Random Gaming Talk
For when you don't want to make a thread
Warhammer 40k Space Marine II has leaked

[Image: yhd6Um.gif]

Studio that did all those beautiful HALO cinematics is closing down.
2 users liked this post: chronovore, who is ted danson?
Game is sick! Cant see this getting below 9's

[Image: Space-Marine-2.png]
2 users liked this post: Polident, who is ted danson?
First game was amazing.
1 user liked this post: Polident
(07-16-2024, 11:05 PM)MMaRsu wrote: Game is sick! Cant see this getting below 9's

[Image: Space-Marine-2.png]

Of the plethora of WH40K games, which one is this, pray tell — OR FACE ACCUSATIONS OF HERESY!
1 user liked this post: MMaRsu
I imagine it's the leaked build of Space Marine 2.
2 users liked this post: chronovore, MMaRsu
(07-18-2024, 02:39 PM)HardcoreRetro wrote: I imagine it's the leaked build of Space Marine 2.

That is indeed correct sir
1 user liked this post: chronovore
2 users liked this post: who is ted danson?, MMaRsu
3 users liked this post: who is ted danson?, porkbun, Nintex

1 user liked this post: who is ted danson?
That was a technological feat of a game at the time, but what a goddamned disappointment as a Rockstar open-world game. Absolutely shitty controls, married to Euphoria or whatever the middleware made it feel like controlling the main character was a cargo ship. Plodding, overshooting and walking past every needed spot or area. 

It was pretty. The facial performances are stunning. But the investigation portion ended up being retrofitted to the footage they had, and it ruined the core gameplay.
(07-24-2024, 09:22 AM)chronovore wrote: That was a technological feat of a game at the time, but what a goddamned disappointment as a Rockstar open-world game. Absolutely shitty controls, married to Euphoria or whatever the middleware made it feel like controlling the main character was a cargo ship. Plodding, overshooting and walking past every needed spot or area. 

It was pretty. The facial performances are stunning. But the investigation portion ended up being retrofitted to the footage they had, and it ruined the core gameplay.

Isn't this just all Rockstar open world games? I think Bully was the only game of theirs that didn't control like arse.
2 users liked this post: chronovore, D3RANG3D
Fair point. GTA IV was in on the Euphoria horseshit as well, but it got toned down for RDR, toned down even more for GTA V.

GTA III-era (Vice City, etc.) all control basically the same, and are more responsive than anything that comes after them.
(07-26-2024, 09:23 AM)benji wrote:

Still one of my favorite videos. I miss conan gaming vids.
His E3 stuff was great too.

Fallout London is out as well, its an amazing game so far.
Played Zenless Zone Zero at launch. It was properly hyped, had a ton of marketing, and it looked like a cyberpunk-adjacent F2P from the Hoyoverse — Genshin Impact had good gameplay, so I was hopeful. 

ZZZ is sadly, an apt acronym.

I played for 60 minutes or so at launch, and it was tepid gameplay with some portions that looked like it was on mobile. This is another of their ubiquitous play efforts, so maybe that's accurate. But it felt lame to be doing a grid maze on a PC playthrough. Non maze-gameplay combat was also overly simple. 

Uninspired to continue, I only booted it up again last night. Instead of remembering my login information, I had to re-login — TWICE, the start menu controls were reversed, and after all that and it went through two updates, it then wanted me to watch the opening cinema again (unskippable) and that's when I noped out. 

Deleted.

How can this much money be spent on building and hyping a game, only to have this much garbage preventing players from even experiencing it?
2 users liked this post: Potato, Nintex
It seems to be a trend,  AAA production values with mobile gameplay. The First Descendant falls into the same category.
(07-29-2024, 01:02 AM)Nintex wrote: It seems to be a trend,  AAA production values with mobile gameplay. The First Descendant falls into the same category.

OOooooh, thanks for the warning. I was on the fence about downloading that.
I'm starting to think that the only reason Genshin Impact was good is because they based it on Zelda BOTW.
Everything else Hoyoverse has done isn't as good.
I heard someone say today, "PS2 got three GTAs. GTA5 has three PSes."

Thought you nerds would appreciate that.
4 users liked this post: chronovore, MMaRsu, Potato, benji
Goated

How the mighty have fallen
In an alternate universe, Bungie just dropped Halo VII
1 user liked this post: Nintex
They were doing well, but accepted that initial offer from Microsoft back in the ONI days, it may have been what helped HALO become what it did, but it also could have been multiplatform — it debuted on Mac, for chrissakes. 

Once they made the deal with MS, it was jumping from the frying pan into the fire when they partnered with Activision. 

It's unclear what Sony thought they'd be getting from the acquisition. Seems like they were sold a deed to a bridge.
The funny thing about the Activision stuff is that I'm not sure they weren't right that Bungie should have stuck to the contracted releases, at least in the immediate term with a bit of schedule push, rather than trying to turn Destiny 2 into a live service thing targeting an increasingly hardcore base. And then done a whole Destiny universe set live service thing specifically produced for that alongside it.

Sure, Destiny 2 was big, but looking at what Activision pulled off with Call of Duty doing essentially this very thing...
lol I must have completely missed Sony buying Bungie Titus
Sony bet big on GAAS and bought the studio that 'invented' it. Plus they denied Microsoft the opportunity to buy Bungie later. 
Buying Bungie was as much about their 'next game' as it was their tech and knowledge about the GAAS market or rather the impression Sony had that Bungie had some kind of magic GAAS trick. Early on they praised Bungie for showing them how to improve their ongoing projects, tech, backend yadayada corpo buzzwords. 

They watched all the GAAS games bomb and crater and course corrected. All these companies were basically looking for the magic bullet that would bring them recurring revenue with a single big project. Thinking that after the first wave of bombs like Anthem, they could all do better. They also underestimate the server bills, support, localization, ongoing development and everything else that balloons operating costs. 

The big projects seldom do well right out of the gate. It either starts small and grows organically like Minecraft or you stick to your guns and keep fixing things until it catches on like FF14.
3 users liked this post: benji, saltygeneraltso, chronovore
Plus, any new GaaS game is tilting at the windmills of every other established GaaS game, because the game types are not wildly dissimilar, and the type of player who engages in that econosphere now are a limited pool. Each of them has strong preferences for specific gameplay niches, and everyone is fighting to make the game that addresses them. 

MEANWHILE: There is remarkable, untapped room for GaaS innovation, just choose a genre and observe what drives GaaS. Make a farming game with colletible variant plants, maybe sanctioned trading. Has there been a 1v1 fighting game with tournaments under GaaS yet? There are so many game genre which can support this, but everyone wants to focus on dumbed-down RPGs and hyper-competency focused FPS.
2 users liked this post: Nintex, benji