Journal of Other Forum Analysis
A credentialed team of scholars investigate an elaborate social experiment
(03-21-2024, 08:23 PM)benji wrote:
(03-21-2024, 07:05 PM)Nintex wrote:
https://www.pcgamer.com/gaming-industry/events-conferences/game-developers-come-together-at-gdc-for-a-gdscream-to-vent-rage-at-the-state-of-the-industry-it-feels-hard-to-be-here-and-pretend-like-everything-is-fine/ wrote:The public scream, organized by former Epic Games producer Caryl Shaw and Fortnite Festival designer Scott Jon Siegel, took place at 12 pm PT/3 pm ET and was exactly what it sounds like: A raw expression of outrage over an industry that has laid off thousands of developers over the past year, throwing countless lives into turmoil in pursuit of shareholder value.

Speaking to PC Gamer at the event, Siegel said he was prompted to organize the event by the frustration he's felt over widespread layoffs and the recent "Gamergate 2.0" controversy over narrative consultancy firm Sweet Baby Inc.

"When you have this many people coming together in the game industry, going to all these events, having all these people attend presentations and awards ceremonies where not necessarily everyone is even mentioning the layoffs, even mentioning where the culture is currently, it all feels absurd," Siegel said. "At the end of the day, it feels hard to be here and pretend like everything is fine in our industry, to say nothing of the world, when things very much aren't.

"So all I really wanted to do ... Can we just get people together for just a moment of catharsis—a single minute, smack in the middle of this entire GDC, can we just have some cathartic caterwauling together, even if we can say nothing else, even if there's nothing else we feel like there's nothing else we can say at this moment, don't let GDC go by without acknowledging that collectively, we feel like things are not okay and we want things to be different."
Quote:Freelance game writer Anne Toole said the current state of the games industry "is terrible," and impacts everyone, even developers who haven't been laid off.

"I was talking to someone yesterday, [who said] that some people are afraid to join companies if they have not yet had a layoff because now they're worried that as soon as they come, they're going to be the first to be kicked to the curb," Toole said. "And of course it has a distressing effect on the entire industry."
Alternate video: https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/1bkajwl/game_developers_protest_industry_layoffs_by/

It's their own fault for trying to participate in the industry. Blame colleges and their "game programming" courses.

That business degree would've looked better right now. Should've listened to mommy and daddy. wag
there's so much shit happening right now

kotaku is in the middle of collapse  Zack Snyder's Sickos (Batman edition)

No social justice. Only guides.

"But, sir.. I can't get past the Anor Londo roof tops. I was hired to write about trans gaming culture."

"GET."  Professor Scott Steiner "GOOD"
https://www.resetera.com/threads/kotaku-eic-resigns-over-new-editorial-edict-aftermath.829596/
(03-21-2024, 11:02 PM)Gameboy Nostalgia wrote: No social justice. Only guides.

"But, sir.. I can't get past the Anor Londo roof tops. I was hired to write about trans gaming culture."

"GET."  Professor Scott Steiner "GOOD"

You don’t even need to play games, just have chat gpt write it for you. 

Question: Can you write a strategy guide for Anor Londo from Dark Souls?

Answer: **Anor Londo: Strategy Guide**

Anor Londo stands as one of the most iconic and challenging areas in Dark Souls. This sprawling city of gods is filled with formidable enemies, treacherous traps, and daunting bosses. To conquer Anor Londo, players must exhibit patience, strategy, and a keen understanding of the game's mechanics. In this comprehensive strategy guide, we will delve deep into the intricacies of Anor Londo, providing tips, tactics, and insights to aid players in their journey through this perilous realm.

**1. Approach with Caution:**
As players enter Anor Londo, they are immediately greeted by its grandeur and majesty. However, beneath its dazzling facade lies a multitude of dangers lurking around every corner. From Silver Knights patrolling the streets to Giant Sentinels guarding the cathedral, Anor Londo is teeming with hostile adversaries. Therefore, it is imperative for players to adopt a cautious approach when traversing this formidable city. Proceed slowly and methodically, keeping a vigilant eye out for potential threats and ambushes. By maintaining a heightened sense of awareness, players can effectively navigate the perilous streets of Anor Londo and emerge victorious in their encounters with its denizens.

**2. Utilize Blocking and Dodging:**
In Anor Londo, players will find themselves facing off against some of the game's toughest adversaries, including Silver Knights, Giant Sentinels, and even Ornstein and Smough, the formidable duo guarding the city's cathedral. To survive these harrowing encounters, players must master the art of blocking and dodging. Utilizing a sturdy shield, such as the Silver Knight Shield or Black Knight Shield, players can effectively mitigate incoming damage from enemy attacks. Additionally, mastering the timing of rolls and evasive maneuvers is essential for evading devastating blows and creating openings for counter-attacks. By combining the use of blocking and dodging, players can navigate through the perilous encounters of Anor Londo with finesse and precision.

**3. Study Enemy Patterns:**
In Anor Londo, knowledge is power. Each enemy within the city possesses unique attack patterns and behaviors that players must learn to overcome. From the swift strikes of the Silver Knights to the relentless assaults of the Giant Sentinels, understanding the nuances of enemy behavior is crucial for survival. By observing enemy movements and telegraphs, players can anticipate incoming attacks, effectively block or dodge them, and capitalize on openings for counter-attacks. Additionally, studying enemy weaknesses and vulnerabilities can provide players with a strategic advantage in combat. For example, exploiting the Silver Knights' susceptibility to backstabs or parries can quickly turn the tide of battle in the player's favor. By studying enemy patterns and behaviors, players can master the art of combat and emerge victorious in their encounters with the denizens of Anor Londo.

**4. Snipe from a Distance:**
Anor Londo's expansive vistas and elevated platforms make it an ideal environment for ranged combat. Players equipped with bows, crossbows, or ranged spells can effectively dispatch enemies from a distance, thinning their ranks before engaging in melee combat. This is particularly useful when dealing with enemies positioned on distant ledges or narrow walkways, where engaging them in close-quarters combat may prove challenging. By taking advantage of Anor Londo's verticality and utilizing ranged attacks to pick off enemies from afar, players can gain a significant tactical advantage and approach encounters with greater confidence.

**5. Beware of Gargoyle Ambush:**
One of the most infamous encounters in Anor Londo occurs on the narrow walkway leading to the cathedral, where players are ambushed by a pair of gargoyles. These formidable foes swoop down from the sky, unleashing a barrage of devastating attacks upon unsuspecting players. To survive this harrowing encounter, players must remain vigilant and prepared to face the gargoyles head-on. Utilizing ranged attacks or spells to weaken the gargoyles before they close in can provide players with a significant advantage. Additionally, positioning oneself near the edges of the walkway can limit the gargoyles' mobility and make them more susceptible to attacks. By remaining alert and adopting a proactive approach to the gargoyle ambush, players can emerge victorious and continue their journey through Anor Londo unscathed.

**6. Shortcut Unlocks:**
Throughout Anor Londo, players will encounter various shortcuts and hidden paths that can streamline their progress through the city. These shortcuts often lead back to bonfires, unlock new paths, or provide convenient routes for bypassing previously explored areas. By diligently exploring each area of Anor Londo and keeping an eye out for hidden passages or illusory walls, players can uncover these valuable shortcuts and facilitate easier traversal through the city. Additionally, activating shortcuts can provide players with convenient points of retreat, allowing them to replenish their estus flasks, repair their equipment, or level up their characters without having to backtrack through treacherous terrain. By unlocking shortcuts and leveraging them to their advantage, players can navigate through Anor Londo with greater efficiency and resilience.

**7. Summon Allies:**
For players struggling to overcome the challenges of Anor Londo, summoning friendly NPCs or other players can provide invaluable assistance. By enlisting the aid of cooperative partners, players can effectively divide enemy aggro, distract powerful adversaries, and capitalize on strategic opportunities. Additionally, summoning allies can provide players with emotional support and camaraderie during challenging encounters, making the journey through Anor Londo feel less daunting and more rewarding. Whether facing off against formidable bosses or navigating treacherous terrain, summoning allies can significantly increase the likelihood of success and foster a sense of community within the Dark Souls community.

**8. Take on Ornstein and Smough:**
At the heart of Anor Londo lies one of the most iconic and challenging boss encounters in Dark Souls: Ornstein and Smough, the formidable duo guarding the cathedral. Comprising Ornstein, the Dragon Slayer, and Smough, the Executioner, this dynamic duo tests players' combat prowess, endurance, and adaptability like no other encounter in the game. To emerge victorious against Ornstein and Smough, players must adopt a patient and calculated approach to combat. Focusing on one boss at a time while keeping the other at bay is essential for managing the chaotic nature of the battle. Additionally, utilizing the environment to create distance, evade attacks, and heal is crucial for surviving the relentless onslaught of Ornstein and Smough. By studying their attack patterns, identifying openings for counter-attacks, and maintaining a cool head under pressure, players can overcome the formidable challenge posed by Ornstein and Smough and claim victory in one of Dark Souls' most memorable battles.

**9. Explore Thoroughly:**
Anor Londo is a vast and sprawling city filled with secrets, hidden treasures, and valuable resources waiting to be discovered. From hidden passages and illusory walls to hidden items and shortcuts, diligent exploration is key to uncovering the many mysteries of Anor Londo. By thoroughly scouring each area of the city, players can uncover valuable treasures such as titanite shards, humanity, and rare weapons, as well as unlock new paths and shortcuts for easier traversal. Additionally, exploring Anor Londo allows players to gain a deeper understanding of its lore, history, and significance within the world of Dark Souls. By immersing
Guides make sense, people that play games 5 years from release will still look for tips to play that game and generate traffic.
News is just social-media now so just reposting a press release with your thoughts adds very little to what is already out there.
(03-21-2024, 11:23 PM)Nintex wrote: Guides make sense, people that play games 5 years from release will still look for tips to play that game and generate traffic.
News is just social-media now so just reposting a press release with your thoughts adds very little to what is already out there.

But that would require game journalists to actually play games. Aren't you asking for a little too much?  Princess Peach
(03-21-2024, 11:11 PM)Hap Shaughnessy wrote: https://www.resetera.com/threads/kotaku-eic-resigns-over-new-editorial-edict-aftermath.829596/
Quote:I've said it before but CEOs really have the best job in the world.

Get hired by a company, ruin hundreds of livelihoods in search for an infinite money cheat, quit with a golden parachute while everyone else gets fucked over, get hired by a different company, repeat.
Now do the other 99% of CEOs. Society
Siren Siren Siren Siren Siren
Genocide Joe strikes again:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/biden-agrees-to-ban-lgbtq-pride-flags-at-us-embassies.829698/
Quote:It really help to be a soulless ghoul, too, so you never have to feel the pain of ruining countless peoples' lives.
You really think Nepenthe would be an ideal CEO?
(03-21-2024, 10:04 PM)Uncle wrote: I'm a reeeeeing gibbering moron who wants to make every thread about me me me and refuses to let others enjoy things
Umad
(03-21-2024, 11:33 PM)Not an Alt Account wrote: https://www.resetera.com/threads/biden-agrees-to-ban-lgbtq-pride-flags-at-us-embassies.829698/
Quote:And what will happen on september 30th, 6 weeks before the actual elections, when the money runs out again, and the hostage-taking GOP uses that to Trump's advantage? Wouldn't it have been better to fight this battle now and make sure it doesn't come back up for a vote until after the elections instead of throwing LGBTQ under the bus?

I don't think this was the right move.
fat4all wrote:really wish the left didnt give in on shit like this
krazen, PoliEra OP wrote:Issue is that the more wonky the GOP gets the more right they will pull the Dems and it's already a center-right wing country.

It's minor, but it's a big fucking message.
Wut It's fucking flags at embassies.
(03-21-2024, 11:33 PM)Not an Alt Account wrote: Siren Siren Siren Siren Siren
Genocide Joe strikes again:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/biden-agrees-to-ban-lgbtq-pride-flags-at-us-embassies.829698/

kyra wrote:This was the poison pill eh? fucking ridiculous.

fat4all wrote:really wish the left didnt give in on shit like this

symbolic or not, its still a pisser

.........is this the same bill as this one?

"boo hoo we can't fly pride flags, never mind $400,000 in actual money is being set aside for transing our youth and paying for chest binders"
(03-21-2024, 11:42 PM)Uncle wrote: .........is this the same bill as this one?
Yes, Genocide Joe threw the entire LGBTQ community under the bus just to get that spending.
(03-21-2024, 11:26 PM)Gameboy Nostalgia wrote:
(03-21-2024, 11:23 PM)Nintex wrote: Guides make sense, people that play games 5 years from release will still look for tips to play that game and generate traffic.

But that would require game journalists to actually play games. Aren't you asking for a little too much?  Princess Peach

The alternative would be asking them to actually do a little journalism instead of activism. I mean, how are they going to interview sources when their social anxiety prevents them from using the telephone?
Why would I want to play games and do journalism when this industry is so absolutely shitty and refuses to cater solely to my tastes? Fuck Gamers.
(03-21-2024, 11:42 PM)Potato wrote:
(03-21-2024, 10:04 PM)Uncle wrote: I'm a reeeeeing gibbering moron who wants to make every thread about me me me and refuses to let others enjoy things
Umad

Spoiler:  (click to show)
don't misread me, I'm in full support of you modding this way at ree Thank you for your service! 
(03-21-2024, 10:59 PM)Uncle wrote: there's so much shit happening right now

kotaku is in the middle of collapse  Zack Snyder's Sickos (Batman edition)

This is so goddamn delicious. They used their website for stumping their pet views 24/7 and now they're in the find out phase.

Delicious
(03-21-2024, 11:49 PM)benji wrote: Why would I want to play games and do journalism when this industry is so absolutely shitty and refuses to cater solely to my tastes? Fuck Gamers.

I know it's actual violence to make you play a game that has harmful content like cleavage and fit and attractive women, but sometimes a little violence is necessary.
Bolo
Gamers couldn't do ONE THING and buy Forspoken instead of Hogfart's and now you want me to emotionally labor for Gamers? Yeah, no, Gamers haven't earned that from me.
(03-21-2024, 11:50 PM)Uncle wrote:
(03-21-2024, 11:42 PM)Potato wrote:
Umad

don't misread me, I'm in full support of you modding this way at ree Thank you for your service! 

I know, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity.
Also, Benji, make me mod!!!!
(03-21-2024, 11:52 PM)benji wrote: Gamers couldn't do ONE THING and buy Forspoken instead of Hogfart's and now you want me to emotionally labor for Gamers? Yeah, no, Gamers haven't earned that from me.

You want me to give you guides?

Well, how about a guide to deez nutz!?!?!?!?!?!
(03-21-2024, 11:52 PM)Potato wrote: Also, Benji, make me mod!!!!
(03-21-2024, 11:54 PM)Potato wrote: Well, how about a guide to deez nutz!?!?!?!?!?!
Asks to be a staff member then immediately posts transphobic boys club rhetoric. Social Justice Warrior 2
Riot gay  Malarkey!  a late cum salami... don't put it in in my em... em... embussy jack.. you... you gotta respect... respect... 
3 users liked this post: LoverOfCycles, Gameboy Nostalgia, Taco Bell Tower
Even as people are explaining in the thread they're still posting this way: https://www.resetera.com/threads/biden-agrees-to-ban-lgbtq-pride-flags-at-us-embassies.829698/
Quote:Fuck that
Quote:Ugh wtf
Quote:Fuck off.
Quote:So LGBT people get thrown under the bus, and the hostage takers get given another set of hostages ready for one-month before election day.

Pure fucking incompetence.

Biden's White House is every bit as pathetic as Obama's when it comes to dealing with Republicans. It's a bad fucking joke.
Quote:Biden is running a clinic on how to lose an election as an incumbent.
Quote:this is why people say "both parties are the same" they're not of course but shit like this, dems ALWAYS folding and going along with republicans sure does make it seem that way sometimes.
Dead
Quote:and who actually follows politics and keeps up with the government shutdowns and knows this is essentially the best outcome by a long mile and doesn't really matter much.
OH, I guess Trans lives don't matter  Rolleyes
(03-21-2024, 11:59 PM)benji wrote:
(03-21-2024, 11:52 PM)Potato wrote: Also, Benji, make me mod!!!!
(03-21-2024, 11:54 PM)Potato wrote: Well, how about a guide to deez nutz!?!?!?!?!?!
Asks to be a staff member then immediately posts transphobic boys club rhetoric. Social Justice Warrior 2

I can do more if that's a requirement
This is a safe inclusive space for all women so please only post about what children's characters you think are having sex with each other and how.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1bkfhnq/kindest_players_in_the_world/
No surprised DrForester happily posted this.
LGBT flags not allowed in embassies anymore? SMOKE SCREEN TO COVER THIS UP!!!!!!  Existential

(03-21-2024, 10:15 PM)benji wrote: If you guys still refuse to accept the far-right is completely in alignment with Joanne on her fascist genocide goals:

"Just according to keikaku." - TERF BITCH