Random Gaming Talk
For when you don't want to make a thread

(It’s Watch Dogs)
Raiding bandit camps with a twist, this time YOU are the bandit Rollsafe

This is just cheating  lol
1 user liked this post: chronovore
in 10 minutes the Capcom show starts. Hyper
Well I guess Capcom already blew their load this year and has to reload for 2024. 

In any case the gaming industry is in a strange place. They want to appeal to 'modern audiences' but to do so they bank on nostalgia for remasters and sequels of games released 10 - 20 years ago(?) and movie IP's that peaked in the 80's(?).

With 75% of the games shown at this Summer Games Fest I wondered, who is this for? 

I don't
https://www.gameinformer.com/news/2023/06/01/sonic-the-hedgehog-co-creator-yuji-naka-sentenced-to-prison-for-insider-trading

lol get fucked
1 user liked this post: Nintex
Only got the chance to play the first hour or so of the FF16 demo.

good: overall seems pretty fucking good.
bad: the character faces which look like higher fidelity randomised ff14 cc models.
Comeon you might as well have called Clive Jimmy frost for how much of a jon snow knock off he is, I bet the it turns out king and queen aren't even his real parents!
(06-13-2023, 01:11 AM)Uncle wrote: https://www.gameinformer.com/news/2023/06/01/sonic-the-hedgehog-co-creator-yuji-naka-sentenced-to-prison-for-insider-trading

lol get fucked
Quote:Nilla
5 days ago
finally this is revenge for not letting the americans use the nights engine lol it only took 30 years
Isn't your brother at one of the devs owned by them? Sandstorm guys?
1 user liked this post: MMaRsu
(06-13-2023, 09:00 AM)HardcoreRetro wrote: Isn't your brother at one of the devs owned by them? Sandstorm guys?

Yep and still trucking along it seems.
3 users liked this post: MMaRsu, chronovore, HardcoreRetro

Sounds like they're going to double down on LOTR after they 'exploited' poor Gollum. Feels bad, man
https://grimacesbirthday.com/
Got the ASUS Ally yesterday.  Haven't had too much time to play games on it, plus that stock 512 GB SSD (had 420 GB after all updates and debloating) just isn't enough space- I have a 2TB SSD coming next week though.

Had a rocky start with it, but I am liking this device so far.  When I first turned it on and started setting it up, the on-screen keyboard failed to come up and I couldn't do anything until I plugged a keyboard into it.  After a few minutes, one of the ASUS-related processes crashed (I hadn't even gotten past the Windows setup yet lol) and it rebooted itself, then started working normally.  It crashed one more time when Windows began loading the desktop, too.  But after installing all the various Windows updates, Armor Crate updates, and My ASUS updates (which included two forced BIOS updates), it's working nicely.  A friend of mine got his today too and said he also had the keyboard issue, plus when he turned it on for the first time, it was asking him which device to boot from.
Dizzy

The Ally is noticeably lighter than the Steam Deck and is a bit smaller.  It's pretty comfortable to hold and doesn't get too hot (when playing games), plus the fans are pretty quiet even on turbo mode.  Similar to the Steam Deck, there's dedicated face buttons for accessing system-related options.  One button brings up the command center, which gives you on-the-fly options like performance modes, control modes (mouse, controller, or auto select), keyboard, FPS limiter, AMD RSR, etc., and the other is the "Game Library" mode, which is a Steam OS-like interface that adds application tiles you can select to go into games, making it so that you can easily get into games no matter if they're on Steam, Epic, Battle.Net, or something else.

The screen is 1080P/120 FPS and is pretty nice.  Definitely a step up from the Steam Deck for sure- but I wouldn't expect to get that out of most games.  Stuff I've tried so far:

-Diablo IV: With FSR on performance, I got 60-80 FPS at 1080P.  Looks great!
-Street Fighter 6 on 720P was no sweat, but I still need to tweak the settings a bit more to get 1080P/60 FPS out of it- got close at 55 FPS.
-Call Of Duty Modern Warfare II (hey, it runs!  This is unplayable on Steam OS) benchmark at recommended settings with FSR enabled at 1080P had an average of 94 FPS.  This was very impressive!
-Control: On higher settings at 1080P, it ran around 40 FPS.  Dropping down to 720P netted around 50 FPS.  Putting most settings on medium and then borderless with Vita rendering resolution (960x540) gave me framerates above 60.  Around 70-80 FPS on average.  Still looks pretty good, too.
-Cyberpunk: Needs some tweaking.  It defaulted to 1080P with FSR on.  I changed to performance.  Most of the settings were on medium or high and it ran at 40-50 FPS with some dips into the 30s.  Felt pretty playable and looked crazy good at this resolution.
-Wo Long- On FSR1, it ran at 50-60 FPS (with dips into the 40s) at 1080P, but looked pretty blurry.  FSR2 is very sharp, but framerate takes a hit and it's more in the 40s.
-Yakuza: Like A Dragon- 45-55 FPS on medium settings at 1080P.  50-70 FPS on high settings at 720P.
2 users liked this post: Polident, D3RANG3D
Spoiler:  (click to show)
[Image: giphy.gif]

How soon?
3 users liked this post: Potato, Tucker's Law, bork
(06-14-2023, 02:07 PM)D3RANG3D wrote:
Spoiler:  (click to show)
[Image: giphy.gif]

How soon?

This isn't part of the laptop odyssey (still on #9, lol) and I sold my Steam Deck and accessories off to cover most of the cost, so not much reason to return it unless it craps out before the return window is closed.

I kinda wondered if the Ally might be good enough for me to return the Z13 Acronym, and while it does have some impressive performance, it's nowhere near as good as the Z13 (which makes sense given that you could buy like three Allys for the price).  But it will be fun to use for couch and bedroom gaming and messing around with emulation.

Also forgot to note that I was running everything on turbo mode plugged in, which gives you 30w of power.  On battery it drops to 25w.
1 user liked this post: D3RANG3D
Did you get that external gpu thingie?
(06-14-2023, 02:33 PM)D3RANG3D wrote: Did you get that external gpu thingie?

The XG Mobile- I don't need it, but it is tempting to get the 3080 model or the AMD equivalent ones since they're on sale for $1100 and $800 when ASUS gets stock, then sell off my 3080 laptop, but I don't really see the point.  I'd totally do that if I could sell off my desktop to pay for the 4090 version, though.
ROG Ally sounds nice if they can iron out the bugs. I must say that after the initial "everyone wants this and will buy this" YooToober hype I haven't seen much coverage in terms of actual sales numbers or people using it.
I can't believe all the shit coming the remainder of the year still.  I literally cannot keep up with the drops.  Making us all gluttons.  Insane.  

Totally forgot about Phantom Liberty.  And what they're saying of the revamped upgrade/skill tree, it's even more reason of an excuse to do the corpo run Ive been wanting to do.  

Armored Core VI looks dope AF.  

Lords of the Fallen looks like a true next gen jank off.  Looks incredible.  

So much other stuff... Literally can't keep up.

…probably goty
1 user liked this post: Svejk
Found out that one of those Ally BIOS updates added an option to select VRAM- it defaults to 4GB, but you can select 8.  The recommendation was to try the auto-select option.

I checked out Call Of Duty again and the benchmark was a bit lower at 87 FPS in the result, but the game looked much better now.  Noticeably sharper and with less jaggies.

Got SF6 going at 60 FPS at 1080P now too.  But I think some of these games are going to be better at 720P for better framerates and added detail.
The bore is where I get social media influenced. 

I'm embarrassed to admit that every time someone has mentioned that From Software made the Armored Core games, I thought they were tactical mech rpgs (Front Mission) so I have never checked them out. I played all the way through the first Armored Core on Steam Deck on Tuesday and really enjoyed it. Which ones should I try to play before the new one is out?

Also got about halfway through Dragon's Dogma, and yeah it's still such an interesting, weird game, just a bit rough around the edges. Maybe this time I'll actually try the DLC content out.
2 users liked this post: Svejk, Nintex

Finally, next gen has begun
(06-15-2023, 05:50 PM)saltygeneraltso wrote: The bore is where I get social media influenced. 

I'm embarrassed to admit that every time someone has mentioned that From Software made the Armored Core games, I thought they were tactical mech rpgs (Front Mission) so I have never checked them out. I played all the way through the first Armored Core on Steam Deck on Tuesday and really enjoyed it. Which ones should I try to play before the new one is out?

Also got about halfway through Dragon's Dogma, and yeah it's still such an interesting, weird game, just a bit rough around the edges. Maybe this time I'll actually try the DLC content out.

Armored Core games genuinely follow the old thinking of every numbered entry being a noteworthy leap. Subtitled entries are sort of like expansion packs. But anyway, AC3 and its accompanying Silent Line are the best that can be emulated perfectly. Those and AC4 For Answer are my favorites (For Answer plays on RPCS3 Steam Deck with some graphical glitches).
1 user liked this post: saltygeneraltso
(06-15-2023, 05:50 PM)Nintex wrote:

Finally, next gen has begun

But that's none of my business...
Thank goodness I don't have a Xbox or PSVR2 (so far).. I wouldn't be able to take adding Starfield or RE4VR and 8VR to my backlog. 

Starfield looks literally insane in scope.  It's looking like NMS, ME and Skyrim all mashed together.  Who's got time to play such a massive game? Cripes almighty.