Journal of Other Forum Analysis
A credentialed team of scholars investigate an elaborate social experiment
The PoliEra thread devolving into Genocide Joe debate after a few "select" new voices arrive shows the masterstroke of the admin teams plan to cull the community.

Truly magnificent.

A masterwork of manipulation. Divest from capitalism, colonialism, and white supremacy!
(03-10-2024, 06:36 PM)Hap Shaughnessy wrote: https://www.resetera.com/threads/us-poliera-2024-ot-1-doom-eternal.800787/page-158?post=120296385#post-120296385

Human Resources wrote:yet another mostly-lurker who excessively reads US PoliEra:

this thread is extremely valuable to the forum in that everyone's contribution, whether its hard data, studious analysis, or just diverse people's feelings and viewpoints, all aggregate into something that lurkers like me can take in and feel more informed politically on a broad level. i don't agree with every post. hell, i don't agree with many posts a lot of the time, and i certainly don't take everything i read as gospel, but i'm able to engage with the news and political conversation IRL with much more confidence because i've read and considered so many different people's experiences, and especially because of the incredibly valuable scrutiny that outside sources of information get when they're posted in PoliEra.

one of the most frustrating parts about this situation on the board is that 99% of us all want the same things -- like when we close our eyes we all envision a just and equitable society, but i feel like the broader effects of social media on online discussion has made it difficult for us to realize this. we've established a standard of discussion that isn't sustainable, at least not for discussions of any substance. our discourse has become a hyperbole arms race where the hottest take is lauded and trying to discuss and actually work through a complex topic is dismissed as mealy-mouthed centrism or worse, a bad-faith attempt at social engineering towards a desired consensus.

being vulnerable online is dangerous. there are multi-billion dollar enterprises and warehouses full of servers bent specifically towards the purpose of finding and exploiting that vulnerability. and by vulnerable i don't mean just being personal, innocent, naive, ignorant, however we used to think about it -- being vulnerable online these days is often just being willing to describe your thoughts about a subject knowing that your knowledge isn't complete and irrefutable. being vulnerable online is putting your idea out into the world without drawing a line in the sand. i think that moderation should serve to cultivate that vulnerability, or rather, to facilitate an environment in which it can thrive

that's why human moderation is so important. it acts as the immune system of the platform. i don't know if the metaphor is apt, but this feels like an auto-immune disorder. moderation is performing its function, but the broader context of the forum as a complex organism with many parts all working in harmony is being lost. to stop the fire, we're venting sections of the ship into space without looking at what we're tossing out of the airlock.

what makes message boards uniquely valuable in our online world is that, in theory, we can trust that the platform can facilitate a better understanding through the shared experience and ways of thinking amongst the users. and this knowledge is stored and persistent, so as time passes the users can take advantage of this larger and larger context and come to a better understanding of the world, much like the scientific community has done for centuries. this is obviously impossible for open social media platforms -- social media moderates like a dungeon master tweaking enemy stats to make an encounter less one-sided and more exciting -- but it was and is possible here, we've seen it in actual practice.

the fact that we've fallen back to this thread to have this conversation says more about the board than it does about the thread. i'm sorry that this post feels so broad and scatter-shot, but this feels like one of the rare moments on the board where metacommentary is justified and frankly necessary. thank you, i'll go back to shitposting about dragon's dogma 2 now
omfg

So many mostly lurkers coming out of the woodwork suddenly...

To all the "guests" lurking here, why don't you consider calling this shit out for what it actually is...mod sock puppet accounts caping for themselves to keep all of you idiots subdued in your cage like the good zoo exhibits you are.

Nepenthe will be along with your daily carrot soon.
4 users liked this post: Taco Bell Tower, Tucker's Law, MJBarret, Genocide Joe
Addie wrote:More to the point, I thought the admin said it on 10/7. Not sure when during the day (I haven't seen those Twitter posts), but it should be knowable whether it was before, during, or after the Hamas attack on Israeli civilians.

Well it's a good thing that we have proof here!

[Image: destroyisrael.png]
Future anthropologists will be able to look back on sites like Resetera to mark when society became so fucking retarded that allowing someone to claim having a “head kid” was acceptable.
(03-10-2024, 06:41 PM)Taco Bell Tower wrote: Wait a second, they mentioned Bridie got banned, the headkid got banned?   What
So after Hecht spends his weeks of digging and tracking and noticing all the signs of an alt can you just file an appeal to your alt being banned by claiming it's a headmate's account?
(03-10-2024, 07:42 PM)DocWager wrote:
Hap Shaughnessy dateline='[url=tel:1710096730' wrote: 1710096730[/url]']
https://www.resetera.com/threads/us-poliera-2024-ot-1-doom-eternal.800787/page-148?post=120255474#post-120255474

Quote: Cop User banned (2 weeks): inflammatory accusations
Mezentine wrote:I'm sorry, I'm really not going to be carrying water for Israel on the day that new reporting indicates Israel literally waterboarded UNRWA members to get them to falsely claim that they were linked to Hamas. I don't know how old some of y'all are but I do actually remember the last time a major military power went down this route and the incredible and dehumanizing racism that led to the violent deaths of hundreds of thousands of Arabs and I'm really really not interested in denying the extremely obvious reality of what is actually going on over there right now. Like what are we actually fucking doing right now?

“See! See! We got your back!”

Ugh, I'm so tired of these Zionist pick me's. Big icky yikes oof move on your part, mod chuds Social Justice Warrior 2
3 users liked this post: Taco Bell Tower, kaleidoscopium, Gameboy Nostalgia
(03-10-2024, 07:46 PM)Propagandhim wrote:
Quote:what makes message boards uniquely valuable in our online world is that, in theory, we can trust that the platform can facilitate a better understanding through the shared experience and ways of thinking amongst the users. and this knowledge is stored and persistent, so as time passes the users can take advantage of this larger and larger context and come to a better understanding of the world, much like the scientific community has done for centuries.

Dead

Pee pee poo poo boobies
(03-10-2024, 06:52 PM)Hap Shaughnessy wrote: https://www.resetera.com/threads/us-poliera-2024-ot-1-doom-eternal.800787/page-148?post=120255474#post-120255474

Quote: Cop User banned (2 weeks): inflammatory accusations
Mezentine wrote:I'm sorry, I'm really not going to be carrying water for Israel on the day that new reporting indicates Israel literally waterboarded UNRWA members to get them to falsely claim that they were linked to Hamas. I don't know how old some of y'all are but I do actually remember the last time a major military power went down this route and the incredible and dehumanizing racism that led to the violent deaths of hundreds of thousands of Arabs and I'm really really not interested in denying the extremely obvious reality of what is actually going on over there right now. Like what are we actually fucking doing right now?

hmm

The assertions are contained in a report by the U.N. Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) reviewed by Reuters and dated February 2024 which detailed allegations of mistreatment in Israeli detention made by unidentified Palestinians, including several working for UNRWA.

facepalm
2 users liked this post: Taco Bell Tower, Gameboy Nostalgia
https://www.resetera.com/threads/russia-has-begun-a-full-scale-invasion-in-ukraine-read-staff-posts.556366/page-2734?post=120298350#post-120298350

PiranhaMan wrote:
KastuśKalinoŭsk wrote:[Tweets about the pope]
Jesus never negotiated with demons.
He washed feet.
(03-10-2024, 07:16 PM)BIONIC wrote: New lore drop

https://www.resetera.com/threads/why-women-criticise-sexualised-character-designs-ot3-make-her-look-more-corpulent-more-stuffed-where-the-eyes-cant-escape.275780/page-336?post=120297834#post-120297834

Twohearts, post: 120297834, member: 164181 wrote:Obiously it's not the bernchmark of feminism, but it's telling that this game couldn't even pass the bechdel test when I'm pretty sure even FFX did and that came out the year I was born. It honestly feels like the FF7Rs are just trying to be as much waifu pandering as possible

Is it the same birthday for all parts of the system? Thinking

But FF7R passes the bechdel test...
1 user liked this post: Taco Bell Tower
Pope says something "positive" about LGBTQIA that in reality doesn't break dogma.
Libs = OMG I LOVE THIS POPE!!  Grin

Pope says something about Ukraine stopping a war that the west is getting bored of.
Libs = THIS MAKES ME SO ANGRY. Jesus wouldn't do that!  maf

Spoiler:  (click to show)

TERF BITCH

Spoiler:  (click to show)

Quote:Why Harry Potter kinda sucks

So SO many peopla have been saying that Harry Potter is better than Twilight. That is NOT TRUE!!!!!!!

Here are just a few reasons why Harry Potter kind of sucks.

1. Theres too much swearing. Ron says “blo\*dy H\*ll” all the time, and Molly weasley calls Bellatrix Lestrange a B\*TCH in the last book! Thats seriously unaceptable! I mean little kids are reading that stuff!!! That kind of language is really bad!

2. Its too violent. Like people die in every book, i mean its just depressing! and good guys die too!! I mean lupin, fred (one of the best characters), tonks, etc. I mean little kinds and people shoudn’t have to read that kind of thing! that teaches people that death is ok and natural! I mean who WANTS to read about that kind of thing?

3. TORTURE. in HP, people torture other peopls JUST FOR FUN! thats WRONG! Its going to teach people that torture is okay and it’s not! I mean like Voldemort and Bellatrix like to cause people pain an dHAVE FUN KILLING PEOPLE! Thats so horrible that they like get turned on by killing people. Thats SO HORRIBLE AND WRONG! Not to mention depressing and WAY 2 DARK! Thats not okay for people to read. And for the death thing see reason 2.

4. Its british. British stuff is never as good as american stuff. America is the top country in the world. I  mean, im not trying to brag or anything, but its just a fact that america is the most advanced and powerful country in the world. Twilight is American,  Harry Potter is british. Therefore, by logic, Twilight is better. And just because Twilight is american automatically makes it higher quality, just because its America, no matter what you think of the book. I mean, British people can be really bad, like they fought against us and LOST in WW2, right? So seriously, they just aren’t as good.

5. Its comfusing. See above about it being british. But basically to go along with that, BECAUSE its britis, the stuff is confusing. like they use slang and stuff that doesnt make sense to ANYONE BUT BRITISH PEOPLE! and like the stuff they talk baout that is british and hard to understand. You shouldn’t have to use a fucking SLANG DICTIONARY when reading!!!!

6. The movies are crap. So like they’re made by an american compeny, but why the hell do they have funny accents? I hate watching movyes and not being able 2 understand the people in them!!!! I mean siriusly, WTF?! I always have to rewind and use subtittles when I watch the movies, because of the funny accents! I mean cant the actors talk normally? whyd they get weirdos for the parts anyways? They should of gotten normal people who can FUCKING TALK RIGHT!!!!!

7.  The chracters are ugly. Hermione is a frizzy haired dork. Luna is a weirdo and dresses like shes color blind. Rons a ginger, and we all know that gingers don’t have souns, thank to South Park… JUST KIDDING!  That part was a joke, of course, but still, he’s ugly. Harry is just a weirdo wit glasses and a freakish scar.

And Dumbledore is creepy too. He has a beard, beards are creepy! And he has a mustache too, that makes him look like hes evil!! We all know beards are creepy, and he wears a freaking DRESS! THATS SICK, MEN DO NOT WEAR DRESSES!!!!!!!! Also hes gay. thats creepy because hes so old! Old peopla rent supposed to be gay! nothin against homosexals, btw.

8. the villains are unrealistic. WHat kind of sadistic creepy fucking moron kills people and tortured them FOR FUN?!??! WTF?! And besides, its soooooo unrealistic i mean a REAL villain (like the Volturi) wouldn’t be considerate enough to wait until the end of the school year before enacting their evil plot. thats just unrealistic. And they’s just creepy losers with bad hair in cloaks. Yuk.

Anyways, these are just a few reasons Harry Potter is bad.

AND TWILIGHT IS BETTER THAN HARRY POTTER BECAUSE IT DOES NOT HAVE THE AFOREMENTIONED THINGS!

Stop thinking HP is SOOOO much better and trying to lord it all over us Twilight fans, thats just plain RUDE.
Isn't Joanne just using the correct language of academics? What's wrong with that?  Trumps
3 users liked this post: LoverOfCycles, Taco Bell Tower, kaleidoscopium
Saved the trans genocide thread from 3 weeks of no posts! 

baby meowsers wrote:Hi folks. Long time lurker, finally joined after putting it off and putting it off.

Really happy to see this thread but wish there was more activity! I have been scared but more determined than ever to live my authentic life with everything going on in the US. I'm in California and I feel grateful to have access to gender affirming care. I do not take this for granted and want the same safety and access for everyone.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/its-2024-and-yes-its-still-a-trans-genocide-an-faq-and-what-you-can-do-about-it-today-and-beyond.811257/page-2?post=120299844#post-120299844
(03-10-2024, 08:15 PM)Gameboy Nostalgia wrote: Isn't Joanne just using the correct language of academics? What's wrong with that?  Trumps
It's her INTENT that matters. SHE IS USING LANGUAGE FOR EVIL!
(03-10-2024, 08:18 PM)kaleidoscopium wrote: Saved the trans genocide thread from 3 weeks of no posts! 

baby meowsers wrote:Hi folks. Long time lurker, finally joined after putting it off and putting it off.

Really happy to see this thread but wish there was more activity! I have been scared but more determined than ever to live my authentic life with everything going on in the US. I'm in California and I feel grateful to have access to gender affirming care. I do not take this for granted and want the same safety and access for everyone.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/its-2024-and-yes-its-still-a-trans-genocide-an-faq-and-what-you-can-do-about-it-today-and-beyond.811257/page-2?post=120299844#post-120299844

Social Justice Warrior 2 Must be nice to live in California. Maybe stop trying to shove your privilege in other folx faces? Not everyone can move there. Keep your empty platitudes to yourself with that "I do not take this for granted" bullshit. Not all of us can get gender affirming care and you so flippantly saying you can is both inflammatory and dehumanizing. Show some fucking empathy.
5 users liked this post: Taco Bell Tower, kaleidoscopium, Potato, benji, Genocide Joe
(03-10-2024, 11:46 AM)Besticus Maximus wrote:
Quote:A few years back there was a falling out from a community I was part of and the admin and mod team. I stood by and did nothing while screen grabs and out of context posts were made to shame a mod into resignation. They had been nothing but kind and reasonable in my experience with them, and my inaction made me feel complicit. I am really uncomfortable that the only black nb admin (as far as I am aware) is now the target of similar action. Demanding that they come here and explain themselves is not what people want. They want their pound of flesh and I feel like anything less than a resignation will only inflame this topic further. They should feel the need to do it themselves and not because a community feels that this is how accountability works. This admin is a much smarter poster than I am and I appreciate their perspective. When it comes to serious topics, I feel like I learn something and helps me understand other people better.

Juche Sad dear leader is kind and gentle, and loves all of us, and you demons do not appreciate that leader is the source of all our comfort and happiness. Not only that, leader is conveniently non binary!

a few pages old but like

Quote:I stood by and did nothing while screen grabs and out of context posts were made to shame a mod into resignation. They had been nothing but kind and reasonable in my experience with them, and my inaction made me feel complicit. I am really uncomfortable that the only black nb admin (as far as I am aware) is now the target of similar action.

so is there EVER an appropriate time for someone to be ousted or resign? like what's an example of something that would be legitimately bad or go too far? like what if they expressed their love for dave chapelle, and context made it clear that they weren't joking?

and why isn't "said israel should not exist" on that list of things?
(03-10-2024, 07:36 PM)kaleidoscopium wrote:
(03-10-2024, 07:27 PM)kaleidoscopium wrote:
Kinvara wrote:Crossposting from the CC thread.

To summarize, I have yet to see the moderation's response to the following:

General code of conduct regarding political discourse
    The handling of politically-motivated suicide
    Whether or not the statement that "Israel should not exist" is acceptable
    Defending the ban of a user by discussing the semantics of the term "sex slave"

https://www.resetera.com/threads/us-poliera-2024-ot-1-doom-eternal.800787/page-158?post=120296688#post-120296688

HamSandwich wrote:Regarding point number 3, I just wanted to re-iterate the fact that this admin said "Israel should not exist" before the events of October 8 2023 - March 10, 2024 have even taken place.

Addie wrote:More to the point, I thought the admin said it on 10/7. Not sure when during the day (I haven't seen those Twitter posts), but it should be knowable whether it was before, during, or after the Hamas attack on Israeli civilians.

At the very least, there is an undeniable perception that part of Era leadership is antisemitic. I sincerely hope they aren't. It would behoove the administration to have an answer to all of Kinvara 's questions, since the longer this goes on, the worse it looks.

I can think of several courses of action that would be reasonable here, including just admitting that y'all are human and got Brady's ban wrong. That is perfectly understandable and eminently forgivable. But silence isn't one of those reasonable options, especially where the indicia of antisemitism are out there needing to be addressed.

Good luck to all involved. I think this thread is probably on its way out, so I'm thankful for the friends we made along the way.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/us-poliera-2024-ot-1-doom-eternal.800787/page-158?post=120298743#post-120298743

You pussies could all just up and leave the forum you know?

There plenty of alternatives that allow free expression of political views (don't you cunts come here though).

One big problem though is that you might not have the large scale audience for your bullshit that Resetera provides and you might even have to put up with some competing viewpoints every once in a while.

Your fragile egos might not survive and then you'd have to post a suicide threat thread which would subsequently see you banned instead of being given the attention you crave.

Get fucked. You did this to yourselves.
(03-10-2024, 08:20 PM)Uncle wrote:
(03-10-2024, 11:46 AM)Besticus Maximus wrote:
Quote:A few years back there was a falling out from a community I was part of and the admin and mod team. I stood by and did nothing while screen grabs and out of context posts were made to shame a mod into resignation. They had been nothing but kind and reasonable in my experience with them, and my inaction made me feel complicit. I am really uncomfortable that the only black nb admin (as far as I am aware) is now the target of similar action. Demanding that they come here and explain themselves is not what people want. They want their pound of flesh and I feel like anything less than a resignation will only inflame this topic further. They should feel the need to do it themselves and not because a community feels that this is how accountability works. This admin is a much smarter poster than I am and I appreciate their perspective. When it comes to serious topics, I feel like I learn something and helps me understand other people better.

Juche Sad dear leader is kind and gentle, and loves all of us, and you demons do not appreciate that leader is the source of all our comfort and happiness. Not only that, leader is conveniently non binary!

a few pages old but like

Quote:I stood by and did nothing while screen grabs and out of context posts were made to shame a mod into resignation. They had been nothing but kind and reasonable in my experience with them, and my inaction made me feel complicit. I am really uncomfortable that the only black nb admin (as far as I am aware) is now the target of similar action.

so is there EVER an appropriate time for someone to be ousted or resign? like what's an example of something that would be legitimately bad or go too far? like what if they expressed their love for dave chapelle, and context made it clear that they weren't joking?

and why isn't "said israel should not exist" on that list of things?

If Kim Jong Un can keep his opinion about Israel to himself why can't Nepnep?   Rolleyes Stark difference in quality of leadership.
(03-10-2024, 08:18 PM)kaleidoscopium wrote: Saved the trans genocide thread from 3 weeks of no posts! 

https://www.resetera.com/threads/us-poliera-2024-ot-1-doom-eternal.800787/page-158?post=120300255#post-120300255
baby meowsers wrote:Hi everyone, long time lurker and finally getting around to posting.

I have relied on this community (and PoliGaf before this *shiver*) for political news and a grounding reality check when I start to spiral. As a Jewish trans woman, a progressive, a queer creative and a critical thinker, I have never felt more under the gun than I do now. This election scares the hell out of me and even though I have a supportive family and I live in a relatively safe place here in Cali, I would be lying if I said I wasn't terrified about what's happening.

I support the Palestinian people and deplore Netanyahu (as does my family, thankfully). The people of Palestine have a right to exist and we have a right to exist. I hope that this place can come to grips with making it a safe, welcoming space for Jewish members as well as people critical of Israel's actions.
(03-10-2024, 08:24 PM)Hap Shaughnessy wrote:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/us-poliera-2024-ot-1-doom-eternal.800787/page-158?post=120300255#post-120300255
baby meowsers wrote:Hi everyone, long time lurker and finally getting around to posting.

I have relied on this community (and PoliGaf before this *shiver*) for political news and a grounding reality check when I start to spiral. As a Jewish trans woman, a progressive, a queer creative and a critical thinker, I have never felt more under the gun than I do now. This election scares the hell out of me and even though I have a supportive family and I live in a relatively safe place here in Cali, I would be lying if I said I wasn't terrified about what's happening.

I support the Palestinian people and deplore Netanyahu (as does my family, thankfully). The people of Palestine have a right to exist and we have a right to exist. I hope that this place can come to grips with making it a safe, welcoming space for Jewish members as well as people critical of Israel's actions.

Troll account. Attempting to use the Trans defense to see if Moderation will ban them to stoke the flames.

Good idea but should have used an older account.
3 users liked this post: Taco Bell Tower, Tucker's Law, Boredfrom

(03-10-2024, 08:21 PM)Potato wrote: You pussies could all just up and leave the forum you know?

There plenty of alternatives that allow free expression of political views (don't you cunts come here though).

One big problem though is that you might not have the large scale audience for your bullshit that Resetera provides and you might even have to put up with some competing viewpoints every once in a while.

Your fragile egos might not survive and then you'd have to post a suicide threat thread which would subsequently see you banned instead of being given the attention you crave.

Get fucked. You did this to yourselves.

Benji should create PoliEra.net and give them a forum.  Money
I hear there's some of that there oestrogen out there in californie

[Image: gold-mining-man-94xnah068ngi22ub.webp]
3 users liked this post: Taco Bell Tower, killamajig, Gameboy Nostalgia
everyone whos tweets have been posted about that shite is a fucking retard
including ol jo
3 users liked this post: Taco Bell Tower, Gameboy Nostalgia, Potato
(03-10-2024, 08:24 PM)Hap Shaughnessy wrote:

Nepanyahu got a new alt I see
(03-10-2024, 08:28 PM)Gameboy Nostalgia wrote: Benji should create PoliEra.net and give them a forum.  Money
There was one, like back when Kirblar got demodded and then banned or so. They immediately locked it to outside viewers and I think it eventually broke up from infighting too.
(03-10-2024, 08:33 PM)benji wrote:
(03-10-2024, 08:28 PM)Gameboy Nostalgia wrote: Benji should create PoliEra.net and give them a forum.  Money
There was one, like back when Kirblar got demodded and then banned or so. They immediately locked it to outside viewers and I think it eventually broke up from infighting too.

We need the new posters! Think about it. Pull PoliEra here, get them comfortable, maybe invite more and more people, then sell the forum and make some cash. Think of your bank account, Benji.
2 users liked this post: Taco Bell Tower, Genocide Joe
B dumbs locking the poli era chat lol 

b dumbs wrote:This thread is being locked for now. Members of staff have been specifically targeted by off-site harassers and we have reason to believe that members of the discord of this community may have taken part. If we find that any member of this community has in any way taken part in any harassment campaigns, which includes doxxing and target harassment they will be permanently banned with no repercussions.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/us-poliera-2024-ot-1-doom-eternal.800787/page-158?post=120300831#post-120300831