Journal of Other Forum Analysis
A credentialed team of scholars investigate an elaborate social experiment
Elon Musk might be a meth addled satanist demon but deadbranding is so dehumanising  Everything worthwhile is being destroyed
(07-31-2024, 02:22 PM)kaleidoscopium wrote:
TheEchosOfTheCyborg wrote:To be blunt, this isn't on the userbase, Elon should NEVER have been allowed to buy Twitter, no one person should be able to buy and wreck and essential service like he did and the fact that nothing has been done to intervene is a failure of our governmental and economic system. Instead of trying to push people into other services (also ran by billionaires which lets be honest, are just more quiet that Musk), we need to push our governments into taking action, to make shit like this can't happen or take down Twitter and Musk for being dangerous.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/elon-musk-takes-fire-for-posting-fake-video-of-kamala-harris.940080/page-7?post=126544041#post-126544041

It’s a private company that sold itself to a private individual. Don’t like it? Go create a government owned Twitter.

How exactly did Elon ruin Twitter again? I’m a bit confused by that because aside from a couple of boneheaded decisions around ‘Verified’ tags, I struggle to see why it’s ruined compared to before.
(07-31-2024, 03:05 PM)Superstar wrote: Nelson Mandela is literally Hamas

Quote:This is a disgusting sentiment that is in itself reductive, ignoring the additional fact that the US has proscribed many we now consider heroes as terrorists (Nelson Mandela as one).

Post in thread 'AP: Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh assassinated in Tehran' https://www.resetera.com/threads/ap-hamas-leader-ismail-haniyeh-assassinated-in-tehran.940896/post-126546957

A: He was on a watchlist.

B: https://time.com/5338569/nelson-mandela-terror-list/

Quote:On the ANC side, a deciding factor was a shift in strategy that led some activists to see violence as a possible means to an end; the end being, the end of South Africa’s official government policy of the separation of blacks and whites. Since its founding in 1912, “the ANC fought against apartheid for decades through rigorously nonviolent means, mostly labor strikes and public service boycotts,” TIME later reported. But, “The ANC’s policy of nonviolence received a sudden and brutal setback in 1960.”

That’s when the Sharpeville Massacre took place. In 1960, South African police killed 69 black protesters in the town 40 miles south of Johannesburg; amid the crackdown that followed, the government banned the ANC. As the ANC went underground, Mandela became the head of the military wing of the African National Congress, Umkhonto we Sizwe (Spear of the Nation), also known as MK. In 1964, he was convicted of sabotage and treason, and wound up imprisoned until 1990. TIME later described the group’s activities from 1962 as “low-level guerrilla war.”

Defending the shift in strategy as a last resort, Mandela said in one of his interviews from prison, “‘The armed struggle [with the authorities] was forced on us by the government.'”

Now, I wouldn’t agree with him on a watchlist now, but during the Cold War it’s another matter. And hardly as a gotcha that the REeeee douchebag thinks it is.
Quote:Israel has been conducting a brutal and illegal blockade on Gaza for almost two decades with the goal of exterminating its people. They tried peacefully protesting in 2018 and hundreds of them got killed and many more got their kneecaps blown off by IDF soldiers, all while armed Israeli kibbutz "civilians" whose "settlements" are right next to military bases (human shields) cheered them on. Israel has also captured thousands of Palestinians with no charges and are raping them in prison. Hamas captured hostages to trade for the freedom of their hostages being held in Israel. Israel carpet bombed their own citizens to prevent them from acquiring this leverage, then blamed Hamas for the destruction they caused.

Hamas has civilian and military wings and killing their civilian leader while making a state visit to another sovereign state is - you guessed it - another war crime.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ap-hamas-leader-ismail-haniyeh-assassinated-in-tehran.940896/post-126544944
User banned (2 weeks): conspiracy theories and misrepresenting information over a series of posts

In another post he straight up called October 7th ethical resistance but somehow that earns him less of a timeout than someone admitting that they like videogame titties.
(07-31-2024, 04:00 PM)JoeBoy101 wrote:
TheEchosOfTheCyborg wrote:To be blunt, this isn't on the userbase, Elon should NEVER have been allowed to buy Twitter, no one person should be able to buy and wreck and essential service like he did and the fact that nothing has been done to intervene is a failure of our governmental and economic system. Instead of trying to push people into other services (also ran by billionaires which lets be honest, are just more quiet that Musk), we need to push our governments into taking action, to make shit like this can't happen or take down Twitter and Musk for being dangerous.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/elon-musk-takes-fire-for-posting-fake-video-of-kamala-harris.940080/page-7?post=126544041#post-126544041

It’s a private company that sold itself to a private individual. Don’t like it? Go create a government owned Twitter.

How exactly did Elon ruin Twitter again? I’m a bit confused by that because aside from a couple of boneheaded decisions around ‘Verified’ tags, I struggle to see why it’s ruined compared to before.

How can something be ruined but also be impossible to live without? Only Era knows.
(07-31-2024, 04:16 PM)HaughtyFrank wrote:
Quote:Israel has been conducting a brutal and illegal blockade on Gaza for almost two decades with the goal of exterminating its people. They tried peacefully protesting in 2018 and hundreds of them got killed and many more got their kneecaps blown off by IDF soldiers, all while armed Israeli kibbutz "civilians" whose "settlements" are right next to military bases (human shields) cheered them on. Israel has also captured thousands of Palestinians with no charges and are raping them in prison. Hamas captured hostages to trade for the freedom of their hostages being held in Israel. Israel carpet bombed their own citizens to prevent them from acquiring this leverage, then blamed Hamas for the destruction they caused.

Hamas has civilian and military wings and killing their civilian leader while making a state visit to another sovereign state is - you guessed it - another war crime.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ap-hamas-leader-ismail-haniyeh-assassinated-in-tehran.940896/post-126544944
User banned (2 weeks): conspiracy theories and misrepresenting information over a series of posts

In another post he straight up called October 7th ethical resistance but somehow that earns him less of a timeout than someone admitting that they like videogame titties.

And 6 times less than misgendering Ava Kris Tyson (if using "they" even counts as misgendering).
You see what the priorities are.

An essential service. lol

That’s the thing, it’s essentially the same site. Go back to those original posts when he took over and read how most expected it to implode by the end of the year lol
Poklane wrote:So fucking done with this continuing to happen everywhere while the rich assholes responsible for the bad business decisions which got these studios there in the first place suffer no consequences.
GamerAddict411 wrote:This is the reality of end stage capitalism. Fuck around and the people they lead do the finding out.

Badass

https://www.resetera.com/threads/bungie-is-laying-off-220-employees-or-17-of-its-workforce-155-additional-roles-will-be-integrated-into-sie-75-additional-roles-going-to-new-studio.941271/

Fucking crocodile tears.
(07-31-2024, 05:17 PM)kaleidoscopium wrote:
(07-31-2024, 02:22 PM)kaleidoscopium wrote: https://www.resetera.com/threads/elon-musk-takes-fire-for-posting-fake-video-of-kamala-harris.940080/page-7?post=126544041#post-126544041

That’s the thing, it’s essentially the same site. Go back to those original posts when he took over and read how most expected it to implode by the end of the year lol

Well, I wish didn’t need to register to actually be able to see tweets or how sometimes embeds just don’t work. Yeshrug 

Hardly smooth sailing.
(07-31-2024, 04:00 PM)JoeBoy101 wrote: How exactly did Elon ruin Twitter again? I’m a bit confused by that because aside from a couple of boneheaded decisions around ‘Verified’ tags, I struggle to see why it’s ruined compared to before.

Mainly: People no longer get banned for misgendering/going against the trans mafia and he unbanned some people who had been banned for stuff like misgendering.

Feeemales

His layoffs seem to have gotten rid of the progressive enforcers at the company who would ban the instant the likes of Taylor Lorenz directed them to some wrongthink.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Elon is doing a great job with Twitter... Advertising seems down and the blue check change was asinine... But it's the same website it's always been just with a bit more freedom for right wing voices than there was before the takeover.

Elon

The people complaining about Elon ruining Twitter were calling it an irredeemable Hellsite for years before Elon bought the place. They just don't want to see anything they disagree with.

literally shaking

Edit:Top page video game content

[Image: chun-li-by-minitinah02-v0-oq13lp979rmc1....1b6a733d2e]
Ehh nah. Twitter was never particularly great but it is way way worse now. Way worse. Its not just that misgendering/progressive nonsense.
4 users liked this post: Cheers, Averon, Gameboy Nostalgia, Taco Bell Tower
Quote:The people complaining about Elon ruining Twitter were calling it an irredeemable Hellsite for years before Elon bought the place.

Exactly. lol 

In the technical side, I think the site is worse but the site user base is almost exactly in the same place, for better or worse.

Of course, this is the impression from someone that has not used it for years outside searching tweets, something that you are not allowed without log in any more.

All these dudes ever want is the cops to start doing violence to people and seizing assets without due process. All for a momentary rush about "justice" being handed out for a few seconds.

Like this lunatic mouthbreather can't even comprehend what he's calling for. He's just upset that something isn't the way he wants and he wants some heads busted and people harmed so he feels like he has some semblance of control over something that he's done nothing to earn a say in. Since I exist you should do as I say or else suffer violence.

That's really what all these people want, like Nepenthe said, they've chosen to be failures and that upsets them because they "deserve" Heaven on Earth so now everyone else needs to be controlled with no deviation so it feels like "order" has been imposed on themselves without them having to do anything. The fact that a bunch of minorities that they hate because they blame them for the lese majeste reality delivers will get hurt and everyone will suffer is just a side benefit from the illusion of control it will provide.
Twitter was always stupid. Elon musk buying it was the opportunity for everyone to consider how stupid it was that the news cycle was dominated by a stupid website filled with such bullshit. Alas, the experiment continues. What's weirder is that Twitter definitely doesn't matter as much as it did in say 2016 but it's still as there in the background as much as it ever was.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/recommend-games-to-help-improve-at-it-takes-two.938922/page-2?post=126423240#post-126423240
Quote: Cop User Banned (1 month): Trolling and dismissing concerns of misogyny.
Blu wrote:I don't know. Using "my wife" sounds like you own her and is in poor taste.

Spoiler:  (click to show)
This is what you all sound like

https://www.resetera.com/threads/recommend-games-to-help-improve-at-it-takes-two.938922/page-3?post=126433674#post-126433674
Quote: Cop User Banned (1 Month): Dismissing concerns of misogyny and hostility towards another user
Budi wrote:
scare_crow wrote:You seriously don't see anything weird about the phrase "training my wife" ESPECIALLY when it's referring to video games?
She needs practice in controlling a character in 3D environment. They are playing together and OP is trying to help her improve. It's not a perfect phrase for the context, but it's completely understandable and innocent.

And you are the weird one with your questions "does she want to?". She wanted to play the game after recommendations from her friends. She got frustrated that she couldn't play the game. OP is trying to help so she can play it. And even the road to getting there by practicing together with the person you love, is likely to be pretty fun. If not, then they don't do it. So knock it off you absolute creep.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/recommend-games-to-help-improve-at-it-takes-two.938922/page-4?post=126505149#post-126505149
Quote: Cop User banned (1 month): Dismissing concerns of misogyny
Zemoco wrote:
scare_crow wrote:You seriously don't see anything weird about the phrase "training my wife" ESPECIALLY when it's referring to video games?
Seems pedantic with the full context.
(07-30-2024, 02:27 AM)Hap Shaughnessy wrote: https://www.resetera.com/threads/israel-palestine-the-ongoing-israeli-genocide-in-gaza-icj-orders-halt-to-israeli-offensive-on-rafah-see-staff-posts-for-posting-guidelines.772478/page-372?post=126483444#post-126483444

lori wrote:I'm just thinking of how many people have caught bans for saying this state should not exist.

Quote: Cop User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory meta commentary
fine, fine, I admit the choice of words was poor and thoughtless. I'll rephrase:

Does anyone have any tips for grooming my wife to become a better gamer?

EDIT: The moderator post explaining the thread title change is pretty funny too.

Snormy wrote:Yes, I noted that but chose to over ruled it and change the title any way. I value the comfort of members, particularly minority members, casually reading the forum who might find it troubling or disturbing over the chance someone might learn a lesson in wording assuming they even bothered to find the post in which you clarified and read some of the reasonings provided by others across the thread. Beyond that, while you agreed it was poorly worded in your post the thread still had members frankly being quite dismissive of the issue. It should not fall on minority members to continuously need to educate users and explain over and over again as each person come into the thread reacting to a badly worded title and then debate over it.

Don't get me wrong. I value educating others and leaving things as a moment to learn too, but it needed a bit more. Now they can learn it if they even care to by reading through the thread to follow the context. Educating members on this issue does not require the title to continue to annoy readers.

If you disagree with the decision, you can make your case in a report for a title change. It will be looked at and decided by different moderators.

Edit. I'll add a bit more to this.
I don't think you worded it that way out of malice and I can see why some are annoyed that the discussion has somewhat derailed an otherwise wholesome thread. This isn't the type of derail Resetera moderates out. A user commented that a simple and quick title change would likely have curbed the issue before it really took off and I think there is truth to that. Ideally, everyone should be able to participate and enjoy the thread without being annoyed by poor wording.
Games as a Service
...as usual.
(07-31-2024, 05:40 PM)Boredfrom wrote:
Quote:The people complaining about Elon ruining Twitter were calling it an irredeemable Hellsite for years before Elon bought the place.

Exactly. lol 

In the technical side, I think the site is worse but the site user base is almost exactly in the same place, for better or worse.

This is a pretty big problem for Twitter, not that I care because I didn't buy it. The user base is stagnant at best, probably decreasing through normal attrition.

The blue check change not leading to a bunch of people falling for fake accounts like in the old days of Twitter tells me there aren't a lot of new users around.People used to fall for that stuff all the time before verified blue checks became widespread, and even afterwards. But experienced users are too wise to that.
Twitter was/is a good way to get info quick.

Clearly (potus) people still use it as a delivery mechanism, but using it as a "social" site is pretty trash with all the muppets on there.

One thing that musk introduced that was pretty cool was community notes. The implementation is great. BUT because it turned off so many people from wanting to contribute, it's just a bunch of stans doing notes. They create some humous notes sometimes, but it's self defeating at it's intended purpose.
Two noticeably annoying parts of new Twitter are bots and needing an account. I didn’t make an account until I needed to, but so much of the online experience is anti lurking.

The bots. Look, I appreciate my ten porno lady followers. But it’s more so the artificially inflated likes, and by extension what trends. It’s pay to win.
possible acceptable phrases on ree:
"Need help finding 2 black bulls to run a train on my wife"
"Need help choosing a training bra for my trans wife's Moobs."
(07-31-2024, 06:03 PM)DavidCroquet wrote: fine, fine, I admit the choice of words was poor and thoughtless. I'll rephrase:

EDIT: The moderator post explaining the thread title change is pretty funny too.

Snormy wrote:Yes, I noted that but chose to over ruled it and change the title any way. I value the comfort of members, particularly minority members, casually reading the forum who might find it troubling or disturbing over the chance someone might learn a lesson in wording assuming they even bothered to find the post in which you clarified and read some of the reasonings provided by others across the thread. Beyond that, while you agreed it was poorly worded in your post the thread still had members frankly being quite dismissive of the issue. It should not fall on minority members to continuously need to educate users and explain over and over again as each person come into the thread reacting to a badly worded title and then debate over it.

Don't get me wrong. I value educating others and leaving things as a moment to learn too, but it needed a bit more. Now they can learn it if they even care to by reading through the thread to follow the context. Educating members on this issue does not require the title to continue to annoy readers.

If you disagree with the decision, you can make your case in a report for a title change. It will be looked at and decided by different moderators.

I don't think you worded it that way out of malice and I can see why some are annoyed that the discussion has somewhat derailed an otherwise wholesome thread. This isn't the type of derail Resetera moderates out. A user commented that a simple and quick title change would likely have curbed the issue before it really took off and I think there is truth to that. Ideally, everyone should be able to participate and enjoy the thread without being annoyed by poor wording.
Games as a Service
...as usual.

But they’re not snowflakes no, that’s the other side. Hardcore revolutionaries here, freaking out over a benign phrasing that is accurate.
(07-31-2024, 07:06 PM)JoeBoy101 wrote:
(07-31-2024, 06:03 PM)DavidCroquet wrote: fine, fine, I admit the choice of words was poor and thoughtless. I'll rephrase:

Games as a Service
...as usual.

But they’re not snowflakes no, that’s the other side. Hardcore revolutionaries here, freaking out over a benign phrasing that is accurate.

Isn't it funny how "language is dynamic" motherfuckers also freak out the instant they don't like a specific phrasing?
(07-31-2024, 05:57 PM)Hap Shaughnessy wrote: https://www.resetera.com/threads/recommend-games-to-help-improve-at-it-takes-two.938922/page-2?post=126423240#post-126423240
Blu wrote:I don't know. Using "my wife" sounds like you own her and is in poor taste.

Spoiler:  (click to show)
This is what you all sound like

https://www.resetera.com/threads/recommend-games-to-help-improve-at-it-takes-two.938922/page-3?post=126433674#post-126433674
Quote: Cop User Banned (1 Month): Dismissing concerns of misogyny and hostility towards another user
Budi wrote:
She needs practice in controlling a character in 3D environment. They are playing together and OP is trying to help her improve. It's not a perfect phrase for the context, but it's completely understandable and innocent.

And you are the weird one with your questions "does she want to?". She wanted to play the game after recommendations from her friends. She got frustrated that she couldn't play the game. OP is trying to help so she can play it. And even the road to getting there by practicing together with the person you love, is likely to be pretty fun. If not, then they don't do it. So knock it off you absolute creep.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/recommend-games-to-help-improve-at-it-takes-two.938922/page-4?post=126505149#post-126505149
Quote: Cop User banned (1 month): Dismissing concerns of misogyny
Zemoco wrote:
Seems pedantic with the full context.

Wait, why did Budi get banned?  I get calling the person a creep but dismissing misogyny?
2 users liked this post: HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth, Gameboy Nostalgia
(07-31-2024, 05:57 PM)Hap Shaughnessy wrote: https://www.resetera.com/threads/recommend-games-to-help-improve-at-it-takes-two.938922/page-2?post=126423240#post-126423240

Longer bans than you get for excusing Hamas massacres and rapes >_>
(07-31-2024, 07:10 PM)HaughtyFrank wrote: Isn't it pathetic how "language is dynamic" motherfuckers also freak out the instant they don't like a specific phrasing?

ftfy
Why would B-dubs lock another Palestine thread? SIGH.. it's, I don't know because I can't even right now.. but it's like he wants to keep all the voices in a containment thread instead of letting them have actual conversations.  Gloomy
https://www.resetera.com/threads/israel-palestine-the-ongoing-israeli-genocide-in-gaza-icj-orders-halt-to-israeli-offensive-on-rafah-see-staff-posts-for-posting-guidelines.772478/page-373?post=126561420#post-126561420

Grudy wrote:Also another thread locked. I'm very surprised.

It's hard not to see the pattern here. Any discussion of the Palestinian position outside of this thread ends up being locked because god forbid we actually have space to discuss a very complex topic, and a topic where most people are heavily uneducated on and unprepared to discuss with any nuance. Yet again and again, we're just a derailment and it's easier to lock our voices here in this thread.

Again, it's not hard to see why most of the palestinians have left or were banned, and the blame lies solely with the mods and the admin. The current forum policies quickly crumble when faced with the kind of position where majority are conflicted and cannot reconcile on how to feel about this issue or its history.
I’m just so relieved they changed the thread title.

What if someone new joined the forum and, seeing the original thread title, mistakenly assumed that posters at Era are constantly training their wives like show ponies?