Journal of Other Forum Analysis
A credentialed team of scholars investigate an elaborate social experiment
It's like John Waters never made Pecker
ah yes of course, art doesn't fit within the capitalist framework. it's all about people giving you money for a thing they want and then if you are shown to be really good you can corner the market and make more money. nothing like capitalism.
(01-24-2024, 08:48 PM)Boredfrom wrote:
Nepenthe wrote:Oh, things are fucking horrible right now lol.

People have this inflated sense of knowledge and importance when it comes to art because they think art is truly, wholly, 100% subjective, that merely having tastes, ideas, and aspirations means that their input on any given art subject is just as weighted to the people who actually, you know, make art. And the moment you as an artist push back that, no, that's not actually how any of this works, people get really offended. People legitimately don't think we know what the fuck we're talking about, or that we do not deserve to have control over the conversation.

Indeed, there's this thing I've dealt with and witnessed my entire life making art where you straddle the weird line of being simultaneously mocked and envied in the same breadth. You're the idiot for getting a useless art degree and having to work a second job to make ends meet, but at the same time you make how much from commissions? Who the fuck do you think you are charging that much for this shit? Art is so ridiculously difficult that you need some mystical art talent or the right genes to be able to do it by hand, but also a black square sold for $300 million in a museum auction? I could do that; what makes them so special?!

As I said earlier, the realities of being an artist just do not fundamentally fit within a neoliberal capitalist framework. The actual quality of the stuff you make yourself is truly as meritocratic as can be. There's no buying out the competition. There's no brown-nosing your way to the top. Your work is your own. Subsequently, there's no bullshit when people come to you with cash to make them stuff, and that makes people really fucking mad when it works out well for you. The process of making art is also as important as the end product itself for the artist, but the process itself cannot actually be commodified, packaged up, and sold. So people react with confusion and defensiveness when you tell them that trying to do away with that process with something like AI is not appealing at all. They don't make art, or worse- they've tried before and found out they literally hate doing it- and so they assume we similarly think our work is grueling.

I also think the envy thing is real too; in a world built on conformity to standards and adherence to the hierarchy, being able to just sit down, take your time, and get out a cool or unique idea that represents who you truly are out of your head and onto the page, to communicate freely in such an abstract way, really makes people feel some type of way (what they don't know is that we just practiced, and they can practice too!) The thought that we can get paid to be creative is further unacceptable, and some folks feel the need to try and snatch that autonomy away and put us in our place. Not my fault you chose a white collar job, tho.

But people have always acted like this. Historically making art has never been free of turmoil and undue judgement, but AI, and in general this "alternative facts" world we're living in, has definitely turbocharged the conversation about what it means to be an artist in a negative way, and now we're left having to entertain people who have made it clear they know fuck all about making art and yet they are still going to force their way into the community anyway. People who cannot draw a box in perspective want to be seen as just as talented as concept artists with 30 years of experience. People legit want to be given clout for putting in no effort and being ignorant, instead of working on something they are passionate about and growing as a person. It's unreal.

I love this. It tells me a lot about her.

Nep, real talk, if you want to be respected, pull the time in cultivating your talent rather than bitch about video games and fandoms in the Internet. You said this hours ago:

Nepenthe wrote:Got some animating to do before work lol.

You aren't doing either.
Quote:Art is so ridiculously difficult that you need some mystical art talent or the right genes to be able to do it by hand
What
(01-24-2024, 09:15 PM)Gameboy Nostalgia wrote: Wonder how much of those new Palworld purchases are from people who had no clue it existed until the whiners started crying about it. Hogwarts all over again.
Ree should be happy for Palworld's sales.  It could easily overthrow the Wizard Game and end that TERF BITCH JOANNE'S trans genocide.
(01-24-2024, 07:42 PM)nachobro wrote: Since its founding in late 2017, ResetEra has been an inviting bonfire at the crossroads of weirdo multigender commies and entertainment corpo worship. Our goal is to provide a modern platform where Nintenyearolds, Sony Ponies, Xbots and reactionary idiots alike will want to talk about all kinds of video games -- and never stop fucking complaining.

FTFY
3 users liked this post: D3RANG3D, Gameboy Nostalgia, Taco Bell Tower
[Image: bcb49508-33de-11ec-a581-90b85644888b_1635590758534.jpg]

gardfish wrote:brb gonna post this in the sales thread and say it's a leaked image of a new pal

Wonder when the mods will have to come down on all this cross thread drama... oh wait an admin is involved in it lol 

https://www.resetera.com/threads/vgc-palworld-embroiled-in-ai-and-pok%C3%A9mon-%E2%80%98plagiarism%E2%80%99-controversy.807630/page-88?post=118089426#post-118089426
(01-24-2024, 09:17 PM)Taco Bell Tower wrote: https://www.resetera.com/threads/palworld-has-sold-over-7-million-copies-in-5-days-reaches-2-million-concurrent-players-xbox-version-surpasses-fortnite-in-engagement-on-jan-22rd.807207/page-67?post=118054707#post-118054707
Quote:Fuck, 7 millions in 5 days.

It's selling better than a Sony AAA exclusive, this is insane. It very likely already about to outdo Spider-Man 2 entire current lifetime sales, Sony's 'fastest-selling' first-party game ever (who took 11 days to cross the 5m mark).

Sony execs really need to drive the truck of money personally from some Japanese bank straight unto these guys houses.

As crazy as it is - no marketing budget or prior lengthy event showcases - it might indeed hit 10m sales with its first week
literally shaking

Sony Pony gonna pony
(01-24-2024, 09:24 PM)Potato wrote:
(01-24-2024, 09:17 PM)Taco Bell Tower wrote: https://www.resetera.com/threads/palworld-has-sold-over-7-million-copies-in-5-days-reaches-2-million-concurrent-players-xbox-version-surpasses-fortnite-in-engagement-on-jan-22rd.807207/page-67?post=118054707#post-118054707
Quote:Fuck, 7 millions in 5 days.

It's selling better than a Sony AAA exclusive, this is insane. It very likely already about to outdo Spider-Man 2 entire current lifetime sales, Sony's 'fastest-selling' first-party game ever (who took 11 days to cross the 5m mark).

Sony execs really need to drive the truck of money personally from some Japanese bank straight unto these guys houses.

As crazy as it is - no marketing budget or prior lengthy event showcases - it might indeed hit 10m sales with its first week
literally shaking

Sony Pony gonna pony

That sounded more like gloating than bitching, given how excited is for the game. Yeshrug
(01-24-2024, 09:21 PM)Boredfrom wrote:
(01-24-2024, 07:42 PM)nachobro wrote: Since its founding in late 2017, ResetEra has been an inviting bonfire at the crossroads of weirdo multigender commies and entertainment corpo worship. Our goal is to provide a modern platform where Nintenyearolds, Sony Ponies, Xbots and reactionary idiots alike will want to talk about all kinds of video games -- and never stop fucking complaining.

FTFY

The Nintendo autists and Xbox retards all left. The sperging is almost exclusively from Sony Ponies these days.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/palworld-has-sold-over-7-million-copies-in-5-days-reaches-2-million-concurrent-players-xbox-version-surpasses-fortnite-in-engagement-on-jan-22rd.807207/page-82?post=118088163#post-118088163
ClickyCal'
Quote:If it breaks 25 million, there may be a fair discussion to ask if Gamefreak will take any notice.
well it also costs less than half of spiderman 2 lol (or zero extra dollars on xbox)
(01-24-2024, 09:26 PM)Potato wrote:
(01-24-2024, 09:21 PM)Boredfrom wrote:

FTFY

The Nintendo autists and Xbox retards all left. The sperging is almost exclusively from Sony Ponies these days.

Come on dude, you know they didn’t. There is a whole thread showing that.
(01-24-2024, 09:26 PM)Taco Bell Tower wrote: https://www.resetera.com/threads/palworld-has-sold-over-7-million-copies-in-5-days-reaches-2-million-concurrent-players-xbox-version-surpasses-fortnite-in-engagement-on-jan-22rd.807207/page-82?post=118088163#post-118088163
ClickyCal'
Quote:If it breaks 25 million, there may be a fair discussion to ask if Gamefreak will take any notice.

If you guys think the drama is over the top now, just wait to see what happens if this outsells a Pokemon game.
Zack Snyder's Sickos (Batman edition)
(01-24-2024, 09:28 PM)Boredfrom wrote:
(01-24-2024, 09:26 PM)Potato wrote:
(01-24-2024, 09:21 PM)Boredfrom wrote: FTFY

Come on dude, you know they didn’t. There is a whole thread showing that.

Even the biggest retard in the world would not believe that the majority of the gaming side Reeee behaviour comes from anyone but PlayStation morons. 

The core Nintendo aspys moved, just like the core Xbots.

The only reason this is such a big deal on Resetera is that Nepenthe and the other failed artists have jumped on the bandwagon. If it was just the nintendards, they would have been shut down ages ago because PlayStation is not affected outside of Xbox having a console-exclusive hit game.
Let you Nintendo past die. Kill it if you have to.
I like how Nepenthe and the rest are breaking out all these rants about the meritocracy of art and how "non-artists" are trying to invade the "community" and neoliberal capitalist whatever and the importance of copyright and upholding the spiritual process of art creation for the purposes of... being angry that someone ripped off Pokemon? And that capital-G Gamers don't care enough?

I literally do not know what this hundred of pages of outrage is even supposed to be about. It's just a tantrum that something is popular.
But when a university president is held to the same standard as her students it's actually racism.
I like how Gamergate and the rest are breaking out all these rants about the ethics of game journalism and how "SJW" are trying to invade the "community".
(01-24-2024, 09:44 PM)benji wrote: I like how Nepenthe and the rest are breaking out all these rants about the meritocracy of art and how "non-artists" are trying to invade the "community" and neoliberal capitalist whatever and the importance of copyright and upholding the spiritual process of art creation for the purposes of... being angry that someone ripped off Pokemon? And that capital-G Gamers don't care enough?

I literally do not know what this hundred of pages of outrage is even supposed to be about. It's just a tantrum that something is popular.

well now that the game isn't AI, or directly stealing assets, or have crypto, or nfts, or microtransactions like they've been claiming there's nothing left to bitch about. but these people have a burning need to BE RIGHT (and there's definitely nintendies that are way too attached to pokemon involved too) so its just staying open while they whine at each other in circles.

also an admin is involved, otherwise it'd be done for sure.
nothing goes together better than nintendies victim complex and some blowhard admin that will join the pity party
Anyone who disagrees with Nep's stance should be banned. The collective Pal nation need to understand that being a Mod = Never Wrong.
4 users liked this post: HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth, benji, Taco Bell Tower, Potato
https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-winner-of-a-prestigious-japanese-literary-award-has-confirmed-ai-helped-write-her-book.808998/?post=118090356#post-118090356

Quote:"I plan to continue to profit from the use of AI in the writing of my novels, while letting my creativity express itself to the fullest," said the 33-year-old, who was awarded the Akutagawa Prize for the best work of fiction by a promising new writer on Wednesday.

Thank you for your service!

Nep and Crossing Eden: STOP
(01-24-2024, 09:44 PM)benji wrote: I like how Nepenthe and the rest are breaking out all these rants about the meritocracy of art and how "non-artists" are trying to invade the "community" and neoliberal capitalist whatever and the importance of copyright and upholding the spiritual process of art creation for the purposes of... being angry that someone ripped off Pokemon? And that capital-G Gamers don't care enough?

Is partially the Nintendo branding of being “special” over their competitors. Many assholes use Nintendo characters and franchises for their identity, and Pokemon is probably the most mainstream franchise that Nintendo has (in the sense of seeing normal ass adults playing Pokemon Go), even more than Mario in some senses. 

So out of nowhere another monster catching franchise gets big and the “special” brand is threatened and the status quo is also changed.

That’s why some are comparing it to Gamergate, because is a contradictory need to be Special yet Normal because they like something (big difference is that in Gamergate both factions wanted that while here there is just one group that cares this much it).
3 users liked this post: Gameboy Nostalgia, D3RANG3D, Taco Bell Tower
(01-24-2024, 10:06 PM)Averon wrote: https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-winner-of-a-prestigious-japanese-literary-award-has-confirmed-ai-helped-write-her-book.808998/?post=118090356#post-118090356

Quote:"I plan to continue to profit from the use of AI in the writing of my novels, while letting my creativity express itself to the fullest," said the 33-year-old, who was awarded the Akutagawa Prize for the best work of fiction by a promising new writer on Wednesday.

Thank you for your service!

Nep and Crossing Eden: STOP

Quote:The author then confirmed at a press conference that around 5% of her book "The Tokyo Tower of Sympathy" — which was lauded by committee members as "practically flawless" — was word-for-word generated by AI.

Writer and prize committee member Keiichiro Hirano took to X, the social media company formerly known as Twitter, to say the selection committee did not see Kudan's use of AI as a problem.

"It seems that the story that Rie Kudan's award-winning work was written using generative AI is misunderstood… If you read it, you will see that the generative AI was mentioned in the work," he wrote. "There will be problems with that kind of usage in the future, but that is not the case with 'Tokyo Sympathy Tower.'"

Rage I don't Rage I don't

I think I get it. But I also think there is ground for some objections. But doesn’t sound that different from using photos or other documents (but it also have their own can of worms).

Quote:The novel centers around the dilemmas of an architect tasked with building a comfortable high-rise prison in Tokyo where law breakers are rehabilitated, and features AI as a theme.

Kudan said that, in her own life, she would consult ChatGPT about problems she felt she couldn’t tell anyone. “When the AI did not say what I expected,” she said, “I sometimes reflected my feelings in the lines of the main character.”

I mean, is part of the theme of the Novel and I suppose she made clear those passages are AI generated.

Quote:But while some on social media expressed interest in Kudan’s creative use of AI and said they were now more interested in her work, others called it “disrespectful” to other authors who wrote without the help of the technology.

But I also agree with this. It sounds interesting but also tacky.
Kinda funny but this loops back to Pocketpair and the Resetti complaints about them "making a game that used AI art". when the entire purpose of the game is to spot AI art that doesn't fit correctly (its essentially among us with one imposter that gets AI prompts but not the "theme" of the art that is supposed to be made) . Just being mad at "AI" without context
diakyu wrote:I think the worst part is seeing people I respected take the stance that palworld can rip them off because Pokémon "doesn't have the rights to basic animal shapes" or some other manner of nonsense.

I mean these people are blinded by their dislike of Pokémon or game freak or Nintendo or maybe all three. They've literally become the kind of people they used to call blind fanboys. Is that unfair to say? It feels very real to me. Obviously not everyone but it's the only explanation I'm seeing for some unless plagiarism is a massive blind spot in their knowledge. Just wild stuff to see, and pretty demoralizing that you can just be wrong and people will take your side purely because you're the opposition to something they dislike.

But that's just how the world works, fuck me.
Rolleyes lol Rolleyes lol

SassaBassa wrote:Tribalism is a helluva drug

Most people seem content with playing the game.
Wasn’t Nep fighting to revert the world back to a society of tribal savages? Oh that’s right, she’s a fucking psycho.
Lthammy wrote:Isn't this dude also just a big ol' racist or am I misremembering?
https://www.resetera.com/threads/vgc-palworld-embroiled-in-ai-and-pok%C3%A9mon-%E2%80%98plagiarism%E2%80%99-controversy.807630/post-118089492
Finally, it's time for art majors/baristas/community managers to shine as victims of this AI genocide.
(01-24-2024, 10:40 PM)Boredfrom wrote:
diakyu wrote:I think the worst part is seeing people I respected take the stance that palworld can rip them off because Pokémon "doesn't have the rights to basic animal shapes" or some other manner of nonsense.

I mean these people are blinded by their dislike of Pokémon or game freak or Nintendo or maybe all three. They've literally become the kind of people they used to call blind fanboys. Is that unfair to say? It feels very real to me. Obviously not everyone but it's the only explanation I'm seeing for some unless plagiarism is a massive blind spot in their knowledge. Just wild stuff to see, and pretty demoralizing that you can just be wrong and people will take your side purely because you're the opposition to something they dislike.

But that's just how the world works, fuck me.
Rolleyes lol Rolleyes lol

SassaBassa wrote:Tribalism is a helluva drug

Most people seem content with playing the game.

I'm a huge Pokemon fan and I'm freakin enjoying the hell outta Palworld, da faq is he talking about dislike, oh he has a Pokemon pfp that explains the jealousy