Journal of Other Forum Analysis
A credentialed team of scholars investigate an elaborate social experiment
https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendo-and-the-pok%C3%A9mon-company-are-suing-pocket-pair-palworld-devs-for-patent-infringement.985029/page-15#post-128906307
L Dummy
Quote:Nepenthe So do you think that all the people who were really smug about their idea that Nintendo not having sued them yet meant that incredibly obvious plagiarism didn't happen are going to acknowledge that here, or no?
NepNep
Quote:Of course they're not going to acknowledge it lol.

Or if they do, they're going to move the goalpost to say that Nintendo needs to win the case for the argument to hold merit.

In general, I'm ambivalent about the case because I wasn't really posting in a legal context. The design inspiration was just fucking obvious, and people trying to downplay or outright deny it were being way too disingenuous for me to ignore.

I'll never forget "there's only so many ways to draw a wolf!!!!" Shit like that has made me being an artist really is a lonely road because ain't no way. Ain't no fuckin' way.
Spinluck
Quote:that shit was funny.

"plagarism is gross and it sucks seeing artists' work stolen"

"OH SO YOU'RE JUST A PRO NINTENDO PRO BIG CORPA SHEEP NOW?
Social Justice Warrior 2
Of course they're too dumb to understand that Pal world isn't being sued over the character designs but patents
L Thammy wrote:Nepenthe So do you think that all the people who were really smug about their idea that Nintendo not having sued them yet meant that incredibly obvious plagiarism didn't happen are going to acknowledge that here, or no?

Dude, you run a YouTube channel that uses copyrighted anime clips. lol 

You may no win a cent from it and do it for a passion… but that has not stopped copyright troll at YouTube before.
(09-19-2024, 02:54 AM)HaughtyFrank wrote: Of course they're too dumb to understand that Pal world isn't being sued over the character designs but patents

first thing I noticed too

specific mechanisms or concepts, like the patent namco owns on minigames during load screens so no one else can ever use that idea, or the shadow of mordor nemesis system

or this patent owned by sony

[Image: 7SHOms5.png]
Murkas wrote:Am I crazy or were chuds blasting Space Marine 2 for being woke at first because there's a black dude and a woman in it? Now it's not woke?

Is it woke or not?! Or is it only woke and not DEI woke?

Mesoian wrote:They were blasting it because it was written by a trans woman. Then they liked it so oops it's not woke.

These people have no conviction about anything, they're just complaining to complain. This dude is a chud who is so far removed from the every day practices of his company that he doesn't even know what he's selling.

Spiders

They keep referencing a Google Docs with a list of “woke games” like it was the ChUD bible. CHUDS can be definitely idiots but my impression is that there is nowhere close of having a hive mind way of thinking to that list be anything beyond “retards being retards in their own corner”.
PC Gamer wrote:"Hey man. CEO of Saber here. I love your videos," an account named 'MatthewKarch' said in response to the video, which is actually an hour-long "reaction" to a 20-minute video posted by Legendary Drops. "When we signed the deal to make Space Marine 2, all I wanted was a throwback game. We had the chance to work on something which by its nature was 'old school.'

"I can't even comprehend many of the current games that we play these days. They are too complex and too much of an investment. We worked on Halo back in the day, and that game could be distilled down to the simplest of shooting loops, but it was entirely addicting. That is what we wanted to recapture.

"I hope that games like Space Marine 2 and Wukong are the start of a reversion to a time when games were simply about fun and immersion. I spent some time as Chief Operating Officer at Embracer and I saw games there that made me want to cry with their overblown attempts at messaging or imposing morals on gamers. We just want to do some glory kills and get the heart rate up a little. For me that is what games should be about."

That’s it? I dunno if Asmongold video was full CHUD but… that comment was what triggered ERA?
What the fuck is this podcast analyzing Nepenthe?!?!

Edit - lol
https://www.resetera.com/threads/38-pound-rescue-cat-crumbs-gets-stuck-in-shoe-rack-while-trying-to-escape-from-fat-camp-%E2%80%98he-caused-a-ruckus%E2%80%99.980766/#post-128667144

Quote: Cop User Banned (1 Month): Racist Rhetoric
Bessy67 wrote:Think of all the Haitians that one could feed.
Triggered
(09-19-2024, 02:20 AM)Potato wrote:
(09-18-2024, 09:37 PM)ComeAgain wrote:
Potato dateline='[url=tel:1726691492' wrote: 1726691492[/url]']

Sydney Sweeney's face is bang average. If you ain't showing a medium shot with her tits prominent, then  Camby

She is hot from head to toe  Bolo

Average at best face. Honestly, she's common from the neck up

Where's the dislike button benji
(09-19-2024, 03:25 AM)Boredfrom wrote:
PC Gamer wrote:"Hey man. CEO of Saber here. I love your videos," an account named 'MatthewKarch' said in response to the video, which is actually an hour-long "reaction" to a 20-minute video posted by Legendary Drops. "When we signed the deal to make Space Marine 2, all I wanted was a throwback game. We had the chance to work on something which by its nature was 'old school.'

"I can't even comprehend many of the current games that we play these days. They are too complex and too much of an investment. We worked on Halo back in the day, and that game could be distilled down to the simplest of shooting loops, but it was entirely addicting. That is what we wanted to recapture.

"I hope that games like Space Marine 2 and Wukong are the start of a reversion to a time when games were simply about fun and immersion. I spent some time as Chief Operating Officer at Embracer and I saw games there that made me want to cry with their overblown attempts at messaging or imposing morals on gamers. We just want to do some glory kills and get the heart rate up a little. For me that is what games should be about."

That’s it? I dunno if Asmongold video was full CHUD but… that comment was what triggered ERA?

Not just setting off Era but enough to have websites write articles. Which is funny considering how they ignore when some dev goes on a "white people suck" rant
https://www.resetera.com/threads/it-is-amazing-how-final-fantasy-xvi-has-come-and-gone.984126/page-8#post-128902176
Quote:Yeah FFXVI will always go down to be as the biggest disappointing FF game for me. I should of know the minute that 6/2/2 State of Play where I went in hyped to see more FFXVI and all that hype got stolen very quickly by Street Fighter 6 that the game was gonna be a disappointment to me. Doesn't help that Yoshi P made those ignorant comments about diversity that soured it further. I did enjoy some things about the game like the boss fight and combat overall but when I did the second playthrough on the harder difficulty I said to myself " I don't really need this game anymore. It's not good in my opinion" and moved on an never looked back. FF7 Rebirth definitely scratch the FF itch for me tho 100%
Quote:Yeah, Yoshi-p's comments soured it for me but I gave it a shot anyway and the disgusting misogyny in the game has it as one of my least favorite games ever, its the only mainline final fantasy title I haven't 100%'d (well I'm working on XI when I can taking some friends through the game, I have never done the Voracious Resurgence yet.) I normally have thick skin for a lot of stuff but I've never been as grossed out as a particular scene in XVI, and the just overall treatment of Jill, what a waste of a nice character design.

The only positives I can say about XVI are some of the tracks are good and by some I mean like maybe four out of the 180 track ost are memorable, just a disappointing game all around.
hmm
https://www.resetera.com/threads/rumor-jeff-grubb-says-the-state-of-play-next-week-could-feature-another-less-exciting-remaster-besides-horizon-zero-dawn.984768/#post-128885526
Quote:Did Grubb specify it being a First Party remaster?
Otherwise I think Angie 's point in the OT about it being Wizard game Directors Cut makes sense. That already leaked by Jason some months ago. Its not a remaster in the traditional sense, but close enough and boring enough to be it.

Otherwise I can only think of Days Gone.
Wizard Game has been in the top ten lists since it's released date  TERF BITCH
https://www.resetera.com/threads/in-an-apparent-terrorist-attack-by-israel-a-wave-of-exploding-pagers-targeting-hezbollah-kills-at-least-8-and-injures-2700-up-2nd-wave-confirmed.983253/page-15#post-128888523

Kiyamet wrote:Not to defend Hamas but nearly half of the Oct 7 attack deaths were IDF/ security forces, 789 people as per wikipedia. They targeted military forces. It wasn't indiscriminate like you're implying. Make no mistake I dont think anyone deserved to die here but the Oct 7 attack wasn't unprompted.
                   Justifying terrorism
is this?
None of you deserve to see sydney sweeneys naked breasts, except maybe moblin.
(09-19-2024, 04:24 AM)Hap Shaughnessy wrote: https://www.resetera.com/threads/in-an-apparent-terrorist-attack-by-israel-a-wave-of-exploding-pagers-targeting-hezbollah-kills-at-least-8-and-injures-2700-up-2nd-wave-confirmed.983253/page-15#post-128888523

Kiyamet wrote:Not to defend Hamas but nearly half of the Oct 7 attack deaths were IDF/ security forces, 789 people as per wikipedia. They targeted military forces. It wasn't indiscriminate like you're implying. Make no mistake I dont think anyone deserved to die here but the Oct 7 attack wasn't unprompted.
                   Justifying terrorism
is this?

Piece of shit. Wasn’t he banned for saying this before?
(09-19-2024, 04:24 AM)Hap Shaughnessy wrote: https://www.resetera.com/threads/in-an-apparent-terrorist-attack-by-israel-a-wave-of-exploding-pagers-targeting-hezbollah-kills-at-least-8-and-injures-2700-up-2nd-wave-confirmed.983253/page-15#post-128888523

Quote: Cop User threadbanned: derailing the thread

https://www.resetera.com/threads/in-an-apparent-terrorist-attack-by-israel-a-wave-of-exploding-pagers-targeting-hezbollah-kills-at-least-8-and-injures-2700-up-2nd-wave-confirmed.983253/page-15#post-128910279
Quote: Cop User threadbanned: derailing the thread
KaladinSB wrote:Not to defend Hamas is doing a lot of heavy lifting in this statement. Nearly half means less than half of the deaths were IDF/security forces. That is indiscriminately killing and can't be glossed over by saying well of the people the IDF killed 66% were civilians and only 51% of the people Hamas killed were. That language is exactly how countries justify doing the heinous shit that they do and why we see an endless cycle of violence over decades.

Now to fact check, can you point to where Wikipedia has the numbers you listed? This is what I see when I look:

"In total, 1,139 people were killed:[j] 695 Israeli civilians (including 38 children),[43] 71 foreign nationals, and 373 members of the security forces.[k][44] 364 civilians were killed and many more wounded while attending the Nova music festival.[45][46] At least 14 Israeli civilians were killed by the IDF's use of the Hannibal Directive.[47] About 250 Israeli civilians and soldiers were taken as hostages to the Gaza Strip, alive or dead, and including 30 children, with the stated goal to force Israel to exchange them for imprisoned Palestinians, including women and children.[34][48][49][50] Dozens of cases of rape and sexual assault reportedly occurred, but Hamas officials denied the involvement of their fighters."

If we do the math here, of the people Hamas killed, 68% were civilians. They slaughtered 364 people at a music festival. I do not understand how anyone could say that Hamas targeted military forces? Can Israel argue that because of the 2% more civilians that Hamas killed on that day they are just destroying infrastructure to make up the difference?

None of this is acceptable in any way. What Hamas did, what Israel is doing, there is no justifying the actions of either of these parties.
Cowards. lol 

BDumbs yet again takes the worst decision based only on what hot takes his shitty mods have.
(09-19-2024, 02:50 AM)Taco Bell Tower wrote: https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendo-and-the-pok%C3%A9mon-company-are-suing-pocket-pair-palworld-devs-for-patent-infringement.985029/page-15#post-128906307
L Dummy
Quote:Nepenthe So do you think that all the people who were really smug about their idea that Nintendo not having sued them yet meant that incredibly obvious plagiarism didn't happen are going to acknowledge that here, or no?
NepNep
Quote:Of course they're not going to acknowledge it lol.

Or if they do, they're going to move the goalpost to say that Nintendo needs to win the case for the argument to hold merit.

In general, I'm ambivalent about the case because I wasn't really posting in a legal context. The design inspiration was just fucking obvious, and people trying to downplay or outright deny it were being way too disingenuous for me to ignore.

I'll never forget "there's only so many ways to draw a wolf!!!!" Shit like that has made me being an artist really is a lonely road because ain't no way. Ain't no fuckin' way.
Spinluck
Quote:that shit was funny.

"plagarism is gross and it sucks seeing artists' work stolen"

"OH SO YOU'RE JUST A PRO NINTENDO PRO BIG CORPA SHEEP NOW?
That's weird, I remember a thread recently where they banned and chastised people for doing this kind of thing about other posters. Or was that just because it was Royalan?

Even Hamas wouldn't make this argument. lol
https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendo-and-the-pok%C3%A9mon-company-are-suing-pocket-pair-palworld-devs-for-patent-infringement.985029/page-18#post-128911314
Serebii wrote:
TaySan wrote:Surprised it took this long
As I was telling people, it takes time for them to build the case.

The evidence has been outright there. The models were clearly ripped. The nonsense people spread of that being a lie because the person showing it scaled the models to compare is baffling
Serebii wrote:
Quote:They're suing over Patent infringement not Copyright infringement
I am aware, probably because it's more likely they can succeed with that rather than the models

But there is no denying the models were ripped. You can compare some of them and it's blatantly obvious
The Adder wrote:Folks are saying "it's not the models because patent infringement not copyright," but if they really did rip some models and use them instead of just making something entirely from scratch then it's entirely possible that there's something proprietary about how the models are originally built.

Not saying that's definitely what it was, just that "it's not the models" isn't a definitive fact yet.
Quote:The patent infringement could be about the game mechanics, but it could be about the 3D models (indirectly).

If the Pal designs are ripoff of Pokemon designs (the tweet about Pals being the almost exact 3D model or scaled 3D model), it would mean that PocketPair has extracted the models from the Pokemon games and doing so, infringed multiple patents: reading the content of a cartridge (or equivalent) on a platform not planned/allowed for, bypassing the encryption of the files, and potentially editing the files and using them in another game.

Because being able to replicate (pretty much) exactly the "design"/size of an asset (curves of the limbs/tail, size of the fur, size/curves of the chest/head/ etc.) without having the source file is almost impossible.

Because we are not simply talking about drawings (because our brain can fill the gaps if it's not exact), but 3D models in a game, a technical data/asset.
Princess Bubblegum, On Break wrote:Fascinating news. Have to wonder if the legal play here is to start with a patent infringement case and then go for copyright violations. Basically a Trojan horse or two birds with one stone.
omfg

Also:
Dr. Nothing Loud wrote:
Quote:Seems odd to wait this long, right?
Quote:lol what took them so long
Not really.

Filing now is undoubtedly timed with their PR and marketing arms at maximizing the likelihood of a ginormous settlement or judgment by striking hard at exactly the right moment, when they have enough evidence to prove their case, enough realistic chance that the developer can't and won't just evaporate and evade pursuit the moment you send a cease and desist, etc. Basically, when they're ready. And they were ready to file when they did.
Popular

Plus our resident artist explaining fuck artists if they have any success she doesn't like:
Nepenthe wrote:Now don't get me wrong.

I think there's an argument to make about how artists who work in corporate environments are powerless and lack control over the use of their work. Like, Ken Sugimori does not own any of the Pokemon designs and artwork he's done for them for the 30+ years he's worked there; Nintendo and TPC do. No one knows how he feels about this whole kerfluffle, because in general work is alienating and isolating under this capitalist hellscape.

BUT! The only time I saw anyone sorta kinda trying to make that argument was in the service of the plagiarism by trying to paint the Palworld folks as these anticapitalist underdogs (insert Juan Borja laughing gif here), completely ignoring the fact that they made millions and thus are comparative big boys now, and they did so in the most capitalistic way possible- stealing the labor of other people.

Like, this whole thing has been a joke and an insult on multiple fronts. Between this and general AI content discussion I just sometimes wish people would stop fucking talking about art and artists. It hurts me. Right there in my duodenum.
Nepenthe wrote:
Quote:100%, the artists are always last in line when it comes to receiving any sort of empathy.

there are plenty of indie devs that i'll chose to embrace over Pocket Pair as i find their work devoid of both integrity and creativity.

they may not be a gigantic bully of a corperation like Nintendo, but they weren't exactly running a charity when they did what they did.
Exactly. Like imagine being so thoroughly unlikeable that I'm not invested in your courtroom success against a corporation.
(09-19-2024, 04:29 AM)FUME5 wrote: None of you deserve to see sydney sweeneys naked breasts, except maybe moblin.

Why not celeberate the human form ?

(09-18-2024, 02:15 PM)DocWager wrote: How awful… Some users post things featuring Gal, Sydney, or The Hulkster at the top, but Benji posts Melody stuff.

That’s very depressing. I really don’t know how long I want to live in this world, but I hope it’s soon over.😢

Money would help.
(09-19-2024, 02:01 AM)Jansen wrote: Guys I'm trans now and I lost my job can I have some money please

I promise to spend it on food or rent and not drugs like meth or weed
I have made a few calls. Free pagers and walkie talkies are on their way to both of you.
Do you think there's a storage room somewhere in Lebanon that blew up because the local cell leader didn't bother to hand out the stuff and just shoved the box in a back room? "I'll get to that later, it's kebab time!"
Sigh.. can the Jews just, I don't know.. STOP blowing up devices? Poor Shoot must have lost half of their electronics by now.  maf
3 users liked this post: HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth, Boredfrom, Taco Bell Tower
(09-19-2024, 12:34 AM)BisMarckie wrote: Hey guys, I am really proud to announce The Bire Podcast part 1.

This is about the founding of thebore.net. 

I will announce a patreon soon, where you will get access to more episodes.

https://vocaroo.com/160emTDw25wU

There is also an alternate version: https://voca.ro/1i2fkBVfUC37

This episode is free, but expect to pay up in the future you damn freeloaders.
Looking forward to the PoliEra genocide episode.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/i-dont-know-if-its-worth-it-anymore.985251/

Kalentan wrote:So here I am, almost out of money, stuff to pay off, no job, and honestly just considering just giving up, all the result of my dumb arrogance in myself.

I got laid off at the start of the year, and when I got on unemployment, I got into a program about starting a business, I got the idea that, I would finally try to make a game, at least as much as one person could. And in earnest? It wasn't even going bad, I even got good impressions from the demos I produced from it, but ultimately... I needed more time and the program didn't afford unlimited time.

I had also, in my optimism in believing I would get it done in time, paid for stuff, I shouldn't have.

So, I decided to bite the bullet, admit I couldn't get it done in time, and in early August, started applying for jobs.

After now almost 2 months, I have applied for nearly 90 jobs and the response has been to basically: "Fuck off".

Some might remember me making a thread about getting into the Gaming Industry in a Junior level role, while yes, many of the jobs I did apply for where in such positions, I also applied for many that were just general Tech Industry jobs. Ones that fit my College degree and Programming know-how. Even those have been flunks and the best one I could potentially get basically told me: "We will at least glance at your resume in 6 - 8 weeks." Unfortunately, that wasn't at the start of August, so I am not even potentially close to that one.

So i thought, if I could just you know, maybe hold out, so I decided to open up Art Commissions. At least something, to get some money to help pay for stuff and wait to see about the jobs I applied for.

After all, I've done art for years now, while I'm not some AAA Artist, I am pretty decent and always improving. Since I hadn't done Art Commissions before, I decided to keep the price relatively low at $30 (which for anyone who isn't aware is quite on the low end), and you get a 3/4th body fully rendered piece of art. Even with the support of artists friends who are much bigger than I am, we couldn't get anymore to commission to me. So in the end, I only got 1 commission, from someone who is already a fairly long time good friend.

I don't drive, I am deathly afraid of being put behind the wheel of a car and so if I did get a retail job, I would be spending a lot of money every single day just getting to and from work. Hence why I was trying to go for Remote Work, after all, my last job went fully Remote during the Pandemic and that really helped me out.

So now...

I'm almost out of money.

No one wants to hire me.

No one wants to commission me.

I have stuff that needs to get paid off.

I am stressed out of my goddamn mind and I don't see any sign of hope. At this point, I don't see any reason why I shouldn't just go walk into traffic or something, I have been so thoroughly rejected by everything. And this is all my fault. When I lost my job originally back in January, I should have just tried for a job right there and then, I had the money at the time to not worry for a good long while... But that's what I did, I was stupid and now I'm paying the price.
that time of the year?
2 users liked this post: HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth, Taco Bell Tower
Excuse me. That time of the month. I forgot it's Resetera.
(09-19-2024, 07:56 AM)Hap Shaughnessy wrote: https://www.resetera.com/threads/i-dont-know-if-its-worth-it-anymore.985251/

Kalentan wrote:So here I am, almost out of money, stuff to pay off, no job, and honestly just considering just giving up, all the result of my dumb arrogance in myself.

I got laid off at the start of the year, and when I got on unemployment, I got into a program about starting a business, I got the idea that, I would finally try to make a game, at least as much as one person could. And in earnest? It wasn't even going bad, I even got good impressions from the demos I produced from it, but ultimately... I needed more time and the program didn't afford unlimited time.

I had also, in my optimism in believing I would get it done in time, paid for stuff, I shouldn't have.

So, I decided to bite the bullet, admit I couldn't get it done in time, and in early August, started applying for jobs.

After now almost 2 months, I have applied for nearly 90 jobs and the response has been to basically: "Fuck off".

Some might remember me making a thread about getting into the Gaming Industry in a Junior level role, while yes, many of the jobs I did apply for where in such positions, I also applied for many that were just general Tech Industry jobs. Ones that fit my College degree and Programming know-how. Even those have been flunks and the best one I could potentially get basically told me: "We will at least glance at your resume in 6 - 8 weeks." Unfortunately, that wasn't at the start of August, so I am not even potentially close to that one.

So i thought, if I could just you know, maybe hold out, so I decided to open up Art Commissions. At least something, to get some money to help pay for stuff and wait to see about the jobs I applied for.

After all, I've done art for years now, while I'm not some AAA Artist, I am pretty decent and always improving. Since I hadn't done Art Commissions before, I decided to keep the price relatively low at $30 (which for anyone who isn't aware is quite on the low end), and you get a 3/4th body fully rendered piece of art. Even with the support of artists friends who are much bigger than I am, we couldn't get anymore to commission to me. So in the end, I only got 1 commission, from someone who is already a fairly long time good friend.

I don't drive, I am deathly afraid of being put behind the wheel of a car and so if I did get a retail job, I would be spending a lot of money every single day just getting to and from work. Hence why I was trying to go for Remote Work, after all, my last job went fully Remote during the Pandemic and that really helped me out.

So now...

I'm almost out of money.

No one wants to hire me.

No one wants to commission me.

I have stuff that needs to get paid off.

I am stressed out of my goddamn mind and I don't see any sign of hope. At this point, I don't see any reason why I shouldn't just go walk into traffic or something, I have been so thoroughly rejected by everything. And this is all my fault. When I lost my job originally back in January, I should have just tried for a job right there and then, I had the money at the time to not worry for a good long while... But that's what I did, I was stupid and now I'm paying the price.

First post
Quote:Remember friend, suicide is a final solution to temporary problems. Not worth it. It will get better, hardship is just one of the most prominent tastes of life. Best wishes!
What
I'm sure they can find retail work but it seems like they are focused on wanting a stay at home job.  Gloomy
There’s a victory in knowing your suicide thread delayed three or four others. Only one person can be the center of attention. Unspoken rule of suicide-era.