Journal of Other Forum Analysis
A credentialed team of scholars investigate an elaborate social experiment
https://www.resetera.com/threads/smash-mouth-lead-steve-harwell-in-final-stage-of-liver-failure-update-passed-away.760653/page-6#post-111523281
Quote:200% the facts right here. Mods should be pouncing all over these people. If they don’t then this place turns into a toxic horrible site and they will lose members and no one will want to join it much less advertisers….

I got banned for arguing with people making similar type comments in the titantic sub thread too.

I was not a fan of smash mouth but it sounds like he was dealing with heavy shit. RIP.
It was always a toxic horrible site since Ree came from GAF.  Also, we know those who were permanently banned came back after crawling and kissing admins and mods boots to be able to come back in.
(09-04-2023, 03:15 PM)Boredfrom wrote:
Besticus Maximus dateline='[url=tel:1693837333' wrote: 1693837333[/url]']
Nintendo just churning out GOATs while chillaxed as everyone else declares holy way over 7.5/10 videogames

Just don’t be like this dude:

DrMario wrote:Breath of the Wild is a masterpiece because it tackles and exudes melancholy. You know how many games are centered around melancholy? Practically zero, the emotion is too complex for most game directors/producers. They prefer primary emotions like honor sullied, angry smash, sexy time, now friendship powerful.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-3-best-reviewed-games-of-the-last-decade-are-all-nintendo’s-some-reasons.760350/page-4#post-111508335

Cat omfg Cat

Game designers affiliated with Nintendo are simply the best at their craft, combined with insane QA standards and attention to detail their games are just better.
They have some crazy motherfuckers working there, take Sakurai. Turns out he does basically everything that is important (like fine-tuning character parameters or selecting the music he'd like composers to make for Smash Bros.) all by himself. He does the work that would take other companies 10 or 20 people with different roles. No company has their producers play test games, that is what play testers and QA is for. At least this was the case until Aonuma unveiled he debugged Tears of the Kingdom himself. That was an even bigger shock to the industry than the delay.

Miyamoto was hands-on supervising the creation of a theme park, Pikmin 4 and a Mario movie at the same time. All of which were big successes despite having the odds stacked against them. Nintendo will have the biggest animated movie and the biggest videogame of the year and how things currently are going, probably the second biggest videogame too once Super Mario Wonder drops. At this point they are mainly competing with themselves. 

And they do all this with smaller budgets, weaker hardware and all sorts of limitations they set for themselves. Titus
3 users liked this post: Potato, Taco Bell Tower, Uncle
Reading era is the same general vibe as Kiwi Farms sometimes. There aren't many places as nasty and toxic as Era.
Jesus fucking Chris. RedMercury can't help himself:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/smash-mouth-lead-steve-harwell-in-final-stage-of-liver-failure-update-passed-away.760653/page-6#post-111524829

RedMercury wrote:And yet, nobody, not a single person has said alcoholism is a good thing.

It's so ridiculous when the morality brigade finds an opening in these situations to get their gripes in off the back of someone dying, that's somehow totally okay though and not at all shameful, I'm sure the guy's family would love the idea of using his death to complain about an internet forum.

You can recognize alcoholism is a shitty disease, and recognize that not everything about a person or their actions needs to be attributed to it, and that sometimes people do really shitty things that yeah, is going to have an effect on people's opinion about them regardless of if they are still here or have passed on.

Unsurprisingly, he's also a big supporter of online harassment, as long as it's aimed at the "right" target.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/smash-mouth-lead-steve-harwell-in-final-stage-of-liver-failure-update-passed-away.760653/page-6#post-111524829
Quote:It's funny how so many on this site try to pretend to take the moral high ground on a number of issues: ableism, X-shaming, destigmatizing, pretend to be progressive, trying to paint everything as black and white as possible when in reality, many of you are just as soulless and hateful as the ideas you claim to fight against. Dude has suffered from alcoholism for a long time. I've personally lost friends and family to it. It's something that completely destroys you. It changes your personality. The way you think. Everything. And brain damage on top of that. I'm more than willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt considering his stance on issues in the past. But I guess some of you would rather make fun of a dying man with a disease. Yeah, it sucks that he's done and said some bizarre things the past few years. But it sucks more that he wasn't able to beat this and that he's going to pay the ultimate price for it.

Rest in peace.
RedMercury
Quote:And yet, nobody, not a single person has said alcoholism is a good thing.

It's so ridiculous when the morality brigade finds an opening in these situations to get their gripes in off the back of someone dying, that's somehow totally okay though and not at all shameful, I'm sure the guy's family would love the idea of using his death to complain about an internet forum.

You can recognize alcoholism is a shitty disease, and recognize that not everything about a person or their actions needs to be attributed to it, and that sometimes people do really shitty things that yeah, is going to have an effect on people's opinion about them regardless of if they are still here or have passed on.
You could have just walked away
People complaining about grave dancing while B-Dumbs is fighting for what really matters down in constructive:

Red Fire, post: 111510846, member: 9002 wrote:User threadbanned: ignoring thread rules

So i don't know where i should go with my complaints so i guess here it goes.

There's a thread on the front page with METROID DREAD SPOILERS in the thread title. No matter what you personally think about spoilers, other people will think differently.
I complained about the spoiler in the thread and got thread banned. There were others who were also complaining who got the same treatment. This is such a coward move. I reported the post and wrote a few things which i will copy and paste here:

"Obviously it is a huge moment. We wouldn't have this thread if it wasn't. Look at the replies on the first page alone, everyone is saying how amazing it was to see for the first time. OBVIOUSLY it is something that will ruin the fun when spoiled. So what the f is this warning for? It doesn't matter if the game is 2 years old. Not everyone plays the game on release. Look at my reply, the thread title could've been written like that and everybody would've been happy. It doesn't matter what YOU PERSONALLY think is a spoiler and what isn't. Instead of changing the title you warn users for complaining and then BAN THEM from the thread? What the f are you on? This is a super shitty move. What a complete failure."

[USER=143]B-Dubs[/USER] i have seen you say 'spoiler culture is getting ridiculous' in other threads and i don't care what you personally think. If it is a problem for a part of the community then it should be treated as a problem. Just muting people for their rightful complaints is a joke. The right thing for you to do would've been to change the thread title to 'How did you react to Samus (Metroid Dread spoilers inside)'. That would've been easy and everyone would be happy.

Instead you go dictator mode and thread ban everyone and leave it as it is because you think 'the game is 2 years old and it isn't a big spoiler'. Your personal views matter, our complaints don't? Wtf?

Rinse Bassfunk, post: 111511053, member: 11767 wrote:Ah yes, effing and jeffing at mods, calling it a failure, comparing to dictators, that'll certainly help you make your point. What a totally reasonable reaction to being thread banned or warned.

Popular

SixelAlexiS, post: 111510804, member: 18424 wrote:Can anyone explain me how the "thread whining" warning works?
I've complained about an open spoiler in a thread title and I got that, is there a rule that allow open spoilers for non-recent games/disallow people to comment about those? Thank you.

B-Dubs, post: 111517548, member: 143 wrote:The game has been out for over two years and the spoilers are very minor at best. The truth is any change to the thread title would be clickbait at best or totally nondescriptive at worst. People have the right to not be spoiled, but that has got to be balanced against the need of the site to facilitate actual discussion between members. We are a discussion forum after all. When people's desire to not get spoiled becomes an unreasonable burden in that regard, when it actively stifles discussion, we need to step in and ensure discussion takes precedence.

We've had a problem in the last few months of people going into threads just to complain about spoilers, even in threads where the presence of spoilers should be completely obvious to anyone with eyes. Threads actively marked "Spoiler" about content that should obviously contain spoilers have even gotten derailed by this. It's actively reached the point of absurdity.

If you have an issue with a thread then you should be sending in a report instead of browbeating and shaming the OP to ask us for a title change. If they are violating the rules we will take action, if not then that's that.

We'll be reiterating the spoiler rules in an announcement thread in the coming days, they aren't changing but I imagine a handful of people won't be happy regardless.

B-Dubs, post: 111523845, member: 143 wrote:I'm going to be real, the community does an absolutely horrible job of self-moderating when it comes to spoilers. We've had threads that were clearly marked spoiler threads completely derailed by people complaining about spoilers. It's gotten to the point where actual discussion is not only getting stifled but when it does happen it gets buried in threads with titles that are so obtuse and useless that they may as well be clickbait. We're doing this because what's going on now clearly is not working and needs to change. So if you think the community is doing a good job, I imagine you won't be pleased when we reiterate the rules for everyone and how we'll be moderating threads concerning them.

Keep in mind, the rules aren't changing, so if you've been actually following them you'll be fine, but we'll be enforcing them more strictly.

Talking all that mess while conveniently ignoring posts such as these:

Kinvara, post: 111524961, member: 8750 wrote:We need to stamp down on the schadenfreude and grave-dancing. I'm not saying I'm not guilty of it. There are plenty of powerful politicians out there who I think make the world a worse place to be in. However, at the same time, threads that turn into circle-jerks reveling in their misfortune don't lead to a healthy atmosphere.

kmfdmpig, post: 111526074, member: 4043 wrote:I agree.  The number of people whose graves should be danced on is really very small, but segments of Era expand it to such a wide degree that it makes this place really mean spirited when it doesn't need to be.

But that's none of my business...
Quote:I'm going to be real, the community does an absolutely horrible job of self-moderating
The admins and mods are worst  lol
4 users liked this post: HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth, Boredfrom, Potato, BIONIC
No self respecting, Narcan hoarding junkie would ever be caught dead getting drunk and saying the R word
https://www.resetera.com/threads/so-it-looks-like-its-finally-time-for-me-to-build-a-new-pc.760776/
Planetsmasher
Quote:For those who don't know, my desktop PC is...a mess. I built it a little more than a decade ago after my original PC that I built while living in Chicago died to cascade hardware failure, and since then I have kept it "alive", in a very ghoulish sense, by basically swapping out graphics cards every couple of years with hand-me-downs given to me by friends. But for reasons I have never fully understood, during the Windows 7 -> Windows 10 changeover, when Microsoft was offering free upgrades to Win10, my PC just ardently refused to actually complete the installation process of Windows 10. Three separate times, I tried the installation and after 36 hours, the system just stayed stuck at 99% completion. Every time. So I gave up and haven't touched its innards in quite a while. As a result, I have been, for years, running a Windows 7 desktop PC as my Discord chat-box and...almost nothing else, save for running a couple games with extremely low processor requirements like the FF Pixel Remasters.

However, after years and years of this, it looks like this poor old guard bastard is finally reaching end of life. Even things like loading basic websites have tripled in length, and things like my wi-fi adaptor just randomly fail on me out of the blue. Everything is slower than ever, and realistically, running a PC that's two entire operating systems behind is an absolutely massive personal security hole even IF the hardware wasn't starting to die off.

So what I'm curious is, for someone like me who is deathly afraid of actual component assembly (I get anxiety attacks putting PC parts together, it's not really something I can avoid, sadly), what is the most reasonable process for getting/putting together a new PC without spending $3000 or more? I already have a MacBook Pro that I do several other things on so I'm not exactly looking for the most expensive box in the known universe, I just want something that can play some games and interface well with my Steam Deck without breaking the bank or requiring me to wait in insane GPU queues for a chance to gamble on a graphics card I don't really care that much about.

Give me some advice, folks. Is this still a really bad time to look into new PC hardware? Should I just stick with my MacBook and trade it in when it starts to get long in the tooth? What's the smartest (and most cash-efficient) way to approach this?
He just haaaad to make it about himself  Dead
3 users liked this post: HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth, Hap Shaughnessy, benji
'I have anxiety about components' = I am an actual idiot who cannot plug thing A into thing B and turn it on, even though I present myself as an authority on videogame development
https://www.resetera.com/threads/smash-mouth-lead-steve-harwell-in-final-stage-of-liver-failure-update-passed-away.760653/page-7#post-111527523
Quote:Multiple users who’ve had personal experience with alcoholism have expressed how the disease literally changes your personality and way of thinking. It’s understandable that his behavior might color some people’s view of him, of course, but they should express their ire at the disease rather than at him.
RedMercury
Quote:Not trying to make this guy's death about me, that would be shitty but just responding to this comment. I am an addict. I was raised by addicts. I know full well what it can do or does to people. I have done shitty things due to my addiction, and I have done shitty things that I knew full well were not good things to do in service of my addiction. Like you said, it is a disease and ire should be directed at it, it's horrible, and like you said about it coloring perspectives, yeah that's true. There are some people who might attribute everything negative I've done to the disease and take away my agency, there are some who would go the complete other way and not acknowledge it at all (which is stupid), and some who would land in the middle, which I think at least through my therapy I've recognized is the closest to the actuality. If someone is super dense and doesn't want to recognize what addiction can do to someone, that's dumb. I don't know that I have seen that here though, it seems more like people acknowledging two things can be true at the same time, what a horrible disease it is but also not completely taking away agency for decisions like the aforementioned super-spreader event in 2020.
omfg
Is every other person on that site "an addict" of some sort? How many alcoholics, addicts, and junkies are on ERA?
books dateline='[url=tel:1693828103' wrote: 1693828103[/url]']
DocWager dateline='[url=tel:1693797885' wrote: 1693797885[/url]']
I’m starting to think Xbox fanboys are insane. Like, killing hookers insane.

Larian stans are even worse imo. They praise BG3's Act I which has been polished for years in early access yet haven't seen a single person say its good by Act III, where they stopped polishing the game. In fact, I don't think a single BG3 fan has reached Act III.
I’m just about to finish Act 2 which was great but short (why was moonrise tower not an actual dungeon but basically just a house with a prison underneath wtf?) compared to 1; is act 3 really that bad?
1 user liked this post: Taco Bell Tower
benji dateline='[url=tel:1693796052' wrote: 1693796052[/url]']
Boredfrom dateline='[url=tel:1693795193' wrote: 1693795193[/url]']
Yeah, this a very oversimplified view of Marx, I also dont want to be anti intellectual asshole and said he is an idiot.
It's not anti-intellectual to recognize that Marx was an idiot lunatic. He started an indefinite series of tomes on a subject he never bothered to learn about or even come up with a definition for that he said determined all of human history. lol

Marx? A lunatic? The same Marx who became weirdly obsessed with tribal societies in his later life, only to completely misunderstand basically everything about how they worked? 

Weird how nobody talks about his conclusions. It’s almost like everything he ever claimed was total bullshit.

I hope anyone on this forum who doesn’t recognize Hegel as the only 19th century philosopher worth listening to gets banned.
(09-04-2023, 05:43 PM)Hap Shaughnessy wrote: Reading era is the same general vibe as Kiwi Farms sometimes. There aren't many places as nasty and toxic as Era.

I'd say one big difference is that with Kiwi Farms, nearly all the users are either trolls or themselves know that they are genuinely awful, hateful people.

On ResetEra... they think they're the good guys (like Kyuuji, Nepenthe, excelsiorf, CuckyCal, etc...)

No self-awareness at all.
(09-04-2023, 04:07 PM)Taco Bell Tower wrote: https://www.resetera.com/threads/smash-mouth-lead-steve-harwell-in-final-stage-of-liver-failure-update-passed-away.760653/page-4#post-111520410
Quote:How about mods start implementing rules on any post or comment wishing death/violence/ harm against anyone to start with.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/general-guide-to-resetera.9777/post-21141033 wrote:Obituary Threads

We generally do not welcome celebration or cheering the death of public figures. Members that appear to be using an obituary thread solely to post about how glad they are that person is dead may be moderated. This does not preclude sober criticism of a person's legacy or mistakes in life. We simply do not want to celebrate death. Context will matter, and some individuals have done things so heinous that rare exceptions may need to be made.

???
2 users liked this post: HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth, Taco Bell Tower
(09-04-2023, 07:23 PM)BisMarckie wrote: I hope anyone on this forum who doesn’t recognize Hegel as the only 19th century philosopher worth listening to gets banned.
Jeanluc
(06-29-2023, 06:04 PM)Hap Shaughnessy wrote:
(06-27-2023, 05:14 PM)Hap Shaughnessy wrote: https://www.resetera.com/threads/john-goodman-said-he-felt-bad-for-roseanne-and-feels-terrible-about-the-whole-thing-today-roseanne-went-on-a-massive-anti-semitic-rant.735645/#post-108092793
DominicanGlory wrote:Wtf is wrong with her... Good lord.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roseanne_Barr#Early_life
Quote:At age 16, Barr was hit by a car, and the car's hood ornament impaled her skull; the incident left her with a traumatic brain injury.[9] Her behavior changed so radically that she was institutionalized for eight months at Utah State Hospital.[12][13]

https://www.resetera.com/threads/john-goodman-said-he-felt-bad-for-roseanne-and-feels-terrible-about-the-whole-thing-today-roseanne-went-on-a-massive-anti-semitic-rant.735645/page-2#post-108095685
Quote: Cop User Banned (1 Month): Armchair Diagnosis; Account in Junior Phase
SaulForex wrote:The traumatic brain injury she suffered as a teen more than likely contributes to whatever asinine positions she holds now. Not that it excuses such behavior or beliefs, but it has definitely made her more amenable to.
Nope

https://www.resetera.com/threads/smash-mouth-lead-steve-harwell-in-final-stage-of-liver-failure-update-passed-away.760653/#post-111490452
msdstc wrote:his brain damage explains his total personality shift and outbursts. I’m not really sure it’s fair to judge when it sounds like he was totally out of it, but I do also understand the frustration with stuff like this.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/smash-mouth-lead-steve-harwell-in-final-stage-of-liver-failure-update-passed-away.760653/#post-111491103
msdstc wrote:
Surakian wrote:Yes, and people who suffer from illness and addiction don’t get free passes just because of their illness and addictions. People should be able to discuss how his life circumstances sucked and he suffered a lot, but that he was making some really terrible choices that should be acknowledged.
He made terrible choices but he had brain damage. From what I remember their social media was extremely outspokenly liberal right? Idk those outbursts sound totally unhinged and borderline demented, which he had actual documented brain damage. It doesn’t give a total pass, but there’s a difference between just addiction and total and complete health disasters like that. I don’t know much about his past maybe he was always like that, but that seems to line up with dementia which he was said to have from severe alcohol abuse.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/smash-mouth-lead-steve-harwell-in-final-stage-of-liver-failure-update-passed-away.760653/page-3#post-111513756
TheGummyBea wrote:
AlteredBeast wrote:Wernicke's is no joke. When I worked in long term care, we had several 40 year old in there who had drank themselves into dementia. Their lives were gone, they were separated from their families.

Unless these crazy antics were present before his diagnosis, I have to believe a lot of is due to the effects of alcoholism. It's a real disease.
Yeah, it does seem some here don't truly grasp how serious and detrimental wernickes can be. Anyone who has been hospitalised with physical withdrawals from alcohol will know that the first thing the doctor will check for isn't liver failure, its wernickes.

When I've been hospitalised in the past, I've always been put immediately on a intravenous thiamine drip, before my blood works had even come back, because time is very much of the essence in preventing irreversible brain damage.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/smash-mouth-lead-steve-harwell-in-final-stage-of-liver-failure-update-passed-away.760653/page-3#post-111514017
msdstc wrote:
Ex Lion Tamer wrote:I’m someone who has directly gone through very serious addiction for years and recently gotten sober, and I have a lot of empathy for anyone going through that. i still have no problem with anyone bringing up anything problematic. I am still at the end of the day responsible for the choices I made during my addiction and any consequences they had.
Did you have dementia? You seem to keep glossing over the fact that the guy had brain damage and dementia. People posted evidence of his progressive views and attitudes and spoke about his dramatic personality shift and bizarre behavior. Jumping to making jokes and saying “good I don’t care that he’s dead” without trying to understand anything about the situation is wrong… it just seems like people racing to try to say “didn’t you know he was evil!?”.

Want to make clear I do understand highlighting when someone sucked in their life, but I think there’s nuance such as this case, where the guy had dementia when he had his outburst.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/smash-mouth-lead-steve-harwell-in-final-stage-of-liver-failure-update-passed-away.760653/page-4#post-111519306
theBmZ wrote:It's funny how so many on this site try to pretend to take the moral high ground on a number of issues: ableism, X-shaming, destigmatizing, pretend to be progressive, trying to paint everything as black and white as possible when in reality, many of you are just as soulless and hateful as the ideas you claim to fight against. Dude has suffered from alcoholism for a long time. I've personally lost friends and family to it. It's something that completely destroys you. It changes your personality. The way you think. Everything. And brain damage on top of that. I'm more than willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt considering his stance on issues in the past. But I guess some of you would rather make fun of a dying man with a disease. Yeah, it sucks that he's done and said some bizarre things the past few years. But it sucks more that he wasn't able to beat this and that he's going to pay the ultimate price for it.

Rest in peace.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/smash-mouth-lead-steve-harwell-in-final-stage-of-liver-failure-update-passed-away.760653/page-6#post-111525126
TheGummyBear wrote:
RedMercury wrote:And yet, nobody, not a single person has said alcoholism is a good thing.

It's one thing to "not say alcoholism" is a good thing. It's another thing to disregard and not understand what it does to the human brain.

It's been pointed out in this thread that he was diagnosed with Weirnekes. That is a type of brain damage that can completely alter your whole character, and is most commonly caused by alcoholism. As I've previously mentioned in the thread, if you are hospitalised with alcohol related complications, a doctor won't rush to check your liver. They rush to prevent potential brain damage.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/smash-mouth-lead-steve-harwell-in-final-stage-of-liver-failure-update-passed-away.760653/page-7#post-111527637
TheGummyBear wrote:He was diagnosed with a form of severe, personality altering form of brain damage, most commonly found in the thiamine deficiency related to alcohol abuse, in 2013.

I respect your history of addiction, but if you know what he was diagnosed with, you probably wouldn't be so insistent beating this drum.
Oh yeah
Hegel wrote an incredibly dense and complex philosophical system you literally can’t disagree with in an academic debate. It’s genius.

It’s also gets so convoluted that I can say that Hegel invented gish-galloping without ever being credited by the crowd who loves to use that term.
(09-04-2023, 04:27 PM)Venice wrote: Edit: Bonus! ComedySmasher shows up to give his condolences!

[Image: MhEzs2K.png]
How did nobody else comment on the fact he claimed an internet meme as something unique about himself: "I don't know if I was ever really a fan ... but they were absolutely a massive part of my youth ... I make All Star jokes all the time"
(09-04-2023, 06:56 PM)Besticus Maximus wrote: 'I have anxiety about components' = I am an actual idiot who cannot plug thing A into thing B and turn it on, even though I present myself as an authority on videogame development

I'm gonna say that's at least a little bit justified even today

some cards don't fit in some cases, some power supplies don't power enough unless you pay attention to your components' requirements, you want ram your motherboard can actually support at full speed

a couple builds ago I took advice from a friend on a good cooler and it wasn't compatible with my motherboard

I don't
benji dateline='[url=tel:1693855956' wrote: 1693855956[/url]']
BisMarckie dateline='[url=tel:1693855396' wrote: 1693855396[/url]']
I hope anyone on this forum who doesn’t recognize Hegel as the only 19th century philosopher worth listening to gets banned.
Jeanluc

Who do you prefer? Schopenhauer? A guy who, if he were alive today, would be a wank dad grifter on twitter? Camby
3 users liked this post: HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth, Taco Bell Tower, benji
(09-04-2023, 07:26 PM)Venice wrote:
(09-04-2023, 05:43 PM)Hap Shaughnessy wrote: Reading era is the same general vibe as Kiwi Farms sometimes. There aren't many places as nasty and toxic as Era.

I'd say one big difference is that with Kiwi Farms, nearly all the users are either trolls or themselves know that they are genuinely awful, hateful people.

On ResetEra... they think they're the good guys (like Kyuuji, Nepenthe, excelsiorf, CuckyCal, etc...)

I don't think Kiwi Farms is as hateful and toxic as ResetERA.com.

I'd even go so far as making a half-serious argument that it's less toxic and hateful than Twitter just to push the point against people's unevaluated premises.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/smash-mouth-lead-steve-harwell-in-final-stage-of-liver-failure-update-passed-away.760653/page-3#post-111513756
TheGummyBear wrote:Yeah, it does seem some here don't truly grasp how serious and detrimental wernickes can be. Anyone who has been hospitalised with physical withdrawals from alcohol will know that the first thing the doctor will check for isn't liver failure, its wernickes.

When I've been hospitalised in the past, I've always been put immediately on a intravenous thiamine drip, before my blood works had even come back, because time is very much of the essence in preventing irreversible brain damage.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/smash-mouth-lead-steve-harwell-in-final-stage-of-liver-failure-update-passed-away.760653/page-4#post-111520287
TheGummyBear wrote:The thing there is that a lot of places do actually put limitations on who they sell alcohol to. Most supermarkets simply will not sell to someone who is obviously already inebriated for example.
The problem is that a lot of hardened alcoholics, and I include myself in this statement, get really good at hiding when they are drunk and can mask as sober.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/smash-mouth-lead-steve-harwell-in-final-stage-of-liver-failure-update-passed-away.760653/page-6#post-111524043
TheGummyBea wrote:Posts like this are really important.

I continue to struggle quitting alcohol. Despite knowing how much it hurts me.

Seeing someone who is able to make some success in altering their habits is inspirational.
3 users liked this post: HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth, Taco Bell Tower, Venice
(09-04-2023, 07:31 PM)benji wrote:
(09-04-2023, 04:07 PM)Taco Bell Tower wrote: https://www.resetera.com/threads/smash-mouth-lead-steve-harwell-in-final-stage-of-liver-failure-update-passed-away.760653/page-4#post-111520410
Quote:How about mods start implementing rules on any post or comment wishing death/violence/ harm against anyone to start with.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/general-guide-to-resetera.9777/post-21141033 wrote:Obituary Threads

We generally do not welcome celebration or cheering the death of public figures. Members that appear to be using an obituary thread solely to post about how glad they are that person is dead may be moderated. This does not preclude sober criticism of a person's legacy or mistakes in life. We simply do not want to celebrate death. Context will matter, and some individuals have done things so heinous that rare exceptions may need to be made.

???

How were they supposed to know that watering down that rule to avoid having to ban prominent members wouldn’t fix everything?
(09-04-2023, 07:36 PM)BisMarckie wrote: Hegel wrote an incredibly dense and complex philosophical system you literally can’t disagree with in an academic debate. It’s genius.

It’s also gets so convoluted that I can say that Hegel invented gish-galloping without ever being credited by the crowd who loves to use that term.

now I'm just picturing Hegel looking and sounding exactly like Ben Shapiro
(09-04-2023, 07:46 PM)benji wrote:
(09-04-2023, 07:26 PM)Venice wrote:

I don't think Kiwi Farms is as hateful and toxic as ResetERA.com.

I'd even go so far as making a half-serious argument that it's less toxic and hateful than Twitter just to push the point against people's unevaluated premises.

certainly has a lower death tally
(09-04-2023, 07:45 PM)BisMarckie wrote: Who do you prefer? Schopenhauer? A guy who, if he were alive today, would be a wank dad grifter on twitter? Camby
While I wouldn't endorse him necessary, I liked the part where Benjamin Tucker argued with people attacking straw man positions of his arguments so much that he decided to just adopt them seriously and alienated all his friends and allies in the process.
3 users liked this post: HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth, Taco Bell Tower, BisMarckie
(09-04-2023, 07:12 PM)Averon wrote: Is every other person on that site "an addict" of some sort? How many alcoholics, addicts, and junkies are on ERA?

All of them?
3 users liked this post: HeavenIsAPlaceOnEarth, Averon, Taco Bell Tower
https://www.resetera.com/threads/smash-mouth-lead-steve-harwell-in-final-stage-of-liver-failure-update-passed-away.760653/page-4#post-111520209

Duck Sauce wrote:Yep. There are vile people here, scum of the Earth.
 Hesright