Journal of Other Forum Analysis
A credentialed team of scholars investigate an elaborate social experiment
noodlesoup wrote:Two university officials as well as a cop threatened us with arrests if we didn't take down our tents + any signage we had displayed at 7 in the morning. Those who stayed overnight had to comply since they didn't have the numbers to resist (which was expected given the size of our school).

Curious to see if we're going to remobilize or not; the university seems adamant about shutting us down without first listening to our demands, but we simply do not have the numbers to pressure them otherwise.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/protests-at-columbia-university-continue-as-groups-on-both-sides-of-the-aisle-call-for-action-to-be-taken-university-shifts-to-hybrid-classes.851787/page-15?post=122348418#post-122348418

omfg
(05-01-2024, 12:55 PM)kaleidoscopium wrote:
noodlesoup wrote:Two university officials as well as a cop threatened us with arrests if we didn't take down our tents + any signage we had displayed at 7 in the morning. Those who stayed overnight had to comply since they didn't have the numbers to resist (which was expected given the size of our school).

Curious to see if we're going to remobilize or not; the university seems adamant about shutting us down without first listening to our demands, but we simply do not have the numbers to pressure them otherwise.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/protests-at-columbia-university-continue-as-groups-on-both-sides-of-the-aisle-call-for-action-to-be-taken-university-shifts-to-hybrid-classes.851787/page-15?post=122348418#post-122348418

omfg

Quote:Two university officials as well as a cop threatened us with arrests if we didn't take down our tents + any signage we had displayed at 7 in the morning. Those who stayed overnight had to comply since they didn't have the numbers to resist

You couldn't resist against three people?   lol
https://www.resetera.com/threads/deepest-blue-hole-in-the-world-discovered-with-hidden-caves-and-tunnels-believed-to-be-inside.858489/post-122341479

Quote:An hour down there could fix me.

Confused
(05-01-2024, 12:59 PM)HaughtyFrank wrote:

omfg

Quote:Two university officials as well as a cop threatened us with arrests if we didn't take down our tents + any signage we had displayed at 7 in the morning. Those who stayed overnight had to comply since they didn't have the numbers to resist

You couldn't resist against three people?   lol

[Image: XPQhdd4.gif]
https://www.resetera.com/threads/deepest-blue-hole-in-the-world-discovered-with-hidden-caves-and-tunnels-believed-to-be-inside.858489/post-122341509

Quote:I fear for the divers who will explore it. Sounds like another death trap.
Quote:No kidding. submarine caving is super fucking dangerous. One wrong move, and if you are deep enough down there and cause a silt out, then you are pretty much dead. No way to find your way back before you run out of air.
I don't think this is a job for humans. Small robots are made for this job. Maybe the tech isn't quite there yet, but I think it's better to wait for it to catch up then to let people throw their lives away to get blurry picture of underwater caves.

Quote:I agree, but people will be drawn by the claim. Hundreds and hundreds of divers have perished in blue holes. The lure of the unknown will draw them here too, now.

A deep water, unexplored cave system is the deadliest environment in the world.

Again...
[Image: XPQhdd4.gif]
I mean, I'm not going in there but I'm not going to tell others they shouldnt.
(05-01-2024, 07:40 AM)benji wrote: I love the delusion that one of the most elite universities in the country is "not going to recover" from something this minor.

Especially when it's one with this in its famous well known history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_Columbia_University_protests
A war against white adjacent CHUDs (who didn't do Communism correctly) can't compare to an ongoing genocide

(05-01-2024, 11:57 AM)killamajig wrote: https://www.resetera.com/threads/thr-lgbtq-characters-are-dropping-across-broadcast-cable-and-streaming-networks-glaad.857586/post-122338656

Neppy
Quote:The inevitable truth of trying to make art within a fundamentally bigoted economic system is that your artistic interests are always going to be shackled to the whims of those who actually hold the power. Colonial capitalism is the bedrock with which the culture is forced to exist in, and thus it is the standard by which decidedly progressive and transgressive works must be in conflict with. If you can manage it, then sure, get your television deal. But we should also be finding alternative avenues with which to continue being creative without sacrificing our identity and integrity: self-publishing, crowdfunded works, community jams, etc.

Does Nep use some AI chat thing to write her posts? Who talks like this? (other than Benji)
You ever seen the two of them together in the same room?

Rollsafe
(05-01-2024, 12:33 PM)Polident wrote:
(05-01-2024, 11:57 AM)killamajig wrote: https://www.resetera.com/threads/thr-lgbtq-characters-are-dropping-across-broadcast-cable-and-streaming-networks-glaad.857586/post-122338656

Article has links to previous years findings. The 2022 study was considered a record for gays on TV. In 2023 gays of color were up. So, do they they expect exponential growth? Yet the article explicitly states part of the drop were from shows ending or cancellations and the lesser amount of broadcast scripted shows. Even if you only read the first two paragraphs, it talks about the actor and writers strikes and mass layoffs. Still, what a fun job that must be. Sit around and watch TV. Do a little tally every time a character comes off zesty.

Capitalism requires exponential growth, CHUD
The columbia topic is getting spicy! Some fuckers are saying its bidens fault these protests, calling people jackasses and the like. Let them fight. lol

I have no idea what Biden is supposed to do though. These assholes werent voting for him anyway, they just want presidential approval and he aint gonna do that.
(05-01-2024, 12:00 PM)killamajig wrote: https://www.resetera.com/threads/thr-lgbtq-characters-are-dropping-across-broadcast-cable-and-streaming-networks-glaad.857586/post-122342181

Twohearts
Quote:I just wish conservatives weren't the only people with any real power in the world. I'm queer as fuck and I just want to see stories abou tpeople like me and for people like me and for kids to know it's ok to be people like me. endlessly sad and frustrating

Good luck

They already did, it was called Ace Ventura Pet Detective  I get no respect!
(To put it into terms Ree can understand) Resetera is going to battle like King Kong vs. Godzilla this election!!!

The Sickos will feast the closer it gets.

Sickos
It's interesting how all the male to female trans people on Era tend to be massive(in more ways than one I'd imagine) lesbians.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/footyera-23-24-season-ot-the-saudi-development-leagues.749860/page-454?post=122344446#post-122344446

Raging Lesbian Uzzy wrote:My girlfriend has no idea who Haaland is and had to ask me who the fuck showed up in her game.

[Image: IMG_4209.png?ex=663362b7&is=66321137&hm=...9f1a9280c&]

She's about to learn just how annoying he is.
Whenever protesters start freaking out, fighting back, crying, screaming when the cops start loading them into vans, I’m like you all completely missed the point. 

Nobody except for the people you inconvenience care that you are out there chanting and doing whatever it is you’re doing. But we all pay attention when your protest gets broken up, and to me it just looks like a bunch of unruly children having some kind of mass temper tantrum. 

Have some class. Put your hands behind your back and go to jail proudly and peacefully. That should be rule number one on their dumb community guidelines. “Obey the police.” Look to MLK, Rosa Parks, Ghandi, or maybe you shouldn’t have skipped the class where you were to read On the Duty of Civil Disobedience. Act like adults for fucks sake.
They're now in full believe that only social media tells the real story. But of course only the one that's on their side. Ignore the right-wing guys talking about a Jewish girl getting knocked out
https://www.resetera.com/threads/linkin-park-considering-2025-reunion-tour-with-new-female-vocalist.858615/

Bunch of chuds in there using the word female. Where are the bans?

Females
(05-01-2024, 06:52 AM)PogiJones wrote:
(05-01-2024, 06:23 AM)Hap Shaughnessy wrote: https://www.resetera.com/threads/i-want-to-move-to-the-uk.858483/

TERF BITCH

Quote:I should maybe say for context, my disability is extremely poor eyesight that makes me unable to drive, or see very far at all. And I've been told it will likely worsen with age.

Spoiler:  (click to show)
What is this?
Is there a single trans man on ResetEra?
(05-01-2024, 04:15 PM)Jonsey wrote: Is there a single trans man on ResetEra?

Why would natal women give a fuck about obsessive videogame bullshit?

How many trans men are in positions of influence in games journalism?
(05-01-2024, 04:15 PM)Jonsey wrote: Is there a single trans man on ResetEra?

well there's plenty of single men who are trans
They have relaunched the Constructive thread. It remains members-only.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/constructive-community-discussion.859116/
AliceAmber wrote:We decided it was time to update to a brand new CCD. This thread will likely be re-launched annually. Here is a reminder on the rules and topics of discussion.

• If this thread is going to be useful to anyone, it has to be constructive. We absolutely want to hear about issues with moderation and/or the community, but that has to be conducive to an actual discussion. Coming in here to simply throw fuel on the fire and attack people is not going to fly. Full stop. We want this to work and we will enforce this to make it work.
• This thread is NOT to re-litigate specific bans, or to call out specific members or moderators. We are talking about the community as a whole here, we are not going to get bogged down with "why was X banned" derails. Making this about individuals is not going to help. Any user(s) brigading for or against an individual will receive at least a threadban from this thread. To litigate a ban (preferably your own) please submit a ticket here
• Keep in mind we're just trying to keep up with hundreds of reports each day. We react, we don't prescribe.
• This should not be a matter of "Us vs. Them". Staff knows very well the part they have to play in making this a better community. Almost every staff member came from an established segment of this larger community, and we all did so because we want to make the site better than it is. But we can't do that if brigades are bent on treating staff as the enemy or as bad people. We do our best to communicate to members with respect, but members also have a role to play in that.

So with that out of the way, do you have any ideas on how the forum can be improved? Feel free to suggest fun ideas too. The world is terrible, we'd like this corner of the internet to be a fun & safe space.

As a reminder, this was the post at the start of the old Constructive thread:
B-Dubs wrote:All right here we go.

We're working on longer explanations of some mod processes that people have asked about, but we're hoping that these initial guidelines can help make this a discussion that can actually make this a better place for everyone.

Keep in mind:
If this thread is going to be useful to anyone, it has to be constructive. We absolutely want to hear about issues with moderation and/or the community, but that has to be conducive to an actual discussion. Coming in here to simply throw fuel on the fire and attack people is not going to fly. Full stop. We want this to work and we will enforce this to make it work.
This thread is NOT to relitigate specific bans, or to call out specific members or moderators. We are talking about the community as a whole here, we are not going to get bogged down with "why was X banned" derails. Making this about individuals is not going to help. Any user(s) brigading for or against an individual will receive at least a threadban from this thread. If you have an issue regarding an individual member or moderator or a specific ban, bring it up to one of the Mod Captains (JayC3, , aerie, Nepenthe, Poodlestrike) via PM. submit a ticket here.
On the staff end we're constantly trying to improve while putting out a dozen fires every day. Things have been especially hectic the past few months, and that's probably a reflection of the state of the world. The point is that a lot of people think that we're trying to impose our will on the community with our moderation when really we're just trying to keep up with hundreds of reports each day. We react, we don't prescribe.
This should not be a matter of "Us vs. Them". Staff know very well the part they have to play in making this a better community. Almost every staff member came from an established segment of this larger community, and we all did so because we want to make the site better than it is. But we can't do that if brigades are bent on treating staff as the enemy or as bad people. We do our best to communicate to members with respect, but members also have a role to play in that.
Some topics for consideration:
The world sucks. We're all pissed off. We're not asking anyone to not be angry. We do think it should be possible to have a discussion about a given topic without suddenly making it spiral into personal attacks on each other. If someone is being an asshole, report it. It slows things down for the staff if there's a long back and forth and we have to read the whole thread to get the context, and it can be doubly complicated if someone who replies is baited into clearly breaking rules themselves.
What do you want this site to be? How do YOU think it's best to handle things like the wide variety of intersectional members, backgrounds, and perspectives that exist here? Many subjects will not have a black-or-white correct "side." To raise a recent example (and no this isn't an invitation to fight over it here), there was a dispute between members about Obama being a role model or a war criminal. People have strong opinions on these things. For our part, we've simply tried to keep the hostility to a minimum rather than "choosing a side" when we moderate such cases.

There are no other posts in the new thread. I don't know what the new thread accomplishes. But it exists, and the OG thread has been locked. I also have no idea why it took them so long to do this epic relaunch.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/why-women-criticise-sexualised-character-designs-ot3-make-her-look-more-corpulent-more-stuffed-where-the-eyes-cant-escape.275780/page-385?post=122362404#post-122362404

plagiarize, post: 122362404, member: 1940 wrote:Heya. I'm going to speak a tiny bit about being a mod, but just to make it clear it's not going to be about mod decisions or anything like that. I'm not here being all official or anything.

What always makes me go 'oh no,' when I see one of these *frankly* embarrassing games, is when it's published by one of the platform holders. Like, Stellar Blade's character designs are laughable, and I feel ashamed to be the same species as the people I see defending them, but also I've seen far worse. There's still far worse being made.

But throw in the whole 'platform exclusive' thing... and fucking hell. Moderating discussion around games like Stellar Blade (and Xenoblade Chronicles 2) is some of the most exhausting and depressing stuff. You have people genuinely concerned about these things, like most of you here. But then you've got people that would defend anything their favored platform holder does, and people who will criticize anything the 'enemy' platform holder does. Add those to the mix and now you've got multiple kinds of bad faith posters on top of the misogynistic ones.

It's really really depressing. Like, 'oh god, am I going to have to talk to my therapist about people fighting over Stellar Blade on a game forum?' levels of depressing.

So I sort of get the 'eh whatever' reaction from some quarters, because Stellar Blade's content is... well there's much worse, and if it wasn't an exclusive it wouldn't have attracted a fraction of the firestorm even if it was doing the same number of sales. But... even if its just an example of the kind of shit that we should really really really have left behind already, it's still a valid example, and the exact sort of thing I'd expect to see discussions around here.

Heck, I know that the thread reply banner specifically asks people to use examples, and Stellar Blade is absolutely that. But goodness me am I going to be very very happy to see the reports on it die down.

omfg
(05-01-2024, 07:44 AM)benji wrote: Oh no, non-academics who don't do any academic work are going to boycott!

I'd be gutted if the transgender dom lucre didn't want to work with me too tbh Heh, its just a shame that the worlds so retarded now that there will be people there sad about it.
(05-01-2024, 07:09 AM)Boredfrom wrote: So I finished Stellar Blade. Solid 8. The gameplay was top notch but the story was… Mike 

It was not terrible but legit was making me laugh by the end, is clear that the good writers of shift up are at Nikke (seriously, compare Tachy death here with what happens in the first chapter/tutorial of Nikke). There is the seed of a good idea and narrative there but, more than trying to be Nier, it tries to do the same plot points of Nier and Nier Automata without knowing how to get there; they just spam sad music and they think is good enough to feel sad and reflect about the death of a robo maid that we met 5 minutes ago (but, to be fair, the soundtrack is top notch).

But, more relevant to this thread, I got the gut feeling on why suddenly Princess Bubblegum felt the need to play it

Eve and Lily have more chemistry with each other than anyone in the game, and you can totally see yuri fans shipping them together, the good ending depends on raising affinity with Lily. And regardless of the ending, Adam dies.

But, regardless, I think a lot of progressives still gonna to be piss off given that:

The good ending depends of accepting Adam, revealed to be the elder monster all along, offer to “fusion” with him in an incredibly (and hilariously unintentional) creepy scene that will make you think that accepting the offer is the wrong option. Dude is shirtless and saying: “I didn’t mean killing those people, my ex is crazy.”

Maybe is a not so subtle commentary about gender relations on Korea, but I just think was half cooked. 

Fun game, Eve is hot and I hope they get better writers if they get to make a sequel.

TL;DR: PB is playing because there is potential lesbians. But she needs to get past a creepy shirtless guy that offers you friendship. Is a Nier fanfic, but a very good game otherwise.

Yeah, Kyuuji stated the potential lesbians which is why PB suddenly decided to rent it from Game Fly.

omfg

Quote:From Chicago, IL
Did he really flew to NY to protest?
3 users liked this post: LoverOfCycles, Gameboy Nostalgia, kaleidoscopium
https://www.resetera.com/threads/daniel-ahmad-zhugeex-final-fantasy-7-rebirth-is-underperforming-sales-wise-selling-about-half-of-what-remake-sold-in-the-same-timeframe.843192/page-66?post=122343228#post-122343228
Quote:FF7 is essentially an irrelevant brand to the public at this point or if they have heard of it they heard those games are shit from a friend.

The fans of Rebirth, myself included, now just sound like lunatics and Snyder bros desperately asking you to buy 7 copies for the 7.

It's never been more over.
Zack Snyder's Sickos (Batman edition)
Actually, no.  We did had some hardcore FF7 fan cry that Rebirth wasn't being a success and to keep buying copies to support it on Ree
https://www.resetera.com/threads/can-we-realistically-make-rebirth-more-of-a-success.843993/
isnt there roughly half of the ps5's in the world than there was ps4's when ff7 remake came out? thats probably being generous.

as long as it scales well i imagine it will do very well on steam when it comes out there.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/jurassic-world-chaos-theory-official-trailer-netflix-after-school-may-24.857784/?post=122344695#post-122344695

Twohearts wrote:*pronated hands*
THe dinosaur lover in my brain won't accept this so I Have no reason to bother watching it
(05-01-2024, 06:07 PM)Puffy Fucking Baby wrote: isnt there roughly half of the ps5's in the world than there was ps4's when ff7 remake came out? thats probably being generous.

as long as it scales well i imagine it will do very well on steam when it comes out there.

It's also more expensive than Remake was and people aren't getting easy work from home jobs like 2020 anymore. Steam might not like the game at first because it's a late port and Square will totally dump it on there for the full $70 again.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/daniel-ahmad-zhugeex-final-fantasy-7-rebirth-is-underperforming-sales-wise-selling-about-half-of-what-remake-sold-in-the-same-timeframe.843192/page-67?post=122346717#post-122346717
Quote:People knew Rebirth was inevitable before they even knew that 16 existed. This makes absolutely no sense; why would someone quit the franchise forever just because this one game (technically in a different series of games of sorts from the FF7 remake titles) plays differently?

Hell, XV doesn't even play *that* much differently from XVI

If people lapsed after XV and Remake from Rebirth specifically, it sure as hell wasn't because of XVI
Quote:Yeah, you literally had the entire JRPG community declaring that XVI was just going to be a one time detour from a cocky MMO director that didn't stay in his lane, and they were going to turn out in droves for Rebirth to crush XVI in order to show SE the true way forward, to the level where they'd send a clear message to never let CBU3 touch a single player mainline ever again and for developers for the genre as a whole to stop abandoning turn based. There were absolutely a lot of people salivating at the thought of this inevitable victory for months prior to Rebirth's release, on this forum and the Reddit communities.

And then that didn't happen the way they thought it would, so now we're watching fans of an entire genre melting down over their expectations crashing into harsh reality, now at the stage of trying to project this outcome onto the rest of the industry, as if Rebirth's performance is somehow everyone else's fault and a sign of a dying industry. Turns out the passion for a AAA JRPG ass JRPG wasn't enough to overcome the numerous (unique combination of) factors pushing away everyone else, from the confused marketing over it being a remake or not along with all the multimedia baggage on top of that, people who fell off after Remake, and people who did enjoy Remake not willing to spend $600 to buy a PS5 just to play Rebirth if they didn't have one already.
[Image: 5c7.png]
https://www.resetera.com/threads/protests-at-columbia-university-continue-as-groups-on-both-sides-of-the-aisle-call-for-action-to-be-taken-university-shifts-to-hybrid-classes.851787/page-17?post=122363142#post-122363142
Words of Radiance wrote:I don't know how I would react if I were blocked from going to classes…

https://www.resetera.com/threads/protests-at-columbia-university-continue-as-groups-on-both-sides-of-the-aisle-call-for-action-to-be-taken-university-shifts-to-hybrid-classes.851787/page-17?post=122365479#post-122365479
Quote: Cop User Threadbanned: Trolling in a sensitive thread
Words of Radiance wrote:
rsfour wrote:Are these ethics, or history classes? Maybe media.
Classes that cost a lot of money, that's for sure.

noodlesoup wrote:Found the person who is more concerned about being temporarily inconvenienced than an ongoing genocide that is being funded by our tax/tuition dollars.
And you think inconveniencing a bunch of nobodies like us will drive any meaningful change?
(05-01-2024, 06:07 PM)Puffy Fucking Baby wrote: isnt there roughly half of the ps5's in the world than there was ps4's when ff7 remake came out? thats probably being generous.

A lot of people buying the first part probably can't be bothered getting future parts either. One of the cons with a story playing over multiple games.

Neppy
Quote:The inevitable truth of trying to make art within a fundamentally bigoted economic system is that your artistic interests are always going to be shackled to the whims of those who actually hold the power. Colonial capitalism is the bedrock with which the culture is forced to exist in, and thus it is the standard by which decidedly progressive and transgressive works must be in conflict with. If you can manage it, then sure, get your television deal. But we should also be finding alternative avenues with which to continue being creative without sacrificing our identity and integrity: self-publishing, crowdfunded works, community jams, etc.

Does Nep use some AI chat thing to write her posts? Who talks like this? (other than Benji)

That's an awfully convoluted way to say "Nobody wants to buy my shitty art, and its everyone's fault but mine"