Journal of Other Forum Analysis
A credentialed team of scholars investigate an elaborate social experiment
(07-07-2024, 05:39 PM)DavidCroquet wrote:
Quote:So it's a real term with a specific meaning that she 100% uses correctly, but people don't know that and immediately overreact.

Yeah that sounds internet

Real Term? Check!
Used 100% correctly? Check!

Welp, no conversation to be had here folks. Era is extremely consistent that as long as those two boxes are checked, no words or language should be policed, criticized, examined, or otherwise considered.  Grin 

Spoiler:  (click to show)
https://x.com/TheCartelDel/status/1807951736780607716

Bonus: Del Walker, of “they won’t let me design hot black women in games!…actually, forget I said anything” fame seems to imply that because someone at MS spent 15 minutes putting some stick art on a document, that makes these classifications real.

[Image: GRciZkTb0AAdQq8?format=png&name=900x900]

Can’t wait for an avalanche of extremely-busy-bartender-accessible games to hit the market!

what makes a "real term?"

guys I have a new disability it's called internet AIDS and it's not problematic or appropriation at all, it's a well-established term in certain circles and I deserve respect and consideration for the difficulties I encounter due to my internet AIDS  Gloomy
(07-07-2024, 05:50 PM)Uncle wrote: what makes a "real term?"
MS and Alanah Pearce said so. Is that not sufficient? ???
https://www.resetera.com/threads/us-politics-ot-1-smoked-filled-mar-a-lago-rooms.826662/page-226?post=125506491#post-125506491

plagiarize wrote:My anxiety is through the roof right now for a host of reasons, some of them unrelated to politics.
Stop teasing us with vague statements. Stahp
(07-07-2024, 05:47 PM)Uncle wrote: [Image: c3eeDUc.png]

10k poster, they thought they were invisible  lol
Quote:So it's a real term with a specific meaning that she 100% uses correctly, but people don't know that and immediately overreact.

Real Term? Check!

Welp, no conversation to be had here folks. Era is extremely consistent that as long as those two boxes are checked, no words or language should be policed, criticized, examined, or otherwise considered.  Grin 

Bonus: Del Walker, of “they won’t let me design hot black women in games!…actually, forget I said anything” fame seems to imply that because someone at MS spent 15 minutes putting some stick art on a document, that makes these classifications real.

Can’t wait for an avalanche of extremely-busy-bartender-accessible games to hit the market!

And you folx wonder why I keep saying Xbox is dead, they develop for disabilities first Trumps 

3 users liked this post: Gameboy Nostalgia, Taco Bell Tower, D3RANG3D
https://www.resetera.com/threads/vikings-rookie-cb-khyree-jackson-24-among-three-killed-in-car-crash.920838/?post=125506059#post-125506059

Booshka wrote:American car culture and sprawl is so harmful and tragic. Just a force of nature in the country, need major changes to infrastructure and transportation policies, cars are killing us.
He was killed by a drunk driver.Why?
(07-07-2024, 05:39 PM)DavidCroquet wrote: [Image: GRciZkTb0AAdQq8?format=png&name=900x900]

Cool, so if I'm distracted while driving and kill someone I'll just say I'm disabled and that's bad luck for the dead guy?
(07-07-2024, 07:44 PM)Potato wrote:
(07-07-2024, 05:39 PM)DavidCroquet wrote: [Image: GRciZkTb0AAdQq8?format=png&name=900x900]

Cool, so if I'm distracted while driving and kill someone I'll just say I'm disabled and that's bad luck for the dead guy?

If the judge gives you shit, make sure to let them know that situational disabilities are real, and it is an insult to the accessibility industry if they don’t let you walk.
(07-07-2024, 07:43 PM)Hap Shaughnessy wrote: https://www.resetera.com/threads/vikings-rookie-cb-khyree-jackson-24-among-three-killed-in-car-crash.920838/?post=125506059#post-125506059

Booshka wrote:American car culture and sprawl is so harmful and tragic. Just a force of nature in the country, need major changes to infrastructure and transportation policies, cars are killing us.

You mean a disabled driver  wag
https://www.resetera.com/threads/why-women-criticise-sexualised-character-designs-ot3-make-her-look-more-corpulent-more-stuffed-where-the-eyes-cant-escape.275780/page-412?post=125501736#post-125501736

Popular
Quote:Our character designer is getting a little worried that the lack of a "booby lady" (her words, not mine) is hurting our game's marketing. I'm inclined to agree, but I'm a little uncomfortable with the idea, and it would kind of stick out from our other characters a bit. So I guess I'm wondering how to navigate the situation. Our character designer is a woman and I'm not, so I don't want to hop on my high horse about it for obvious reasons, but there surely must be a way to do this tastefully? I guess, are they any examples anyone can share of "tasteful" or at least not super male-gaze-y "booby ladies"? Is that possible, or is the entire concept of "booby lady" for marketing inherently a folly?
https://www.resetera.com/threads/why-women-criticise-sexualised-character-designs-ot3-make-her-look-more-corpulent-more-stuffed-where-the-eyes-cant-escape.275780/post-125500002

Amazing. Actual woman wants to add a sexy character design, guy reacts with confusion and runs to the "women" of Resetera
https://www.resetera.com/threads/israel-palestine-the-ongoing-israeli-genocide-in-gaza-icj-orders-halt-to-israeli-offensive-on-rafah-see-staff-posts-for-posting-guidelines.772478/page-362?post=125514783#post-125514783
Sordid Plebeian wrote:Wish the article included more information on how they arrived at that estimate

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(24)01169-3/fulltext
Quote:In recent conflicts, such indirect deaths range from three to 15 times the number of direct deaths. Applying a conservative estimate of four indirect deaths per one direct death [9] to the 37 396 deaths reported, it is not implausible to estimate that up to 186 000 or even more deaths could be attributable to the current conflict in Gaza. Using the 2022 Gaza Strip population estimate of 2 375 259, this would translate to 7·9% of the total population in the Gaza Strip. A report from Feb 7, 2024, at the time when the direct death toll was 28 000, estimated that without a ceasefire there would be between 58 260 deaths (without an epidemic or escalation) and 85 750 deaths (if both occurred) by Aug 6, 2024.[10]

edit:
Palas wrote:Now that you mention it, the referenced UN article doesn't mention the 3-to-1 to 15-to-1 ratio range they speak about here. So that's weird.
They linked the wrong reference, this seems to be the correct one:

Global Burden of Armed Violence

Document source: Geneva Declaration Secretariat
    Date: September 2008

https://www.refworld.org/reference/research/gds/2008/en/64390
(07-07-2024, 08:17 PM)Hap Shaughnessy wrote: https://www.resetera.com/threads/why-women-criticise-sexualised-character-designs-ot3-make-her-look-more-corpulent-more-stuffed-where-the-eyes-cant-escape.275780/page-412?post=125501736#post-125501736

Popular

[Image: Comedian-Patton-Oswalt.jpg]
Quote:The difficulty with using the word disability is that it means different things to different people. From community to community the right way to use the word "disabled" changes drastically. For example, do we use person centered language or do we use a different frame? In some circles, we might refer to"persons with disabilities" but some circles prefer disabled person or something else.

Mike 

I think those examples are not particularly good.
(07-07-2024, 07:44 PM)Potato wrote:

Yes but only if you speak with a heavy accent afterwards.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZJfMBBzepKbm7nLO74he...ynA74sVw&s]
(07-07-2024, 05:50 PM)Uncle wrote:

Real Term? Check!

what makes a "real term?"

guys I have a new disability it's called internet AIDS and it's not problematic or appropriation at all, it's a well-established term in certain circles and I deserve respect and consideration for the difficulties I encounter due to my internet AIDS  Gloomy

Eh, I can see why people see this as a real term (“when you have a kid you  are disable to use your hands all the time” “when you are distracted you are disable to see clearly”)

It just stupid semantics. I dunno in what context corpos use this, but maybe shouldn’t be use it when discussing video game difficulty.
On Famiboards:

Twohearts
Banned
Lilipup · From Straya

Last seen
    17 minutes ago · Viewing ticket

It was Tuesday!
MattB wrote:I remember watching this video and was like wow never thought of this stuff it's actually very interesting and useful to know. Then of course you have the crazies going after her for speaking facts.

The term seems pretty pedantic, being fair.

Quote:It's probably also because she's a woman.
MattB wrote:Which you would hope out of all places this one would handle it better.

Teehee
Alek wrote:Alana is right in that she's pulling information correctly from the Microsoft inclusive guidelines correctly. However, it is worth highlighting that I have heard people in the disability community upset by the use of this term on the basis that 'disability' is their identity and that you ultimately, can't acquire that temporarily or situationally.

Wait, WHAT!

Who willingly makes a disability an identity?
(07-07-2024, 08:37 PM)HaughtyFrank wrote:
Quote:Our character designer is getting a little worried that the lack of a "booby lady" (her words, not mine) is hurting our game's marketing. I'm inclined to agree, but I'm a little uncomfortable with the idea, and it would kind of stick out from our other characters a bit. So I guess I'm wondering how to navigate the situation. Our character designer is a woman and I'm not, so I don't want to hop on my high horse about it for obvious reasons, but there surely must be a way to do this tastefully? I guess, are they any examples anyone can share of "tasteful" or at least not super male-gaze-y "booby ladies"? Is that possible, or is the entire concept of "booby lady" for marketing inherently a folly?
https://www.resetera.com/threads/why-women-criticise-sexualised-character-designs-ot3-make-her-look-more-corpulent-more-stuffed-where-the-eyes-cant-escape.275780/post-125500002

Amazing. Actual woman wants to add a sexy character design, guy reacts with confusion and runs to the "women" of Resetera

[Image: GjMcCBG.jpeg]

sorry, this looks like shit

I would not give this game a second thought if I scrolled past this art

her arm is thrust over to the right, but somehow we can still see her palm? eeeuuugh?

feels like an artist afraid of perspective and foreshortening, who couldn't just draw her arm pointing toward the viewer slightly

also that leg at the bottom, it feels like "arms and legs are a series of sticks connected by balls," there's no sense of actual human musculature or build

also I don't know what the icon on the coin is supposed to be, it's a mess of lines that if I didn't know better I would say is some nonsense that was scribbled on by AI
(07-07-2024, 09:22 PM)Boredfrom wrote: Eh, I can see why people see this as a real term (“when you have a kid you  are disable to use your hands all the time” “when you are distracted you are disable to see clearly”)

It just stupid semantics. I dunno in what context corpos use this, but maybe shouldn’t be use it when discussing video game difficulty.

this might be a non native english speaker sort of thing, like yes technically you can also disable options in the game menu, words have literal definitions

but the full context surrounding this usage is simply ill-conceived and deserving of all the criticism it gets
Alek wrote:With that said, I'm not opposed to the term myself, but I wouldn't say that my disability is a huge part of my identity and that's something that varies from person to person and might affect how they perceive the phrase.

Oh, thank God.

But I’m opposing the term because it just plays with the scummy corpo talk of using accessibility as a way to defend dumbing down games.

Which is funny because I don’t disagree with the idea of having a pause button on Souls games.
(07-07-2024, 09:44 PM)Uncle wrote:
(07-07-2024, 09:22 PM)Boredfrom wrote: Eh, I can see why people see this as a real term (“when you have a kid you  are disable to use your hands all the time” “when you are distracted you are disable to see clearly”)

this might be a non native english speaker sort of thing, like yes technically you can also disable options in the game menu, words have literal definitions

but the full context surrounding this usage is simply ill-conceived and deserving of all the criticism it gets

I don’t disagree, I also had the same immediate reaction as you guys.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/us-politics-ot-1-smoked-filled-mar-a-lago-rooms.826662/page-229?post=125516940#post-125516940

Greg NYC3 wrote:
Watchtower wrote:Yeah it's code red at this point. Best chance we can hope for is swapping Kamala in ASAP and hope she survives being ripped apart between the media frenzy and overall misogynoir.
I... I learned a new word today.
He's got Royalan on ignore. lol
Watchtower wrote:Watchtower wrote:
Yeah it's code red at this point. Best chance we can hope for is swapping Kamala in ASAP and hope she survives being ripped apart between the media frenzy and overall misogynoir.

Triggered

This is the best idea you guys have?
Watchtower wrote:Watchtower wrote:
Yeah it's code red at this point. Best chance we can hope for is swapping Kamala in ASAP and hope she survives being ripped apart between the media frenzy and overall misogynoir.

[Image: QtGuQWQ.png]
2 users liked this post: Gameboy Nostalgia, Taco Bell Tower
The disability thing just reeks of corpo speak to me. Accessibility in videogames is super hot right now so why not just couch everything in those words. Cool, now we provide games for even more disabled* players!

*parents
(07-07-2024, 07:43 PM)Hap Shaughnessy wrote: https://www.resetera.com/threads/vikings-rookie-cb-khyree-jackson-24-among-three-killed-in-car-crash.920838/?post=125506059#post-125506059

the left has been up in arms about muh car culture as a new thing to whine about. why cant the us just be like the netherlands where everyone rides bikes everywhere? and dont tell me its because its the netherlands is the size of maine. they live their entire lives in fear of everything, big fast cars are scary so they have to get rid of them. 'assault rifles' are scary, have to get rid of them. most of them are scared shitless of black people but instead they try to befriend them so theyll feel safe lol
4 users liked this post: Nintex, Gameboy Nostalgia, Taco Bell Tower, D3RANG3D
SIDS cured my aunt's disability
(07-07-2024, 09:38 PM)Uncle wrote: [Image: GjMcCBG.jpeg]

sorry, this looks like shit

I would not give this game a second thought if I scrolled past this art

her arm is thrust over to the right, but somehow we can still see her palm? eeeuuugh?

feels like an artist afraid of perspective and foreshortening, who couldn't just draw her arm pointing toward the viewer slightly

also that leg at the bottom, it feels like "arms and legs are a series of sticks connected by balls," there's no sense of actual human musculature or build

also I don't know what the icon on the coin is supposed to be, it's a mess of lines that if I didn't know better I would say is some nonsense that was scribbled on by AI
is this not just bootleg lucina from fire emblem/smash?