Journal of Other Forum Analysis
A credentialed team of scholars investigate an elaborate social experiment
Interesting new take on the Zelda series and those graphics from Links Awakening HD are still fantastic.

I do wish Nintendo made remakes of the Oracle games, ALTTP/ALBW in the same style. Link, he came to town, come to save the Princess Zelda 
Game is already dropping in September too and not 2028.

The Music, scripted events and "Mana Tree" in Metroid Prime 4. Lawd 
It's like they pulled this game out of a time capsule.

Bowdown Nintendo
2 users liked this post: Taco Bell Tower, Gameboy Nostalgia
(06-18-2024, 05:39 PM)kaleidoscopium wrote: Bonus from earlier, you can tell he's never played these games as it was clearly new lol

planet smasher wrote:I genuinely could not tell if this was a remake or an entirely new M&L game until the title drop at the end.

LinkStrikesBack wrote:How? The levels were clearly new ones.

The best mario RPG series wins out, so there's the answer for if paper mario will be a RPG going forward

https://www.resetera.com/threads/mario-luigi-brothership-releases-november-7th-2024.904284/page-2?post=124634766#post-124634766
Stop gatekeeping who gets to comment on Mario RPGs. Social Justice Warrior 2
(06-18-2024, 03:14 PM)kaleidoscopium wrote: Planet Smasher is losing his mind over the new Zelda game. Can we start collecting bets, how long until this guy decides he is yet another Transbian of Era? He posts like them and hangs out in their threads and has very similar ideas.

planet smasher wrote:I was excited for this until they were like "oh you want Zelda to be able to FIGHT lol fuck that here throw tables at them".

planet smasher wrote:She can't. She can summon echoes of enemies and let them fight things for her or summon echoes and throw them at enemies. She has no melee/direct attacks.

planet smasher wrote:It's really depressing. I don't even mind the puzzle focus but let our girl actually fight directly. This idea that female-led versions of Nintendo games can't feature their franchise's core combat tenets drives me insane.

planet smasher wrote:Give her a distinct core weapon. It doesn't need to be a sword, give her a spear or something and give her core combat mechanics built around that. There were ways to do it beyond "hide in the back and throw rocks at them".

planet smasher wrote:My thought is: give her the staff and all of its features but let her defend herself directly with a weapon of her own. It shouldn't be hard.

planet smasher wrote:Give her an entirely distinct set of abilities that don't match one to one to Link's but still allow her direct self-defense capabilities. I don't know why people are acting like I'm saying "make her play exactly like Link". I'm not. I'm saying I want Zelda to be able to protect herself in combat, especially when enemies get close to her.

Weapons you could give her to make her stand out: a rope dart/whip, magical orbs she can lash out with when enemies get close, a spear she can launch herself off of for aerial attacks, etc. So many options that aren't just "give her sword now she is link" but let her actually fight when she needs to.

planet smasher wrote:What are you supposed to do if enemies get too close to you? Dropping a ghost on the floor and running away so the enemy fights the ghost instead of you isn't satisfying for me. At least having some kind of emergency melee attack you can rely on to put enemies down if necessary should be a baseline option.

This is what gets me so frustrated. This is Nintendo yet again pulling the "the girl is too frail to traditionally defend herself so here's new gameplay" card they pulled with Super Princess Peach.

I don't mind the puzzle focus, but the fact that Zelda has literally zero direct self-defense options just bothers me. Give her a weapon entirely distinct to her and build some basic self-defense mechanics around it and I'm fine. I literally never want to rely on stupid AI drones to do anything.

planet smasher wrote:Who said anything about being physically powerful? Read my posts. I am repeatedly asking for her to have a self-defense option that suits her, a weapon that is distinctly Zelda. If it's a bunch of orbiting magical orbs she can lash out with or use to cause elemental interactions, I'm already in. That's all I need. An "oh shit" button for when enemies get too close.

For fuck's sake, I am NOT asking for her to just be Link.

edit: one more while typing this up !
planet smasher wrote:Wasn't the Deku Tree in one of the Oracle games or am I hallucinating?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-legend-of-zelda-echoes-of-wisdom-announced-releases-september-26-zelda-is-the-main-character.904389/page-9?post=124648377#post-124648377

All of that within 9 pages. I do find it rather telling that a game which is purposefully made for players to creatively defeat puzzles is driving him insane lol
Dude is gonna need a new coffee table after this.
Maybe Zelda can craft one with her magic stick Trumps
https://www.resetera.com/threads/why-women-criticise-sexualised-character-designs-ot3-make-her-look-more-corpulent-more-stuffed-where-the-eyes-cant-escape.275780/page-403?post=124613568#post-124613568

klauskpm wrote:This is amazing, and seeing people lose their shit on the comments section is the cherry on the top.
Teehee
(06-18-2024, 06:21 PM)Hap Shaughnessy wrote: https://www.resetera.com/threads/why-women-criticise-sexualised-character-designs-ot3-make-her-look-more-corpulent-more-stuffed-where-the-eyes-cant-escape.275780/page-403?post=124613568#post-124613568

klauskpm wrote:This is amazing, and seeing people lose their shit on the comments section is the cherry on the top.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/why-women-criticise-sexualised-character-designs-ot3-make-her-look-more-corpulent-more-stuffed-where-the-eyes-cant-escape.275780/post-124611303 wrote:

I share this in the hopes that y'all find this article as funny as I found it lol. I'm quietly laughing at my desk enough that I have a couple tears in my eyes.

Nice to see a man taking charge on the WOKE STANCES lol.
Wut
https://www.resetera.com/threads/why-women-criticise-sexualised-character-designs-ot3-make-her-look-more-corpulent-more-stuffed-where-the-eyes-cant-escape.275780/post-124620582 wrote:
Quote:This is the case with their brand of misoginy, for them anything before shitty grifters cried about "woke" is ok in their book

For example look at Toph from Avatar The Last Airbender, she is a blind girl that is the strongest fighter of her specialty, is totally unladylike like her parents expect, is an ass towards everyone (at least at the beginning) and is one of the teachers of the MC. Another good example is Ripley from Alien

They claim she if fine because "she has good writing unlike now" but If her character were made today with the exact story the same chuds would bitch about how "woke" she is
Can you imagine how they'd react to Leia's tough girl attitude if A New Hope were made today?

[Image: AEn0k_sQeXs6W4HZ4BNrXNOIFePxO0uCu2j8o_Ha...Ap43E=s0-d]
Quote:No need to imagine, we have The Last Jedi. Regardless of opinions of the movie overall, it presented a tough Leia that saved herself and didn't take shit from male character Poe, and many people were quite angry about it. Granted, their ire was spread out among multiple female characters, and Leia wasn't the top target.
Quote:Yeah it's a real shame the discourse is that it's just pandering which takes away from the character they've created having their own motivations and nuances.
Wut
I guess they were so distracted by Zelda that they didn't notice the hard work put into the remake of Romancing Saga 2

[Image: GQXTgTlbwAAwL3I?format=jpg]

[Image: GQXR895WIAA0fd5?format=jpg]
https://www.resetera.com/threads/now-that-summer-game-announcement-season-is-over-what-was-your-best-in-show.904836/?post=124658151#post-124658151

Quote:I'd wait for the LRG showcase personally as the actual end.

They had actual reveals last time.

Self promotion from a mod, as usual the rules only apply to the plebs.
Weird how they let jawmuncher promote his employers shit without actually marking that hes an employee.
That's why they allow it. It's only a problem if you admit to it. Wink
(06-18-2024, 06:30 PM)benji wrote:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/why-women-criticise-sexualised-character-designs-ot3-make-her-look-more-corpulent-more-stuffed-where-the-eyes-cant-escape.275780/post-124620582 wrote:
Quote:This is the case with their brand of misoginy, for them anything before shitty grifters cried about "woke" is ok in their book

For example look at Toph from Avatar The Last Airbender, she is a blind girl that is the strongest fighter of her specialty, is totally unladylike like her parents expect, is an ass towards everyone (at least at the beginning) and is one of the teachers of the MC. Another good example is Ripley from Alien

They claim she if fine because "she has good writing unlike now" but If her character were made today with the exact story the same chuds would bitch about how "woke" she is
Can you imagine how they'd react to Leia's tough girl attitude if A New Hope were made today?

[Image: AEn0k_sQeXs6W4HZ4BNrXNOIFePxO0uCu2j8o_Ha...Ap43E=s0-d]
Quote:No need to imagine, we have The Last Jedi. Regardless of opinions of the movie overall, it presented a tough Leia that saved herself and didn't take shit from male character Poe, and many people were quite angry about it. Granted, their ire was spread out among multiple female characters, and Leia wasn't the top target.
Quote:Yeah it's a real shame the discourse is that it's just pandering which takes away from the character they've created having their own motivations and nuances.
Wut

Literally no one was mad at Leia in the last jedi. People were mad Holdo who behaves like a dumbass during the whole movie keeping her entire crew in the dark about having any kind of rescue plan and just keeps pulling rank on anyone asking her. Naturally this leads to a revolt. 

Also a fun thought experiment is to swap the genders here. Imagine an old white dude coming out of nowhere and telling our hot headed latina heroine that she needs to shut up with her concerns and fall in line. I wonder how that would have gone over
RaySpencer wrote:Wtf is "LRG" and why ain't y'all putting what it stands for?

Edit: Limited Run Games?? Y'all need to actually say these things, can't just use acronyms for everything all the time.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/now-that-summer-game-announcement-season-is-over-what-was-your-best-in-show.904836/page-2?post=124665300#post-124665300

Malarkey!
I'm not sure the events of the trilogy show Leia knows what she's doing. She breaks up the Republic then leads the Resistance to the brink of extinction while half of everyone dies.
Planet Smasher wrote:I absolutely loved Impa's naginata moveset as well. As much as I cannot stand Lana or her stupid evil twin sister, Hyrule Warriors did Zelda and Impa such credit in terms of giving them a ton of awesome movesets to play with.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/why-women-criticise-sexualised-character-designs-ot3-make-her-look-more-corpulent-more-stuffed-where-the-eyes-cant-escape.275780/page-404?post=124668564#post-124668564

Even when talking about something he likes he cannot resist shouting about something he hates. This guy has actual issues it's incredible
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ap-waffle-house-raises-worker-pay-after-strikes-and-pressure-from-labor-organizers.898809/

[Image: CEUr6yc.png]

Sounds like a reasonable admin.

Anyway, back to hatesites and how they're mean.
Does she think the CEO of Waffle House keeps his wealth in his mattress?
(06-18-2024, 06:52 PM)benji wrote: I'm not sure the events of the trilogy show Leia knows what she's doing. She breaks up the Republic then leads the Resistance to the brink of extinction while half of everyone dies.

Once the Jedi got back into power they ruined the economy and all the Wookies lost their jobs. 
Meanwhile Luke, Leia and Han Solo were too busy with fairy tales, nepotism and family drama to effectively govern and deal with these issues causing inflation, child labor, prostitution and crime to sky rocket.

Not to mention they couldn't keep the galaxy safe as the military was left depleted.

The voice of the people was ignored by a couple of fanatics to overthrow the best chancellor who built the strongest economy ever and a great patriotic army to defend it against vagabonds and criminals to keep everyone safe. He would've crushed them in an election and that's why they killed him. They couldn't keep their family together, he brought together a galaxy.

[Image: palpatine-family-children-1576775874.jpg...size=640:*]
https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-legend-of-zelda-echoes-of-wisdom-announced-releases-september-26-zelda-is-the-main-character.904389/page-24?post=124670652#post-124670652
That Demon Life wrote:So much of this board is so performative in just the dumbest ways. I think it's all coming from a good place and an attempt to be in service of positive change, but too many people here lack the common sense to apply it in a way that isn't a detrimental caricature of what progress actually means or looks like.

Hesright
The "canon" explanation for the fall of the New Republic is that people found out Leia's dad was Darth Vader and... so it just breaks up? And she immediately takes to terrorism or something. I'm not going to read a Chuck Wendig book to find out the specifics.
(06-18-2024, 07:14 PM)benji wrote: Does she think the CEO of Waffle House keeps his wealth in his mattress?

I mean they do seem to cite Scrooge McDuck and his money bin as an example of billionaire behaviour kind of often.
(06-18-2024, 06:35 PM)Lonewulfeus wrote: https://www.resetera.com/threads/now-that-summer-game-announcement-season-is-over-what-was-your-best-in-show.904836/?post=124658151#post-124658151

Quote:I'd wait for the LRG showcase personally as the actual end.

They had actual reveals last time.

Self promotion from a mod, as usual the rules only apply to the plebs.

Any consistent standards went out the window a long time ago. I'd say as soon as they decided that appeasing Nepenthe > BronsonLee

Wonder what that ALL CAPS SPAMMING fella is up to these days.
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/New_Republic#Fall_of_the_New_Republic wrote:After returning to Hosnian Prime, Organa and Ransolm exchanged notes and made preparations to travel to Sibensko. Before they could travel there, Organa formally made preparations to announce her candidacy for First Senator at the Galactic Senate. However, Sindian, who had become the Supreme governor of Birren with the help of Organa, discovered sensitive information about Leia's true parentage as the daughter of the universally reviled Darth Vader. Unhappy that her Centrist colleague Casterfo was friendly with Organa, Sindian told him about Organa's secret. Feeling betrayed by his friend, Casterfo informed the Senate about Organa's true parentage. Due to the ensuing political fallout from the revelation, Organa's reputation was destroyed overnight and she was forced to withdraw her nomination for First Senator.[4]

Following the events on Sibensko, Organa addressed the Galactic Senate about her investigation into Rinnrivin's cartel and the Amaxines. She ended her speech calling on the Galactic Senate to put aside their differences and to be on guard for any future threats to the New Republic. While many distrusted her due to her parentage as Vader's daughter, Senator Casterfo, who was guilt-stricken by his role in Organa's political downfall, spoke in her defense. He presented evidence about the Amaxines' arms-buildup and their admiration for the "Old Empire." Casterfo's actions earned the ire of Sindian, who wanted to use the Centrists to undermine the New Republic. Sindian hired Arliz Hadrassian to assassinate the Populist Senator Tai-Lin Garr, Organa's friend and the new Populist candidate for First Senator. Hadrassian then killed herself before she could be taken into custody. The New Republic media and public believed that Hadrassian was the sole mastermind behind the Amaxine warriors, the Napkin bombing, and Rinnrivin's syndicate. Sindian then fabricated evidence linking Casterfo to Hadrassian. Accused of sponsoring and financing Hadrassian, Casterfo was deported to his homeworld of Riosa to face imprisonment, trial, and sentencing. Realizing that Sindian was responsible for leaking information about her parentage and framing Casterfo, Organa convinced the Elder Houses to strip Sindian of all her titles and powers. Disillusioned with the infighting in the Senate, Organa resigned as senator and founded the Resistance to safeguard the Republic from all threats.[4]

Under Organa's leadership, the Resistance became a private military force that kept watch over the First Order's movements. Although she petitioned for assistance from the New Republic, the Senate was too self-absorbed to take much notice and its slow political process frustrated the former princess.[7]
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Resistance#Formation wrote:"The sun is setting on the New Republic. It's time for the Resistance to rise."
―Leia Organa[17]

Meanwhile, the New Republic carried out the massive demilitarization of the New Republic Defense Force, reducing it down in the interest of pursuing peace and preventing a galactic war from ever occurring again. Princess Leia Organa, who had been one of the leaders of the Rebel Alliance during the war, argued strongly against the demilitarization policies and said that the New Republic could not trust the Imperial remnants from attacking the New Republic and urged the senate to take the threat seriously, but she was considered a warmonger.[12]

The Resistance was a splinter group from the Republic's military and operated wholly independently of the Republic chain of command. The Republic quietly tolerated Organa's activities,[12] as she pursued evidence that the First Order was violating the Galactic Concordance, while some members of the Galactic Senate secretly supported her actions with their funding and sympathies. The Resistance went into combat against the First Order on a few occasions and even exposed the New Republic senator Erudo Ro-Kiintor as a First Order agent.[23]
So Leia becomes frustrated with democracy stopping her warmongering and forms a paramilitary that operates outside of the state while receiving support from elected separatists and also engages in acts of war against Republic neighbors. Yet the chuds don't realize she's an awesome anti-fascist. Social Justice Warrior
https://www.resetera.com/threads/20th-century-studios-developing-remake-of-80s-sci-fi-movie-enemy-mine.902310/?post=124520331#post-124520331

Quote: Cop User banned (2 weeks): Trolling over a series of posts, long history of same behavior
duckroll wrote:
AgeEighty wrote:One of the whole points of sci-fi is to make people think about modern day issues from a new angle they otherwise may not have, to expose them to points of view they may otherwise have ignored if presented directly in context, served via the pill of futuristic entertainment. So I don't see that being more productive as you seem to think.
Okay, keep the aliens, drop them both on Gaza. Have them work together to save a Palestinian child. Someone steps on an IDF mine at the end.
Implied Facepalm
(06-18-2024, 07:35 PM)benji wrote:
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/New_Republic#Fall_of_the_New_Republic wrote:After returning to Hosnian Prime, Organa and Ransolm exchanged notes and made preparations to travel to Sibensko. Before they could travel there, Organa formally made preparations to announce her candidacy for First Senator at the Galactic Senate. However, Sindian, who had become the Supreme governor of Birren with the help of Organa, discovered sensitive information about Leia's true parentage as the daughter of the universally reviled Darth Vader. Unhappy that her Centrist colleague Casterfo was friendly with Organa, Sindian told him about Organa's secret. Feeling betrayed by his friend, Casterfo informed the Senate about Organa's true parentage. Due to the ensuing political fallout from the revelation, Organa's reputation was destroyed overnight and she was forced to withdraw her nomination for First Senator.[4]

Following the events on Sibensko, Organa addressed the Galactic Senate about her investigation into Rinnrivin's cartel and the Amaxines. She ended her speech calling on the Galactic Senate to put aside their differences and to be on guard for any future threats to the New Republic. While many distrusted her due to her parentage as Vader's daughter, Senator Casterfo, who was guilt-stricken by his role in Organa's political downfall, spoke in her defense. He presented evidence about the Amaxines' arms-buildup and their admiration for the "Old Empire." Casterfo's actions earned the ire of Sindian, who wanted to use the Centrists to undermine the New Republic. Sindian hired Arliz Hadrassian to assassinate the Populist Senator Tai-Lin Garr, Organa's friend and the new Populist candidate for First Senator. Hadrassian then killed herself before she could be taken into custody. The New Republic media and public believed that Hadrassian was the sole mastermind behind the Amaxine warriors, the Napkin bombing, and Rinnrivin's syndicate. Sindian then fabricated evidence linking Casterfo to Hadrassian. Accused of sponsoring and financing Hadrassian, Casterfo was deported to his homeworld of Riosa to face imprisonment, trial, and sentencing. Realizing that Sindian was responsible for leaking information about her parentage and framing Casterfo, Organa convinced the Elder Houses to strip Sindian of all her titles and powers. Disillusioned with the infighting in the Senate, Organa resigned as senator and founded the Resistance to safeguard the Republic from all threats.[4]

Under Organa's leadership, the Resistance became a private military force that kept watch over the First Order's movements. Although she petitioned for assistance from the New Republic, the Senate was too self-absorbed to take much notice and its slow political process frustrated the former princess.[7]
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Resistance#Formation wrote:"The sun is setting on the New Republic. It's time for the Resistance to rise."
―Leia Organa[17]

Meanwhile, the New Republic carried out the massive demilitarization of the New Republic Defense Force, reducing it down in the interest of pursuing peace and preventing a galactic war from ever occurring again. Princess Leia Organa, who had been one of the leaders of the Rebel Alliance during the war, argued strongly against the demilitarization policies and said that the New Republic could not trust the Imperial remnants from attacking the New Republic and urged the senate to take the threat seriously, but she was considered a warmonger.[12]

The Resistance was a splinter group from the Republic's military and operated wholly independently of the Republic chain of command. The Republic quietly tolerated Organa's activities,[12] as she pursued evidence that the First Order was violating the Galactic Concordance, while some members of the Galactic Senate secretly supported her actions with their funding and sympathies. The Resistance went into combat against the First Order on a few occasions and even exposed the New Republic senator Erudo Ro-Kiintor as a First Order agent.[23]
So Leia becomes frustrated with democracy stopping her warmongering and forms a paramilitary that operates outside of the state while receiving support from elected separatists and also engages in acts of war against Republic neighbors. Yet the chuds don't realize she's an awesome anti-fascist. Social Justice Warrior

Like father like daughter. 

I wonder why Snorkel choose her shitty son.
(06-18-2024, 02:50 PM)HaughtyFrank wrote: Nintendo finally makes a Zelda game starring Zelda and RE is legit angry because they didn't go the cheap Link reskin route but instead have Zelda puzzle focused

Quote:I assumed they'd do something vaguely sexist with a playable Zelda like "she's too weak to fight with a sword so she uses a bow" but having her rearrange furniture as her main thing is more than I could ever imagine

Planetsmasher wrote:
Quote:That's bullshit frankly. Yea what she can do is creative but what a fucking let down.

It's really depressing. I don't even mind the puzzle focus but let our girl actually fight directly. This idea that female-led versions of Nintendo games can't feature their franchise's core combat tenets drives me insane.

Quote:
Quote:It's really depressing. I don't even mind the puzzle focus but let our girl actually fight directly. This idea that female-led versions of Nintendo games can't feature their franchise's core combat tenets drives me insane.
Apparently doing so makes them a gender swapped Link to some. Fucking nonsense. Hope the game does well, not for me.

Quote:Finally getting a playable Zelda and it's Link's Awakening's art style and she can't use weapons. The monkey's paw is not usually so cruel.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-legend-of-zelda-echoes-of-wisdom-announced-releases-september-26-zelda-is-the-main-character.904389/post-124640763

Their sole concept of a strong female character is really just a palette swap of a male one.

Two thoughts: 
  1. Their ideal for this game is trans link. If you disagree, you're transphobic and sexist and the burka brigade will hunt you down and chop your cock off.
  2. They're pissed off that the magical Princess character who NEEDS the hero to do the physical fighting for her in every other game in the series now needs to dupe enemies to fight for her when the hero disappears.
(06-18-2024, 07:35 PM)benji wrote:

―Leia Organa[17]

I love that the terrorist attack that leads to the fall of the New Republic and causes democratic hero Princess Leia to become a paramilitary warlord is called the Napkin Bombing lol

Spoiler:  (click to show)
I read that book You could have just walked away Willam
(06-18-2024, 04:41 PM)benji wrote:
(06-18-2024, 03:38 PM)kaleidoscopium wrote: :
planet smasher wrote:The top-down perspective definitely means the game is going to take significantly less time to develop and test than a full 3D world. It's a cost/dev time thing for sure.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-legend-of-zelda-echoes-of-wisdom-announced-releases-september-26-zelda-is-the-main-character.904389/page-12?post=124651653#post-124651653
What... what exactly does he think goes away because the camera is fixed?

Did he even watch the trailer? I wouldn't even call this "top-down" because it's full of shots where the camera moves to a new perspective for something, nobody's going to develop two or more engines just to move the camera anymore. Does he think the developers have to design everything in the game from the single camera perspective? That it's all camera tricks rather than a simple "full 3D world" that they lock the camera for the player?

Zelda has hundreds of items she can use to solve puzzles in unique and interesting ways. 

Q&Asmasher: Testing this will be easy. Surely nothing will break in the game if players use items in ways that we didn't plan when making the game.
(06-18-2024, 05:01 PM)Eric Cartman wrote:
(06-18-2024, 03:06 PM)HaughtyFrank wrote:
Quote:I'll take it.

I don't love the LA Remake art style.
I don't love the core gameplay gimmick is copying items.
I don't love that both this and Peach Showtime have Nintendo still stuck in this "the girls wouldn't be traditional heroes, we need to change the gameplay to be more girl-like" mindset, even bringing back the "she's wisdom, not courage" thing. And then if they don't sell as well, they'll view it as an issue with the starring character and not the different gameplay forced onto them.

But.
I'll take it.

dunno

[Image: Samus_sm_Artwork.png]

Yes, but look at her waist!!!
STOP
(06-18-2024, 06:33 PM)Nintex wrote: I guess they were so distracted by Zelda that they didn't notice the hard work put into the remake of Romancing Saga 2

[Image: GQXTgTlbwAAwL3I?format=jpg]

[Image: GQXR895WIAA0fd5?format=jpg]

There was a lot of burka brigade fodder in that Direct. Expect some good action in the next couple of days.