Random Gaming Talk
For when you don't want to make a thread
(06-02-2023, 05:56 PM)Eric Cartman wrote: I quite like old school dungeon crawlers, so am kinda tempted by the Etrian Odyssey release... I think I plyed and enjoyed a demo of one once, probably on 3DS.

I assume these are fairly iterative, and if I only plan on buying one Etrian Odyssey 3 is the best choice, or is this one of those series which have weird up and down moments?

yeah if you're only buying one, 3 is the best choice  HEAD TO TOE SOUL PLAYA

2 is practically the same game as 1 as far as I remember, it's the only game where they just added a couple more classes without revamping their design of the old ones, it was iterative instead of evolutionary

3 is where they realized they could do more with the formula, remade all the classes and added a whole new style of map, with overworld (sea) traversal mechanics

it's like 1 and 2 are rooted in (really good) classic Wizardry, and then in 3 it gained a lot more identity and only improved from there

I still have good memories of 1 for its time though

if you quite like them, you might even want to start with 1, so you don't feel like you're taking a step backward if you decide to explore the rest of the series later
1 user liked this post: Eric Cartman
I mean... if they hadn't priced the triple pack at a pricepoint more expensive than SF6 Ultimate Edition, I'd have probably snapped it up, but they did and I won't I don't

Some day the part of Sega that gets PC gaming and has kept the rest of it afloat will get the atlus side of things to understand the market better
yuzo koshiro the composer for the etrian series is awesome, from what I remember he uses yamaha FM synth on purpose as an artistic choice and gets a great sound out of it

all the games had multiple orchestral/arranged soundtracks released, for etrian 4 they switched to orchestrated only, but then for 5 they released an FM synth version of the soundtrack as DLC

such a sega genesis sound, but the better side of it  Heartbeat
I bought SF6 if anyone wanna play some games
New Katamari remake is AU$45 smh Camby
1 user liked this post: MMaRsu
Holy fuck this looks good

Yea but no physical disc or purchasable outside egs no stanks.
1 user liked this post: Red Cyclone
2 users liked this post: Svejk, hamarr
Been looking into cheap-ish emulation handhelds. Very happy with my Steam Deck for lounging around the house. But even traveling with it, haven’t found myself taking it out on planes and trains. Plenty of ok options, around Vita or Switch Lite size, but there’s always some odd quirk, and every month a new Chinese company releases a new device.

It’s gotten where Linux based devices are $30 to $70, usually good for 16 bit and handhelds. Android based $100 to $200 hit up to Dreamcast and PSP, with some GameCube and PS2. Past that, big price bump into the handheld PC range. Though there’s this Ayn Loki that’s supposedly a $250 windows device.

This all came a long way from the GP32 and the dingoo.
2 users liked this post: Nintex, D3RANG3D
I bought a Anbernic rg351p a while ago. Although some games have emulation issues I was really surprised by how well it runs RetroArch and a wide variety of games. The limit seemed to be N64/PSP. It does take sometime to set-up properly with custom firmware and everything as what the community develops is far better than what comes pre-installed. It basically feels like a much more powerful GBA and I mostly used it to play GBA games anyway.

[Image: 20210730_202727oik86.jpg]
3 users liked this post: hamarr, Tucker's Law, MMaRsu
That’s sort of one of the ones I was looking at. The newer model shaped like a SNES controller. Think I’m leaning towards the Android ones, specifically the Retroid 3 plus. But I’m into the idea of a 4:3 device. Anbernic has a 480p 4:3 Android device I’d be for if not for the analog stick placement.
(06-05-2023, 06:57 AM)Polident wrote: That’s sort of one of the ones I was looking at. The newer model shaped like a SNES controller. Think I’m leaning towards the Android ones, specifically the Retroid 3 plus. But I’m into the idea of a 4:3 device. Anbernic has a 480p 4:3 Android device I’d be for if not for the analog stick placement.

Retroid 2 Plus should work nicely.

Its everything and the Kitchen Sink time Rejoice
(06-05-2023, 06:57 AM)Polident wrote: That’s sort of one of the ones I was looking at. The newer model shaped like a SNES controller. Think I’m leaning towards the Android ones, specifically the Retroid 3 plus. But I’m into the idea of a 4:3 device. Anbernic has a 480p 4:3 Android device I’d be for if not for the analog stick placement.

Are you talking about that Game Boy looking Anbernic?  Ya the analog on that looks super uncomfortable.

I have a Retroid 2 Plus that works flawlessly on everything through Dreamcast.  It's discontinued though and looking at Ebay it'd cost about the same as a Retroid 3 Plus which has a much bigger screen, more power, and a real right analog stick.
1 user liked this post: Nintex
(06-05-2023, 05:47 PM)Nintex wrote:

Its everything and the Kitchen Sink time Rejoice

Lol, they literally called it Starfield Direct!

Did Microsoft have any original idea, ever?
(06-05-2023, 06:39 PM)Red Cyclone wrote:

Are you talking about that Game Boy looking Anbernic?  Ya the analog on that looks super uncomfortable.

I have a Retroid 2 Plus that works flawlessly on everything through Dreamcast.  It's discontinued though and looking at Ebay it'd cost about the same as a Retroid 3 Plus which has a much bigger screen, more power, and a real right analog stick.

It’s the Anbernic (have to look up the assortment of letters and numbers name) RG403M

[Image: csm_RG405M_2b23f2b877.jpg]

Having 4:3 isn’t make or break. 16:9 will be nice for PSP, GBA, and… Wonderswan.
After searching for a reliable and easy way to stream games from my PC to my TV over Ethernet or WiFi I think I've finally found a solution: Moonlight.
Moonlight makes use of the Nvidia Shield streaming protocol and has many clients both official and unofficial. You can basically stream Steam Big Picture mode directly to your TV as well and even your entire desktop if you want.

It took an hour or 2 to set-up and work out some quirks but my results so far is a buttery smooth 1440p@60fps on my WebOS LG OLED and sound works instantly through the TV's HDMI ARC set-up (although limited to Stereo). What I like about this set-up is that it mirrors what is happening on the PC. So I can just use my controllers/keyboard etc. connected to the PC and I won't have to mess around with Windows external display and Audio settings.

Also this thing runs in the WebOS 'developer mode' so while not official you don't have to root your device either or install custom firmware.
1 user liked this post: hamarr
(06-05-2023, 09:00 PM)Polident wrote:
(06-05-2023, 06:39 PM)Red Cyclone wrote:

It’s the Anbernic (have to look up the assortment of letters and numbers name) RG403M

[Image: csm_RG405M_2b23f2b877.jpg]

Having 4:3 isn’t make or break. 16:9 will be nice for PSP, GBA, and… Wonderswan.
I know a guy the smaller/older version of this (353m) and loves it. He put some kinda CFW on there (ie not the android it comes with) and now it loads up super fast and has a neat retro game themed menu)

I have an RG505 which is slightly bigger and widescreen. Sometimes I think I should have got the 4:3 one because I mostly play SNES and PSX on there but the widescreen has been nice for playing psp games (read: Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity)

I think they came out with a new model in the 4 inch 4:3, the 405 which has the same processer as the retroid 3 plus. that'd be sweet for DC I think.

btw anbernic has to have the most confusing numbering of all time. the first number is size, the second is ??? and the 3rd is generation (higher = newer)
https://www.analogue.co/duo
https://www.gematsu.com/2023/06/like-a-dragon-gaiden-the-man-who-erased-his-name-description-screenshots-and-release-date-appear-on-playstation-store-price-tracker

No Kamurocho is a first, though it is a side game. Curious about where they build for 8. Current trio has been recycled for five or six games now.
I really like the idea of spy Kiryu/James Bond Kiryu. has the potential to be hillarious/awesome.
1 user liked this post: chronovore
Are we all strapped in for the Keighly 3? Hyper
1 user liked this post: MMaRsu
[Image: MwmmAur.png]
4 users liked this post: benji, Red Cyclone, MMaRsu, Nintex
Switch 2 confirmed

[Image: hTDFEx6.png]
Metroidvania Prince of Persia
Mortal Kombat 1 fatalities

no rainbow flags in sight