“Every day, I come by your house and I pick you up.
Movies
American History X totally still holds up though ???

Certainly it's aged much less poorly than Francis Ford Copollas debut Blank Check
1 user liked this post: Nintex
It's surprising but Sid and Nancy still holds up. The first time I saw it I thought it was ok but I didn't like the guy who played Johnny Rotten, and it was Gary Oldman's first film so he was unknown. Watching it now is a very different experience. Especially because Courtney Love is in it. The irony of her being Nancy's pal is through the roof.
(01-05-2024, 12:21 PM)Eric Cartman wrote: American History X totally still holds up though  ???

Certainly it's aged much less poorly than Francis Ford Copollas debut Blank Check

Apparently it's Nep's favourite film, although she only watches the first half.
1 user liked this post: Potato
Triple Frontier 

On the movie itself, it’s pretty good. Subversive in a compelling way for a ex-military heist movie. The cast credibly felt like pros and old buddies. Whenever it throws out cliches, they’re almost red herrings for what you’d expect from this type of movie. For the most part, they handle complications like adults.

The story around the movie is interesting. What I remembered about it back in 2019, it was one of the earlier big Netflix streaming movies. The movie had been circling around studios for a decade before Netflix picked it up. When you look at where we are, after all these streaming services popped up and COVID, it’s not really anything special. But at the time it was a movie that was going to be in theaters with major studio backing. How quickly things have changed.

Ben Affleck’s part is also interesting as it’s the point before he got sober. So he’s bloated, tired, sad, and it really fits the character. Before delays, they would’ve been filming it when he was in Batman shape. Wouldn’t have worked. This is where that image of him wistfully looking at the ocean with his Yakuza tattoo is from.
2 users liked this post: chronovore, HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth
Watched Samurai Marathon.

I love anything samurai and this was pretty cool. Not a great film, but enough swords and intrigue to keep me interested. Action scenes were a little lacklustre though.

I'm really in a big Asian sword and sorcery kick right now so I'll probably do a few more like this over the next few weeks.
1 user liked this post: chronovore
https://deadline.com/2024/01/top-gun-3-tom-cruise-1235722328/

Cruise Missile

Biden put in the call. We’ve gotta get more recruits for WWIII.
1 user liked this post: Nintex
1 user liked this post: MJBarret
(01-12-2024, 11:43 PM)MJBarret wrote:

This is just so, so good.

REBEL MOON was such a shit-fest of bad habits, given form, unleashed on the world.

Thank god Disney didn't take him up on actually shitting all over the Star Wars brand. After TROS, Snyder would have gleefully put that nail in the coffin.

Spoiler:  (click to show)

4 users liked this post: HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth, NekoFever, MJBarret, Nintex
The Killer

Feel good movie, all told. Aspirational even. Maybe I should work in yoga instead of only lifting weights.

Speaking of, Florida man has a powerblock adjustable dumbbell set and a rack of fixed dumbbells. Least believable aspect of the movie.
(01-15-2024, 07:19 PM)Polident wrote: The Killer

Feel good movie, all told. Aspirational even. Maybe I should work in yoga instead of only lifting weights.

Speaking of, Florida man has a powerblock adjustable dumbbell set and a rack of fixed dumbbells. Least believable aspect of the movie.

Yeah, I liked this a heap as well. Clearly Fincher returning to the well a bit, with quite a bit of the story being carried by internal monolog. Really enjoyed it though. Tilda absolutely nailed her role.
On the excessive internal dialog, and lack of communication from the Killer. I assumed he spoke sparingly to again hide traces of his identity. That his voice could be recognized. But reading what Fincher and the writer said, he’s just very autistic. Which on reflection, yeah, makes sense. Very relatable character.

If there’s one movie I hope doesn’t get fucked by industry bluster or whatever else, it’s this one.

Cavill talented efforts with choreography and stunt work paired with Stahelski’s direction and stunt background has so much potential. That first Wick redefined gun action in movies. Need that for swords. The closest we’ve had are those Kenshin movies.
4 users liked this post: Nintex, chronovore, D3RANG3D, HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth

[Image: fvbobjr.png]
(01-25-2024, 09:48 PM)D3RANG3D wrote:
[Image: fvbobjr.png]

They had me until Conor McGregor showed up
1 user liked this post: HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth
I'm still up for it. Looks good, and Doug Liman has a good track record for action — but I hope he doesn't let his shakycam DP fuck up what should be pretty awesome fight sequences.
Why even call it Road House? Basically the only similarity is that he works in a bar.
1 user liked this post: Potato
Well, in that case why not call it “Cocktail”?
or Coyote Ugly
Lift is pretty entertaining.
Sure, F Gary Gray is no Steven Soderbergh, Kevin Harts no George Clooney, and the rest of the "oh, its them from that tv show" cast are no "rest of Oceans 11 cast" (exception being Vincent D'Onofrio who is criminally wasted as a supposed master of disguise who never actually puts on a fucking disguise ??? ) but its fine Leverage: The Movie style globe trotting heist shenanigans with bullshit ideas of how technology works (they steal an NFT lmao), fake betrayals and convenient 'the plan relied on everything going fucking wrong all along' nonsense, but like a lot of straight-to-netflix flicks better than the reviews suggest because it costing nothing left it a little undervalued.
“We might be looking at a second ice age.”

SCIENCE! Wut
1 user liked this post: D3RANG3D
(01-29-2024, 03:11 PM)D3RANG3D wrote:

"No eye witnesses?"

Wait, did they retcon the giant marshmallow man out of existence?
1 user liked this post: D3RANG3D
(01-30-2024, 09:45 AM)Potato wrote:
(01-29-2024, 03:11 PM)D3RANG3D wrote:
"No eye witnesses?"
Wait, did they retcon the giant marshmallow man out of existence?

Much better trailer.

Spoiler:  (click to show)
Who knows dickless is the mayor...although he was there and got marshmallow on him. lol

2 users liked this post: chronovore, Potato

Duncan Jones directing.

Animated in Unreal Engine 5.

Will be interesting to see how a video game engine handles a feature film.

Quote:Aneurin Barnard, who previously starred in The Goldfinch and Dunkirk, plays the titular Rogue Trooper, a blue-skinned, genetically-engineered soldier fighting on the toxic battlefields of a seemingly never-ending war. The sole survivor of a massacre that killed his squadmates, he’s on the hunt for the traitor that arranged their deaths. He does this with the aid of three of his killed-in-action squadmates, whose digital personalities still remain conscious after death and are uploaded into Rogue’s gun, helmet, and backpack.

Barnard is the only cast member whose role we know, and so as of yet it’s unclear who will play his squadmates and his traitorous nemesis. But the actor will be joined by Hayley Atwell (of Peggy Carter in the MCU fame, as well as Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning) and Jack Lowden (Slow Horses, Dunkirk) in what we expect to be significant roles.

Joining the trio is Daryl McCormack (Bad Sisters, Peaky Blinders) and Reece Shearsmith (Saltburn, Inside No. 9). The rest of the ensemble include a variety of surprising names, including Jemaine Clement (Flight of the Conchords, Avatar: The Way of Water), Matt Berry (What We Do in the Shadows), Diane Morgan (Cunk on Earth), Alice Lowe (Black Mirror, Garth Marenghi's Darkplace), Asa Butterfield (Sex Education, Hugo) and Sean Bean (Game of Thrones, The Lord of the Rings). It's a cast stacked with British (and New Zealand) gems.

Quote:Discussing the software, producer Stuart Fenegan said, “The advancements in Unreal Engine 5 and the inclusion of MetaHuman rigs mean that it is now possible to achieve a very high standard of animation within an indie budget. Working with our amazing partners at Rebellion, Epic and Treehouse Digital we are pioneering and developing a new creative pipeline that will enable independent production of CG animated films.”
(01-31-2024, 07:14 AM)Potato wrote: Will be interesting to see how a video game engine handles a feature film.

Unreal is probably getting more money from hollywood than it is the games industry* at the moment, tbh - AFAIK all the Disney+ star wars tv shows used it for environments

*other people in the games industry - Fortnite still prints money, obviously
2 users liked this post: benji, chronovore
Looks exciting:

https://www.pcgamer.com/henry-cavill-says-heading-up-the-warhammer-40000-cinematic-universe-is-the-greatest-privilege-of-my-professional-career/

So, apparently Henry Cavill is starring in and heading up a big budget Amazon Warhammer 40k project.

Supposedly announced in December.

Mouf Cruise Missile

Give it to me. Give it all to me.

Horus Heresy please
4 users liked this post: HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth, chronovore, Nintex, D3RANG3D