Journal of Other Forum Analysis
A credentialed team of scholars investigate an elaborate social experiment
MyDudeMango wrote:Given a lot of the issue of concern is an abrasive/touchy vibe, and an informal 'you know what you did' attitude, it does seem a little disappointing that the response given was a very annoyed 'you all know what you did' kind of response. Also that people noted they simply sought to understand a ban/warning better so as to adjust behaviour going forward, not dispute or appeal it, and that their ticket was closed by responding to them as if they were disputing the warning/ban - and the response to this issue has involved telling people to make a better case for undoing a ban or warning, which to me honestly more than anything else pretty much proves and self-demonstrates that exact point about how sincere requests for elabouration so that people can do better and be better are misconstrued as appeals or disputes / that things are treated too adversarially.

And I mean all this constructively, and sincerely, with no insult meant by any of it. Especially when you'll have newcomers coming onto a site, people who aren't there since the beginning, not everything is always going to be obvious to everyone (and that's not even getting into the can of worms that is neurodivergent folks who may not understand what is obvious to another person). Especially as not all the things that one can get warned or banned for are really listed or explained in the forum guide/rules, much of it is tough to figure out on one's own. Taking a very opaque, informal, gruff attitude about moderation can just plain be difficult for people to figure out, again especially when the rules/guidelines don't cover a good deal of things. And again, I feel the response given self-demonstrates in how it comes across very annoyed and informal and adversarial where it need not be, where it could be more frank and formal and civil at minimum even if the response was still going to be a negative. At least in my opinion, being so openly annoyed and almost disdainful in an official communication like that is more likely to fan flames than it is to help cool down any situation - especially when it's not even a tone reserved just for truly egregious chaotic thread breakdowns, but is deployed even in the designated thread where people are giving their sincere and focused feedback.

Ashes of Dreams wrote:If I don't understand what "concern trolling" is and why I was guilty of it, how am I supposed to improve on this? If your answer is "I'm not going to hold your hand" then in that case I guess I will fall back on my previous question, "what is the point of a short ban"? I'll also ask what the point of this thread is, if several people come forward and say "we got dismissive responses to our tickets that didn't answer the question" and we're told that nothing will change.

This is a great example: concern trolling is not listed anywhere on the guide/rules to resetera thread, not only not explained as to what it is but outright not mentioned at all. I personally (probably) know what's meant by it, but not everyone will know it, newcomers especially will not know it.

If it's not listed in the rules, and no explanation is given, not even upon moderation, how exactly would one know how to avoid it in the future?

Did you not know about the secret rules that the mods certainly can't clarify for fear of their safety? Why do you want to put B-Dumbs and Nep at risk?
(10-10-2024, 12:15 AM)Gameboy Nostalgia wrote:
(10-09-2024, 11:58 PM)Averon wrote: Constructive Thread:
B-Dumbs wrote:Guys, we aren't going to sit there and hold your hands for every single ban or warning. I just want to note, the guy who started this whole thing someone wound up going to bat for a dude who stole someone's smart watch and got banned for that. It was a fairly obvious ban and, frankly, we're not going to sit in the tickets and argue every single ban with every single user. If you think we got it wrong, make your case as to why we were wrong. We're more than willing to undo a ban if we messed up, but we're not going to sit there and argue it with you. Nobody has time for that shit and some of you know that already.

TL;DR: Shut the fuck up with your whining lol

Moderation and their abusive relationship with their users.  Gloomy

Can’t wait for the Bire constructive criticism thread.
Morrigan wrote:Several users complain here that they are not trying to undo bans, but rather understand them better in order to avoid repeating the offenses, and how responses to such inquiries, filed in the correct non-appeals category, have been lacking.

And the condescending, scornful reply we get is one that talks about... undoing bans.

Sigh. OK

Love ex-mod Morrigan vs mods
(10-10-2024, 02:13 AM)HaughtyFrank wrote:
Morrigan wrote:Several users complain here that they are not trying to undo bans, but rather understand them better in order to avoid repeating the offenses, and how responses to such inquiries, filed in the correct non-appeals category, have been lacking.

And the condescending, scornful reply we get is one that talks about... undoing bans.

Sigh. OK

Love ex-mod Morrigan vs mods

Spoiler:  (click to show)

Yuck
2 users liked this post: Taco Bell Tower, Propagandhim
Meanwhile, on Twitter, the Ori guy is going full Gamergate:
[Image: GZdf3gXbsAA4yyM?format=jpg&name=small]
[Image: GZdf3gabgAAO_9i?format=jpg&name=small]
[Image: GZdwsgJaAAAhlLt?format=jpg&name=small]

ResetERA.com member is on the case:

(10-10-2024, 02:22 AM)benji wrote:

Its an indie game you dumbass, the studio is tiny  lol

Also instead of going "Oh I worked on X" she instantly went into some DEI rant
"Always be nice to people" = thinly-veiled nazism.

"Basic human decency" = a very simple ask.
(10-09-2024, 06:42 PM)AnnoyedCanadian wrote: https://www.resetera.com/threads/would-you-prefer-a-mediterranean-siesta-midday-shutoff-and-or-nap-as-part-of-your-daily-work-schedule.1005189/

This is how a person talks and not a bot.

The thing I don't get is how the dude uses some AI program and still can't spell worth a fuck.

klobbbbbbb

True AI connoisseurs know that you intentionally get the bot to throw in a few typos to throw people off the sent.
3 users liked this post: D3RANG3D, Taco Bell Tower, HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth
This would have never blown up if she just answered the question like a normal human

[Image: GZfllO9W0BUrimF?format=jpg&name=large]

Instead she made a non-sequitur, protected her tweets and then the "journalists" stepped in
https://www.resetera.com/threads/how-are-kite-shields-supposed-to-be-held.1005684/

Wrexis wrote:Traditionally you see it this way in re-enactments or movies:

[Image: PAaYIFW.png]

But it's increasingly seen in gaming this way:

[Image: tbshNaf.jpeg]

Historical experts, tell me the right way so I can go into battle without looking like a fool.
Derp
Orayn wrote:The thing about shields having both straps and handles is that you can use both or either. If it's not strapped to your arm, you just carry it around and can drop it if you need to. You can also just strap it to your arm, and it'll just kind of hang there and be a big awkward piece of wood and/or metal, but it will still cover part of your body and you can control it somewhat With the placement of your arm.

Watch some HEMA and historical weapons channels like Robinswords, Skallagrim, Marcus Vance, Weaponism, and Seki Sensi.
Quote:I would also add on Scholargladitoria as he(Matt Easton) owns a hema school and is an Antique arms dealer who had hundreds of antique weapons and armor. Oh and Todd's workshop, since Todd actually makes weapons(he also has a trebuchet he's done videos on) and has lots of videos testing weapons and armor. Skallagrim recently put out a video on his channel where he met up with Matt and Todd on his trip to the UK.
Yeah, no thanks, I don't need my recommendations overrun by chuds even more. Social Justice Warrior
(10-10-2024, 02:22 AM)benji wrote: Meanwhile, on Twitter, the Ori guy is going full Gamergate:

Someone tell this chick literally every game studio has sexual harassment, so stop complaining  wag
I worked on Astro Bot. Questioning this is violence. Also from my professional perspective the video game industry is deliberately making incredibly high fidelity food models to prep for a famine   future where we eat corncubes with our VR goggles on. Dare refute this in anyway and a legion of twitter freaks with bad dye-jobs will spawn to chud brand you.
maybe banning video games is the right thing to do if there's just so much drama with it.  Stahp
(10-10-2024, 03:23 AM)Gameboy Nostalgia wrote: maybe banning video games is the right thing to do if there's just so much drama with it.  Stahp
Oh, so you're saying important artistic voices like Forspoken, Dustborn and Concord should be silenced? Social Justice Warrior
How else will we stop the chuds? It's a losing fight, Benji..  Gloomy
Just engage in basic human decency and bury all the chuds under the prison.
(10-10-2024, 02:22 AM)benji wrote: Meanwhile, on Twitter, the Ori guy is going full Gamergate:

Mahler is kind of insane but he didn’t do anything wrong by pointing out she didn’t work directly to the studio. Yeshrug 

Is nice to see the anti GG have no changed at all and employ the usual tactic of “look, this guy is an asshole, we a cool. Egomaniac we are in the right side.”
Again, how many grifters are in these DEI initiatives. Willam But that's none of my business...
(10-10-2024, 03:23 AM)Gameboy Nostalgia wrote: maybe banning video games is the right thing to do if there's just so much drama with it.  Stahp

Saying this right after Kamala Harris announces a collaboration with World of Warcraft ufup
(10-10-2024, 04:01 AM)Potato wrote:

He is a dickhhead but he is not wrong. Trumps 

#FreeMikeZ
(10-08-2024, 11:47 PM)kaleidoscopium wrote:
b dumb wrote:
Quote:Bluesky really appeals to me and others who loved the quieter old school Twitter experience, but I think there are a lot of people who crave the chaos and infighting. I don't get it myself, but one of the first things I noticed when more people started getting on Bsky was a sharp uptake of people leaping into folks' mentions trying to start fights and shit.
People got trained to be that way by Twitter. You see it here too. You can really tell who spends tons of time on Twitter.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/brazil-top-judge-orders-suspension-of-elon-musks-twitter.968790/page-18#post-129907635

(03-11-2024, 07:22 PM)PogiJones wrote:
B-dubs wrote:At what point do you take responsibility for the kind of community you have fostered?

[Image: bekphnqftcb41.jpg]
(10-10-2024, 04:06 AM)Boredfrom wrote:
(10-10-2024, 04:01 AM)Potato wrote:

He is a dickhhead but he is not wrong. Trumps 

#FreeMikeZ

Forget whatever he's saying these days, this bullshit should've gotten him canceled 7 years ago:
https://www.christianpost.com/news/bloodborne-2-may-be-one-of-the-games-announced-at-this-years-e3.html
Is it really so hard for Twitter's algorithms to stop training all my users to be shitty people? Stahp
(10-10-2024, 04:56 AM)benji wrote: Is it really so hard for Twitter's algorithms to stop training all my users to be shitty people? Stahp

That is one thing I don't get for the other forum to be complaining about, at least for other websites.

On YouTube I just see music, animal, guitar and tech video recommendations. Nothing that gets me angry, upset or anything. They have to be purposely be seeking out the videos and/or not realize there is a "I don't want to see this channel" option.
3 users liked this post: Taco Bell Tower, D3RANG3D, HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth
(10-10-2024, 04:56 AM)benji wrote: Is it really so hard for Twitter's algorithms to stop training all my users to be shitty people? Stahp

stop following nintex
(10-10-2024, 03:58 AM)Boredfrom wrote: Mahler is kind of insane but he didn’t do anything wrong by pointing out she didn’t work directly to the studio. Yeshrug 

Is nice to see the anti GG have no changed at all and employ the usual tactic of “look, this guy is an asshole, we a cool. Egomaniac we are in the right side.”

it sure sounds like mahler's games are great because they stem from a clear vision, which only happens with someone exercising "tough love" control over the project...in other words the opposite of the toxic positivity where everyone says "oh...uh, yeah, that's great...real...great design..." and lets utter shit make it into the game unchecked

and of course that's going to get the studio labeled toxic and problematic in today's climate