Journal of Other Forum Analysis
A credentialed team of scholars investigate an elaborate social experiment
FUCK OFF, that's who.
The Nintentards are at it again at Famiboards

https://famiboards.com/threads/most-mid-game-youve-put-a-ton-of-hours-into.10860/

Quote:While we mostly play games we enjoy, what's a game that's left you indifferent, you barely remember, or just dislike in retrospect that you've put a shitload of hours into? They're games that can be mediocre, forgettable, or games that are just mindless grinds that leave you with no feelings other than some tedious busywork you find yourself doing.

-Fire Emblem Awakening. I actively dislike this game in retrospect and it's arguably the main reason I don't play Fire Emblem games anymore. I found the writing underwhelming and I hate the support/marriage/social facet of the game that's become prevalent and overcentralizing in later games. And yet when I look at my 3DS activity log, I have 150 hours put into the game. I will never get that time back.

-PSO2: New Genesis. 120 hours deep and I still find the combat loop pretty mindless and shallow. But running errands in it is fun, and I do enjoy occasionally checking in on it to see what new content they've added that isn't just mindless gacha or holiday events.

-Phantasy Star Universe. Probably 200 to 250 hours total over the X360 and PC version. It's old and bad but I can't stop myself.

-Warframe. I had a brief and beautiful fling with Warframe where I put 160 hours into it over the course of two weeks. But I never felt a true semblance of progression and the grinding was exhausting, so I haven't gone back since.

-league of legends oop

What are the average, mediocre, or unmemorable games you've played several hours of or continue to play, if not just out of habit?

[Image: xFNzETX.png]

Whoo

Cunt, you're either lying or you're a genuine autisty.

Either way, WTF?
Monster Hunter World came out in the 2 weeks I had between leaving one job and starting another. I've had some binges over the years but I will never forget the utter fucking bliss of doing nothing but compulsively play that game every single hour of the day I could until I had to go back to fucking work. Class.
We used to be a country

I’ll admit to going overboard with Zelda Tears last year. Had a period of a couple weeks at home and didn’t feel like taking my switch back with me. That excuse doesn’t work for Elden Ring. Maybe open world fantasy games automatically steal 100 hours of my life. Thank goodness Elder Scrolls 6 isn’t ever coming out.
Can't wait for Linkin Park to release the soundtrack for Top Gun III

Fire Emblem Awakening is great what is bro talking about
(09-09-2024, 07:14 AM)Besticus Maximus wrote: Monster Hunter World came out in the 2 weeks I had between leaving one job and starting another. I've had some binges over the years but I will never forget the utter fucking bliss of doing nothing but compulsively play that game every single hour of the day I could until I had to go back to fucking work. Class.

Just did this today actually, stay safe. Going to bed rn.
(09-09-2024, 08:40 AM)Nintex wrote:

Fire Emblem Awakening is great what is bro talking about

Nah he's right. As a FE nerd, it's garbage. 

Spoiler: weeb nerd shit no one cares about (click to show)
The whole game is almost entirely brainless rout maps on plain square maps. Pair up is stupidly overpowered, so just pair up avatar-sue with his waifu and click end turn to win. The plot is nonsense, I'd even argue it's worse than the abysmal fates plot, at least that one was memorably bad lol.

It's better than the souless ds games but it's still one of the worst in the series.
Fates took anything good in it and improved it tenfold. Even Birthright is basically the awakening concept done right.
2 users liked this post: Taco Bell Tower, Gameboy Nostalgia
(09-08-2024, 10:48 PM)Taco Bell Tower wrote: https://www.resetera.com/threads/martyn-ware-of-heaven-17-80s-synth-pop-band-offered-by-rockstar-games-7-500-to-use-their-song-temptation-in-grand-theft-auto-6-martyn-insulted.974805/page-7#post-128332704
Quote:As a musician, this is genuinely insulting. You can choose to be anything and you choose to be both loud and wrong. Do you think musicians shouldn't be paid a normal rate? There's more than one person in this thread telling you that this is incredibly low in the industry, but you're inexperienced, uneducated, assumptions are the thing you're choosing to hang on to. You can get paid more for a single episode of television, hell a single scene where your song plays in the background. But obviously you're not asking questions in good faith, it's clear you don't actually care. If you're gonna use phrases like "factual reality" at least know the facts.
Quote:User Banned (1 Week): Concern trolling over multiple posts, account in junior phase
Quote:As a game developer you are the one being insulting here. How can you compare a single song on a radio track of 450 to a song/music in TV. The song on TV will always be heard by the audience because TV works in sequence. There is no player agency or choice. Unlike in a game like GTA. Where this song will be on one radio station with hundreds of other songs.

Of course you will get paid more if your song is the vocal point of a scene compared to the super background nature of a GTA radio song.

Don't try to bring your non-interactive sensibilities of tradition television to games.

What you are doing are insulting all of the hard working days developers and designers that bring the game to life.

The band who rejected the offer even said that all he cared for was the big and nothing else and yet you are sticking up for such a greedy musician who doesn't understand the nuances of video games.

I am disappointed in you princess_V
We all know that any time someone comes out with the "As a game developer" schtick on that forum, it means they're do doubt making some shit looking, little pixel art 2D platformer.

Same goes for the "As a musician" poster. Some songs uploaded to SoundCloud yeah?
(09-08-2024, 10:54 PM)Greatness Gone wrote:
(09-08-2024, 08:45 AM)Potato wrote:
(09-08-2024, 05:12 AM)benji wrote: Black Ops II has two timelines and the later games are related to that. III and IIII (both hero shooters) are set in the future, Cold War and 6 (regular COD) are in the past. They're connected by some conspiracy that starts during the Cold War and goes into the far future or something, I don't think even Treyarch exactly knows but there are nuts online who really love that shit. The Wiki entries about the plot are like ten pages long.

The WWII relaunch is most likely over, Vanguard was a bomba. And it integrated poorly into Warzone.

Hopefully Microsoft does what Activision refused to and that's finally allow a year gap between the games now that they have Warzone. Cold War got rushed because Raven/Sledgehammer couldn't fill the gap year and then MWIII was a disaster because of basically the same team trying to fill the gap year again.

Blops is basically the only consistently good part of the franchise. People dismissed IIII because of no campaign but Treyarch has kept the innovations in that because they were game changers. Cold War and 6 are so much better because of the heal and movement. IIII also had some of the only good usage of the heroes because they let them be hilariously stupid.

Firebreak is the greatest hero ever in any hero shooter:
Dead Dead Dead Dead 

IIII originally had a campaign, it was a dynamic 2v2 thing about completing objectives. But test groups were too confused by it or something, so they dropped it for Battle Royale Blackout since they could stitch together all the maps and stuff already built for the game. That also provided a testing ground for Warzone. The reason they labeled the game IIII instead of IV was because that was supposed to represent the IIvII. IIII was probably my favorite COD since II, even despite WWII's hilarious incendiary shotgun, but they're so ashamed of it they didn't even put it back on Steam when they came back to it.

Kara said Infinite Warfare has a hilarious campaign and I meant to play that but I stalled out in my COD playthroughs in the middle of the first Black Ops.

I just find it hilarious that people play CoD campaigns these days. Why?
They are big budget, action packed, funny story wise, and short. I like all of the CoD campaigns, even the “bad” ones. I’d recommend Infinite Warfare if you have played in the last several years.
Infinite Warfare campaign was legit fantastic. I'm sure I bought it on a whim when Amazon had it on sale for 7 bucks or something not expecting much must I loved it. Surprisingly well written story and likeable characters (I think Brian Bloom, who plays the main character also wrote the story?), and a nice shake-up of the traditional CoD campaign formula with the optional side missions and space combat.

Plus you get to kill Conor McGregor.
This is one of many examples of why resetera is unbearable -

Quote:The game looks really good but 60€ for 9 hours is too much for me.

Guy posts a fair enough comment. The pony defense squad immediately jump on him

Quote:You pay for value, and the value is there 3x more than in some 50 hours games.

Also, its not 9 hours. Its north of 10.

You pay for value

Snob

Also, it's not 9 hours

[Image: 4dGQ8YT.jpg]

Then the whatboutisms arrive

Quote:12+ hrs of AB is worth more than 50+ hrs of repetitive grindy 'content' / BP grinding in GaaS.

Quote:I don't understand how some measure quality and fun in hours.

I think I have never seen this for movies or books, only videogames.

Quote:Most people waste significantly more money for a night out or a 5 minute restaurant meal.

If quality is the only thing that matters to these people then why not make every Sony game 5 minutes long
Watching the Soyny clowns play a Bowser Castle 1 tier platform level and claim it is the most difficult thing ever PlayStation™ Fan Discussing Their Fine Products 

Babies first platformer.  PlayStation™ Fan Discussing Their Fine Products
There would be worse things than everyone rushing to make 12-14 hour arcadey platformy games again

Nearly every game I play is long because I'm basically a weeb. I remember even the RE4 remake was like 40 hours. I think I had like 50 hours in Armored core 6.

I like long RPGs and I really don't want them to go away but I would have time for 15 hour bangers.
Yep, overall I agree that it is a good thing that Sony is copying Nintendo's homework. Smart how they mixed Pikmin with Mario Galaxy, basically what Mario 128 would've been.

Hopefully the 3D Mario team takes that personally and makes like Super Ultimate Mario Galaxy Wonder & Yoshi or some shit Mario
(09-09-2024, 07:14 AM)Besticus Maximus wrote: Monster Hunter World came out in the 2 weeks I had between leaving one job and starting another. I've had some binges over the years but I will never forget the utter fucking bliss of doing nothing but compulsively play that game every single hour of the day I could until I had to go back to fucking work. Class.

Sure. But he (and I am sure you) did not play 11.5 hours a day for 14 days straight.
(09-09-2024, 09:37 AM)Snoopy wrote: This is one of many examples of why resetera is unbearable -

Quote:The game looks really good but 60€ for 9 hours is too much for me.

Guy posts a fair enough comment. The pony defense squad immediately jump on him

Quote:You pay for value, and the value is there 3x more than in some 50 hours games.

Also, its not 9 hours. Its north of 10.

You pay for value

Snob

Also, it's not 9 hours

[Image: 4dGQ8YT.jpg]

Then the whatboutisms arrive

Quote:12+ hrs of AB is worth more than 50+ hrs of repetitive grindy 'content' / BP grinding in GaaS.

Quote:I don't understand how some measure quality and fun in hours.

I think I have never seen this for movies or books, only videogames.

Quote:Most people waste significantly more money for a night out or a 5 minute restaurant meal.

If quality is the only thing that matters to these people then why not make every Sony game 5 minutes long

I'm an advocate for much shorter games with greater replay value.

Still  PlayStation™ Fan Discussing Their Fine Products TRIGGER

EDIT: Like 3-4 hours short for narrative games.
Apart from rpgs I'd say 10-12 hours is enough for most games, but I understand why someone would judge a game's value by it's length.
(09-09-2024, 09:00 AM)Chudder Barbarity wrote: Nah he's right. As a FE nerd, it's garbage. 

The whole game is almost entirely brainless rout maps on plain square maps. Pair up is stupidly overpowered, so just pair up avatar-sue with his waifu and click end turn to win. The plot is nonsense, I'd even argue it's worse than the abysmal fates plot, at least that one was memorably bad lol.

It's better than the souless ds games but it's still one of the worst in the series.
Fates took anything good in it and improved it tenfold. Even Birthright is basically the awakening concept done right.

I disagree
+ Chrom and Lucina were great protagonists, overall it had a good cast of characters
+ They introduced or greatly improved the support systems, so you could develop some interesting pair-ups
+ The game offers a lot of customization and overall great gameplay
+ Apart from missing feet, the presentation was great, including some kick ass cutscenes and fantastic music
+ The story was interesting, especially how decisions in the past would decide what characters you'd unlock as 'children' in the future

- The maps were certainly a dissapointment (this is especially obvious when they re-use them in Engage and other games lol )
- The plot could've been better, they had a lot to work with that they didn't put to good use.

While there are better Fire Emblem games, Awakening is still well worth playing and there is a good reason why it revived the series.
3 users liked this post: Gameboy Nostalgia, Taco Bell Tower, BananaBlast
I wouldn't mind the industry going back to 20-30 minute balls hard, all killer-no filler arcade games tbh. been hooked on those kinds of games recently lol.
Nintex dateline='[url=tel:1725878370' wrote: 1725878370[/url]']
Yep, overall I agree that it is a good thing that Sony is copying Nintendo's homework. Smart how they mixed Pikmin with Mario Galaxy, basically what Mario 128 would've been.

Hopefully the 3D Mario team takes that personally and makes like Super Ultimate Mario Galaxy Wonder & Yoshi or some shit Mario

You can hear the Xboners cry themselves to sleep knowing that XBox would never bring back Blinx.
(09-08-2024, 07:16 PM)Cheststrongwell wrote:
(09-08-2024, 06:12 PM)D3RANG3D wrote:
Spoiler:  (click to show)

There's no way this bitch isn't bought and paid for by the CCP. Don't fall for her sexy tricks!

But sexy tricks are my favourite! Sad
3 users liked this post: Gameboy Nostalgia, Taco Bell Tower, D3RANG3D
I wrote a care post about game lengths but deleted it when I remembered I’m playing through Doom and Doom 2 yet again.
southwest wrote:Genuinely can't believe people are still blaming the CCU for this failing if that's what I'm reading. The CCU is only that low because it has already failed.

AmFreak wrote:One look at all the data available and everyone can immediately see why it bombed (not a good game).
At the same time i have never seen anything close to this level of spin for a no name 62% mc game.
It's like we have reached a whole new level of fanboyism

https://www.resetera.com/threads/concord-sales-ceasing-immediately-offering-refunds-to-all-customers-the-game-will-be-taken-offline-beginning-sept-6th-check-staff-post.970872/page-88#post-128387634

Social Justice Warrior
(09-09-2024, 11:08 AM)Nintex wrote:
(09-09-2024, 09:00 AM)Chudder Barbarity wrote: Nah he's right. As a FE nerd, it's garbage. 

I disagree
+ Chrom and Lucina were great protagonists, overall it had a good cast of characters
+ They introduced or greatly improved the support systems, so you could develop some interesting pair-ups
+ The game offers a lot of customization and overall great gameplay
+ Apart from missing feet, the presentation was great, including some kick ass cutscenes and fantastic music
+ The story was interesting, especially how decisions in the past would decide what characters you'd unlock as 'children' in the future

- The maps were certainly a dissapointment (this is especially obvious when they re-use them in Engage and other games lol )
- The plot could've been better, they had a lot to work with that they didn't put to good use.

While there are better Fire Emblem games, Awakening is still well worth playing and there is a good reason why it revived the series.

Spoiler: autism (click to show)

- They seemed to be pretty generic protagonists to me, while the rest of the cast are dumb one note gimmicks
- the support system is pretty much exactly the same as the gba games, expect for the S supports and no limits to how many you can get.
- I feel that customisation greatly detracts from the game (though I've never been a fan of customisation in FE in the first place). it's too easy to break the game wide open with unlimited reclassing. Fates improved it with the restrictions to the reclassing and better skill system. And again gampeplay wise, it greatly suffers from a lack of map and objective variety, and poor balance, especially on the higher difficulties.
- I will admit it does look pretty, and the 3DS games have great GUIs thanks to their dual screens. I'm also probably the only person who doesn't really care for the soundtrack lol.
- The story was basically three completely unrelated plots loosely stitched together. and none of the kids besides Lucina have plot relevance (I didn't even get any of the other kids besides her lol that's how pointless they are)

It revived the series (for better or worse) solely because there was literally nothing on the 3DS at the time lol. There was like, what, 2 mediocre mario games, a couple of N64 ports, and ???. Really, there's no reason to go back to it when Fates exists.
2 users liked this post: Gameboy Nostalgia, Taco Bell Tower
[Image: 4B7ITCK.jpeg]

https://bsky.app/profile/melodyshreds.bsky.social/post/3l3phjm3idv2r

Every fat man in history has done this Malds, chill
(09-09-2024, 01:53 AM)DavidCroquet wrote: [Image: DARE-logo_opt.jpg]
No.

(09-09-2024, 09:25 AM)jooseloose wrote: We all know that any time someone comes out with the "As a game developer" schtick on that forum, it means they're do doubt making some shit looking, little pixel art 2D platformer.
Same goes for the "As a musician" poster. Some songs uploaded to SoundCloud yeah?
As a lesbian...
(09-09-2024, 11:55 AM)kaleidoscopium wrote: [Image: 4B7ITCK.jpeg]

https://bsky.app/profile/melodyshreds.bsky.social/post/3l3phjm3idv2r

Every fat man in history has done this Malds, chill

[Image: 74rR.gif]
[Image: JvNHZVJ.jpg]