TechnoTalk: Time to Tech
Because ChatGPT told me
ok so this is kind of a non-specific gripe

what the fuck is this website https://futurism.com/ ?

everything about it at a glance would lead me to believe it's supposed to be a generic tech blog, a Popular Science or something

yet you scroll down the list of their stories and EVERY SINGLE ONE IS NEGATIVE, or seeks to downplay/spread FUD about technology or its major players

Quote:Twitter Is in Extremely Deep Trouble

THIS APPARENTLY WASN’T THE FIRST TIME SAM ALTMAN WAS DRAMATICALLY FIRED

OPENAI’S BOARD WAS APPARENTLY SEETHING WITH RAGE BEFORE SACKING ALTMAN

ELON MUSK SAYS THERE'S A "LARGE GRAVEYARD FILLED WITH MY ENEMIES"

BINANCE CEO STEPS DOWN, PLEADING GUILTY TO MONEY LAUNDERING

LAWMAKERS DEMAND INVESTIGATION INTO CARNAGE AT NEURALINK

AMERICA'S LARGEST HEALTH INSURER DENYING CARE WITH AI THAT'S WRONG 90 PERCENT OF THE TIME, LAWSUIT ALLEGES

STARTUP WORKING ON SPACE BABIES, BUT THE RISKS ARE GRIM

Is OpenAI Melting Down Because It Secretly Created Something Really Scary?

OpenAI Employees Say Firm's Chief Scientist Has Been Making Strange Spiritual Claims

What Do We Know About OpenAI's New CEO, Mira Murati?

Rabbis Warn That Elon Musk Is Spreading the Type of Antisemitism "That Leads to Massacres”

Lawyer Fired for Using ChatGPT Says He Will Keep Using AI Tools

Did the Cybertruck's Actual Driving Range Just Leak?

In New Experiment, Young Children Destroy AI at Basic Tasks

Trump's Social Network Is Failing Miserably

Sam Altman Seems to Imply That OpenAI Is Building God

AI Platform Has a “Bounties” System for Creating Deepfakes of Regular People

I'm aware that negative news sells, and there is plenty of news that can be cast in a negative light

but this just feels like...bro if you hate everything that has to do with technology, maybe stop writing about it?

you would think "futurism" would be a forward-thinking site examining cool new tech and scientific developments, not whatever this is
1 user liked this post: Nintex
Didn't the original Futurism movement go from pride and excitement about technology into hopeless nihilism over the failure of utopia to spawn immediately leading to violent backlash against the entire concept of progress? Maybe they're just being historically accurate.
coming round to the possibility that the AGI told them the angel did actually speak to Joseph Smith
Photobucket has been threatening to delete my account for over a year if I didn’t sign up for some premium service. Feel like the next step is blackmailing me to make the photos public. Joke’s on them. All the photos are of an old school buddy next to dead animals we found during a road trip taken with my .04 megapixel Sony camera phone.
2 users liked this post: chronovore, Potato
(11-22-2023, 10:57 PM)Uncle wrote: ok so this is kind of a non-specific gripe

what the fuck is this website https://futurism.com/ ?

everything about it at a glance would lead me to believe it's supposed to be a generic tech blog, a Popular Science or something

yet you scroll down the list of their stories and EVERY SINGLE ONE IS NEGATIVE, or seeks to downplay/spread FUD about technology or its major players

Quote:Twitter Is in Extremely Deep Trouble

THIS APPARENTLY WASN’T THE FIRST TIME SAM ALTMAN WAS DRAMATICALLY FIRED

OPENAI’S BOARD WAS APPARENTLY SEETHING WITH RAGE BEFORE SACKING ALTMAN

ELON MUSK SAYS THERE'S A "LARGE GRAVEYARD FILLED WITH MY ENEMIES"

BINANCE CEO STEPS DOWN, PLEADING GUILTY TO MONEY LAUNDERING

LAWMAKERS DEMAND INVESTIGATION INTO CARNAGE AT NEURALINK

AMERICA'S LARGEST HEALTH INSURER DENYING CARE WITH AI THAT'S WRONG 90 PERCENT OF THE TIME, LAWSUIT ALLEGES

STARTUP WORKING ON SPACE BABIES, BUT THE RISKS ARE GRIM

Is OpenAI Melting Down Because It Secretly Created Something Really Scary?

OpenAI Employees Say Firm's Chief Scientist Has Been Making Strange Spiritual Claims

What Do We Know About OpenAI's New CEO, Mira Murati?

Rabbis Warn That Elon Musk Is Spreading the Type of Antisemitism "That Leads to Massacres”

Lawyer Fired for Using ChatGPT Says He Will Keep Using AI Tools

Did the Cybertruck's Actual Driving Range Just Leak?

In New Experiment, Young Children Destroy AI at Basic Tasks

Trump's Social Network Is Failing Miserably

Sam Altman Seems to Imply That OpenAI Is Building God

AI Platform Has a “Bounties” System for Creating Deepfakes of Regular People

I'm aware that negative news sells, and there is plenty of news that can be cast in a negative light

but this just feels like...bro if you hate everything that has to do with technology, maybe stop writing about it?

you would think "futurism" would be a forward-thinking site examining cool new tech and scientific developments, not whatever this is

Probably for the SEO

But overall I'm also noticing a lot of negativity in the space.
1 user liked this post: Nintex
Upgraded to a new iPhone after five years. From the 10 Pro to the 15 Pro. Haven’t decided if it’s a good or bad thing, but it’s mostly the same. Getting in the weeds about specs and such, I’m sure it’s a dramatic improvement. Not so much in practice. 

Inevitability these things reach a point of stagnation. But it means these products are viable for longer. In theory, anyway. Apparently youths see the number and size of camera lenses as a metric of wealth. Two small camera lenses? A poor. Three big lenses? Affluent.
1 user liked this post: Cauliflower Of Love
Young people are fucking stupid. It's a character flaw in youth.
(12-21-2023, 12:03 PM)Polident wrote: Apparently youths see the number and size of camera lenses as a metric of wealth. Two small camera lenses? A poor. Three big lenses? Affluent.

more is always better

She's really annoying. 

"They'll probably just get a job in AI. They'll be OK" 

This ignores the probability that "working in AI" is effectively identical to "training your replacement" in many cases.

What the fuck is this.
1 user liked this post: chronovore

The $10500 ‘video’ call
2 users liked this post: benji, Polident
Watched a review and it’s 10% impressive, 90% stupid and ill conceived.

Somehow the FOV of the screen is narrower than the considerably cheaper Oculus headsets. The fancy elastic knit headband can’t sufficiently support the headset weight. Apple tossed in a second headband, some cheap velcro one with a top strap, and most are still saying it’s too heavy. Heavier than other headsets that have internal batteries. And why if it’s already using an external battery didn’t they off load more to the box you’re tethered to?
(01-31-2024, 06:18 AM)TylenolJones wrote:

The $10500 ‘video’ call

Anyone who buys into this is a fucking idiot.

Anyone who actually buys it, is a complete fucking retard.
(01-31-2024, 06:51 AM)Polident wrote: Watched a review and it’s 10% impressive, 90% stupid and ill conceived.

Somehow the FOV of the screen is narrower than the considerably cheaper Oculus headsets. The fancy elastic knit headband can’t sufficiently support the headset weight. Apple tossed in a second headband, some cheap velcro one with a top strap, and most are still saying it’s too heavy. Heavier than other headsets that have internal batteries. And why if it’s already using an external battery didn’t they off load more to the box you’re tethered to?

Because some makes nice looking but poorly designed and functioning hardware. 

Signs you're in a cult
  1. Absolute authoritarianism without accountability
  2. Zero tolerance for criticism or questions
  3. Lack of meaningful financial disclosure regarding budget
  4. Unreasonable fears about the outside world that often involve evil conspiracies and persecutions
  5. A belief that former followers are always wrong for leaving and there is never a legitimate reason for anyone else to leave
  6. Abuse of members
  7. Records, books, articles, or programs documenting the abuses of the leader or group
  8. Followers feeling they are never able to be “good enough”
  9. A belief that the leader is right at all times
  10. A belief that the leader is the exclusive means of knowing “truth” or giving validation

I can give examples for all of these
It’s interesting insofar as even Apple seems to concede it’s not the product they wanted to make. The technology, at least as at a reasonable cost. Even for Apple. The whole endeavor seems like a way to bleed money out of loyalists and set the groundwork for what it someday might be.

The depth pictures and videos are also kind of creepy. It’s literally the minority report thing. Apparently new iPhones can capture them as well and reviewers recommend creating a backlog of them now. But yeah. There’s something creepy about peering into a 3D portal vs the abstraction of 2D photo and video.
(01-31-2024, 12:22 PM)Polident wrote: It’s interesting insofar as even Apple seems to concede it’s not the product they wanted to make. The technology, at least as at a reasonable cost. Even for Apple. The whole endeavor seems like a way to bleed money out of loyalists and set the groundwork for what it someday might be.

The depth pictures and videos are also kind of creepy. It’s literally the minority report thing. Apparently new iPhones can capture them as well and reviewers recommend creating a backlog of them now. But yeah. There’s something creepy about peering into a 3D portal vs the abstraction of 2D photo and video.
I read something on X from a Microsoft guy who claims he told Bill Gates way back when to buy all of Web 2.0 when it emerged but Gates turned him down.

Some in the tech space believe that this type of 'spatial computing' really is the future and the groundwork that Apple is putting in now will make them the market leader. Much like how Steve Jobs was early with the iPhone and everyone, including Microsoft execs, believed it was ridiculous to sell such an expensive phone that doubled as a PDA.

What is hurting Apple right now though is their ridiculous app store requirements and astronomical fees. Spotify and YouTube simply decided not to release apps on the Vision Pro.

I enjoyed some of the applications on Oculus, especially Beat Saber and Half Life Alyx. But I don't think a walled off Apple version of Oculus is as exciting.
However Apple might be able to deliver the VR/AR interface needed to bring it to the masses. Because most VR devices are still too cumbersome and complicated for normies or the performance just isn't there to ensure a mass market price. What I've seen hasn't impressed me though.

What is impressive if their marketing 
The barrier is the headset. There will be no mass market adoption while there is a physical barrier between the family members.

It's the reason functioning adults don't wear headphones while other members of the family are in the house and that's only the domain of teenagers and loner tech people.

This kind of product is just weirdo nerd sci-fi fantasy.

The closest anyone has got to something that might get mainstream crossover is the Google Glass thing, but that got killed for the very reason it could have been successful. It was too inconspicuous.
Virtual Reality
(01-31-2024, 10:24 AM)Potato wrote:

The $10500 ‘video’ call

What do you call this guy?

1 user liked this post: benji
(02-03-2024, 01:52 AM)TylenolJones wrote:
(01-31-2024, 10:24 AM)Potato wrote:

The $10500 ‘video’ call

What do you call this guy?

Busted

Not making Apple and Tesla look bad. Not like this!
2 users liked this post: TylenolJones, Potato
(02-02-2024, 07:45 PM)Potato wrote: The barrier is the headset. There will be no mass market adoption while there is a physical barrier between the family members.

It's the reason functioning adults don't wear headphones while other members of the family are in the house and that's only the domain of teenagers and loner tech people.

The closest anyone has got to something that might get mainstream crossover is the Google Glass thing, but that got killed for the very reason it could have been successful. It was too inconspicuous.

I see “functioning” as a qualifier, still, there are an overwhelming amount of people that simply exist with headphones on. They hear the world though transparency mode. Everything is filtered through the mic and speaker of their AirPods. Granted, we’re talking city folk.

If, hypothetically, tech reaches a point where AR is no different than a pair of glasses, plenty of people will always be in it.
(02-03-2024, 08:36 AM)Polident wrote:
(02-02-2024, 07:45 PM)Potato wrote: The barrier is the headset. There will be no mass market adoption while there is a physical barrier between the family members.

I see “functioning” as a qualifier, still, there are an overwhelming amount of people that simply exist with headphones on. They hear the world though transparency mode. Everything is filtered through the mic and speaker of their AirPods. Granted, we’re talking city folk.

If, hypothetically, tech reaches a point where AR is no different than a pair of glasses, plenty of people will always be in it.

They're called teenagers/twentysomthings and they will learn some manners and respect at some point and the headphones will come off. Every generation since mine has done this.
I'm seeing positive impressions for the Vision Pro overall.

A very big virtual TV is a very appealing selling point for people living in small spaces. Not to mention the pinching and zooming has that Wii-like novelty to it.
Most of them also hate to turn their camera on when they ZOOM for their remote job so the avatar video call thing is popular too.

From what I can tell Apple certainly nailed the UI/UX and the tracking of this thing is flawless compared to products like the Rift. Despite Facebook trying to rebrand it, most people still consider the Quest to be a party game like Singstar or a gaming console and after they acquired Oculus they've mostly put thier focus on making it cheaper. The Apple Vision Pro looks much more futuristic and fashionable a 'premium product'. They also market it that way, especially with white women explaining to their nerdy black boyfriends how it works as he awkwardly pinches and gasps with her smiling and sipping tea. They're selling the career woman corpo dream quite effectively. 

People don't mind wearing headsets in private as much as they do in public. 
Lots of folks in big cities want to zone out and do self-care or 'me time' to not get triggered and all that bullcrap so I think Apple has a winner on their hands again, in the US at least.

Sickos
1 user liked this post: benji
Should have had him getting hit by a car to get the real laughs.