whatever available, not sure what the install process / reliability is, but if it's not great, what it currently is, is fine (it works alright on phone).

I have some design/photoshop/illustrator skills if needed, and a lot of web design/CSS experience so if you need anything, PM me.

And yes, thanks for taking this on and keeping the community alive.
2 users liked this post: Taco Bell Tower, BIONIC
Plz fix mobile immediately or the terrorists win
2 users liked this post: Taco Bell Tower, Cauliflower Of Love
It would be nice to see the "breadcrumbs" links (aka THE BORE > General > Not Video Games) at the top and bottom of each page (not just the top). I would put it where the "View a Printable Version" link is now.
Can you do spoilers?

I refuse to try it manually, and I might be too dumb/blind to figure which icon it is when writing a reply.
Spoiler:  (click to show)
yes you can, manually, not sure about a selectable icon
If nobody's noticed there's a multi-quote queue now, just keep hitting quote on posts and then you can add them all at once to your reply. You could do it sorta on the good Bore but it was a bit janky.

There's also an alternative way to view the forum, I set the default to "classic" but in your profile you can disable this and get the other view:
[Image: r77vdcr.png]

It looks like this, if more people like it I can swap the defaults:
[Image: 1D1JIyr.png]

There's also a feature I turned off that will automatically merge double/triple/etc. posts into a single post. I can turn a bunch of this stuff on if that's what people want.

(05-29-2023, 09:39 PM)MJBarret wrote: Dark mode, pretty please.

Or if the option's already there but I just can't see it, please point it out to me to spare my delicate peepers.
I'm going to try and alter the colors to look more like the original Bore. Any other themes I will be happy to install as it allows every user to switch to the theme they prefer but the only real support I will provide will be for the main theme unless there is a major issue.

(05-30-2023, 12:44 AM)Cauliflower Of Love wrote: Mobile when?
There is a plugin for this but it seems to work questionably as the guy stopped working on it to try and sell a plugin instead, but we will try it anyway eventually and maybe we can hack it together some. Maybe if we're good Tasty will come back and save us.

(05-30-2023, 01:04 AM)BIONIC wrote: Avatars are tiny. Speaking of which, I can’t use the same avatar I have on the OG site because it’s apparently too big for here, and I’m too image editing illiterate + lazy to fix it lol
I increased the allowed sizes a little, I may have to edit the theme to make them larger because it seems to size them even smaller than they really are. (Although I just reuploaded my avatar and it seems to be much larger now.) If you upload the avatar to the server it's supposed to resize them to the right size, I overlooked a KB size limitation on this that I eliminated if that was the problem.

(05-30-2023, 03:09 AM)railGUN wrote: I hate all the stats below everyone's avatars.

The text "the following 1 user liked" seems overkill. I much prefer the old forum "<user> <user> like this."
Yeah, the like thing came sort of prepackaged and it is a bit gaudy and really does make the likes seem like the most important thing on the forum which I found funny enough to not try and fix it right away. I do want to change the way it looks to at least just say "The following (#) users liked:" The stats under avatars for some dumb reason didn't have a thing to turn off, only to turn off logging those stats completely so I will have to manually just delete those. (Not the stats in your profiles! Just the ones that display on every post.)

(05-30-2023, 03:23 AM)BIONIC wrote: Can you do spoilers?

I refuse to try it manually, and I might be too dumb/blind to figure which icon it is when writing a reply.
The lack of icons for a number of the codes like this is something I will need to address, for the moment you will have to suffer without or learn how to type them. lol

(05-30-2023, 03:21 AM)railGUN wrote: It would be nice to see the "breadcrumbs" links (aka THE BORE > General > Not Video Games) at the top and bottom of each page (not just the top). I would put it where the "View a Printable Version" link is now.
Yeah, I keep trying to go back to the forum from under the last post so I might need to edit this right away.
5 users liked this post: Taco Bell Tower, Nintex, BIONIC, MJBarret, railGUN
The templates and stuff for this are great because they're split into a million little files so you can fuck with stuff and it doesn't wreck the rest. (I definitely don't miss the old days of like phpBB.) But see that stupid little black line under the dark blue in the forum list tables and such? I have to find it to get rid of it.

Was the same for finding that navigation to copy it to the bottom. lol
2 users liked this post: Taco Bell Tower, Nintex
It's okay, you didn't see that 500 error. I did not accidentally delete a letter off a variable. This did not cascade errors until the entire forum stopped working.

Nothing to see here
2 users liked this post: Taco Bell Tower, Cauliflower Of Love
(05-30-2023, 04:51 AM)benji wrote: The templates and stuff for this are great because they're split into a million little files so you can fuck with stuff and it doesn't wreck the rest. (I definitely don't miss the old days of like phpBB.) But see that stupid little black line under the dark blue in the forum list tables and such? I have to find it to get rid of it.

Was the same for finding that navigation to copy it to the bottom. lol

Are you talking about the black background of tcat (ie the bar under where it says post a new reply) ? does .tcat{ background:none; } work?
I'm trying to locate the view count bug, it seemed to be associated with the newsfeed so I've disabled that but now some other errors are happening with unrelated stuff.

(05-30-2023, 06:28 AM)remy wrote: Are you talking about the black background of tcat (ie the bar under where it says post a new reply) ? does .tcat{ background:none; } work?
Turns out it was higher up, on thread.
Does the fact that a confirmation email never got sent matter?

Also, someone get rare Bore users over here before the OG goes down, like SmokyDave and Marrec. I was lucky enough to check in in the window of knowing it's dying but before it actually died.
4 users liked this post: Gameboy Nostalgia, Uncle, Taco Bell Tower, filler
Also, IDK how to add my profile picture. I click on my profile, click on the pic, and nothing happens.
2 users liked this post: Gameboy Nostalgia, Taco Bell Tower
May have to just write our own newsfeed plugin as I can't get it to not give an error, when any error is given for whatever reason the thread viewcount won't update. That's the only thing an error seems to stop. lol

It's not entirely a fancy plugin since I disabled much of it, it calls a random number and then picks which of the texts to show. One of us can probably figure this out in PHP. Actually, there's a dice roll plugin too, maybe I could edit that to return strings of text instead or just steal the randomizing function.
(05-30-2023, 06:56 AM)PogiJones wrote: Does the fact that a confirmation email never got sent matter?

Also, someone get rare Bore users over here before the OG goes down, like SmokyDave and Marrec. I was lucky enough to check in in the window of knowing it's dying but before it actually died.
That is busted or something, I can't figure it out, I've tried a bunch of things so I'm going back and forth on whether or not to just change to admin approval permanently. It's not like we're going to get a lot of people signing up down the road. Whenever there's anyone in the queue I get a message at the top of the forum with a link to it so it's not like it'll be forgotten.

(05-30-2023, 06:58 AM)PogiJones wrote: Also, IDK how to add my profile picture. I click on my profile, click on the pic, and nothing happens.
You can upload it or point to a URL:
https://thebore.net/forum/usercp.php?action=avatar
2 users liked this post: Taco Bell Tower, PogiJones
Ah, didn't see the "User CP" button at the top. Thanks.
2 users liked this post: Gameboy Nostalgia, Taco Bell Tower
(05-30-2023, 03:11 AM)Jansen wrote: Plz fix mobile immediately or the terrorists win

pretty sure benji has more respect for terrorists 

as he should  Yeshrug
There should be a go to last post button. Especially useful if a thread doesn’t have new posts but you wanna go to the end anyway.

The go to the new post button is also too small, and should be on the right of the thread title. It feels super awkward on the left.
4 users liked this post: Potato, Taco Bell Tower, Lonewulfeus, D3RANG3D
'User CP' is a... Choice...
Could be me missing it, but is there not a way to jump to the latest unread post on a given thread? You can jump to the latest post and the last page, and the thread title always takes you to the OP.