Journal of Other Forum Analysis
A credentialed team of scholars investigate an elaborate social experiment
(09-05-2023, 04:30 PM)Boredfrom wrote:
Quote:I have an appointment scheduled this week to see if I can get a diagnosis for Adult ADHD, or at least a referral to a mental health professional who can officially diagnose.

Don’t worry, you are.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/i-think-i-have-adult-adhd-its-destroying-my-life.761154/

There they go again with the self diagnosis thing.

That's not how doctors are supposed to work you moron. You go to the doctor they examine you and diagnose what they think you have. You don't go to the doctor, tell them what diagnosis you want and get them to agree.
back before doctors were instructed to affirm or get fired (and even now tbh) there's been a strong anti-medical-science stance of "you know your body and your needs better than any doctor, fuck 'em, ask this discord and they'll send you the hormones you need"
Spoiler:  (click to show)
"sometimes with hairs floating in them"
2 users liked this post: HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth, Taco Bell Tower
(09-05-2023, 09:49 PM)Uncle wrote:
Spoiler:  (click to show)
"sometimes with hairs floating in them"

That's how you know they work
Rollsafe
4 users liked this post: HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth, benji, Taco Bell Tower, Uncle
https://www.resetera.com/threads/person-involved-in-strange-disappearance-case-hoover-alabama-may-have-faked-her-abduction.743977/page-4#post-109438744
Commedieu got a second perm ban
Quote:User Banned (Permanent): Inflammatory drive-by in sensitive thread. Long history of similar infractions.
Quote:Shes gunna get executed. or at least life in prison.
3 users liked this post: HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth, benji, BIONIC
Out of all the ResetEra things I still don't understand what a "sensitive" thread is supposed to be when literally anything can be a sensitive thread Wut
5 users liked this post: HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth, benji, BIONIC, Taco Bell Tower, Uncle
Linkark07 wrote:As a lefty, I have always been disappointed I couldn't make my created characters left handed. Back when I played WoW 2008, that was one of my biggest complaints.

I mean, I understand it is more work to do and most likely, not everyone would use it to not make it worth the time nor money.

Link being right handed now pisses me off, though. One of the reasons TLoZ was one of my favorite games was because of Link being a lefty.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/how-difficult-is-it-to-implement-left-handedness-in-a-character-creator.761289/
going on an offended rant not because you see a "pronouns" option in starfield, but because you don't see a "character handedness" option

Rage
3 users liked this post: HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth, Boredfrom, Taco Bell Tower
(09-05-2023, 11:16 PM)Nintex wrote: Out of all the ResetEra things I still don't understand what a "sensitive" thread is supposed to be when literally anything can be a sensitive thread Wut

Yes?
3 users liked this post: HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth, benji, Taco Bell Tower
(09-05-2023, 11:33 PM)Uncle wrote: going on an offended rant not because you see a "pronouns" option in starfield, but because you don't see a "character handedness" option

Rage

Oh god, I just skimmed and thought he was talking about left handed controls which can indeed be a bitch to find it games, but it's really just about the character creation lol
https://www.resetera.com/threads/playtracker-estimates-starfield-has-surpassed-the-2m-player-milestone-on-both-steam-1m-and-xbox-pc-store-1m-with-just-the-premium-edition.761244/page-5#post-111586917
Quote:Monetising fake early access will never sit right with me, and it worries me that the 'early-access' periods seem to be getting longer. I also don't understand for the life of me how this doesn't drive a coach and horses through the promise of day one access for first party titles on Game Pass.
Quote:What is fake early access.
Quote:Early access is a term used to refer to cases where you can buy access to unfinished games before they launch. It's fairly common with indie games, especially those that are crowd-funded. Most often early access is used to help the studio fund the remainder of the development and to start gathering feedback and telemetry.

The 'early access' being sold for Starfield is different. As of Friday the game was finished, the game was launched, reviews were published, millions were playing. People aren't paying for the privilege of early access. They are paying for the privilege of not having late access. No amount of obfuscation through bundling changes that.

I don't think it should be that hard to empathise with those that aren't in favour of this particular monetisation scheme, especially as it is likely to become more popular and more extreme. EA have been doing something similar for years, and for EA FC 24 (what would have been FIFA 24) they are selling seven days 'early access'. That's in a game where being there from day one constitutes a clear competitive advantage over other players. The slippery slope is obvious here and I suspect quite a few in this thread currently dismissing concerns will feel quite differently in a few years time.

Separate to the slippery slope, I also think this puts an asterisk on Microsoft's promise of day one access to their first party games. Game Pass is, of course, still a very good deal, but it isn't quite as advertised. That promise is the pillar that differentiates them from the competition. I have no issue with them using premium upgrades to upsell to their subscribers, but in upselling using the temptation of 'early access' they are effectively selling people something they've already bought.
1 user liked this post: HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth
Real gamers buy the steelbook OH!
1 user liked this post: Taco Bell Tower
https://www.resetera.com/threads/is-it-just-me-or-are-left-political-parties-willfully-incompetent.761241/page-2#post-111584727
Messofanego wrote:Been seeing people here say "pragmatic" but it's really that leftists don't want to compromise with fascists, while liberals/capitalists are happy to in western nations built on discrimination, white supremacy, and capitalist hierarchies.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/is-it-just-me-or-are-left-political-parties-willfully-incompetent.761241/page-3#post-111590124
Nepenthe wrote:
Hodgy wrote:A lot of people in here espousing the views that make me dislike the left so much in recent years.

pragmatism != approving of fascism. Without pragmatism and how partisan modern politics is you will get nothing. the choice isn't healthcare with compromise or healthcare with no compromise. its healthcare with compromise or nothing and i say you go for the compromise (with exceptions of course) then heavily campaign to undo the compromises after the big change is in place.

of course we all have a different level of acceptable compromise.
While it is true that the act of pragmatism, in and of itself, is not inherently an approval of fascist or otherwise authoritarian and conservative tendencies, the practical context of such compromises by the left leaning party- historically- have been at the expense of people of color, women, and queer folks. This is inevitable if you find it necessary to work with fascist opposition to get something, and whether or not you do it willingly does nothing for the people who are at the wrong end of the barrel of these compromises. And if your compromises are on the basis of civil rights, under what banner can you reasonably call yourself an ally of the marginalized?
That is a lot of BS to justify incompetence.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/cardi-b-and-megan-thee-stallion-return-with-“bongos”-on-9-8-anybody-check-on-ben-shapiro.761424/#post-111593061

MrSaturn99, post: 111593061, member: 4417 wrote:live footage of benny boy right now

[Image: simpsons-smithers.gif]

https://www.resetera.com/threads/why-women-criticise-sexualised-character-designs-ot3-her-ass-is-part-of-her-character.275780/

But that's none of my business... Rolleyes
(09-05-2023, 05:14 PM)HaughtyFrank wrote:
Quote:TheHunter being banned sucks dearly, but denying that genocide does happen in this country via cops or even legislation (we have a pinned thread in EtcetERA for a reason) was just colossally dumb. And trying to defend that rhetoric is just a poor choice.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/us-poliera-2023-ot-1-kevins-no-good-very-bad-day.672442/post-111544302
Should we check the numbers on the population growth of these genocided peoples?

You know what, I'm feeling frisky so I'll spot you an ever better metric: per-capita death rates. I could even be convinced to allow the denominator to be any population you want. You ready to play?

(09-06-2023, 01:17 AM)Hap Shaughnessy wrote: https://www.resetera.com/threads/is-it-just-me-or-are-left-political-parties-willfully-incompetent.761241/page-2#post-111584727
Messofanego wrote:Been seeing people here say "pragmatic" but it's really that leftists don't want to compromise with fascists, while liberals/capitalists are happy to in western nations built on discrimination, white supremacy, and capitalist hierarchies.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/is-it-just-me-or-are-left-political-parties-willfully-incompetent.761241/page-3#post-111590124
Nepenthe wrote:
Hodgy wrote:A lot of people in here espousing the views that make me dislike the left so much in recent years.

pragmatism != approving of fascism. Without pragmatism and how partisan modern politics is you will get nothing. the choice isn't healthcare with compromise or healthcare with no compromise. its healthcare with compromise or nothing and i say you go for the compromise (with exceptions of course) then heavily campaign to undo the compromises after the big change is in place.

of course we all have a different level of acceptable compromise.
While it is true that the act of pragmatism, in and of itself, is not inherently an approval of fascist or otherwise authoritarian and conservative tendencies, the practical context of such compromises by the left leaning party- historically- have been at the expense of people of color, women, and queer folks. This is inevitable if you find it necessary to work with fascist opposition to get something, and whether or not you do it willingly does nothing for the people who are at the wrong end of the barrel of these compromises. And if your compromises are on the basis of civil rights, under what banner can you reasonably call yourself an ally of the marginalized?
Declare compromising with fascists off limits -> declare anyone who disagrees with you on anything as a fascist -> freedom to demand only one solution: violent revolution that destroys and permanently suppresses all social institutions to enforce a single one over everyone without their consent. Rollsafe

(09-06-2023, 01:17 AM)Hap Shaughnessy wrote: https://www.resetera.com/threads/is-it-just-me-or-are-left-political-parties-willfully-incompetent.761241/page-3#post-111590124
Nepenthe wrote:the practical context of such compromises by the left leaning party- historically- have been at the expense of people of color, women, and queer folks.
She should list these historical examples. Society
https://www.resetera.com/threads/teen-dies-after-participating-in-spicy-%E2%80%98one-chip-challenge%E2%80%99.761022/page-7#post-111578673
Quote:Damn that's rough.

Chip is no joke either. I ate one at work a while back and went 4 hours without water for $100 that I never even got paid. Not worth it.
Egomaniac
3 users liked this post: Hap Shaughnessy, HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth, Boredfrom
https://www.resetera.com/threads/teen-dies-after-participating-in-spicy-%E2%80%98one-chip-challenge%E2%80%99.761022/page-8#post-111580275
Quote:RIP to the teen.

I wouldn't take it off the market but it really shouldn't be marketing itself as a challenge (especially if its dangerous) and encouraging the behaviour and those warning labels should be at the front not the back (if kids shouldn't have them, why are kids still allowed to buy them?)

I get why some people like doing this stuff and if it's just them then fine, but I've never liked the idea of perpetuating the promotion of peer pressure and bullying friends and people into doing dangerous stuff under the threat of being mocked, shunned and belittled for it which in my experience is often what these types of challenges really amount to in my experience (especially when it's car stunts, falling from tall heights etc), espcially when said "friends" are deliberately targeting victims of bullying or know have health problems and issues. It really does feel like sometimes its "We'd rather see you dead then not being "A real man!" etc; Macho bullshit.
2 users liked this post: Hap Shaughnessy, HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth
(09-04-2023, 12:48 AM)benji wrote:

Dead Dead Dead

(09-05-2023, 11:04 PM)Taco Bell Tower wrote: https://www.resetera.com/threads/person-involved-in-strange-disappearance-case-hoover-alabama-may-have-faked-her-abduction.743977/page-4#post-109438744
Commedieu got a second perm ban
Quote:User Banned (Permanent): Inflammatory drive-by in sensitive thread. Long history of similar infractions.
Quote:Shes gunna get executed. or at least life in prison.

What?  Didn't Royaaan have anyone banned who dared question that Juicy Smollet would be given prison and pee-pee showers for life?  Now it's bannable?
AgeEighty, post: 111579075, member: 5451 wrote:I think it would be nice if posts had a "number of times replied to" count on them. This might help mitigate some of the reply pile-ons this forum can often suffer from people reading a post and insta-replying without reading what came after. Some posts deserve pile-ons but most don't.

PlanetSmasher, post: 111579312, member: 6260 wrote:Honestly, I agree, this does sound like a good idea. It might help people realize that they don't necessarily NEED to respond to a post if 10 (or 20, or 30, or 50........) people have already made the same point in response.

You’ll still get quoted to be called a dumbass even if that gets implemented
Yeah, the forum where posters don't read the OP and some, including staff, don't even read the thread titles are definitely going to read reply counts to consider if what they want to say needs to be said.
3 users liked this post: Boredfrom, HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth, Taco Bell Tower
that's cardi b?

pass
1 user liked this post: Taco Bell Tower
https://www.resetera.com/threads/former-proud-boys-national-chairman-henry-enrique-tarrio-is-sentenced-to-22-years-in-prison-and-36-mos-supervised-release.761343/page-2#post-
https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpreview.redd.it%2Fjanuary-six-rioter-v0-9bulkynyjjaa1.jpg%3Fwidth%3D640%26crop%3Dsmart%26auto%3Dwebp%26s%3Df2766ed2635b8024671a2440a08a362bc20a74cd
Quote:fun fact, this copypasta originated from here. what you posted is the inferior 4chan edit.
1 user liked this post: HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth
I can't decide if great prison abolition tweets should go in here because of Nepenthe (and Thordinson and others) or in Kulturkampf:

Spoiler: start of longer thread they made "explaining" it all (click to show)

Spoiler: Hesright (click to show)

BIONIC dateline='[url=tel:1693973974' wrote: 1693973974[/url]']
AgeEighty, post: 111579075, member: 5451 wrote:I think it would be nice if posts had a "number of times replied to" count on them. This might help mitigate some of the reply pile-ons this forum can often suffer from people reading a post and insta-replying without reading what came after. Some posts deserve pile-ons but most don't.

PlanetSmasher, post: 111579312, member: 6260 wrote:Honestly, I agree, this does sound like a good idea. It might help people realize that they don't necessarily NEED to respond to a post if 10 (or 20, or 30, or 50........) people have already made the same point in response.

You’ll still get quoted to be called a dumbass even if that gets implemented

This would absolutely be used as a reason to pile on more.
4 users liked this post: jorma, HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth, benji, Taco Bell Tower
That post dismissed concerns and got 45 replies but the staff did not action them. I don't feel safe. Social Justice Warrior
https://www.resetera.com/threads/nyt-magazine-americans-are-losing-faith-in-the-value-of-college-whose-fault-is-that.761091/post-111559017

excelsheet wrote:Uhh well the New York Times doesn't help
4 users liked this post: BIONIC, Hap Shaughnessy, Taco Bell Tower, benji
Adam Smith, 1759, https://oll.libertyfund.org/title/smith-the-theory-of-moral-sentiments-and-on-the-origins-of-languages-stewart-ed#lf1648_label_151 wrote:The first are those whining and melancholy moralists who are perpetually reproaching us with our happiness, while so many of our brethren are in misery, who regard as impious the natural joy of prosperity, which does not think of the many wretches that are at every instant labouring under all sorts of calamities, in the langour of poverty, in the agony of disease, in the horrors of death, under the insults and oppression of their enemies. Commiseration for those miseries which we never saw, which we never heard of, but which we may be assured are at all times infesting such numbers of our fellow-creatures, ought, they think, to damp the pleasures of the fortunate, and to render a certain melancholy dejection habitual to all men.

But, first of all, this extreme sympathy with misfortunes which we know nothing about seems altogether absurd and unreasonable. Take the whole earth at an average, for one man who suffers pain or misery, you will find twenty in prosperity and joy, or at least in tolerable circumstances. No reason, surely, can be assigned why we should rather weep with the one than rejoice with the twenty. This artificial commiseration, besides, is not only absurd, but seems altogether unattainable; and those who affect this character have commonly nothing but a certain affected and sentimental sadness, which, without reaching the heart, serves only to render the countenance and conversation impertinently dismal and disagreeable. And, last of all, this disposition of mind, though it could be attained, would be perfectly useless, and could serve no other purpose than to render miserable the person who possessed it.

Whatever interest we take in the fortune of those with whom we have no acquaintance or connection, and who are placed altogether out of the sphere of our activity, can produce only anxiety to ourselves, without any manner of advantage to them. To what purpose should we trouble ourselves about the world in the moon? All men, even those at the greatest distance, are no doubt entitled to our good wishes, and our good wishes we naturally give them. But if, notwithstanding, they should be unfortunate, to give ourselves any anxiety upon that account seems to be no part of our duty. That we should be but little interested, therefore, in the fortune of those whom we can neither serve nor hurt, and who are in every respect so very remote from us, seems wisely ordered by Nature; and if it were possible to alter in this respect the original constitution of our frame, we could yet gain nothing by the change.

It is never objected to us that we have too little fellow-feeling with the joy of success. Wherever envy does not prevent it, the favour which we bear to prosperity is rather apt to be too great; and the same moralists who blame us for want of sufficient sympathy with the miserable, reproach us for the levity with which we are too apt to admire and almost to worship the fortunate, the powerful, and the rich.
hmm
Completely unrelated content:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/smash-mouth-lead-steve-harwell-in-final-stage-of-liver-failure-update-passed-away.760653/post-111532062 wrote:Let's not do this. This behavior predates Trump, especially from this community, and after what happened with Etika it's something that has needed a serious community-wide addressing. For too long it's been acceptable to dance on graves if the graves belonged to awful people, but you let people dance enough and far too many may find they like it enough to see dancing as the point.
Quote:And apparently if you point out that the dancing and jeering is gross and classless, you’re part of a ”morality brigade”.
Quote:True and I agree with you, but you can’t deny that after Trump(Etika died in 2019 btw) it has been a more acceptable behavior. Hell, remember when Michelle Obama said “when they go low we go high” and people herewere like:
Fuck all that
Quote:I’m glad people are starting to speak up about this shit here. It really is fuckin gross and the mods do nothing.
Quote:
RedMercury wrote:And yet, nobody, not a single person has said alcoholism is a good thing.

It's so ridiculous when the morality brigade finds an opening in these situations to get their gripes in off the back of someone dying, that's somehow totally okay though and not at all shameful, I'm sure the guy's family would love the idea of using his death to complain about an internet forum.

You can recognize alcoholism is a shitty disease, and recognize that not everything about a person or their actions needs to be attributed to it, and that sometimes people do really shitty things that yeah, is going to have an effect on people's opinion about them regardless of if they are still here or have passed on.
So is the morality brigade the group of people who consider his death a joke and his life unredeemable because he made some stupid choices or the group that are expressing shock that so many posters here lack empathy and are either dancing on his grave or making it known how little they care about this dude’s life ending in tragedy?
Quote:
RedMercury wrote:There was like, one post on the front page that made a shitty joke and the user was rightfully banned. I just went through the whole thread and am not seeing a bunch of people dancing on someone's grave (unless you consider pointing out some problematic things grave-dancing), I don't know what you are referring to so please shoot me a DM and point them out so as to not further derail the thread.
There are multiple posts that fit my description on the first couple pages but I don’t feel any need to compile a list for you. Thankfully the thread turned around after the first couple of pages.

I don’t have a problem people pointing out negative things in someone’s life, but I do find it silly to christen the people calling for more empathy the morality police while there are people posting all the negative shit about this guy to make sure everybody knows what a piece of shit this guy has been. The latter group seem more like the morality police to me.
Quote:The first post you quoted was talking about the site in general, not only this thread , as were you when you said, and I quote, "It's so ridiculous when the morality brigade finds an opening in these situations to get their gripes in off the back of someone dying".

So you damn well know what that poster is referring too, the same thing the morality brigade you were talking about was trying to point out, and that annoyed you so much that you had to try and shame.
Quote:Maybe I’m showing my age here, but the idea to have consensus agreement that someone is an “awful person” is a relatively new phenomenon. Certainly an internet age thing. Like it would have been saved for someone like Ted Bundy.
Quote:Real talk? You're not wrong. Far too many people enjoy the fight, and making things black and white definitely lowers the bar and gives them more to fight over, which leads to where we are now, in this thread, where there's a discussion about a celebrity who has had health struggles, has made a couple of bad public choices, and is facing an awful EOL situation and a few people think it's not completely and utterly crude to creep in and go for cross court milkshake duck hail mary shots.
It's a rotten road to go down.
BossAttack wrote:
Quote:True and I agree with you, but you can’t deny that after Trump(Etika died in 2019 btw) it has been a more acceptable behavior. Hell, remember when Michelle Obama said “when they go low we go high” and people herewere like:
Fuck all that
And that was the appropriate response. Fuck racist assholes. I'm "going high" for them. I will dance on their grave every time.

I think the internet , not just Era, has a problem of immediately trying to dig up any dirt on someone they can find to sling it on them so as to either dismiss their opinion or show they aren't deserving of empathy. And sure, that's a problem. But for unapologetic racist assholes that have done considerable harm? Fuck em'.
Quote:
Quote:I don't think this is a site issue, because if you go on reddit, twitter, gamefaqs(which shut down politics), and ign, you'll see these same nasty comments. I don't think we should be making exceptions on who's death is acceptable to make fun of either because of how people will just take advantage of it(for example the Herman Cain sub).
I completely agree that it isn't a site issue, but I thought this site strived to do better than others. Clearly not the case when it comes to certain shitty behaviors, as the one we're discussing here.
Quote:
Quote:It’s becoming a near-weekly thing now to have Era thread’s full of people either wishing death on people, cheering cancer/illness diagnoses, or dancing on the grave of someone that has died. I just don’t understand it. It is physically sickening. It is completely allowable to do that on ResetEra.
It's fucking gross and the worst thing about this site. Some people here can be so smug and self-righteously obnoxious when when they think they are on the right site of the crowd.
mbpm wrote:
Quote:Hell, remember when Michelle Obama said “when they go low we go high” and people herewere like:
She was wrong then about that point, she's wrong now, and she will continue to be wrong about this point.

This attitude was always what got us into this mess and I will never agree with any revision of the past in this way.

That said, in terms of people below a certain war crime threshold its not going to be easy to establish a universal "fuck this guy" line on things, in the same way "separate the artist from the art" ethos will continue to be subjective for folks below that line. So gravedancing will continue to be kind of a case by case basis for me.

And in terms of the practice as a whole, I think its actually fine the way it is. People can gravedance, but there's always going to be people who are shouting it down one way or another. We see it in every thread no matter the person as well as the gravedancing. This slippery slope argument remains doubtful regardless of how artfully written some posts might be.

Which is just...discourse? A conversation? Normal? I don't see the reason to change it. Not all topics can avoid tension and not all topics need to. As long as people continue to feel they can speak they might as well allow what has happened.
RedMercury wrote:Amazing post
Quote:Just to show how bad it's been and how refreshing it is that some are calling it out, I'll add another +1 to this.

The "Did you know he/she said this??" on any tragic news thread is the fucking worst
Quote:I'd say this is the perfect example of a slippery slope.

There's always someone more to your left, there's always someone who is willing to go further to prove that they belong, to say the most extreme shit the loudest....add to that the mob mentality and these kind of threads keep getting worse and worse.

Now what used to be frowned upon it's almost a requirement, and until this thread if you said something you would be piled upon....frankly people are fed up with this attitude and that's why so many are speaking up.

About time.
Quote:Have to agree with all the posts calling out Era's kindness issue. Just a general lack of empathy throughout the site.
Dangerous amounts of independent thought going on in that thread. Better lock it.

I like this one:

Quote:I’m glad people are starting to speak up about this shit here. It really is fuckin gross and the mods do nothing.

Mate, the mods actively made it worse by softening the rule on grave-dancing so they wouldn’t have to ban their buddies.

Note this is the only situation in which they’ll update the TOS to keep the rules up to date.
Weird how a thread about someone dying due to alcoholism and cancer is not a sensitive thread in which talking shit about the dead person is bannable, but seemingly any other thread even remotely related to someone's potential fragility is sensitive. Weird.

Next they'll start banning people for saying Mitch McConnell shit his pants or something