Journal of Other Forum Analysis
A credentialed team of scholars investigate an elaborate social experiment
What’s the best AI art tool to make An image of a retard just so I can set up a KO-FI account to beg for cash?
(08-27-2024, 11:29 PM)ComeAgain wrote: [Image: GWA4DgUWsAACvVR?format=jpg&name=large]

This looks like a dream character costume for Era, IMO.

[Image: super_mario_bros_3-frog-mario.gif]
What is your guys opinion on Weltall Zero?
2 users liked this post: Gameboy Nostalgia, Taco Bell Tower
I have a feeling the art team was told to study the “Why Women Criticize” thread for Concord.
(08-27-2024, 11:42 PM)Steven Snell wrote:
(08-27-2024, 11:28 PM)BananaBlast wrote: Wait, Melody is 37 years old?!

Yikes

https://www.resetera.com/threads/guess-who-died-35-years-ago-today.786687/#post-115162647

Melody Shreds wrote:wow i was born exactly a year beofre this movie and i will die on its 35th aniversary interesting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Land_Before_Time_(film)

Wait, so who’s running Melody’s account?
5 users liked this post: benji, D3RANG3D, Potato, Gameboy Nostalgia, Taco Bell Tower
(08-27-2024, 11:39 PM)Propagandhim wrote: [Image: ZA1KLBz.png]

alright boys, we're approaching the witching hour. as soon as this thing hits 100 active players in a few hours, i'm going in and i'm gonna try to achieve top 100.
i've never hit top 100 in any game ever, so this is big for me.  would appreciate a little support on my kofi for reaching this milestone.  thanks.

I unironically support you in this endeavor

(people are actually doing time trial stuff and getting #4 in the entire world on their first try like wait what the hell)
Crossing Eden wrote:But again, I genuinely want you to consider how it would come off if some of the comments made in that thread were actually said to the dev team in person. How would that come off?

Rofl Rofl Rofl
(08-27-2024, 11:29 PM)ComeAgain wrote: [Image: GWA4DgUWsAACvVR?format=jpg&name=large]

This looks like a Burka with extra steps
(08-27-2024, 11:50 PM)DocWager wrote: Wait, so who’s running Melody’s account?

[Image: ghost-scare.gif]
(08-27-2024, 11:46 PM)BananaBlast wrote: What is your guys opinion on Weltall Zero?

Oh he was a huge cunt. Similar breed to Crossing Eden.

I remember him making a very pompous thread where decided to speak for videogame developers, leaving out the part where the only thing he ever developed was a shitty pixel game for steam.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/it-feels-like-marketing-a-game-these-days-is-really-difficult-compared-to-a-decade-or-more-ago.964416/
Quote:I've been noticing this more in recent years: games of all shapes and sizes, including big AAA games, releasing to the surprise of even forum-dwelling enthusiasts like us on ERA. The most recent high-profile example is Concord, of course, but I've seen it happen with other AAA and AA games in recent years as well. Games published or developed over many years by large studios will release without even being on the radar of casual or diehard gamers alike.

I think that this comes down to a number of factors:
Our fragmented media landscape - With no monoculture to speak of anymore and hardly any traditional journalistic entities left covering the industry, companies are left to advertise their games on their own through social media accounts and their official YouTube channels. Since the way that people consume media and get their information is so scattershot and individualized today, there seems to be few effective ways to mass market a game today compared to 10+ years ago.
Streamers/influencers holding too much sway over consumers - Effective marketing and tastemaking has become increasingly lopsided in the last decade or so, with a whole generation of young players getting most or all of their gaming news and recommendations from popular streamers. This means that if you don't pay a handful of big-name streamers to play and hopefully speak positively on your upcoming game release, then a sizable proportion of the potential buying audience out there will never even know about it or consider trying it.
Gaming market saturation - This one is a bit trickier but also (sadly) self-correcting: there are just too many games being made right now. Ask any indie developer how hard it is to get noticed in today's crowded gaming landscape, but that struggle is also real to a different degree for bigger publishers. You've got more games than ever in history flooding various digital storefronts every day whilst an entire generation of younger gamers spend years playing one or two games total. So with them out of the equation, you're left with older mainstream or "core" gamers, but everyone only has so much time and money. And with so many damn games out there, discovery becomes a real problem for everyone. At this point, getting noticed and being successful comes down to a good bit of luck more than anything for many game releases.

I think that the gradual erosion of the old games media/journalism paradigm as being the middle-man for advertising, previews, interviews, etc. to increase awareness of upcoming games to consumers has played a large role in this. The other factors I mentioned are all important here too, but this is where I feel the change has occurred the most. That was a concentrated, direct-to-consumers pipeline for getting your games into the public consciousness prior to release, and it was essentially done for free by the media when it comes to offering preview coverage and impressions. I think reviews still play some role in a game's success today, similar to how they did before most traditional gaming media outlets died, but otherwise it's far more common now for even the most plugged-in gamers out there to find out after the fact that some "big" game had released.

I've been reading stories recently about indie devs or medium-sized studios spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on marketing only to be met with dismal sales and zero awareness after release. Spending that kind of money on marketing that arguably doesn't accomplish its goal must be painful, but these days there isn't an easy solution to that problem.

What do you think, ERA? Are there some other important factors that I'm missing? I'd especially love to hear from anyone with experience in PR and Marketing in the modern age.

PlayStation™ Fan Discussing Their Fine Products
(08-27-2024, 11:55 PM)HaughtyFrank wrote:
(08-27-2024, 11:46 PM)BananaBlast wrote: What is your guys opinion on Weltall Zero?

Oh he was a huge cunt. Similar breed to Crossing Eden.

He's the reason Ketkat got killed  Feels bad, man

He's no Seafoam Gaming.
(08-27-2024, 11:43 PM)DocWager wrote: What’s the best AI art tool to make An image of a retard just so I can set up a KO-FI account to beg for cash?

Ummm

[Image: JOr8jo8.png]
Crossing Eden sure is great at picking winners. 

https://www.resetera.com/threads/dragon-age-veilguard-new-screenshots-of-companions.965193/
(08-27-2024, 11:53 PM)TylenolJones wrote:
Crossing Eden wrote:But again, I genuinely want you to consider how it would come off if some of the comments made in that thread were actually said to the dev team in person. How would that come off?

Rofl Rofl Rofl

Chill CuntingEden, it's not like anyone called the dev team transphobic trash for working on the game or anything. Sheesh!

But that's none of my business...
(08-27-2024, 11:56 PM)Taco Bell Tower wrote: https://www.resetera.com/threads/it-feels-like-marketing-a-game-these-days-is-really-difficult-compared-to-a-decade-or-more-ago.964416/
Quote:I've been noticing this more in recent years: games of all shapes and sizes, including big AAA games, releasing to the surprise of even forum-dwelling enthusiasts like us on ERA. The most recent high-profile example is Concord, of course, but I've seen it happen with other AAA and AA games in recent years as well. Games published or developed over many years by large studios will release without even being on the radar of casual or diehard gamers alike.

I think that this comes down to a number of factors:
Our fragmented media landscape - With no monoculture to speak of anymore and hardly any traditional journalistic entities left covering the industry, companies are left to advertise their games on their own through social media accounts and their official YouTube channels. Since the way that people consume media and get their information is so scattershot and individualized today, there seems to be few effective ways to mass market a game today compared to 10+ years ago.
Streamers/influencers holding too much sway over consumers - Effective marketing and tastemaking has become increasingly lopsided in the last decade or so, with a whole generation of young players getting most or all of their gaming news and recommendations from popular streamers. This means that if you don't pay a handful of big-name streamers to play and hopefully speak positively on your upcoming game release, then a sizable proportion of the potential buying audience out there will never even know about it or consider trying it.
Gaming market saturation - This one is a bit trickier but also (sadly) self-correcting: there are just too many games being made right now. Ask any indie developer how hard it is to get noticed in today's crowded gaming landscape, but that struggle is also real to a different degree for bigger publishers. You've got more games than ever in history flooding various digital storefronts every day whilst an entire generation of younger gamers spend years playing one or two games total. So with them out of the equation, you're left with older mainstream or "core" gamers, but everyone only has so much time and money. And with so many damn games out there, discovery becomes a real problem for everyone. At this point, getting noticed and being successful comes down to a good bit of luck more than anything for many game releases.

I think that the gradual erosion of the old games media/journalism paradigm as being the middle-man for advertising, previews, interviews, etc. to increase awareness of upcoming games to consumers has played a large role in this. The other factors I mentioned are all important here too, but this is where I feel the change has occurred the most. That was a concentrated, direct-to-consumers pipeline for getting your games into the public consciousness prior to release, and it was essentially done for free by the media when it comes to offering preview coverage and impressions. I think reviews still play some role in a game's success today, similar to how they did before most traditional gaming media outlets died, but otherwise it's far more common now for even the most plugged-in gamers out there to find out after the fact that some "big" game had released.

I've been reading stories recently about indie devs or medium-sized studios spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on marketing only to be met with dismal sales and zero awareness after release. Spending that kind of money on marketing that arguably doesn't accomplish its goal must be painful, but these days there isn't an easy solution to that problem.

What do you think, ERA? Are there some other important factors that I'm missing? I'd especially love to hear from anyone with experience in PR and Marketing in the modern age.

PlayStation™ Fan Discussing Their Fine Products

It's hard to market a game in an online landscape where complete cunts who don't even play games are constantly trawling through the social media of anyone associated with the developer or publisher of the game trying to find evidence that they are a "bad actor" as if that should be a term related to anyone other than Rob Schneider you say?

hmm

Who could have caused this problem?

Social Justice Warrior
(08-27-2024, 11:43 PM)DocWager wrote: What’s the best AI art tool to make An image of a retard just so I can set up a KO-FI account to beg for cash?

[Image: mlQ_OuHqRGqhhNCnqEl3uQ]

Ideogram does text and signage really well.

bing REALLY doesn't want to do non-bearded men, I added clean-shaven but no dice

[Image: nnRYblT.png]

[Image: Sp6x6V8.png]

things you can see I did not ask for:

- very childish crayon drawing featuring the trans colors

- gay flag

Dead
(08-27-2024, 11:53 PM)HaughtyFrank wrote:

This looks like a Burka with extra steps

This bitch looks like asparagus
(08-28-2024, 12:08 AM)Propagandhim wrote:

[Image: mlQ_OuHqRGqhhNCnqEl3uQ]

Ideogram does text and signage really well.

I think they don't like hotlinking, but I was able to right click and open the pic in a new window
"37-year-old overweight clean-shaven smooth-chinned hairless white man" worked...??

[Image: mhhhpOY.png]
3 users liked this post: Gameboy Nostalgia, Taco Bell Tower, D3RANG3D
Why is he always shirtless  lol

I am probably in small company when I say some of the Concord designs are fine/interesting…

but holy fuck lol  lol
Yeah, give them a shirt, and make them look like they are to like a super confident loser.
Funny. I've got a lot of words for Weltal Zero, but I feel it'd be out of place with your guys one sentence quips.

He's definitely one of my most hated ResetERA users. Just a massive cunt all around.

Long story short, the cunt got permanently banned because he decided to sperg out because he couldn't perform a Frame Perfect Sonic Boom (you know, as in guile from street fighter 6). Fully deserved. I also loved that even other Ree users went "bye bye, lard ass!" as soon soon he got permabanned lol 

(08-27-2024, 11:57 PM)Taco Bell Tower wrote: He's the reason Ketkat got killed  Feels bad, man
Yeah, it went like: 

Weltal Zero: "Uhhhh you know women can engage in sexist misogynistic character designs right?"
KetKat: "Fuck you, I'm a real woman, and I can't stand men talking over real women like me!"

*Ketkat gets perm'd*

lol lol lol
nah nah nah dude you gotta use ideogram.  it's the new hotness.

[Image: W11nFQC.png]

[Image: axyq61M.png]

[Image: CdqtdPb.png]
Quote:Can we just cut Florida off from the US? Like fuck off

ufup

You broke the only ResetEra rule they bothered to write down. 

https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-policy-update-log-5-22-update-florida-gifs-are-banned-in-sensitive-political-threads.709904/#post-106038949

https://www.resetera.com/threads/us-federal-appeals-court-approves-florida-gender-affirming-care-ban-for-minors-abc-news-ap.965511/#post-127805016

Edit:

He fucked with the wrong genocide victim. Permaban incoming. 

Quote:Fuck off with this bullshit.

I was afforded the chance to leave Florida, many people like me do not have that opportunity. You wanting to poke your head in the sand does not stop this from being a national issue.

Money
(08-28-2024, 12:17 AM)HaughtyFrank wrote: Why is he always shirtless  lol

I know!! I'm not even asking for it!
(08-27-2024, 11:42 PM)Steven Snell wrote:
Melody Shreds wrote:wow i was born exactly a year beofre this movie and i will die on its 35th aniversary interesting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Land_Before_Time_(film)
[Image: Bad_Ending.png]